Thread: documentary on how psychoanalysis fed 20th century propaganda

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default documentary on how psychoanalysis fed 20th century propaganda

some of you may have already seen this. it's a documentary about the use of freud's theories to create corporate and government propaganda. what to me was eye opening was the ironic role that radical individualism and self expression (especially the hippie kind from the 60s) played in facilitating attempts at control.

if you can't play the embedded file ---> http://vimeo.com/61857758

the doc is divided into 4 parts each about 1 hr long. part 1 is the best imo

Sigmund Freud's work into the bubbling and murky world of the subconscious changed the world. By introducing a technique to probe the unconscious mind, Freud provided useful tools for understanding the secret desires of the masses. Unwittingly, his work served as the precursor to a world full of political spin doctors, marketing moguls, and society's belief that the pursuit of satisfaction and happiness is man's ultimate goal.

Creepy-bg

i think you were gone when i posted this, but if you haven't gone through the old threads to see, you might find this one interesting too (documentary by the same guy, except replace psychoanalysis with game theory).

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...eam-of-Freedom

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bg View Post
    i think you were gone when i posted this, but if you haven't gone through the old threads to see, you might find this one interesting too (documentary by the same guy, except replace psychoanalysis with game theory).

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...eam-of-Freedom
    coolbeans! i'll check it out

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

sounds fascinating, will watch later when i have some time.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Political rhetoric involving freedom is always appealing to power, security concerns and various psychological traps. I wrote a paper about this in college. "Freedom is slavery" is the normal in political propaganda.

Fighting for freedom is more Fight for power invested with moral hypocrisy. It's usually some version of, "Fight for my side and you'll be completely "free".."

Creepy-bg

@xerx

I watched the first half last night, good documentary. a lot of the stuff in it I've heard/read about from conspiracy sites, but it's nice to hear it from another angle where everybody involved isn't demonized. I like how his documentaries together give a good impression of the many layers of why the world is what it is today, while still focusing on one thread in each.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bg View Post
    @xerx

I watched the first half last night, good documentary. a lot of the stuff in it I've heard/read about from conspiracy sites, but it's nice to hear it from another angle where everybody involved isn't demonized. I like how his documentaries together give a good impression of the many layers of why the world is what it is today, while still focusing on one thread in each.
    he's pretty good at presenting these esoteric facts which you'd totally miss from a superficial look into the subject. i'd never even heard of edward bernays before watching this.

it's easy to point to politicians or big corporations for using propaganda, but it's even better to get a nuanced review of its history and how it's created in the first place.
    Last edited by xerx; 09-01-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Creepy-bg

I found part 3 the most interesting. I've heard a lot of things about the Esalen institute, from them being a big player in the transhumanist movement to a MK Ultra programming headquarters to being Satanists etc... It was interesting watching their groups and such from that perspective, especially the thing about their "success" at the nunnery, causing most of them to leave the convent and the leftovers to become diehard radical lesbians. With the black and white films of their normal group sessions, the ones where the guy in the beard is getting people to unleash and accept their demons, I could totally see how some would see their work through the satanist angle.
    Last edited by bg; 09-01-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm gonna have to sit through this ... again