Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with society today?

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What's wrong with society today?

Does anyone else ever get a feeling that something is seriously wrong with society these days? It seems like most people have lost compassion towards one another and have become selfish and self indulgent. I'm not pointing out fingers to anyone in particular it's just a general feeling.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

How do you know this isn't how it's always been? Be careful not to confuse trends in society with the evolution of your own perception and attitudes as you age and experience more of life. There has always been conflict in the human world, even before recorded history. There's always some part of the world in turmoil, some subset of the population of even the most developed civilizations struggling in the face of hardship, and the general disposition of society reflects that. I don't believe the world is going to hell in a hand basket, this is just how it's always been and how it will probably continue long after we are dead and buried.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had a couple of threads like this, I think. First one called : what's wrong with the world, and second: what's wrong with solar system.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    How do you know this isn't how it's always been? Be careful not to confuse trends in society with the evolution of your own perception and attitudes as you age and experience more of life. There has always been conflict in the human world, even before recorded history. There's always some part of the world in turmoil, some subset of the population of even the most developed civilizations struggling in the face of hardship, and the general disposition of society reflects that. I don't believe the world is going to hell in a hand basket, this is just how it's always been and how it will probably continue long after we are dead and buried.
    It doesn't seem like it has always been this way. I think capitalism and materialsm are much more pronounced these days. You don't see people protesting in america these days or rebelling or wanting to become self aware. How many millions of people are jacked up anti depressants? Or some kind of psychotrpic drug compared to before?. I think it has something to do with our increasing dependance of technology thus it forces us to abide by the system. We are becoming a slave to it, think about all the ever increasing monthly fees towards we pay today compared to 20 years ago?
    Last edited by Amoeba; 07-18-2013 at 02:52 PM.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, What is wrong with society these days?
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadians.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think about all the people dying of Polio 80 years ago. Or the prevalent child abuse that was the norm until about the 1980's. Or the fact that Racist was the common view 50 years ago.

Society has improved, and we are better capable of dealing with our issues. It's just that we are more aware of our issues. Similar to how we age as people; when we are young we are less aware of ourselves, we have huge improvements we need to make to function fairly in society, and the issues are easier to change as we are less ingrained in the habit. When we are old, our self-awareness spurs our growth that allows us to be a productive member of society, but we have habits and crutches that we can't change because of how dependant we've been on them to get as far as we did. We are the world.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Canadians.
    Americans can learn a thing or two about Canadians.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
    Americans can learn a thing or two about Canadians.
    I wouldn't know about that because I'm not American or Canadian.

what r u then =o

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the16types View Post
    what r u then =o
    Wut u think?

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with @Pookie that many things have improved in society, especially thanks to advances in science. But I also think that advancement can also lead to new problems. Like yay video games, but now everyone can develop their expert assassin skills and mentality. Agree with @ Capitalist Pig I think human nature in society hasn't changed. But the mass media has affected awareness of problems, and also brought finger pointing to a whole new level. Maybe some issues have been brought to light to be better dealt with, like child abuse. But I also think there are people that will not be affected by the consequences of possibly appearing in the news all over the internet and are going to do whatever crime they want to do no matter what.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

There will always be scum and dirt of the earth. There will always be more filth for without it, the diamonds could never shine as beautiful as they are.

So what is cursing the darkness going to get you? What is saying 'You're being so mean!' to people going to get you? Are you going to get through to them? Maybe not. A lot of the times they will just smirk 'I know I'm being an ass here, deal with it!' and shake their booty in your face, further trying to enrage you.

Be a hero for somebody in real life. Listen to the outcasted gay emo teen and help improve his self-esteem. Feed the homeless yourself, give to charity, see a situation in the real world where people are being taking advantage of and try to help them. The problem is a lot of people who are being hurt love continue to being hurt because they feel it makes them more human and humble. After all plenty of people feel sorry for them in their situation, so other people might not necessarily thank you for trying to help them but continue to help anyway. You are the candle.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't know about that because I'm not American or Canadian.
    You should still know it....hah

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NobleFool View Post
    Socionics.

Sorry! Eh?
    So you don't agree with socionics but you're part of the forums?

