TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Comedy podcasts/albums

Hi guys,

My grandmother is unwell, and in hospital. I think she's stressed due to the busy environment, so I thought it would help to get some inexpensive audio equipment and something humorous to listen to. She's a baby boomer, so something inoffensive would be ideal.

Thanks!

(And please... no well wishes or concern. Not that I would be ungrateful, but I feel I need calm to process this turn of events. Thanks.)

scribbles in the dark

TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

i don't know any comedy albums or podcasts but baby boomers seem to like bill cosby and he's inoffensive?

i bet @JWC3 would have suggestions.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the heads up @lungs

Yeah, I would advise giving any comedians I mention a quick listen yourself because I can tend to let offensive things slip through on accident since I'm incredibly hard to offend personally. That being said, I don't recall Sinbad's stand-up being too offensive, though it might be hard to find.

Jimmy Carr is hilarious, I don't find him offensive at all, his stage personality is that of a proper English gentleman and he only really violates that in humorous ways. For example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzb_p1mRW1M if that's too much for her, then remember that's him trying to be offensive, Carr has tons of perfectly kosher material though I could envision him slipping in a swear word rarely.

Mitch Hedberg is fairly inoffensive, he's sort of a cult classic comedian at this point. I don't recall him swearing much or being too lewd, though he does talk about alcohol at times. Regardless of minor things like that I've yet to encounter anyone who hasn't been able to enjoy his stand-up.

Demetri Martin is really intellectual. Not really offensive. His comedy is an acquired taste. Certainly not laugh out loud funny, but entertaining if your in the mood for it.

Jerry Seinfeld has inoffensive material.

Tim Allen is family friendly.

Frank Caliendo is likely the most talented impressionist alive today, though he certainly swears at times.

Bill Cosby is very family friendly, lungs was right about that.

Jim Gaffigan does entire sets about food. Not that offensive for the most part? But I wouldn't put it past him and I haven't seen his stuff in some time.

Woody Allen might be something she could appreciate.

I'm not really sure beyond those. What I suggest though is disregard how offensive the material is, and rather just search for stand-up comics that were alive and performing when she was a young adult or teenager. I have no idea how old your grandmother is and am not too familiar with most of the not so modern comics, though it's a sure bet that if she grew up in an inoffensive culture, the comics that were successful performing in that culture would also be fairly inoffensive.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The three stooges, maybe?
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.