Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default EarthShips! Self sufficient Housing

I know it's not a new idea but this particular model is new to me, reusing tyres, bottles, cans and having very little outlay to build a home...offgrid! So the idea is you are completely self sufficient, the home has an internal waste unit, solar electricity, heating/cooling system and you can grow your own crops too. I imagine there are some things you still need to purchase but it will be very low comparitive.

Heres a quick vid of one mans Tedx talk regarding this. His story is pretty amazing, I watched a documentary on him a couple of days ago.He had his licence revoked and he was shunned by the local gvt...once he helped in the tsunami aftermath building his earthships for the victims he finally got given some credit for his work.

Anyway....

I want one!...It's fast becomming a dream for me, living in this self sufficient way, building communities with like minded folk who care about the planet... yah seems like the life for me.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

Creepy-bg

I've wanted one since i saw them on some travel show. i don't care about the enviornment and being around like minded people so much as find the idea of being able to be off the grid, comfortably, really enticing. buy the place, and then be good to go without having to pump money into living for the rest of life (although i'm sure here in the US, you will still have to do the property tax thing ).

Creepy-bg

also, the construction aspect really entices me. I've helped homeless friends build hobo shacks out in the desert using scavenged materials, and really loved doing that sort of thing.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Houses in outer space planned.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Geminatronix View Post
    I know it's not a new idea but this particular model is new to me, reusing tyres, bottles, cans and having very little outlay to build a home...offgrid! So the idea is you are completely self sufficient, the home has an internal waste unit, solar electricity, heating/cooling system and you can grow your own crops too. I imagine there are some things you still need to purchase but it will be very low comparitive.

Heres a quick vid of one mans Tedx talk regarding this. His story is pretty amazing, I watched a documentary on him a couple of days ago.He had his licence revoked and he was shunned by the local gvt...once he helped in the tsunami aftermath building his earthships for the victims he finally got given some credit for his work.

Anyway....

I want one!...It's fast becomming a dream for me, living in this self sufficient way, building communities with like minded folk who care about the planet... yah seems like the life for me.

I WANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a solution in search of a problem.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A ship at sea is its own world. To be the captain of a ship is to be the unquestionable ruler of that world and requires all of the leadership skills of a prince or minister. -- Col. Corazon Santiago, "Leadership and the Sea"

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Earthships are a good solution for single, self-sufficient houses or smaller villages in remote places, not so much for whole cities. Personally, I like the design and the idea behind it, but the best part is the very clever integration of heat-regulation, wastewater treatment and other useful devices directly into the building. And it's all realized with "low tech" means. Our houses could have been constructed similarly, but there was no need for that because people didn't care about the energy-efficiency. Masdar City is an attempt to create a self-sufficient city with a high-tech standard, but also by including useful low-tech elements like windcatchers.

However, I'd still prefer to live in an earthship rather than in Masdar City because they are more individual and constructed by motivated people and not oil sheiks with a huge budget. On the other handside, I don't want to talk down the potential value of Masdar City as an experiement for future self-sufficient cities or even arcologies. It just looks incredibly sterile to me.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa3s View Post
    Earthships are a good solution for single, self-sufficient houses or smaller villages in remote places, not so much for whole cities. Personally, I like the design and the idea behind it, but the best part is the very clever integration of heat-regulation, wastewater treatment and other useful devices directly into the building. And it's all realized with "low tech" means. Our houses could have been constructed similarly, but there was no need for that because people didn't care about the energy-efficiency. Masdar City is an attempt to create a self-sufficient city with a high-tech standard, but also by including useful low-tech elements like windcatchers.

However, I'd still prefer to live in an earthship rather than in Masdar City because they are more individual and constructed by motivated people and not oil sheiks with a huge budget. On the other handside, I don't want to talk down the potential value of Masdar City as an experiement for future self-sufficient cities or even arcologies. It just looks incredibly sterile to me.

Holy wow. It has podcars!! The future is nearly here.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Masdar is just a t-shirt project.