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else ever get a feeling that something is seriously wrong with society these days? It seems like most people have lost compassion towards one another and have become selfish and self indulgent. I'm not pointing out fingers to anyone in particular it's just a general feeling.
    Civilization expands, the system becomes a strain and people lose their ability to function, and the system collapses. Now we're at a noticable tipping point... our economy will collapse in a couple years. But this is just one economic cycle out of many cycles. Since civilization began we have been headed for self annihilation... Just look at the mass extinctions across the planet for proof of that. If you thought everything was fine before you must have been blind.

The problem with civilization is we are removed from the self sustaining harmony of living in relation to nature, and are no longer subject to natural selection. The waste begins piling up and the environment becomes toxic.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    Agree with @Pookie that many things have improved in society, especially thanks to advances in science. But I also think that advancement can also lead to new problems. Like yay video games, but now everyone can develop their expert assassin skills and mentality. Agree with @ Capitalist Pig I think human nature in society hasn't changed. But the mass media has affected awareness of problems, and also brought finger pointing to a whole new level. Maybe some issues have been brought to light to be better dealt with, like child abuse. But I also think there are people that will not be affected by the consequences of possibly appearing in the news all over the internet and are going to do whatever crime they want to do no matter what.
    But this is exactly what I'm trying to get at, technology advances but socially people are still very primitive and we haven't made advances in that at all.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by returnofxenu View Post
    Civilization expands, the system becomes a strain and people lose their ability to function, and the system collapses. Now we're at a noticable tipping point... our economy will collapse in a couple years. But this is just one economic cycle out of many cycles. Since civilization began we have been headed for self annihilation... Just look at the mass extinctions across the planet for proof of that. If you thought everything was fine before you must have been blind.
    I seriously doubt our economy is going to collapse in a couple years.

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then you are seriously clueless about economies.
    2016 - 2020

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should still know it....hah
    I don't really consider a mere 6% of the human population so significant.

Aren't you breaking your own reason d'etre by being self gratifying and insular here? What's the message?

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really consider a mere 6% of the human population so significant.

Aren't you breaking your own reason d'etre by being self gratifying and insular here? What's the message?
    Because Canada has one of the largest trade agreements(natural resources) with the united states making 6% of the human population an important part of the 320 million that live there. It's good to know.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because Canada has one of the largest trade agreements(natural resources) with the united states making 6% of the human population an important part of the 320 million that live there. It's good to know.
    Okay, so to correct the op.

Quote Originally Posted by Revision
    Does anyone else ever get a feeling that something is seriously wrong with American and Canadian society these days? It seems like most people have lost compassion towards one another and have become selfish and self indulgent. I'm not pointing out fingers to anyone in particular it's just a general feeling.
    Yes there is, well spotted!

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by returnofxenu View Post
    Then you are seriously clueless about economies.
    2016 - 2020
    No just not a fan of completely radical statements.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, so to correct the op.

Yes there is, well spotted!
    I assumed most people lived in the west over here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No just not a fan of completely radical statements.
    I'm sure the news would call it radical.
    Last edited by rat1; 07-18-2013 at 08:17 PM.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assumed most people lived in the west over here.
    I live in the West well, at least West enough.

My viewpoint on the Canadian and American AND European societal and economic degradation is that with 100-150 years worth of glorious surplus and expansion many social and legal systems were invented and enforced which were inefficient and often contrary to individuals viewpoints of what is right or wrong. This has lead to many perverse incentives and bloated service economies coupled with social degredation.

You will either fall into one of two camps. You will either want to support the failing social system because you like the idea of communality (which is noble enough) or you'll want it torn down and reformed into something fit for purpose (which is also noble, believe it or not). If you are communual you will view everything as becoming more insular and angry, if you are in the other camp you'll be exascerbated as the system inertia weighs you down.

In short 'the wheels have fallen off the cart'; because there is no such thing as society, merely individual actors with their own ethics. I think you are broadly in Camp A. Welcome to your Randian Objectivist nightmare.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are communual you will view everything as becoming more insular and angry, if you are in the other camp you'll be exascerbated as the system inertia weighs you down.

In short 'the wheels have fallen off the cart'; because there is no such thing as society, merely individual actors with their own ethics. I think you are broadly in Camp A. Welcome to your Randian Objectivist nightmare.
    How is it even possible to be in camp B. The system is controlled by the people with all the money, you would have to be some kind of sociopath or criminal which is the minority. I find that I reject the system for the most part but it's impossible to reject it all the time you will always have to conform to it in order to survive. The anger and frustration comes from the system constantly shoving things down my throat that are either useless or untrue. It pushes you towards someone you don't want to be it makes you pay for things you don't want to pay. The ever lasting "rejecting" is frustrating and deteriorating.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is it even possible to be in the other camp? The system is controlled by the people with all the money, you would have to be some kind of sociopath which is the minority.
    Only last week my single mother cousin said quite openly 'I can't believe those unemployed fuckers live across the road in a council house, whilst I have to live with my parents yet work 40 hours a week'.

