Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Member Questionnaire (Director Abbie)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Member Questionnaire (Director Abbie)

Member Questionnaire 1 (Director Abbie)
    What is beauty? What is love?
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The original beholder was God, who has dibs on deciding what is beautiful or not, and since God likes to make beauty, God-made things, like trees and spiders, can be considered beautiful. But as far as human beauty is concerned, people find others who look similar to themselves attractive and people in general find an average appearance (whether of a region or the world) to be more beautiful than any outlier.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
    What are your most important values?
    God, truth, honesty, more synonyms...and I know the greatest of these is love; I seem to have a problem with my priorities.
    Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?
    I believe in God the Father Almighty, the maker of Heaven and Earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only begotten son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; the third day He arose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty.

I'm a Protestant Christian and believe in the Bible and the aforementioned God. I was raised in a Christian home and understand how logical God is.
    Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?
    "Power is power." -Xykon, Order of the Stick

In the Old Testament, God told Israel's leaders to kill people. When they didn't, God got mad. In the New Testament, Jesus promoted Mercy. In the American Revolution, World War I, and World War II, God was with us. Murder is wrong, but killing to protect your loved ones when other options aren't working is not. And if God tells you to kill, you'd better kill! Because God has more power than anyone, and don't want God mad at you.
    What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?
    I have had long conversations about many illogical things, but the topic usually changes over time. My interests have mostly either been covered elsewhere in this questionnaire or aren't reasonable conversation topics.
    Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?
    That is indeed a conversation topic. I'm not focused on my body, though.
    What do you think of daily chores?
    I brush my teeth twice a day and floss once a day. Before bed I change into my pajama(s) and every morning I change into my clothes. I think if I didn't do these things I would be a pathetic mess, or at least have a dirty mouth.
    Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise. Examples welcome.
    I'm a fan of Lord of the Rings. C.S. Lewis's fiction is also good. Sigmund Brouwer's Winds of Light series is a favorite. A year or so ago I read the Hunger Games trilogy, which was good. The books I'm currently turning into audiobooks (Mistress of the Waves by George Phillies and My Eyes Have Seen the Glory of God by Sofia Kasimu) are good.

I watched Dr. Who for the first time earlier this week. A few episodes in (I got the first season) I decided The Doctor was a very interesting character and it was a decent show, though not suitable for anyone under 18. After the last episode, I decided it was a great show, The Doctor is a fantastic character, and it's still not suitable for anyone under 18.
    What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?
    Frustration has made me cry. Absurd mental images have made me smile. Because funniness makes people laugh and frustration is the stuff of nightmares.
    Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?
    With my family. Because we're going to be related forever (or at least until we die), and there's nothing they can do about it (see previous exception).
    What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?
    People probably see inexperience as my biggest weakness. I dislike the feelings I sometimes get of utter imperfection and of emotional isolation from humanity (regardless of socialization)
    What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?
    People probably see constancy as one of my main strengths. According to Johari, I'm very organized and confident. I like being an extroverted thinker, I like having a white circle, and I like being rational. I also like being female, though I'm sure were I male it would suit me just as well if not better. I like being productive. I like having brown hair. I like having skinny fingers, long toes, small ears and nose, tonsils, a pancreas, ect.
    In what areas of your life would you like help?
    Short-term or long-term?
    Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.
    Yes, but it's not a problem for me. It seems to be mostly irrational people who can't handle ruts.
    What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?
    I like a sense of humor, a sense of decency, and some competence. I get along best with EIIs, LSEs, IEEs, SLIs, and SEIs, but I can even get along with betas as long as we can laugh at our differences.
    How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?
    I never considered myself much of a romantic. Sex is reserved for marriage. Partner should be Christian, male, similar in age to me, not blonde, not obese, not have a 6-pack or be unnaturally muscular, EII, want a family, and have some means of supporting a family.
    If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?
    I want to give them knowledge of God , knowledge of academics, a good amount of playtime, and more hugs than I got when I was a kid. (I think I may have been socially stunted due to a lack of physical contact.)
    A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?
    Inwardly I may groan at their stupidity. Outwardly I'll either state my view or make a joke about it.
    Describe your relationship to society. How do you see people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one.
    The prevalent social problem is sin. People as a whole are a bunch of sinners who try to act like good people.

