Thread: How does an ENFj deal with ESTp's on-off behavior

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How does an ENFj deal with ESTp's on-off behavior

This thread was inspired by aubzatuck’s post about SLE’s inexplicable avoidant behavior.

I have an somewhat new SLE in-law who lives really far away. On a few rare occasions when I have been nearby I have invited her to lunch or drinks. She always turns me down with no excuses made. Just no. Her sisters who are EII and SEI usually join me whenever I invite them and we have a good time. At family gatherings the SLE is very friendly to me and full of fun.

I have been told that although this particular SLE likes to party, she absolutely will not do anything she doesn’t want to do. That attitude seems to be in keeping with SLE descriptions.

The reason I am curious is that if I am EIE, she is my activity partner. I realize many variables are at play in developing relationships. But after about the 4th time, I’m thinking how rude and screw you. Fi ignoring or not, rejection hurts, dang it! How does the mentor deal with the on again off again Fe of the commander? We don’t have to have a lame relationship. Or do we?
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

quit being whiney about it,,,

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring up it's always sunny in philidelphia
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    quit being whiney about it,,,
    I was going to respond WAAAAAAA to your post then I noticed you were an SLE and I decided to not be such a whiner....
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Bring up it's always sunny in philidelphia
    Maybe I have been going about this all wrong. Perhaps I should just throw a huge dramatic fit the next time she says no.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've got a better idea.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Find someone better to hang out with instead.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad you're with me, Iris! Rejection does suck, I don't care what anyone says otherwise. It doesn't even have to be a romantic rejection, it sucks either way. I mean, with the SLE who practically shunned me, it wasn't even romantic. It couldn't have been, there wasn't enough to go off of. I'm starting to think that SLEs hate interpersonal settings in general. Which still doesn't make sense, because I've seen SLEs hanging out in smaller groups, and I think, "What the heck? How did they get into that situation?"

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

This is so strange. The SLE I know, any maybe I live in sunny CA , they love people giving them attention and they will encourage anyone who shares their ideas with them and they will even inspire and motivate them to give it their best shot. With relationships, they will just "read" that you're interested in them if you keep hanging around them and eventually say "peter would you like to go have lunch with me." And if he says yes, he's game for hanging out. If you stroke his arm at lunch and he strokes back, he'll take you in an instant.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    This thread was inspired by aubzatuck’s post about SLE’s inexplicable avoidant behavior.

I have an somewhat new SLE in-law who lives really far away. On a few rare occasions when I have been nearby I have invited her to lunch or drinks. She always turns me down with no excuses made. Just no. Her sisters who are EII and SEI usually join me whenever I invite them and we have a good time. At family gatherings the SLE is very friendly to me and full of fun.

I have been told that although this particular SLE likes to party, she absolutely will not do anything she doesn’t want to do. That attitude seems to be in keeping with SLE descriptions.

The reason I am curious is that if I am EIE, she is my activity partner. I realize many variables are at play in developing relationships. But after about the 4th time, I’m thinking how rude and screw you. Fi ignoring or not, rejection hurts, dang it! How does the mentor deal with the on again off again Fe of the commander? We don’t have to have a lame relationship. Or do we?
    quit expecting him to submit to your standards of what it means to "care" about things.

EIE's usually bump into a problem with SLE's that they're unused to. They can't alter SLE's state of emotions where they usually can with most other types. They can, but its kinda like using your tongue to smear the surface of an ice cream cone. That's about as far as you're getting. He'll probably give you an empathetic facial expression and then resume ultimately not caring seconds later.

my EIE friend had a dream about me where he ripped off my head and I didn't care. Then he punted it and I still didn't care. Then he started cursing and shouting at my head and I still didn't care. Things between us smoothed out when I made the conscious decision to pat him on the back and tell him he was a good friend. He was very surprised.

Kinda fucked up dream, but yeah. Give up. The only reason IEI's can alter our emotional state is because they look like baby kittens as is, and we wuv baby kittens. <3

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Sorry for the kitten spam. I just figured a thread about SLEs wouldn't be complete without pictures of baby kittens!

TOUGH. MANLY. KITTEN-LOVER. All traits of SLEs.

SLE. MASTER OF CUDDLES.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post

SLEs don't want , don't respond well to Rational Fe. Which to me probably means Fe that makes sense lmao. You have to be an extremely adaptive IEI ...to their on - off stuff. Or play those kind of games to get their attention, dunno. They see EIEs as a threat. Actually EJs in general. Or even Judgers in general. They look like people who know what they're up to and have their asses under their grip.

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Iris

Sounds like that SLE wasn't raised by deltas who take offense to indifference, and is acting quite naturally. /complaining
    Last edited by Azure Flame; 01-03-2014 at 08:06 PM.
    Perfect<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>Loops and Tings

Ambivert / Aggressor / Trailblazer / Nomad / Alpha Caretaker / Free Spirit / Kevlar Speed Demon / Ninja

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

She probably doesn't like you or doesn't see you as someone to form a relationship with. It's as simple as that.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    Find someone better to hang out with instead.
    this, too. I suspect the Mentor is accustomed to handling people with Fe really well and stubborn about signs of failure . Theory says you're the master manipulator of the Quadra, so no worries for one piece of unresponsive Sle.