Anecdotally untrue.

Perhaps you're a sociopath just waiting to happen.

I think you just don't understand the Pareto principle.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only last week my single mother cousin said quite openly 'I can't believe those unemployed fuckers live across the road in a council house, whilst I have to live with my parents yet work 40 hours a week'.

Anecdotally untrue.

Perhaps you're a sociopath just waiting to happen.

I think you just don't understand the Pareto principle.
    The problem is the people at the bottom don't view themselves at a worthy member of society or a respected individual they degrade themselves to the societal norms of the upper class. Lower class individuals spend the little that they make on higher class goods. Why would a lower class citizen buy a BMW when a honda does the job just as good for cheaper cost?

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is the people at the bottom don't view themselves at a worthy member of society or a respected individual they degrade themselves to the societal norms of the upper class. Lower class individuals spend the little that they make on higher class goods. Why would a lower class citizen buy a BMW when a honda does the job just as good for cheaper cost?
    That sounds like 'keeping up with the joneses'. I don't have much truck with such poor decision making and social compliance.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

It doesn't seem like it has always been this way. I think capitalism and materialsm are much more pronounced these days.
    Sort of. State control and regulation (socialism) has expanded alongside capitalism and has overshadowed it in most respects.

You don't see people protesting in america these days or rebelling or wanting to become self aware.
    Where have you been for the past 10 years? There's been all kinds of rallies and protests -- for and against -- the War on Terror, gay marriage, marijuana rights, Occupy Wall Street, and so on. I saw a headline today that 17 people were arrested in California protesting the outcome of the Zimmerman trial in Florida.

How many millions of people are jacked up anti depressants? Or some kind of psychotrpic drug compared to before?.
    I don't know how this is relevant, but have you considered how "jacked up" most of these people were before they started taking medication? Physicians and therapists don't hand out drugs to purposely turn people into animate vegetables.

I think it has something to do with our increasing dependance of technology thus it forces us to abide by the system. We are becoming a slave to it, think about all the ever increasing monthly fees towards we pay today compared to 20 years ago?
    You might have a point somewhere, but whatever it is I can't make heads or tails of it. All I've seen are incoherent ramblings stitched together by vague and inaccurate suppositions.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our mainstream humor is more cynical and 'biting' than the humor in the developing world, or so I've noticed.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Our mainstream humor is more cynical and 'biting' than the humor in the developing world, or so I've noticed.
    at least here you don't get executed for having a sense of humor...

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

hey, ya never know...maybe in another 2,000 years one of those "developing countries" will actually develop.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, your avatar is a meklar. Very good.

moo3 is worst moo. D:

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    at least here you don't get executed for having a sense of humor...
    I'm pretty sure you won't get executed in most places for having a sense of humor.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

moo3 is worst moo. D:
    lol yeah, MOO 3 sucked big time.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how this is relevant, but have you considered how "jacked up" most of these people were before they started taking medication? Physicians and therapists don't hand out drugs to purposely turn people into animate vegetables.
    This is a really ignorant thing to say, you do know that antidepressants are one of if not the most prescribed drug in the united states. Do you not see something seriously wrong with that statistic? Do you really think these people had serious mental issues that couldn't be figured out without taking these medications?. Drug companies push doctors to prescribe meds so they make a profit. Just a heads up drugs companies don't care about you, they have share holders that invest in their company that just want to see a profit. Drugs companies have a market for selling medication to kids now it's called "ADD". It's not natural for a child to be hyperactive they are sick right? Depression occurs in many of people whether it is the change of season or the loss of a loved one people need time to recover. In a competitive system there is no time to be human, time lost is profit lost and if you can't keep up you're worthless. It's a broken system socially.

You might have a point somewhere, but whatever it is I can't make heads or tails of it. All I've seen are incoherent ramblings stitched together by vague and inaccurate suppositions.
    Sorry man can't help you if you're that slow.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol yeah, MOO 3 sucked big time.
    moo2 is still hugely playable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast