Thread: Avatars

TIM
    it's so pretty type
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Avatars

If we are all trying to help each other understand people better and discover our possible type, why don't more members put their photo as their Avatar? Whether we like it or not, what a person looks like or at least what they choose to present to the world is the physical manifestation of their type. I know it would help me a lot anyway!
    Why or why don't you choose an image of yourself as your Avatar? Thanks.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think my avatar is LSE. I'm fine.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

somehow i think my current avatar is more representative of me as a person than my face could ever be.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would absolutely hate it a thousand times over if someone I know IRL stumbled upon this forum and recognized me and read something I'd written about them. "Do you think this person is SEE? I do and here's why." No, I like anonymity.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm only allowed to have a Jungatar!

TIM
    it's so pretty type
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for responding, I really didn't understand it. I've been a regular member of this forum for years and it always puzzled me.
    I am lucky enough to have a close friend also interested in Socionics and we talk on the phone and in person about the people in our lives, so the forum isn't a place where I would post anything that I would need anonymity. I can see now that others might need that. I also realized that not everyone likes what they look like and that could be yet another reason. Earlier today, Radio's reason was the only other one that I thought of. It sucks for me is all. LOL I get the essence of someone and would know their possible type immediately from a photo. Then, I could start putting all the pieces together from their posts, that's the order for me. I guess I could try REALLY hard to take a look at people's Avatars, really try to read into the image what the person is Implying represents their physical image. Whew, that's hard just thinking about it! I like so many images, any one image says crap about me. ONLY my physical image that you see here says IT ALL! I'd have to have a different Avatar everyday to get across to people on the internet who I am and what I'm about. But my eyes says everything. Take a look at me anyone reading this post, Ok, done. you know me, nothing's hiding. I'm an open book. LOL

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I prefer to keep my life compartmentalized...

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread gives off a kind of rapey vibe.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I get older every day, so I don't really see a reason updating avatar with my pic all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    This thread gives off a kind of rapey vibe.
    You want to buy some candy?

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's why i have an actress to pose as me and pretend to be me on tinychat... there's just too many creeps out lurking these days...
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who are you..?

also same answer as others: I simply don't want my face on display for internet viewers.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    I would absolutely hate it a thousand times over if someone I know IRL stumbled upon this forum and recognized me and read something I'd written about them. "Do you think this person is SEE? I do and here's why." No, I like anonymity.
    Same.

Also, I think if a student walked into my classroom and recognized me from here, I would just have to kill myself...
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    Ne-EII 5w4 sp/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone knows the username I use in forums they can easily google me and find everything I write here. Most people I don't care about, professionally though with my work I prefer not to be traceable back to all the stupid things I may or may not potentially say in the future on these forums.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that I display my inner workings best through other images. I may be the only one that sees it because I know myself, but I think both the art I like (and especially my music) says it better than I'm willing to directly state sometimes. This avatar I have now, I have it pretty much plastered anywhere it'll go as a wallpaper. I'm utterly drawn to it, so I didn't just slap down anything for my avater. I dunno, just how I do things, I do the same with my clothing. I have actual pictures of myself on my profile though.
    I am not covered in thorns
    nor am I covered in mold

https://soundcloud.com/#latitudes-official/latitudes-antechamber

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    who are you..?

also same answer as others: I simply don't want my face on display for internet viewers.
    I didn't think of that previously...but that's a good point lol. My ex (also ESI) always had the same worry, and cautioned me against doing so as well. And that obviously hasn't stuck -_-
    nor am I covered in mold

TIM
    FSE
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by macysmama View Post
    If we are all trying to help each other understand people better and discover our possible type, why don't more members put their photo as their Avatar? Whether we like it or not, what a person looks like or at least what they choose to present to the world is the physical manifestation of their type. I know it would help me a lot anyway!
    I'm a moderated user, but if I could use an avatar I'd use yours <3 damn u fine

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh,

But I think the real reason you want to categorize us through socionics is because it feels safer for you if people follow a script you have of us in your head. And well this is human nature and everybody is like that, we rarely accept people as they are, we accept them as how we write them to be.

So if I'm the shy gay IEI boy with a sweet face that's who I am, I really can't be anything more than that to you. And so you kinda see the shell of who I am (that's a big part of me really - that's not to say the shell is 'fake' or doesn't hold a truth) but you might be condescendingly dismissive to some of my other qualities because of that, and the same thing is true to everybody. I'm sure you have good intentions, it's just the outcome feels corny and maybe a little creepy sorry.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone that identifies as transsexual and doesn't yet have the means to change my body to how I want it, I'm not comfortable with people seeing me. And it doesn't help that I'm in the US Army as my means of getting money and a career. If I was open about it, I'd be considered to have a mental illness and medically discharged. I don't want that. No one should know who I am and no one that knows me in person needs to know that I identify as transsexual or have gender dysphoria.

TIM
    it's so pretty type
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truck, I can see your point, but as an ENFp, I would see the whole of you from your eyes. And I am the most accepting person, open to everyone in the socion to a fault. But your Avatar would be shown to everyone here and so I can totally understand your perspective on this. Thank you for the candid response.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Truck, I can see your point, but as an ENFp, I would see the whole of you from your eyes. And I am the most accepting person, open to everyone in the socion to a fault. But your Avatar would be shown to everyone here and so I can totally understand your perspective on this. Thank you for the candid response.
    I have to admit that I am with @truck on this one. I find it presumptuous to assume that you can see someone's essence from a photo. Any one picture only captures me within a moment of life and that moment determines what you see. You might see a person who is profoundly unhappy or extremely happy, but you can't know this because you weren't there with me. My essence is not in a picture and my eyes are not an open book. I can show you different pictures of me and you would notice that my eyes are never the same. Sometimes they sparkle because the person I am looking at makes me feel sparkly or they can look dull because I feel ugly and sad or they look loving because I love the person for whom I took the picture. My eyes are not a universal window into my soul or a way to determine who or what I am. It's much more personal than that.

I see what you are trying to say, but I really resent the idea that people think my essence is that easily captured and assessed.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I put a pic of me up so everyone knows where the posts are coming from. I got an older pic of me on my profile page; I've gained about thirty pounds of muscle since then, so new pic should be on the way whenever I care enough to update it. I love it when people have pics of themselves as their avatar; humanizes things a bit more, and it's good to keep in mind that there's a person on the other end of this. Lots of people, really.

As for people finding me? If people really wanna give that much of a shit and dig through all of my info like that, then sure, they can probably find me. Anything too personal's gonna end up somewhere where words don't linger for such a long time in front of all the world, chatbox be good for that. Makes it a bit tough for me to go in depth with a lot of insights, because I go off of what's in front of me so much, but we'll make it.
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    I put a pic of me up so everyone knows where the posts are coming from. I got an older pic of me on my profile page; I've gained about thirty pounds of muscle since then, so new pic should be on the way whenever I care enough to update it. I love it when people have pics of themselves as their avatar; humanizes things a bit more, and it's good to keep in mind that there's a person on the other end of this. Lots of people, really.

As for people finding me? If people really wanna give that much of a shit and dig through all of my info like that, then sure, they can probably find me. Anything too personal's gonna end up somewhere where words don't linger for such a long time in front of all the world, chatbox be good for that. Makes it a bit tough for me to go in depth with a lot of insights, because I go off of what's in front of me so much, but we'll make it.
    i basically agree with this. and i think of using a photo of myself sometimes. but i never go through with it, some kind of self preserving feeling i can't explain. it's not like anybody who actually knows me on here doesn't know what i look like anyway.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truck = B&D? Yay! I was worrying he wasn't here anymore when I didn't see that username.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    it's so pretty type
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I have to admit that I am with @truck on this one. I find it presumptuous to assume that you can see someone's essence from a photo. Any one picture only captures me within a moment of life and that moment determines what you see. You might see a person who is profoundly unhappy or extremely happy, but you can't know this because you weren't there with me. My essence is not in a picture and my eyes are not an open book. I can show you different pictures of me and you would notice that my eyes are never the same. Sometimes they sparkle because the person I am looking at makes me feel sparkly or they can look dull because I feel ugly and sad or they look loving because I love the person for whom I took the picture. My eyes are not a universal window into my soul or a way to determine who or what I am. It's much more personal than that.

