TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default U.S. Wastes 34 Million On Base In Afghanistan It Will Never Use

http://thinkprogress.org/security/20...e-afghanistan/
    I saw a news story about this and it made me so frustrated. With all of the needy people in our country and abroad, this huge building built at taxpayer expense will likely be destroyed without having ever been used. The United States military spent millions of dollars on a shining new command center in the Helmand province of Afghanistan — a center that will never be used and is now likely to be completely demolished. The building was built for the American military, and is physically incompatible with the Afghan power grid without a costly overhaul. In addition, the cost of maintaining such a facility would also likely be far more than the Afghan government would be willing to commit. The result: the building in all its shining grandeur will likely be demolished having never been put to its intended use.
    I feel like the layers of bureaucracy in our government make this possible. There is no accountability. Our tax dollars are just funny money to people in congress and their minions.

You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

34 million is pocket money. If you think that's bad, you haven't been hearing about how much money gets funnelled into the four-star generals (of which I think there are just a bit over 1000 now). Basically there's a hidden class of military elite in America, and this story is a chunk off an iceberg.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Government spending is always wasteful.

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait for our military to lose funding.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like corruption to me. Somebodies probably pocketed all that money.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Military spending like this generally goes thru the pentagon, I don't see this as a Congress thing. I seriously doubt this was on the floor of a congressional hearing or something like that.

There was probably graft involved here with some Pentagon official getting paid by the British contractors.

The facility was mostly built so I doubt someone pocketed all the money, but the project was probably kept alive via graft. The decision was made to axe the project but somehow it was kept alive and funded.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    The facility was mostly built so I doubt someone pocketed all the money, but the project was probably kept alive via graft. The decision was made to axe the project but somehow it was kept alive and funded.
    A favored contractor could have gotten the contract, that's a safe way to do these things. "Graft" also falls neatly under the definition of corruption.

(I don't have absolute proof of corruption, but corruption is something we probably should expect)

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

work under the table.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"...nobody actually stationed in Helmand wanted the center to be constructed in the first place. Three yeas ago, according to the Post, the top Marine commander there told U.S. headquarters in Kabul that the new base was “unnecessary” and too opulent in its design, saying his plywood-walled headquarters at Camp Leatherneck were more that sufficient to support the incoming surge of Marines. “What the hell were they thinking?” an Army general is quoted as asking. “There was never any justification to build something this fancy.”
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

IRS (idiotic revenue service)

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned