Thread: Spartacus (the sexiest of shows)

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Spartacus (the sexiest of shows)

Anyone? I just started to watch and I am going gaga over this onslaught of half-naked (occasionally naked) gladiators, blood, and sex. And the hottest gay couple in the history of television hasn't even shown up yet. It goes very well with a sixpack (lame pun totally intended).
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Anyone? I just started to watch and I am going gaga over this onslaught of half-naked (occasionally naked) gladiators, blood, and sex. And the hottest gay couple in the history of television hasn't even shown up yet. It goes very well with a sixpack (lame pun totally intended).
    Nope. I'm extremely offended that it treats men as sex objects.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Nope. I'm extremely offended that it treats men as sex objects.
    It treats women as sex objects, too. I am just not particularly interested in sexy women.
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To complete your sexual objectification of men, you should sniff gladiator sweat mixed with olive oil like ancient Roman women used to do.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

To complete your sexual objectification of men, you should sniff gladiator sweat mixed with olive oil like ancient Roman women used to do.
    Believe me, if I could find myself a gladiator, I would.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Oh for heaven's sake!
    ― Anais Nin

Creepy-male

I've seen it and its a bit over loaded in its portrayal of sex and violence and is a sort of dionysus version of ancient roman society. The main plot line though revolves less around those aspects as trying to tell a modified version of a slave/gladiator who seeks freedom. The conditions of his slavery are of course sympathetic so the audience relates to the protagonist.

Still like Ridley Scott's version the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcL7nYVcrbk

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first season and the prequel season were entertaining, but after that it was just sort of meh. Seriously though, I think you see every single actor and actress on that show naked at some point.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hope it features feminists fighting capitalism and bolsheviks saying it is necessary even though no such movement was needed in SU.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Right on the money once again.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Just for the record, the fight scenes are far less interesting than the story and the gorgeous men running around. But really, there are not many shows out there that have more half-naked male bodies than female ones and I appreciate, however odd that sounds, that both genders are objectified equally.
    Last edited by Kim; 08-02-2013 at 01:19 AM.
    ― Anais Nin

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Looks like xerx is trying to evade you with his sexist Marxist rhetoric, Dolphin...

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This show is some kind of absurd toss up between desperate housewives and Sparta.

If the Roman protagonists spent half as much time directly dealing with Spartacus instead of screwing and betraying each other they would have finished by the 2nd episode.

If the Rebel Slave protagonists spent half as much time overthrowing Rome instead of screwing and betraying each other they would have had a successful revolution by the 2nd episode.

I'm glad we have returned to a condition where sexual objectification is not only socially acceptable, but economically profitable and allowed on the forum without rock throwing.

Sexual objectification : High Culture, Neuvo Art, Profitable.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post

I'm glad we have returned to a condition where sexual objectification is not only socially acceptable, but economically profitable and allowed on the forum without rock throwing.
    Make sure you differentiate when commenting on previous objections to the objectification of women. I have never objected to a television show that objectifies women. My criticism when it comes to sexism is geared towards other forms thereof and therefore my drooling over male gladiators does not pose a contradiction.

There will probably other forum members who object to Spartacus because it objectifies and that's ok. I pick my battles in ways that allow for some enjoyable distractions during my battle with everpresent sexism.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure you differentiate when commenting on previous objections to the objectification of women. I have never objected to a television show that objectifies women. My criticism when it comes to sexism is geared towards other forms thereof and therefore my drooling over male gladiators does not pose a contradiction.

There will probably other forum members who object to Spartacus because it objectifies and that's ok. I pick my battles in ways that allow for some enjoyable distractions during my battle with everpresent sexism.
    Agreed,

Men and women should be allowed to get their junk out in good taste. They should also allowed to groom and treat their body as commodity if that is what they choose to do.

People should even be allowed to join them in their fun and games if that is their thing, or not if it is not their thing.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Period sounds really sexist.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well...

Doesn't really go well for any one's struggles against sexism with that kind of strong language.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

But I'm not going to think about Kim's sex life, or choose to analyze her feelings. That maybe an area of creativity for you, but I'm not emotive.
    She is not asking you to.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She is not asking you to.
    lol, its right there at the top of a post...

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nop. Not going to happen in any quantum reality that I'm a part of.
    Sheesh, relax - nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to go down this revolting road of sweat and shame.

I DON'T EVEN HAVE A FUCKING SEX LIFE! Why do you think I am watching sweaty gladiators?

― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sheesh, relax - nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to go down this revolting road of sweat and shame.

I DON'T EVEN HAVE A FUCKING SEX LIFE! Why do you think I am watching sweaty gladiators?
    Thank you for letting me off the hook.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thank you for letting me off the hook.
    You are welcome. Just try to be a little less forceful with your refusal next time - delicate feelings might get hurt.
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are welcome. Just try to be a little less forceful with your refusal next time - delicate feelings might get hurt.
    To that I counter: you are free to be as forceful as you want in making fun of my - at the moment - non-existent sex-life.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

from another female's and outsider's perspective, i don't see xerx as misogynistic, including subtly or unconsciously so. i know that he often makes outrageous-sounding tongue-in-cheek posts, and that's how i saw his initial posts in this thread.

socionically speaking, this seems like an Fi-centered conflict: the Ti type unwittingly transgressed and and is getting Fi'd for it, which he is not going to respond well to - hence the stark refusal to do what the Fi type insists he should.

(this is not to denigrate dolphin's or Kim's perspectives - just sharing my own.)

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    from another female's and outsider's perspective, i don't see xerx as misogynistic, including subtly or unconsciously so. i know that he often makes outrageous-sounding tongue-in-cheek posts, and that's how i saw his initial posts in this thread.

socionically speaking, this seems like an Fi-centered conflict: the Ti type unwittingly transgressed and and is getting Fi'd for it, which he is not going to respond well to - hence the stark refusal to do what the Fi type insists he should.

(this is not to denigrate dolphin's or Kim's perspectives - just sharing my own.)
    Thank you glam.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I admit, my soul kinda likes the gender conflict going on in this thread. =p

I never saw spartacus but fuck yeah homoeroticsm. <3

I suppose I should have empathy for straight guys being uncomfortable, but I'm not that big of a mary sue. In fact it's like 'boohoo str8 men, cry me a river!' I mean we have to put up with endless talk from straight men on what girl they find hot and want to degrade via sex too. I feel like what strrrng said about empathy being an illusion or whatever kinda true actually. There's only power, or lack of it. I think it's sorta natural, women/gay men want to see gladiators brutally having sex and killing each other in the throes of male/male passion and straight men want to see Idk kate upton being throat fucked (or whatever). Or some lesbian orgy with them as the only man.

does this make me a bad person? where is strrrng anyway...

(this makes Uncle Rob our savior btw. Since he's bisexual he is the only one that can heal the planet for the war between Straight and Gay will go on for millennium... woof is bi too but uncle rob is more fitting for the role.)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's terribly cheesy, like a soap opera of the roman world...
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post

ftr i wasn't offended by xerx either

lol @ "getting Fi'd" i like that term

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

This thread needs female gladiators..

Also men are ugly, disgusting and gross...

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bumping this to reify my earlier point

women who deserve respect:

Barbara Mcclintock

Lise Meitner

Agatha Christie

Mary Wollstonecraft

women who don't deserve respect:

(and similarly for men)
    Last edited by xerx; 08-09-2013 at 12:51 AM.

Creepy-bg

everyone deserves respect.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man vs lesser man.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

STOP RUINING MY THREAD!

Take this:

spartacus-spartacus-Mira-spartacus-spartacus-vengeance-29345950-791-791.jpg

And this:

2013-Spartacus-Wallpaper-.jpg

And most importantly, this:

Agron.png
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    The problem is not simply sexual objectification because fantasy and sex and lovemaking and naked bodies are not inherently bad. The problem is who's story is told at what frequency. That's why I posted an alternative to Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" because it involves the women wearing the business suits and the men prancing around in their underwear. The first thing you bring to this thread is your own issue with being sexually objectified and yet I don't think you know quite what it is like to have your gender paraded around naked as a routine, acceptable occurrence. You judge the shit out of women for having this huge role of being sexually objectified in our society by making thread titles like "Women Hate Sluts" and then calling women who give themselves sexually in exchange for a living situation "bums" and "losers" without seeing that the way you relate to women being in this power imbalance is a huge part of the problem. You blow off the fact that your gender is the biggest perpetuator of this power imbalance by saying that you don't care what other guys do and that you apparently have no control over this when in fact you do - you're just falling on the "lets judge women for being in this situation" side instead of "lets get off at women being in this situation" side. You still have the attitude that it is okay to ascertain a woman's value like an object instead of a being that has evolved to be in this situation in society. You call someone a "bum" and "loser" without showing any consideration or thought for the various reasons she might be in that situation. You say the routine sexual objectification of women by males and their various fantasies concerning women is not your problem and you can't help it. But when Kim says she gets all steamed up by naked male gladiators, you are the first one in to be offended. That is what I find irritating. Kim isn't creepy for liking this - she just doesn't conform to your sexist, hypocritical code of conduct. This is someone else's fantasy and viewpoint of what is sexy and it involves naked male gladiators. So deal with it, because women have been dealing with other's fantasies of them for a long time and if you are not willing to give their point of view credence and consideration I fail to see what good it would do anyone to walk a mile in your judgmental ass.
    dolphin, i just read this, and i love you.