TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Time orientated vs Event orientated

A time orientated person thinks

"I'm going to leave work at 4:00, and I need to pick up my kid from the day care by six. Drive time will be about half an hour, so I shouldn't spend more than an hour and 15 minutes at the grocery store, just to be on the safe side."

An event orientated person thinks

"Once I leave work, I'm going to go the the grocery store and then go pick up my kid from day care."

Does this have to do with one's perceiving function, or is it more a matter of rationality vs irrationality. The theory is that sensors are more time orientated while intuitive types are event oriented. Any thoughts?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Creepy-aurora_faerie

Well...I'm event oriented I'm pretty sure. So, assuming I'm INFp, it makes sense.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you are INFp!!!

and yes, I think Ni types are most likely to be event orientated and Se types time orientated... it's just a theory up for debate though
    SEE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mmm, I disagree. I am extremely time-oriented. I'm a regular clock-watcher.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Why S versus N?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see them as mutually exclusive. If I'm not in a rush, I'm definitely event-oriented. However, if there's some reason why I need to be someplace at a certain time, I might calculate the times and work backwards. Usually though, I figure that if I do things as fast as possible, there's no point in looking at the clock, because looking at the clock isn't going to make things faster. Ultimately, some things are beyond one's control.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My entire life is time-oriented, even my free time fits into a preset time slot. If I try to let go and not to set everything into time slots, I have a panic attack.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is a bit of a continuum

I dunno... it's not looking like there's much of a pattern here
    SEE

Creepy-pokeball

Event with the exception of society's scheduling mumbojumbo you have to do in order to live =p

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I talked it over (just to be sure I'm not BS'ing myself). I'm definitely event-oriented. I'll think of all the tasks and I'll pick an order for them. "I can't clean the table, I have to wash the dishes first". I don't really think how long something will take. I don't even plan how long I will spend doing something (except when I'm in a hurry, then it will usually be with 5-min accuracy).
    When I lack the motivation to start with the first task, I'll assign a time. "I have to be washing the dishes at 12 pm". Other than that, the time is irrelevant.

PS! I am a slave to my plans, because I won't easily change them, but I don't think it's the ISFj kind of planning. I have to know the sequence, but I don't care about the time line when making plans.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Time orientated vs Event orientated

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Does this have to do with one's perceiving function, or is it more a matter of rationality vs irrationality.
    First impression is rationality vs irrationality matters. Perhaps intuition vs sensing matters too. SJs being most time oriented, NP most event oriented. Or perhaps NJs being most time oriented and SPs most event oriented. I can see a case for either.

Now this is pure speculation. Perhaps this should be broken down to individual functions? For example extroverts might be more likely event oriented and introverts time oriented etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's more Judging/Perceiving differences, though I'd pick more time-oriented, since that's the way I'd like to think I am now, since it's obviously better. You could say that your "event-oriented" example is really the absence of being aware of time.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there has not been a pattern in here that would indicate that irrational people are more likely to be event orientated. if fact, it almost seems to be the opposite.
    SEE

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    I think it's more Judging/Perceiving differences, though I'd pick more time-oriented, since that's the way I'd like to think I am now, since it's obviously better. You could say that your "event-oriented" example is really the absence of being aware of time.
    ?? J/P ??? Obviously better ???

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there has not been a pattern in here that would should that irrational people are more likely to be event orientated. if fact, it almost seems to be the opposite.
    He just dragged MBTI. There were discussions about collation between J/P and rational/irrational, but I don't know anyway.

For me, now I'm super event oriented. But it's just because I'm really tired of waiting for the bus or complained about being late. This only mean I seldom can go away from my place recently. I think I can if I have a driving license and my own car (and no worry about gas paying).
    Perhaps this is strongly related to the social, cultual and personal enviroment.
    ex-nameless ixtp
    *** Warning - Risk of poor communication and late response.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ABSOLUTELY time oriented.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember my old post.
    http://the16types.no-ip.info/forums/...?p=11717#11717
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    Someone estranged from society may not be able to show their Sx (especially ) and tend to "live in their head" instead.
    I'm still deprived rather than Socionic blah
    ex-nameless ixtp
    *** Warning - Risk of poor communication and late response.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time Oriented.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends. If I have a lot of time, I'm absolutely event oriented. Or, even better, if I'm enjoying myself, I'm still event oriented.

If like, I have everything packed and a few time to do things, then time-oriented. But like, I can decide to switch at random between things. Or change the order, and so it's not time oriented any more because I should always be re-orienteering my whole schedule.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm typically not aware of time: a man wanna do what a man wanna do!

That being said, when I wake up, even on a Saturday morning or a Sunday afternoon, I know what time it is without looking at the clock and not be more than 10 minutes off (unless I'm extremely tired). I never set the alarm, because I always wake up just before I need to wake up, and even if I set the alarm, I will keep hitting the snooze button until it gives in and shuts up...
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a problem with waking up. I've learned to sleep through alarm clocks and even turn them off in my sleep. I am physically incapable of working a job that I hate because I'll never make it into work on time. If I'm getting up for a good reason though, such as a job I enjoy, I can wake up anytime I need to (though I'll still hit the snooze button a bunch).
    SEE

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am physically incapable of working a job that I hate because I'll never make it into work on time.
    In my last job, which I hated, I typically arrived somewhere between 10AM and 12PM
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At my last job that I HATED I was late so often I got fired. There was more too it than that though... it was right after my friend died (I was already given my last few warning before then) and I was having some health issues due to an adderall misadventure. My boss HATED me (my attitude rubbed against her the wrong way I guess), but the assistant manager tried to keep me from getting fired by giving me warnings when she should have fired me. After I left that day, I was upset because I knew it would be harder to acquire financing for the property I was looking for, but I was so relieved... I knew I would NEVER have to go back to that place EVER again!!! What a glorious feeling!!!
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am definitely event oriented. I have no idea how long I'll spend at each stop and end up being early or late because of it.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I resigned myself in order to prevent from getting fired. Now I did have a 3 months notice, and I did hold them to it!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey CA - that's true for me too! If I set the alarm, I will always wake up just a little bit before it goes off. Odd.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am more event orientated than time orientated.

I would have quit that job six months before I was fired if I had not been looking for a property to buy.
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah and I don't know if I've ever had a job where I regularly got to work on time. Luckily, no one has ever cared.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    Hey CA - that's true for me too! If I set the alarm, I will always wake up just a little bit before it goes off. Odd.
    Do you also have this regardless of the time you need to get up, e.g. suppose you incidentally need to get up two hours earlier than your daily routine? I do, doesn't matter what time it is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI subtype

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it doesn't matter. If we're going on a trip and my husband wants to leave at 7 so he wants me to wake up at 6, I will wake up at 5:50.

And I'll just lie in bed for ten minutes till I hear his alarm go off.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And then when his alarm goes off I'll complain about having to get up at such an ungodly hour.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    And I'll just lie in bed for ten minutes till I hear his alarm go off.
    And then hit the snooze button and lie there for 9 more minutes...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I _do not_ think this is type related, although it could be associated with statics and dynamics.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it all comes down to, what you can do in your head, vs what you need to write down/ memorize. And S people can't feel time so they need to use a "time ruler" to measure events. While N people use their internal sense of time to do the actual measurements, but they still need to know what needs to be measured. On the contrary however you will find that N people suck at telling distances and the scale of large objects such as mountains without a reference.
    -Slava

What a great replacement for a nany