Thread: Description of ISTp and ENFp yoga teachers

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Description of ISTp and ENFp yoga teachers

I've had a variety of yoga teachers over the past couple years, and I've noticed that now that yoga is super common and the instructors are dime-a-dozen, they tend to develop the class according to their own "personalities" by way of adding a signature and keeping people coming back to their own particular class. Right now I have an ENFp and ENFx instructor, and I've noticed that, at least for me, I don't like their style as much as I liked an SLI instructor I used to have back in the day.

The SLI was an amazing teacher. She was totally no frills no fuss, she never came around and helped people individually, and after class she was rather stand offish. She did the whole routine with us, described every move technically perfectly (right foot x inches away from chin, feel the stretch in y, hold for z seconds); always had the right music on, warm up music, then up tempo music, then meditation music; never missed anything or felt the need to put on a show or anything like that. I started taking her class when I was going through some tough opiate withdrawals, having quit cold turkey right after college, and at the time I couldn't do anything for more than 10 mins without getting irritated and depressed. But I could sit through this SLI's class for a whole hour without ever having my mind wander, bc her routine was very well thought out and executed in a way that didn't leave any room for me to think of anything else.

The IEE is pretty adorable and bubbly, very personable and tries to make one-on-one contact with people outside of class. But she's also a scatterbrain and her instructions are almost impossible to follow if you are just listening. She messes up right and left, the number of counts we're supposed to hold, and if she gets the feeling that we're not totally in love with her she'll make us do something really hard for way too long, or she'll straight up say, no one's smiling at me! Are you all waiting for my class to end? Today, after she couldn't properly explain exactly at what degree to lift one leg, she even said I can't do that technical stuff, just do it like this *shows us* ...except, we can't all look up while we are doing downward dog on two hands..

I have to say it's pretty annoying.

The ENFx is a little better with descriptions, and has a lot of energy. But he kind of is big on putting on a show, like if he says right foot instead of left foot, he'll make us do the entire thing again, just so he can narrate with uninterrupted flourish. Like, saying "sorry I meant left foot" and then dropping it at that is not possible with both the IEE and this guy. This ENFx guy also likes to preach at the end, when we are doing resting pose.. he'll tell us some thought he had and connect it to "yoga" (as a theme for life). The SLI was always dead silent during the resting pose, with vibrating meditation music on. Oh and the ENFx plays terrible loud pop music, like he has to show his personality off through every outlet available.. except this isn't about him at all.

All in all I like the ENFx class more bc it feels like a more wholesome workout, but I can't help but think that I really really miss the SLI's class. Yoga really is about , if we have to attach a function for it, and while I think a lot of IEEs would benefit greatly from doing yoga, just like IEIs I'm not sure if either one of us should be teaching it. I have memorized everything the SLI taught and do it on my own, but I doubt I could describe everything as fluidly as she could to a whole class.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. It's nice to be SLI. I find that when I'm teaching I do tend to get wrapped up in the details to a fault. It's important to have that human connection between strudent and teacher. No one does that as well as the ENFp.
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're very scatter brained. There are times when I wish I had the patience for the SLI's perfectionism. Other days it seems more like a burden than anything else.

I think IEEs make great one on one teachers, counselors, and mentors. I'm most comfortable when listening, making connections, identifying patterns, and asking questions. I find it troubling trying to focus when I'm in the spotlight in front of too many people. Also, as we become more confident and more skilled at our task, we're able to focus and channel that excess anxiety/energy a bit better. Hopefully this is the case with your instructor.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    Wow. It's nice to be SLI. I find that when I'm teaching I do tend to get wrapped up in the details to a fault. It's important to have that human connection between strudent and teacher. No one does that as well as the ENFp.
    I'm definitely not trying to say that SLIs are better teachers than IEE in general.. just my personal preference for an activity that focuses on Si. I'm sure there are other people in the class who like the IEE just because they can talk to her, because she asks for their feedback, and because they can tell her to modify a pose right in the middle of a class and she will do it. I find it frustrating because that's not why I'm going to the yoga class. I guess I'm just being nitpicky and allowing socionics to infiltrate my life, but a NeFi trying to teach a NiFe about Si seems like a bit of a circus doesn't it.

I do love hanging out with IEEs otherwise though

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL your description of the ENFp and ENFx classes were hilarious!