My relationship to society...I hate to admit it, but I'm sort of a tourist. I'm not a part of society; I'm visiting. And it's kind of obvious I don't fit in.
    How do you choose your friends and how do you behave around them?
    Friends are just whoever I happen to be around and get along with. I don't really choose them; they just sort of happen. I normally behave pleasantly and friendlily around them.
    How do you behave around strangers?
    Like a nutcase because they don't know who I am and I'll never see them again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abbie is this questionnaire open to all members?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadoW805 View Post
    Abbie is this questionnaire open to all members?
    Yeah. There's a button for it along the top of the forum.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    In the Old Testament, God told Israel's leaders to kill people. When they didn't, God got mad. In the New Testament, Jesus promoted Mercy. In the American Revolution, World War I, and World War II, God was with us. Murder is wrong, but killing to protect your loved ones when other options aren't working is not. And if God tells you to kill, you'd better kill!
    VIRGINIA BEACH, Va., Feb. 12 (UPI) -- A Virginia man diagnosed with schizophrenia told reporters that he cut his 5-year-old son's head off to save him from the anti-Christ.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/02/...#ixzz2ZlVjopRx

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the American Revolution, World War I, and World War II, God was with us.
    [IMG]http://feuerbringer.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/******-gott_mit_uns.jpg?w=251&h=247&h=247[/IMG]

...he was not just with "you".

And if God tells you to kill, you'd better kill! Because God has more power than anyone, and don't want God mad at you.
    Congrats, you're insane.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

it was touching how candid you were in some of your answers. <3

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yolo

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are not religious?

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

it's funny how it's popular to say you should be yourself regardless what other people think and not submit to popular opinion etc. but when somebody actually does fall outside the norm they still catch so much shit.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    it's funny how it's popular to say you should be yourself regardless what other people think and not submit to popular opinion etc. but when somebody actually does fall outside the norm they still catch so much shit.
    It's hilarious for sure.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is counter productive to define beliefs as something you are. They exist to reflect the world in adapting and hopefully developing fashion and to inform your decisions.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    VIRGINIA BEACH, Va., Feb. 12 (UPI) -- A Virginia man diagnosed with schizophrenia told reporters that he cut his 5-year-old son's head off to save him from the anti-Christ.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/02/...#ixzz2ZlVjopRx
    If he'd read the Bible he'd have known God never wants people to kill their children.

Quote Originally Posted by NobleFool View Post
    Good question. Why do people say sin is natural? It isn't. God created what is natural, and that does not involve sin. Sin wasn't exactly man-made, though. Adam and Eve just copied the idea from Lucy, the original disobedient/sinful creature.
    Rather say that sin is normal. The unnatural is commonplace (just as it's normal to be abnormal).

it was touching how candid you were in some of your answers. <3
    Thank you, though I'm not sure what you were referring to.

I can critically think as opposed to regurgitating dogma.

Stereotypes are like rules: they are meant to be broken.
    I hope you aren't planning to break all the stereotypes so soon after getting your typing. That would get you retyped in a heartbeat.

Was this directed to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Esaman View Post
    It is counter productive to define beliefs as something you are. They exist to reflect the world in adapting and hopefully developing fashion and to inform your decisions.
    If I were to try to define myself without involving my beliefs, the description would be incomplete, for this is my world view. I'm sure you have your own. If I were try to answer this questionnaire without it, it would be something like, "Beauty is something some stuff has and love is something people do to pizza."

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If he'd read the Bible he'd have known God never wants people to kill their children.
    I don't really want to rain on your parade, DA, but schizophrenics do read the Bible. Simply speaking they're looking for answers what's wrong(?) with them (They try to self heal - some do pick up smoking to calm themselves), and so they turn to things that might justify their actions and make them valid(?) in their own fleeting minds.

I'm not killing religion per se, but being aware and knowing a certain quota comes from and adheres to religious beliefs is liberating. I'm no kidding, the one I new in real life as completely dysfunctional - he would go in public "thrusting his sword into his foes", having taxi tattooed on his forehead (prison slang here), and he got jailed again as far my memory can tell. His drinking mate hanged himself in his basement while he was out getting booze but bought glue instead.
    Last edited by Absurd; 07-22-2013 at 06:53 PM.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't really want to rain on your parade, DA, but schizophrenics do read the Bible. Simply speaking they're looking for answers what's wrong(?) with them (They try to self heal), and so they turn to things that might justify their actions.
    Must've been the wrong parts. Genesis 2:12 shows God wants us to put him before our offspring, but not to kill them. Deuteronomy 18:10 and Jeremiah 7:31 show that God is against human (particularly offspring) sacrifice. The end of Judges 11 has been misinterpreted to imply Jephthah sacrificed his daughter, but it never mentioned her dying, only in remaining a virgin. It was still heartbreaking for Jephthah, for Judges 11:34 says he was his only child, and giving her to God meant he would never hand grandchildren.

I'm going to assume I don't need to argue with anybody about whether killing their kids is bad and that I wasted some time on a schizophrenic who will never read this.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God is telling me he wants olivia munn to marry me
    Rather say that sin is normal. The unnatural is commonplace (just as it's normal to be abnormal).
    What is it about sin that makes it abnormal or unnatural? I've got my opinion on that, but I'm just curious what your opinion is.
    Last edited by rat1; 07-22-2013 at 07:14 PM.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by returnofxenu View Post
    What is it about sin that makes it abnormal or unnatural? I've got my own opinion on that, but I'm just curious what your opinion is.
    Going by the premise that nature is what God made, sin would be like a mutation or cancer on nature. It defiles it while appearing to be part of it. If you think a (normally-hatched) two-headed albino snake with only one kidney is natural, you probably think sin is natural too.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going by the premise that nature is what God made, sin would be like a mutation or cancer on nature. It defiles it while appearing to be part of it. If you think a (normally-hatched) two-headed albino snake with only one kidney is natural, you probably think sin is natural too.
    So you consider mutation or cancer unnatural. Do you consider death unnatural?

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whenever i tell abbie i love her she gets really nervous

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Must've been the wrong parts. Genesis 2:12 shows God wants us to put him before our offspring, but not to kill them. Deuteronomy 18:10 and Jeremiah 7:31 show that God is against human (particularly offspring) sacrifice. The end of Judges 11 has been misinterpreted to imply Jephthah sacrificed his daughter, but it never mentioned her dying, only in remaining a virgin. It was still heartbreaking for Jephthah, for Judges 11:34 says he was his only child, and giving her to God meant he would never hand grandchildren.
    Providing you still want to cling to the original, the source, know some of the parts you're quoting are not original (nor canon as hkkmr says) and were bound to few mistranslations along the way. JHWH got "a bit mistranslated" when it comes to Aramaic to Latin. Blame the "scholars", I do.

Take upon this and interpret it your way:

"Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand. (Daniel 12:10)

"Happy are those who mourn: God will comfort them!" (Matt. 5:4)

"Everyone must obey the state authorities; for no authority exists without God's permission, and the existing authorities have been put there by God. Whoever opposes the existing authority opposes what God has ordered; and anyone who does so will bring judgment on himself[...](Rom. 13:1-5 )

Argue that against forum members on here, claiming be Christian and "more Christian than you not even being Christian". None of them are.

I'm going to assume I don't need to argue with anybody about whether killing their kids is bad and that I wasted some time on a schizophrenic who will never read this.
    I wound't be so sure about that. There's a couple(?) abortion threads around.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    whenever i tell abbie i love her she gets nervous
    "What kind of 'love is that?" DA is going to ask, I'm thinking.
    Last edited by Absurd; 07-22-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Was this directed to me?
    i suppose if anything it was directed at absurd, pa3s, and william. just seeing what you wrote about feeling alienated from society and then scrolling down 10 seconds later and seeing people commenting on what you said about your beliefs.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So you consider mutation or cancer unnatural. Do you consider death unnatural?
    I never really thought about it. But now that I do...
    yes, I guess death is unnatural. For a body to wear out without being able to properly replace bad cells is not natural. But what about falling to one's death? Gravity is natural. So is an object being crushed when enough force is put on it. And walking around with a crushed skull can't be natural...
    You've given me an interesting discussion topic. Thank you. Maybe I'll get back to you.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I hope you aren't planning to break all the stereotypes so soon after getting your typing. That would get you retyped in a heartbeat.
    I just realized @NobleFool is Snaps, not Name13. Snaps, shame on you for having the same first initial as a real LSE and keeping my type under your username. You should be retyped in a heartbeat.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never really thought about it. But now that I do...
    yes, I guess death is unnatural. For a body to wear out without being able to properly replace bad cells is not natural. But what about falling to one's death? Gravity is natural. So is an object being crushed when enough force is put on it. And walking around with a crushed skull can't be natural...
    You've given me an interesting discussion topic. Thank you. Maybe I'll get back to you.
    Death is unnatural, and yet all the food we eat was once alive and then died. Life is built on death.
    Cancer or mutation is unnatural, and yet evolution operates through mutation... Life is built on mutation.
    You said you believe Lucy was the first sinner, so I take it you also have incorporated evolution into your belief system.

