Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Look Older?

Creepy-female

Default How To Look Older?

Last edited by female; 07-09-2015 at 07:20 AM.

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chain smoking.

But in all seriousness- I'm not sure if I have specific advice dress-wise. Sounds like you've already investigated that, but I do know that body language, aura and, presence speak volumes. You might consider your tone of voice, what you say and how you say it, and ensure to keep posture upright (head and shoulders). Picture yourself as an older professional, try to embody and project the spirit of a much older, even more confident you. It'll take time, but I have every confidence you'll portray the quality of professional appearance that you want with additional practice/experience.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Perhaps more conservative clothes (business attire such as suit jacket and skirt) and glasses? And I agree with applejacks, upright posture helps, too).
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of professional situation? Like to a bank or interview?

Pencil skirt, outdated black heels (thicker heel, chunky parts), nude hose, button up long-sleeved shirt (no print), glasses.
    Simple basic attire, simple lines, basic colors (black, navy, or brown).
    Minimal but chunky jewelry, such as a thick pendant, one thick bracelet, either a pearl like non-dangle earing, or a chunky round dangle earing.

Since you are so tiny, thin and small things, and flimsy, whispy, and pretty things just adds to your delicateness. The chunkier items might give a sense of more...beef...in your personality...and more straight-forwardness to your visual image. Also, breaking up the colors into chunks adds to that.

But, because you are so tiny, you have to beware of the kinds of chunks a large woman might wear when she's hiding her flaws or distracting the eye away from her body. Those kinds of chunks would overpower you, and make you look like you're trying to play dress-up.

Edited to add:
    Oh, and an alternative might be more mannish attire. (Pressed slacks, button up shirt with rolled up sleeves, etc.)
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My search abilities leave a lot to be desired, but upon searching for petite women business, i got these:

The two left images.

The right side image:

The main pic here:
    http://www.roleplaygateway.com/rolep...errka-impatera

And:
    (notice the large collar ?lapels? And thick cuffs showing. Though this much black near your own face would probably overwhelm you, choose a lighter more appropriate color.)
    Last edited by anndelise; 07-28-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're going to be a hot looking granny. People always think I'm 5+ years older than I am .
    It's because of my face/demeanor. I dress my age.
    And I've a deep-ish no-nonsense voice. Hopefully. Or I just look like I've been rode hard and hung up to dry... In which case....
    Oh noeeesss.

Also I wear a lot of solids and neutral colors.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell, I wish I knew. I got carded at a movie for people 16 and over the other day.

I don't think it's because you're short. I'm 5"8 and people always think I'm far younger than I actually am.

Having big eyes is the killer I think. Even though I'm sort of mean looking it reminds people of baby animals or something.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't find it insulting at all.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

wear shoes where the color matches your pants or your skirt; wear light color shirts on top; choose clothes of high quality; you can buy cashmere at thrift stores, for instance and upper brand clothes that are stitched better with higher or denser quality materials. Cut down on pretty flowery patterns and colorful things. The colors should be solid or have a geometric pattern instead of flowers. Accessorize with a bold flower piece like a broach instead of a flowery shirt. Don't get looser clothes, get clothes that fit well; if you choose a flowery dress, pair it with a stripped cardigan or a solid color on top but wear the cardigan so that it makes it look like you're wearing a skirt instead of a strappy dress. Usually solid color mid or high heel shoe that is closed toe tends to give the older look. Remember, if you're a small person the geometric or flower patters should be small, if you're a bigger person, you can get away with bigger prints. accessorize with bigger jewelry usually helps like thick necklace like this:

See, you can take a simple white tee and put a bold jewelry that makes you look "sophisticated" "polished"
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 07-29-2013 at 08:10 AM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fireyed View Post
    The other day some lady said I looked 12 and I'm 26... yes, it's very insulting. I often wonder if people are referring to my appearance or my personality when they say things like that.
    Interesting. I know I'm a man (/manchild), but I've received comments that it's not obvious how old I am (presumably due to personality). The peer group that produced this opinion consists of a spread of 18-23. The commenter was the oldest in the group. Maybe partially mediated by the fact that I'm the most absent and enigmatic of the group.

Speaking of man things, it might work to alter your body language? @anndelise mentioned using jewelry to add force to your appearance. Additionally, you might try displaying your thumb, or keeping an erect, wide-legged posture. (I don't know if that works for women. but it's very visceral and striking in men). Female body language is conditioned toward diminutivism and shrinking. Maybe it'll make you look like a lesbian or something, idk.

Personally and subjectively, there's something of sour grapes in trying to resolve a small woman who uses confident, aggressive body language. Ultimately however you accept that and buy into the persona, and feel "Yeah, she's the boss and in control". I'm a shrinking omega male though.

Sorry if this comes across as misogynistic.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Black, also a lot of things with looking young has to do with posture, gait and other things. I find it much easier to assess age by gait/movement than by style or appearance.

Always buy clothing that fits your body.

Posture(this will also make you look younger if you're older)
    http://glamourdaze.com/2010/08/1940s...o-posture.html

This is a semi-joke, you don't need this sort of posture, but it's a idea of how people might look at you differently with different posture.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You will look old soon enough, enjoy your youthfull apperance while you are living in it. It will not last and one day you will kick yourself for even fretting about it.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I don't find it insulting when people say I look like I'm 5 or so years younger (that's actually kind of a compliment) but when people say I look prepubescent, it really bothers me...
    It's probably just a diss.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

as early as maybe five years ago i used to get high schoolers asking me what school i went to. not much really changed except i started to look older. the only thing i noticed was that i got less of those comments (and less unwanted attention in general) when i started wearing business casual clothes instead of jeans all the time. but that's already been addressed here. it does suck not being taken as seriously or having people baby talk you and underestimate you. i feel you.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't find it insulting when people say I look like I'm 5 or so years younger (that's actually kind of a compliment) but when people say I look prepubescent, it really bothers me...
    I have no idea how someone could honestly think that.

I got carded for buying a sixpack a while ago. That would be normal in the USA, but considering that the beer-drinking age is 16 here, it was kinda ridiculous. Maybe the cashier didn't know. Otherwise, I think I don't look much older or younger.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm no makeup genius at all, but try darker bronzers (I think that's how they're called, I think...) on your skin. Must be darker than your skin complexion plus proper clothes as has been mentioned by few on here.

People say wisdom comes with age, although when it comes to some people I know in real life, it looks like age comes alone.

this whole thing has nothing to do with clothes or make up,unless of course these make you feel like you have to play the part.actually ,as far as i am concerned, make up (especially eye make up) has a weird effect on my attitude,in that way. anyhoo,you don't want to look older but more influential. try to control the way you talk and the way you scan your surroundings.appear like you know something that others dont and that makes them look like little kids .be wise, condescending and helpful. also have a barely-there barely ironic smirk.think LSI.if they want an act,they will have it.
    say that u work at a fast food restaurant and u mix an order. if u do the Game properly,they will take it and leave you a tip.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Become judgmental as well is what I wanted to add to the16types' exposé.

absurd quoted me
    Last edited by Kalinoche buenanoche; 01-06-2014 at 01:23 AM.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could also just respond with something like "isn't it great? My youthful appearance will come in handy when I'm your age."
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hmm, growing a moustache/beard wasn't suggested yet. Werd.

Quote Originally Posted by the16types View Post
    of course u can be yourself and be and look completely content with it.this will be the most effective and mind-boggling thang to do.
    You 'sound' 12 years old.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa3s View Post
    I got carded for buying a sixpack a while ago. That would be normal in the USA, but considering that the beer-drinking age is 16 here, it was kinda ridiculous. Maybe the cashier didn't know. Otherwise, I think I don't look much older or younger.
    I think sometimes cashiers are just kind of droning (can't blame them tbh) because I also almost got carded some months ago, and I wasn't even cleanly shaven.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Almost? Like the cashier ended in mid-sentence?

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I think sometimes cashiers are just kind of droning (can't blame them tbh) because I also almost got carded some months ago, and I wasn't even cleanly shaven.
    Yeah, or maybe the shop has a strict policy. It's better to be sure then rather than paying fines for selling alcohol or tobacco to minors.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Almost? Like the cashier ended in mid-sentence?
    Yes (not joking).

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh, anyway, a guy I know is I think one or two years older than me and in some clubs/shops they still ask him for ID, so you're not alone, FGD.

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Same, because I don't look prepubescent, at all. Like Hkkmr said, I think it's a passive aggressive way used to belittle me. A lot of the time its been said behind my back, and its always said by older women, particularly while I'm working.
    If they ever say anything to your face please try innocently slip in something about HRT patches. I know exactly the kind of women you're referring to, and I loathe them.

Creepy-theticalanti

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Minimal but chunky jewelry, such as a thick pendant, one thick bracelet, either a pearl like non-dangle earing, or a chunky round dangle earing.
    I think jewelry is important. I always perceive women who wear a bracelet or necklace as a bit older. You don't see 12-year olds strutting around with bling-bling. Check out the necklace of this lady:

It looks like the rest of her outfit, she could be trying to look younger, but just take the necklace from that picture. Something more bold and golden could stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    I went into a professional situation having done my makeup nice and wearing clothes that I though were pretty and interesting and getting the ol "you look so young" spiel.
    How did you have your hair done? Just curious. Believe it or not, your hair is the #1 thing people judge you on in the first 8 seconds of meeting you. This is traced back to biological reasons - your hair represents your health the previous 2-3 years. So upon meeting someone, you have an idea how healthy & happy they might be, or how malnourished or desperate they might be.

Your clothing, accessories, and hair, etc., short-term would be important:

^These pictures are a couple of ladies who appear smallish, but with the right clothes and style, appear professional, older, and well-respected.

All of those suggestions would be more short-term.

Long-term, would it be possible for you to get your weight up to 110 lbs? I don't know how easy/hard it is for you to gain weight. Girls can't bulk up as quickly as men, but if you hit the gym a bit, I'm sure you could go from 100 to 110 relatively easily in maybe 3 months or sooner. This would help you appear a bit older.

Also, would it be possible to grow your hair out? In my personal opinion, longer haircuts make women appear older, while shorter haircuts can appear more boyish and youthful. Maybe something at least mid-length like the couple pictures I posted above could help.

I think the good part about your image is that you have cute, delicate features. That means you can wear strong professional business attire and still come across fierce. If you had a bigger body, you might be limited to the professional attire you could wear, without coming across 'butch' or like a bitch, if I may use that word. Since you're smaller by nature, it's tough to come across as overbearing, so you could go full-blown business professional attire, and your delicate features would come across as dangerously sexy.

/prepares to get flamed for something being misinterpreted

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the16types View Post
    say that u work at a fast food restaurant and u mix an order. if u do the Game properly,they will take it and leave you a tip.
    lol what?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jewelery is for Jewish Beta people, William. Ask mikemex.

TIM
    FSE
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't use like so often. "omg, like this bud is soooo, like, moist and flavorful."

Also, try to use good posture unless you're drunk and depressed and leaning on a bar and crying into your adult beverage.

Don't mention hello kitty, video games or 420 unless you're around other stoner/nerd/hipsters.

Don't wear hello kitty, video game or 420 themed clothing.

Stop wearing t-shirts with words or pictures.

Speak up when you're talking to people, don't be shy.

Stop wearing Converse everywhere you go.

Get a haircut that makes you look your age(if/when you grow hair).

Remove silly bumper stickers from your car.

Wear a lot of v-necks.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best way to look older is to wait a couple of years.

Don't use like so often. "omg, like this bud is soooo, like, moist and flavorful."

Also, try to use good posture unless you're drunk and depressed and leaning on a bar and crying into your adult beverage.

Don't mention hello kitty, video games or 420 unless you're around other stoner/nerd/hipsters.

Don't wear hello kitty, video game or 420 themed clothing.

Stop wearing t-shirts with words or pictures.

Speak up when you're talking to people, don't be shy.

Stop wearing Converse everywhere you go.

Get a haircut that makes you look your age(if/when you grow hair).

Remove silly bumper stickers from your car.

Wear a lot of v-necks.
    Then you might as well directly kill yourself.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Then you might as well directly kill yourself.
    Even directly? Not almost?

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    I get a lot of attention and comments that I look "young" and that "you look like you're 12 years old" and etc. Maybe it's the fact that I'm 5'1.5 and 100 pounds but as I didn't exactly choose to be this height and weight I'd like to know if any of you guys have any tips to look older. Maybe its supposed to be a compliment but I never know how to take the "you look 12" comments and I'd like to seem as though I discourage those comments because they doesn't make me feel complimented, just weird. I went into a professional situation having done my makeup nice and wearing clothes that I though were pretty and interesting and getting the ol "you look so young" spiel. Maybe its how I look or come across but if it is I'd like to know so I can present myself in a different way in these situations. If you have any tips on hair, makeup, clothes, attitude, anything that would help me look older, and yes I mean superficially older because I am NOT 12 years old, please share them here.
    Hmmm... well i have seemed to have passed the stage where i get asked for identification now, it took until possibly the age of thirty. I'm also petite (even smaller than you). I think my reaction to the cute/young comments was pretty feral. It did used to upset me at times but i found ways for it to be mutually amusing/beneficial also. I shall continue in a way in which all decrepid old fogies should and say 'you will be grateful when you are older' /patronising.
    Oh! One thing i did do was wear high heels...all the time, until i became an expert runner in them (just the occaisional trip to a&e)... a friend used to cal me 'super heels'. And i suppose i used to dress quite quirkily.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another good tip is to cut your lower arm so people can see and count your annual rings.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Creepy-bg

I got asked if I wanted the senior discount bus pass a few months ago.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bg View Post
    I got asked if I wanted the senior discount bus pass a few months ago.
    Ouch.

So..uh...did you take the discount??
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Ouch.

So..uh...did you take the discount??
    no. i buy bus passes at the grocery store before going to the bus stop. you have to show proof (some sort of ID) of disability, seniority, or student when you use a discounted bus pass on the bus.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bg View Post
    no. i buy bus passes at the grocery store before going to the bus stop. you have to show proof (some sort of ID) of disability, seniority, or student when you swipe a discounted bus pass on the bus.
    Our area hasn't begun the latter part of that, yet. We do have to show it to buy the pass, and they type it into their system so noone can buy multiple passes on the one ID.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast