Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Boobs are going to save the world

I'm bringing sexy back with

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_goddess

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...stration-2.jpg

You started out as a single cell. It divided, and so did its daughters and granddaughters, eventually producing trillions of cells with specific identities—red blood cells, neurons, heart muscle cells that beat, beat, beat. For as long as biologists have studied this maturation process, they’ve believed that cells in adult tissue can’t readily take on a whole new identity. But researchers are challenging this idea with the startling discovery of adult cells that retain their flexibility—a possible boon for treating devastating diseases.

The new work is the latest in a series of breakthroughs involving what are called pluripotent (for “many potentials”) stem cells, which give rise to any specialized cell type. In 1998, researchers first isolated human embryonic stem cells, but research on them has been hampered because it requires harvesting cells from discarded human embryos. In 2006, Shinya Yamanaka, of Kyoto University, avoided that ethical controversy when he discovered that adult skin cells can be removed from the body and genetically reprogrammed to revert to a pluripotent state. The work won him last year’s Nobel Prize.

What’s surprising about the new stem cell breakthrough is that researchers don’t have to turn back the cellular clock. Molecular pathologist Thea Tlsty and colleagues at the University of California, San Francisco, had been studying wound-healing cells in the breast, known to divide furiously in response to injury, when they hit upon a small subset carrying surface molecules similar to those on pluripotent stem cells. About 1 in every 10,000 breast cells appears to belong to a class of stem cells never seen before, now dubbed “endogenous pluripotent somatic” cells.

After putting these cells onto a plastic plate and letting them stew in nutrients and growth factors known to nurture the development of heart muscle cells, Tlsty’s junior colleague Somdutta Roy created heart cells that actually beat in the lab dish. “When she first saw the beating cardiomyocytes, she did a little dance,” Tlsty says. “Then she called everybody in the lab over to look at them.” With other nutrient blends, the team brought neurons, bone, fat and blood vessels to life.

If other researchers can replicate the findings, such cells might be used in stem cell therapy, says Deepak Srivastava, of the Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease in San Francisco. Sick or damaged cells—whether pancreatic cells that perish in diabetes or brain neurons ravaged by Parkinson’s disease—might someday be replaced by healthy counterparts generated from a patient’s own stem cells. These replacements might even grow new organs. “What we used to think about the cell, that it’s fixed in its fate, is just not true,” Srivastava says.

But Paul Knoepfler, a stem cell biologist at the University of California, Davis, says he is somewhat skeptical of the new finding on evolutionary grounds. “Why would nature give an adult tissue these kinds of cells?” he asks.

Further testing will reveal whether nature did or didn’t bestow us with this bounty. But given our humble beginnings, perhaps a single cell’s ability to take on a brand-new identity shouldn’t be terribly surprising.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...#ixzz2Zi1u7eML
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty fascinating. All this line of research needs is government support, which unfortunately does not happen to much yet in the United States. Stem cells will improve medicine a hundred times over. People still seem hung upon what is the moral thing to do with the small piece of throw away flesh (placenta and umbilical cord) that are ripe with stem cells. Obviously cells should be harvested from it, its going in the garbage anyway, why not make use of it, like growing a new heart?!

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NobleFool View Post
    This thread is sexist.

Why can't balls save the world?
    god you are loathsome.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maritsa your mama get krazy!

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you kidding me?

Without support of the government, and by virtue the support of the people it governs, no controversial research goes forward. This comes down to legalities. It is illegal (from my understanding - and I could be wrong) to harvest viable stem cells from umbilical cords in many of the states in the United States, not including liberal states such as California. Umbilical cords are the only realistically suitable place stem cells in large quantities can be found. Very literally the current governments are stifling research. It is governments that influence and create new laws and regulations and more importantly the flow of funding towards certain research projects. Funding is what all research requires and if it is not available that research is essentially dead. It is for this reason that American researchers can not research as thoroughly and extensively the inner mechanics and uses of embryonic stem cells as I am sure they would like to. Other countries, such as the United Kingdom, Canada and South Korea all have lose laws surrounding stem cell research and their governments actively support research by providing funding - unlike America which has strict laws and provides limited funding.
    Last edited by wacey; 07-30-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ashton is against governments funding stem cell research out of fear that U.S. may turn into Nazi Germany, so he would rather do it all by himself on non-consenting prisoners, Wacey.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lul at economy and governments involvement in not yet proven technology.

The Unabomber’s efforts, which killed three people and injured 23 others, prompted Kaczinski to send a letter to the New York Times on April 24, 1995. The letter was in a sense a negotiation, for the Unabomber promised to “desist from terrorism” if the Times or the Washington Post published his anti-government manifesto.
    Get them all NTs.
    Last edited by Absurd; 07-30-2013 at 07:48 PM.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's still too costly to invest in such research, Wacey. The cost of production of stem cells is too high I mean, not to mention it surviving on market. Laboratory tests are too lengthy and there hasn't been any (so far, I think) time reduction concerning those.

And I'm not really sure whether there has been any progress, but the effects stem cells had on few(?) patients didn't really duplicate in other countries.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Respectfully, the study of cellular biology requires sophisticated and state of the art equipment, as well as highly educated scientists and researchers. "Turning" a stem cell into another type of cell, for example a heart cell, is NOT EASY and to even get the process to the point where a laboratory could do so would take plenty of MONEY. Where does that money come from?

I have had this discussion with my sister in law, who unlike you guys, has a Masters in microbiology, and she says America is a shit place to go if you want to study how a stem cell works. As she has chosen to research cellular biology as her lifes career and work, I am going to take her word over yours (not mentioning the articles I have read regarding the difficulties of stem cell research in America). All the inventive spirit in the world isn't going to get you anywhere when it comes to studying the intricate processes of the stem cell, it takes itteligent minds and a whole shit load of cash.