I see what you are trying to say, but I really resent the idea that people think my essence is that easily captured and assessed.
    Well, I can. I'm sorry you feel resentment. I cannot change or take back my innate ability. I have an uncanny ability to see someone and in 2 seconds see their essence, the thing that is static and doesn't change in them. The "thing" that IS them. It doesn't matter if they are smiling, frowning, 5 years old or 50 in the photo or IRL. It doesn't matter what "One" moment the photo caught... It's like being hit in the forehead with a V8 all day long with everyone I encounter! LOL But it doesn't hurt. It's really quite beautiful, I take my ability seriously and connect on a very deep level in that one split second with people everywhere I go, from a good friend to a stranger at the grocery store.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well, I can. I'm sorry you feel resentment. I cannot change or take back my innate ability. I have an uncanny ability to see someone and in 2 seconds see their essence, the thing that is static and doesn't change in them. The "thing" that IS them. It doesn't matter if they are smiling, frowning, 5 years old or 50 in the photo or IRL. It doesn't matter what "One" moment the photo caught... It's like being hit in the forehead with a V8 all day long with everyone I encounter! LOL But it doesn't hurt. It's really quite beautiful, I take my ability seriously and connect on a very deep level in that one split second with people everywhere I go, from a good friend to a stranger at the grocery store.
    I think it's skepticism rather than resentment. People are so complex and I just don't think you can capture a whole person through their picture. Nor do I think you would want to, really, but that's just me.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm backing Kim up on this, I think VI can be a useful piece of the puzzle, but you can't always be sure, and no typology will fully take from the unpredictability of people.
    nor am I covered in mold

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see what you mean, but I think I would add one step further and say this: I think that it is true some people are very intuitive about other people and can quickly see who they are, however, all we are really capable of seeing is our own perceptions and projections of other people. Our minds literally give meaning onto what we see outside ourselves all the time. Every time you see someone, you must understand that it is not "their" essence you are seeing, but your minds own projections of who and what that person is, that you are seeing. Many individuals, and must certainly IEE's, can quickly sum up another person based on a few minutes of time, and IEE's can trust their vast experience to help them know someone. BUT, one must watch out for projections and assumptions.

This is the one gripe I have with IEE's, they often seem to make a lot of assumptions about others and how they think people are feeling and why they did this or that and who they are and why they are that way. I think out of all the sociotypes, IEE's are apt to make assumptions quickly and seem very self convinced that they know the right answer. That's my only gripe though, and I have found that if you point out where they are wrong (and I am speaking personally now), then they re orientate to this knew bit of information about me. Before then though, they seem to write their own stories that are not always true.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first thought was, " Another Marista who projects things on to people! Yay!"

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by anndelise; 09-21-2013 at 04:07 AM.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because the internet allows for a much greater level of image-crafting capacity that can't be easily reproduced through real-world means. I don't see this as a necessarily bad thing, it's just another outlet for creativity and personal expression, like a tattoo of Darth Vader smoking a blunt across your sternum.

I cannot change or take back my innate ability. I have an uncanny ability to see someone and in 2 seconds see their essence, the thing that is static and doesn't change in them. The "thing" that IS them. It doesn't matter if they are smiling, frowning, 5 years old or 50 in the photo or IRL. It doesn't matter what "One" moment the photo caught... It's like being hit in the forehead with a V8 all day long with everyone I encounter!
    I like to imagine I have this ability too, but in 7 out of 5 cases I've vastly misestimated the person's character based on some snap second irrationally-divined puzzle piece taken vastly out of context. You likely are as well, but it's hard to believe that you're wrong about something that has no right or wrong answer.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The best part of finding out who a person is is to form the connection itself and see where it takes you. I would like that to be on the other person's terms as much as on my own, so I don't see why I would want to assume that I know who someone is by looking at them. I can't (and don't want to) determine a person's essence without interacting with them. It also does not make sense that it would be a NeFi thing.
    ― Anais Nin

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    The best part of finding out who a person is is to form the connection itself and see where it takes you. I would like that to be on the other person's terms as much as on my own, so I don't see why I would want to assume that I know who someone is by looking at them. I can't (and don't want to) determine a person's essence without interacting with them. It also does not make sense that it would be a NeFi thing.
    Agreed. You can't have a deep connection simply from a split second judgment based on some superficial characteristic. The most you can realistically glean from something like that is an "I like that" knee-jerk reaction, but that's not a relationship.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually no can possibly do this. As "an ENFp" you may be more likely to show positive reactions to people's photos.. that doesn't actually mean anything though.

Also, an avatar by definition is an image you take on to represent yourself.

TIM
    FSE
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    I couldn't stomach using my own picture as an avatar... I mean, what if someone irl recognizes me? Yikes.

My current avatar is pretty representative of my default facial expression, even though its a dude.
    Thats not you in your pic? damn, disaapoint.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

< -- Just for you.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really like the idea of seeing someone's face. it personally helps me get a feel for who i'm talking to. but you can't look at a photo and know the person's behavior, their motivations behind their actions, the past experiences that made them who they are today, etc. but a combination of reading someone's posts AND seeing their face makes it a hell of a lot easier than your fucking avatar. people, at least be real about that. i'm sorry but your avatars are not better representations of you than your own damn face. this is coming from someone who's passion is painting people's faces. no avatar you pick on a fucking whim or even planned meticulously is as beautiful or as telling as your face.

i feel somewhat similarly, in that i gain a lot of my information visually, and i feel as if i can understand someone's essence by looking at them. but you're taking it too far. you sounds like so fucking presumptuous and naive. honestly, get over yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wacey View Post
    I can see what you mean, but I think I would add one step further and say this: I think that it is true some people are very intuitive about other people and can quickly see who they are, however, all we are really capable of seeing is our own perceptions and projections of other people. Our minds literally give meaning onto what we see outside ourselves all the time. Every time you see someone, you must understand that it is not "their" essence you are seeing, but your minds own projections of who and what that person is, that you seeing.
    yes
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    What is going on with everyone named 'Ezra' being in Beta. If my wife one-day suggests that name for one of our kids, I will quietly and sternly whisper, "No. It's cursed."
    Kill4Me won't be satisfied.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I know. I've seen that first hand from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wacey View Post
    I can see what you mean, but I think I would add one step further and say this: I think that it is true some people are very intuitive about other people and can quickly see who they are, however, all we are really capable of seeing is our own perceptions and projections of other people. Our minds literally give meaning onto what we see outside ourselves all the time. Every time you see someone, you must understand that it is not "their" essence you are seeing, but your minds own projections of who and what that person is, that you are seeing. Many individuals, and must certainly IEE's, can quickly sum up another person based on a few minutes of time, and IEE's can trust their vast experience to help them know someone. BUT, one must watch out for projections and assumptions.

This is the one gripe I have with IEE's, they often seem to make a lot of assumptions about others and how they think people are feeling and why they did this or that and who they are and why they are that way. I think out of all the sociotypes, IEE's are apt to make assumptions quickly and seem very self convinced that they know the right answer. That's my only gripe though, and I have found that if you point out where they are wrong (and I am speaking personally now), then they re orientate to this knew bit of information about me. Before then though, they seem to write their own stories that are not always true.
    I don't agree with you at all. I've seen Ne base types figures people out so quickly and then get bored with them. I think introverts can put a subjective twist to it.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast