Thread: Altruism or manipulated helping? Altruism may have origins in manipulation

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Okay.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how they made the connection, other than tossing the term in at the beginning and end to say there is a possible connection. The actual body of the description was of manipulation...not altruism.

Edited to add: for example, I wouldn't link slaves as being altruistic for their masters because their doing what their master wants rather than from free-will.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    I wouldn't link slaves as being altruistic for their masters because their doing what their master wants rather than from free-will.
    Hush, let's see some funneh answers.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/the-...id/t.76835497/
    Last edited by Absurd; 09-01-2013 at 06:00 PM.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Virtues are the things we praise in our benefactors.

Ashton, what do you call an anonymous charity philanthropist? I don't mind a long answer.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First biological example has nothing to do with altruism. Altruism in not really self-less. It loops somehow to the individuals interests, which is improbable in the parasite example.

Clear example of altruism is the hoards of worker and warrior ants sacrificing their lives for the colony. Probably mostly without any form of coercion lead by their instincts. And those instincts are not implanted interest of someone else.
    They die to be effectively reborn as the colony and offspring colonies live on.

Second of your examples obviously talks about broods of queens. Things get more complicated because set of instincts of individual centered survival/reproduction. The difference in DNA between broods is probably negligible and so it is of interest of the first brood to facilitate the second. So this example can be considered relevant to altruism.

So...

Is altruism inherently result of coercion? No.

Coercion a negative thing? Sure.

Is it lack of coercion better than coercion always? No.
    For example I am for conscription army for the singular purpose of disilluding the population that non-involvement is a real thing.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Esaman View Post
    First biological example has nothing to do with altruism. Altruism in not really self-less. It loops somehow to the individuals interests, which is improbable in the parasite example.
    Yup, altruism is simply self-indulgence. Cool thread.