Yeah i have to admit i can be quite scattered. Today was horrible...

I've had a teacher who i think is SLI in a beginner's ballet class... She does come around and fix people's positions though... not too much, but she does, and its usually very very helpful. I love the way she explains things, it just makes so much sense...
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sssonyyy View Post
    I'm definitely not trying to say that SLIs are better teachers than IEE in general.. just my personal preference for an activity that focuses on Si. I'm sure there are other people in the class who like the IEE just because they can talk to her, because she asks for their feedback, and because they can tell her to modify a pose right in the middle of a class and she will do it. I find it frustrating because that's not why I'm going to the yoga class. I guess I'm just being nitpicky and allowing socionics to infiltrate my life, but a NeFi trying to teach a NiFe about Si seems like a bit of a circus doesn't it.

I do love hanging out with IEEs otherwise though
    Oh yeah i mean i'm sure i would be frustrated by the IEE yoga teacher too!

the nice thing about the teacher messing up right and left is that i pay little heed to which side the teachers tell me to do anyway because i mix up my sides and i just keep rolling with whatever side i picked...so maybe it wouldn't bother me as much if i were in that class.

But i agree that an Si-dom teacher in a yoga class is awesome....I used to go to an SEI yoga class.. I LOOOOVED his class, it felt so relaxing...Unfortunately i've moved to a different city and i haven't been able to find anyone that good here...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    I used to go to an SEI yoga class.. I LOOOOVED his class, it felt so relaxing...Unfortunately i've moved to a different city and i haven't been able to find anyone that good here...
    arghh I totally know what you mean.. and once you've had a Si-ego as a teacher your standards just shoot up too and you're not as easily impressed with others.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never met an "SLI perfectionist." We're just minimalists. We reduce everything to the most basic elements, sometimes disregarding things that are important to others. It's why we are viewed as insensitive, aloof, and callous, all because we are seeking efficiency. Perfection is inefficient and wastes energy.
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    IEI!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a variety of yoga teachers over the past couple years, and I've noticed that now that yoga is super common and the instructors are dime-a-dozen, they tend to develop the class according to their own "personalities" by way of adding a signature and keeping people coming back to their own particular class. Right now I have an ENFp and ENFx instructor, and I've noticed that, at least for me, I don't like their style as much as I liked an SLI instructor I used to have back in the day.

The SLI was an amazing teacher. She was totally no frills no fuss, she never came around and helped people individually, and after class she was rather stand offish. She did the whole routine with us, described every move technically perfectly (right foot x inches away from chin, feel the stretch in y, hold for z seconds); always had the right music on, warm up music, then up tempo music, then meditation music; never missed anything or felt the need to put on a show or anything like that. I started taking her class when I was going through some tough opiate withdrawals, having quit cold turkey right after college, and at the time I couldn't do anything for more than 10 mins without getting irritated and depressed. But I could sit through this SLI's class for a whole hour without ever having my mind wander, bc her routine was very well thought out and executed in a way that didn't leave any room for me to think of anything else.

The IEE is pretty adorable and bubbly, very personable and tries to make one-on-one contact with people outside of class. But she's also a scatterbrain and her instructions are almost impossible to follow if you are just listening. She messes up right and left, the number of counts we're supposed to hold, and if she gets the feeling that we're not totally in love with her she'll make us do something really hard for way too long, or she'll straight up say, no one's smiling at me! Are you all waiting for my class to end? Today, after she couldn't properly explain exactly at what degree to lift one leg, she even said I can't do that technical stuff, just do it like this *shows us* ...except, we can't all look up while we are doing downward dog on two hands..

I have to say it's pretty annoying.

The ENFx is a little better with descriptions, and has a lot of energy. But he kind of is big on putting on a show, like if he says right foot instead of left foot, he'll make us do the entire thing again, just so he can narrate with uninterrupted flourish. Like, saying "sorry I meant left foot" and then dropping it at that is not possible with both the IEE and this guy. This ENFx guy also likes to preach at the end, when we are doing resting pose.. he'll tell us some thought he had and connect it to "yoga" (as a theme for life). The SLI was always dead silent during the resting pose, with vibrating meditation music on. Oh and the ENFx plays terrible loud pop music, like he has to show his personality off through every outlet available.. except this isn't about him at all.

All in all I like the ENFx class more bc it feels like a more wholesome workout, but I can't help but think that I really really miss the SLI's class. Yoga really is about , if we have to attach a function for it, and while I think a lot of IEEs would benefit greatly from doing yoga, just like IEIs I'm not sure if either one of us should be teaching it. I have memorized everything the SLI taught and do it on my own, but I doubt I could describe everything as fluidly as she could to a whole class.
    Great post and contrasts.

Have you done yoga at home? I do it outside of class; a lot of original yogi's say that yoga should be a private practice. It fills me up with a deep sense of peace, wisdom, and happiness; I'll come out of poses; and thoughts will come to me and suddenly I see clearly! Personally I'd say that is Ni, but my SLE bf gets the same thing; so I rather, in true Buddhism form kind of see yoga as breaking the boundaries of functions/types etc. It has this expansive quality, like meditation does. But I definitely get where you're coming from like the practical form/surrounding culture is quite Si; that class sounds pretty good. That EPs class sounds like hell lol !

It almost sounds like they are teaching yoga as some kind of expression of their personality rather than as a serious spiritual and physical practice. lol kind of funny (then again I think I take yoga a bit *too* seriously lol; it's like my prozac)
    IEI, sp/sx 4w3.

TIM
    IEI!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

arghh I totally know what you mean.. and once you've had a Si-ego as a teacher your standards just shoot up too and you're not as easily impressed with others.
    Have you been through a lot of teachers and had lot of experience with classes? I'm super apprehensive about going to class; I've had a couple of friends who went and didn't get any of the psychological effects or high I get doing it at home. What's your experience ? What type has been your favourite teacher? On a random side note...I am thinking of going to a kickboxing class; I imagine the instructors are gonna be totally se <3!
    IEI, sp/sx 4w3.

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dinki View Post
    Have you been through a lot of teachers and had lot of experience with classes? I'm super apprehensive about going to class; I've had a couple of friends who went and didn't get any of the psychological effects or high I get doing it at home. What's your experience ? What type has been your favourite teacher? On a random side note...I am thinking of going to a kickboxing class; I imagine the instructors are gonna be totally se <3!
    I much prefer going to a class over doing yoga at home. At home I can't fix my positions, or see what I'm doing wrong, etc. It makes a world of difference. And as for the spiritual/psychological aspects it all depends of the teacher and type of yoga you're doing. I've taken classes that were primarily a workout, classes that were primarily a de-stressing kind of thing (aromatherapy type of thing were the instructor would turn the lights down low and while you were holding poses she would come around and rub essential oils on different parts of your body), and classes that were more spirituality focused. Those were my favorite. My instructor was amazing and we would do hour long meditations after our class. Sometimes it would end In crying. That doesn't sound awesome, but it was. You would leave class feeling incredible.

I've also been to a couple of classes that did absolutely nothing for me. I didn't know if I was posing and breathing right, it wasn't relaxing, and I got nothing out of it spirituality.

Overall I've had much better experiences in class than I have doing it at home. You just have to find a class and instructor that is suiting your needs. I like mixing classes up.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    I've never met an "SLI perfectionist." We're just minimalists. We reduce everything to the most basic elements, sometimes disregarding things that are important to others. It's why we are viewed as insensitive, aloof, and callous, all because we are seeking efficiency. Perfection is inefficient and wastes energy.
    So, i think my new mentor at work is SLI, and well this is what is hanging front and center in the lab:

"Better DONE than PERFECT!"

Lol, that is something i really struggle with and really need to be reminded of... though i can imagine that for perhaps someone else that might be a bad thing to hear, because it's not always good to just do something half-assed just to be done with it.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by felafel View Post
    worst person to go to any yoga class is Si. i went at different times with both isfp and estj and neither could stand this "stretching this way" now that way, and so on. i see nothing Si about yoga...
    Interestingly, this was the same perspective Golden (beta NF) related to me a while ago. She views yoga as an outlet of Ni, namely as a way to enter an alternate consciousness, not as a modality of stretching or exercise.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't actually know that it is Ni, nor did i ever consider yoga's 'type'. I've noticed Si people can't stand yoga classes - of the ones I know at least. I don't see anything staring out as "siiiii" in it either - i just don't know what it is (mostly addressing OP who said yoga = si exercise)
    well i think it really depends on what one is seeking from the yoga experience. I personally find yoga to be useful in all sorts of muscles that one forgets about, in a safe way. in the process i also find it very relaxing, especially when someone is speaking in a soothing voice and the lights are dim. I'd call that Si in several ways.

others may see yoga as a medium of meditation, and a modality of entering an alternate consciousness. I would call that Ni.

I'm not sure yoga has a whole lot of Ne to it though, which might explain why in your experience Si-egos dont tend to engage in it (though this has not rung true in my experience -- and it's probably because the Si-egos do it as part of the normal upkeep of Si in their daily life).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

worst person to go to any yoga class is Si. i went at different times with both isfp and estj and neither could stand this "stretching this way" now that way, and so on. i see nothing Si about yoga...
    I think Si is one of those functions that yields fantastically different variations within a type.. I mean, probably every function is like that but I feel like I know beta well enough, and Si I still kind of have to figure out...

However I can say this much.. I know an SLI male who is a mountain guide by profession, during the off season he is scaling one peak after another. He's probably one of the best people to learn climbing from, in terms of how to move and use your body for doing this. I know another SLI male, one of my best friends, who is super body conscious and has trouble keeping his weight down. He doesn't work out at all, he just tries to starve himself now and then and does a lot of drugs. One time I was talking glibly about how the best bowel situation for me is when I go at least 2 times a day. He was extremely disgusted that I would talk about such a thing, and then offered that his own best situation is when he doesn't have to go at all. I mean, wtf?? I would associate Si with like, regular and robust body functions, but this Si-ego obviously doesn't.

I also know SEI girls who are fabulously glamorous, and SEI girls who do not take care of themselves AT ALL.

So, to somehow get back to my point, I don't necessarily mean that yoga = Si. But a Si-ego who is "well-educated" in yoga in terms of knowing what the body should be doing and what sensations you should be getting from your body, is, IMO, the best kind of teacher for someone like me. I mean, I don't need help with the aspects of yoga related to opening myself to possibilities (Ne), or being empathetic (Fi?), or introspective meditation (Ni). I do need help with paying attention to what is going on in my body physically.

I hope this makes sense..

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Si is one of those functions that yields fantastically different variations within a type.. I mean, probably every function is like that but I feel like I know beta well enough, and Si I still kind of have to figure out...

However I can say this much.. I know an SLI male who is a mountain guide by profession, during the off season he is scaling one peak after another. He's probably one of the best people to learn climbing from, in terms of how to move and use your body for doing this. I know another SLI male, one of my best friends, who is super body conscious and has trouble keeping his weight down. He doesn't work out at all, he just tries to starve himself now and then and does a lot of drugs. One time I was talking glibly about how the best bowel situation for me is when I go at least 2 times a day. He was extremely disgusted that I would talk about such a thing, and then offered that his own best situation is when he doesn't have to go at all. I mean, wtf?? I would associate Si with like, regular and robust body functions, but this Si-ego obviously doesn't.

I also know SEI girls who are fabulously glamorous, and SEI girls who do not take care of themselves AT ALL.

So, to somehow get back to my point, I don't necessarily mean that yoga = Si. But a Si-ego who is "well-educated" in yoga in terms of knowing what the body should be doing and what sensations you should be getting from your body, is, IMO, the best kind of teacher for someone like me. I mean, I don't need help with the aspects of yoga related to opening myself to possibilities (Ne), or being empathetic (Fi?), or introspective meditation (Ni). I do need help with paying attention to what is going on in my body physically.

I hope this makes sense..
    Excellently put.

(side note... are you sure you're IEI? you seem to value Si and Te a whole lot!)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(side note... are you sure you're IEI? you seem to value Si and Te a whole lot!)
    lol, IEE was the second possible alternative for me after EIE, according to some test. I do value a lot for some reason, but I value a lot more than .

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@sssonyyy, I loved this description of your yoga teachers! Well done!

And it reminded me so much of a husband-wife dance teachers I had in college. They taught different classes, and I took classes with both of them. She was the more advanced, experienced dancer, and her teaching was brilliant and polished - so I think her experience made her less like the IEE yoga teacher you mentioned here. Who made me laugh, saying "watch this" during downwards facing dog.... LOL. I could picture me doing that, being all focused on what I was inspired to explain, not noticing my listeners can't look because of what I told them to do...

