Thread: Windows 8 as New Coke: That's an insult to New Coke

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Windows 8 as New Coke: That's an insult to New Coke

http://www.infoworld.com/t/cringely/...ew-coke-2184411. What elements are at play when spectacularly bad business decisions are made by large, otherwise successful companies?
    2. Why did I spend a lot of money last February to buy a computer that makes me actually miss Windows Vista?
    3. Where IS the start button? It has to be in here somewhere.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand the hatred of Win8. It seems like there's more of a cult of bad press than any actual legitimate grievances. What I'm interested in is why the media is mobilising against microsoft.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Grain of a Song of Sand View Post
    I don't understand the hatred of Win8. It seems like there's more of a cult of bad press than any actual legitimate grievances. What I'm interested in is why the media is mobilising against microsoft.
    Do you think perhaps it is a case of the media trying to stir controversy to give themselves something to write about? That could be true. Looking at it from one viewpoint, the world is a better place because of these innovative companies helping us get more done and helping us expand our horizons. And Apple vs Microsoft creates a nice healthy competition. So why would people waste time criticizing? On the other hand, it could be an actual case of failure to integrate new technology with the needs of the consumer. I am able to do less with my new computer. Taking a tutorial would probably help me, but I don't like tutorials and previous upgraded computers did not necessitate them. And with many issues, I don't even know where to begin to search for help. So in my opinion, this is a step backward for me and presumably many others. (This essay has no paragraphs, because when I hit enter to make a line space, nothing happens. That was not a problem on my old computer with this website. To create a post with paragraphs, I have to open publisher create the paragraph containing essay, and copy it and paste it into the16types. About half the time, mysteriously, some of the line spaces disappear and I have to re-copy and paste.)
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it is just that Microsoft fell out of touch with people like you. All the technos like me adapted fine, or even liked it. Maybe Microsoft was just bidding at the current generation of users, while ignoring people like you? I do like your idea that it's just a controversy designed to push papers. There's also possibly something sinister behind it, when you consider Valve's relationship with Win8, and their plans to push hardware riddled with sensors, but I do acknowledge that's pushing the boundaries of conspiracy theory

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like Windows 8. The changes from 7 are not helpful at all. I don't like having to go to the right hand side of my screen and hope that it registers so that I can click to search for a simple application. It is only useful if you have a touch screen. There are lots of other counter intuitive changes. Stupid windows 8.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Obama.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's fine.

I would pick any win OS against Linux.

Had both.

(And you don't miss Windows Vista)
    Last edited by Absurd; 08-09-2013 at 09:05 PM.

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    It's fine.

I would pick any win OS against Linux.

Had both.
    Which distribution?
    What is a utopia? A dream unrealized, but not unrealizable. -- Joseph Dejacque
    EII (INFj) - 9w1 - INFP - Scorpio - Hufflepuff
    Johari - Fediverse

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like it on my laptop. I don't think I'd like it on my big computer very much... so I'm sticking with windows 7. Lots of people still use windows xp and have no issue.

I have little respect for Bill Gates as a person though. He's condescending, arrogant, and seems like his dick smells. Because he's so bloody rich, he doesn't even really need to try with his products anymore.

(part of me feels like I should be guilty for trash talking people but fuck off God, I'm allowed to dislike people for whatever reason I want. SO THERE.)

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<--> why all the h8 against windows 8? i like metro; i hated the stupid start button since windows 95.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    (And you don't miss Windows Vista)
    Ha! Yes, you are probably correct about that. But Windows 8 is not better.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    Ha! Yes, you are probably correct about that. But Windows 8 is not better.
    If not better than Vista (and Linux), I'm inclined to disagree.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tablets are like new toys. People like toys. People usually hate office work. Quess with what they do their office work. Thats right, with Windows devices. Windows tablet means NO toy.