What ADNOC will do is capture CO2 and 'sequester' it in oil fields. In the process of sequestering it they will produce billions of barrels of oil which will be burnt and produce plenty more CO2. Then they state that the CO2 sequestered will 'offset' the CO2 footprint of Masdar

And how are they going to made the CO2? By burning natural gas in turbines to generate power and then by Methane Reforming to Syngas and extracting the CO2 using amine towers. This will be financially more attractive than running gas lift loops and high pressure gas reinjection into oil fields - but will of course have additional carbon footprint becuase they will have to change all of the well tubing and pipelines to be NACE rated in any field where they wish to inject the CO2.

It's an economic project and certainly not an environmentally friendly one.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Masdar is just a t-shirt project.

What ADNOC will do is capture CO2 and 'sequester' it in oil fields. In the process of sequestering it they will produce billions of barrels of oil which will be burnt and produce plenty more CO2. Then they state that the CO2 sequestered will 'offset' the CO2 footprint of Masdar

And how are they going to made the CO2? By burning natural gas in turbines to generate power and then by Methane Reforming to Syngas and extracting the CO2 using amine towers. This will be financially more attractive than running gas lift loops and high pressure gas reinjection into oil fields - but will of course have additional carbon footprint becuase they will have to change all of the well tubing and pipelines to be NACE rated in any field where they wish to inject the CO2.

It's an economic project and certainly not an environmentally friendly one.
    That sounds terrible!

I redact my previous post re: thinking it was super futuristic cool. I now think it is terrible because although i understand little of Jims post i do realise this is a field he knows a lot about. So now i am sad due to his knowledge.

Still though, Earthships!

InvisibruJim

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa3s View Post
    Masdar City is an attempt to create a self-sufficient city with a high-tech standard, but also by including useful low-tech elements like windcatchers.
    so, how many indian guest workers slaves does it take to screw in an environmentally friendly light bulb?

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    so, how many indian guest workers slaves does it take to screw in an environmentally friendly light bulb?
    Friendly reminder: a large part of the western consumerist driven economy is underpinned by sweatshop slave labor.
    ἀταραξία

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leckysupport View Post
    Friendly reminder: a large part of the western consumerist driven economy is underpinned by sweatshop slave labor.
    that makes me just as angry

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    No matter under what circumstances it is constructed it can still be used as an experimental site for better, future projects.

EDIT: I'm not endorsing the project for that reason.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mfckr View Post
    I like the idea of living off the grid and the prospect of lowered utility bills. Don't care about the zero carbon thing though.
    oh you bum.

i find that part appealing.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm converting my loft (most likely)... though theres not enough space to do it with tyres, tins and soil.

InvisibruJim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garbage Warrior is a 2007 film about architect Mike Reynolds, inventor of the Earthship style of building, directed by Oliver Hodge. It follows Reynolds' and how he developed the Earthship style of building and his struggle with the legislature of Taos, New Mexico, the location of his experimental Earthship community, in order to be allowed to build homes that do not match the structures of local building codes. The film concludes with a postscript showing Reynolds and his team of builders travelling to the Andaman Islands in the aftermath of the Boxing Day tsunami to assist the locals with disaster recovery and teaching them how to construct extremely low-cost homes.

A year back I helped constructing an Earthship project where a residental block of about 7 buildings 3 apartments each is built. The raw building is done by the residents themselves with help of volunteers (like me). Professionals are only contracted for specific tasks and finishing up. The working atmosphere was comfortable, international crowd, it was really fun to do. Met new people, new skills, good food, a great project, what more to wish for :-) Maybe one for myself ;-) But yeah for in the city the initial design lacks, i was thinking more about mansions with multiple layers, like there are these people who are developing the growing of vegetables in basements with red and blue LED lighting, imagine a multilayered story building with a food in the basement, shops above those, some fitness area with all the equipment generating some power, add some solar cells, wind, water, isolation and in my opinion a fine concept for a city.
    Last edited by remer; 02-13-2015 at 01:22 PM. Reason: youtube

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched that documentary a while back, I really liked the guy... wondered about his type...ILE/IEE I'd go for ILE first though, I think some people think all ILE's have to be super merry crazy energy all the time but I don't agree with that, they can be cantankerous crazy too.

InvisibruJim