. But now I am wondering if this dance teacher couple, happily and comfortably working together daily as colleagues in the same small college dance department, were also Duals - maybe even IEE/SLI, after reading your descriptions, I think maybe. I would also say that like your yoga teacher, he described positions perfectly; it was so clear to follow, but he was more stand-offish after class while she was all warm connecting personality, and told us personal stories throughout class, that I remember to this day.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, IEE was the second possible alternative for me after EIE, according to some test. I do value a lot for some reason, but I value a lot more than .
    keep your mind open.... you might be confusing Ti with Te...

It sounds to me like you favor Te tbh (from what you described was important to you in the yoga class).

Te and Ti do go hand in hand in a way; it depends on what part of it you value the most. the ST club are good at both, even though they only value one. Just like NFs are all good at Fe and Fi or Ne and Ni. That is why there can be a fairly robust attraction between conflictors at first. You are great at what your conflictor seeks (your demonstrative function), but you dont value that particular function. It's all good until your conflictor's dominant function starts hitting you in the POLR, and vice versa.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep your mind open.... you might be confusing Ti with Te...

It sounds to me like you favor Te tbh (from what you described was important to you in the yoga class).
    Yes, for a 1 hour yoga class with no personal contact Te is all fine and dandy...

Te and Ti do go hand in hand in a way; it depends on what part of it you value the most. the ST club are good at both, even though they only value one. Just like NFs are all good at Fe and Fi or Ne and Ni. That is why there can be a fairly robust attraction between conflictors at first. You are great at what your conflictor seeks (your demonstrative function), but you dont value that particular function. It's all good until your conflictor's dominant function starts hitting you in the POLR, and vice versa.
    I do appreciate Te when it's a professional relationship, I admire any ST temperament in this setting like you mentioned. I feel like after we battle out our disagreements I am slightly more productive and they are slightly more appreciative of me.

BUT it wouldn't explain why I'm still totally head over heels for my LSI bf..even after a long ass time. Nor would it explain why I can't talk to my Te-ego mom for more than 5 mins without getting into an argument lol.

When you're in doubt about such things it helps to see who you like to be around. My bf, for example, tests as both ISTj and ISTp. But I know he's ISTj bc though his oldest college friend is ENFp, he chose to live with an ENFj he met after college, and they were roommates for the next 4 years. Even though he had known the IEE for longer and all, he didn't want to live with him bc he would get annoyed with him after long doses and they had a lot of major differences in values that became apparent if they did anything other than drink and joke around. My bf and his male EIE best friend is probably one of the most beautiful, stable examples of duality I have ever seen.

When I entered the picture, it was very apparent that I was in the same quadra as the LSI-EIE duals. Of course my bf got the cake and was eating it too, having a dual AND activator, but any other combination of the 3 of us was very comfortable as well. We got into a lot of shenanigans together, talked about our similar, totally beta ideas for hours at a time, could pass the entire night just drinking and bullshitting and enjoying each other's company. When it was me, bf and IEE though, it was always a very short hangout. IEE had to leave and hang out with other people, go figure...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    @sssonyyy, I loved this description of your yoga teachers! Well done!

And it reminded me so much of a husband-wife dance teachers I had in college. They taught different classes, and I took classes with both of them. She was the more advanced, experienced dancer, and her teaching was brilliant and polished - so I think her experience made her less like the IEE yoga teacher you mentioned here. Who made me laugh, saying "watch this" during downwards facing dog.... LOL. I could picture me doing that, being all focused on what I was inspired to explain, not noticing my listeners can't look because of what I told them to do...

. But now I am wondering if this dance teacher couple, happily and comfortably working together daily as colleagues in the same small college dance department, were also Duals - maybe even IEE/SLI, after reading your descriptions, I think maybe. I would also say that like your yoga teacher, he described positions perfectly; it was so clear to follow, but he was more stand-offish after class while she was all warm connecting personality, and told us personal stories throughout class, that I remember to this day.
    Haha thanks! Both IEE and SLI who are passionate about what they do leave lasting impressions on people, I definitely agree with that.