If you put a limited amount of resources into a petri dish filled with bacteria, the bacteria proliferate and over time exhaust their resources, pollute the environment, then begin to mutate, and then die off. This process is both natural and predictable. The same limitation of resources is what causes cancer.

In the same way our world is in the process of dying out. The world is overpopulated, society is proliferating the human population rapidly... We are exhausting our resources, people are strained, and humanity is out of touch with nature. Sin is a mutation or cancerous adaptation that occurs within a strained environment. This is all a result of limited resources and social strains placed onto people. The problem of sin, cancer, and mutation is as natural as the bacteria proliferating in a petri dish.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

And walking around with a crushed skull can't be natural...
    My SLE brother said, "You wouldn't walk around with a crushed skull. You would just lie on the ground until you were healthy." (My mom couldn't really participate in the topic. Her definition of "natural" includes metal buildings.)

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't know who's more territorial over their type, you with being LSE or Maritsa with being EII.
    I am. There aren't many EIIs who could out-territory (out-territorial? out-terror? out-territorialize?) me.
    I'd like to meet Maritsa someday. I'm sure she's more soft-spoken in person than online. (So am I, but mostly because I respect old people, and I don't see any old people online.)

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Death is unnatural, and yet all the food we eat was once alive and then died. Life is built on death.
    Death of plants. My mom was trying to explain that plant mutations were sometimes positive. I guess plants work on a different system.
    Cancer or mutation is unnatural, and yet evolution operates through mutation... Life is built on mutation.
    No.
    You said you believe Lucy was the first sinner, so I take it you also have incorporated evolution into your belief system.
    "Lucy" is short for "Lucifer!"

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hah. Lucy is also the name of the oldest recovered neanderthal, and is often referenced by evolutionists as the missing link.
    So you don't believe in evolution then. Gotcha

So evolution does not exist, yet plants do mutate and die naturally... What are the differences in the system between plants and humans?

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i suppose if anything it was directed at absurd, pa3s, and william. just seeing what you wrote about feeling alienated from society and then scrolling down 10 seconds later and seeing people commenting on what you said about your beliefs.
    I certainly see that flat out telling someone that they're "insane" is not very nice. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, this includes her opinion on religion/values and my opinion on her opinion. Everyone judges and I'm pretty sure that my personal world view includes many things Abbie would not approve. Of course, I don't have to tell her about it so I could have kept my opinion to myself.

But acceptance of society is not a one-way road. It's not surprising if you feel alienated from others if your values are so different from the "mainstream". I'm not at all saying that this is a bad thing. I hold the opinion that everyone should follow their own concepts of morale and personal values. I, too, feel that my opinions on certain issues are much different from the general perception. Social alienation can be the price for a self-created value system.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa3s View Post
    I certainly see that flat out telling someone that they're "insane" is not very nice. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, this includes her opinion on religion/values and my opinion on her opinion. Everyone judges and I'm pretty sure that my personal world view includes many things Abbie would not approve. Of course, I don't have to tell her about it so I could have kept my opinion to myself.

But acceptance of society is not a one-way road. It's not surprising if you feel alienated from others if your values are so different from the "mainstream". I'm not at all saying that this is a bad thing. I hold the opinion that everyone should follow their own concepts of morale and personal values. I, too, feel that my opinions on certain issues are much different from the general perception. Social alienation can be the price for a self-created value system.

you're right and i see you as one of the more respectable people here so it's not really personal. i have sort of a knee jerk reaction when i see what looks like a dog pile which was exacerbated by just having read that she felt alienated.

i still think that for some people (not you) "be yourself" is an ironic cliche.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So plants work on a different system of evolution... or "mutation" if you prefer the term, or death. What are the differences in the system, and why do you acknowledge that plants mutate but insist they do not evolve?
    Yes! I should have realized it before. Plants were created with seeds to "produce after their own kind." Some plants are annuals. God created plants to die and regrow as a regular occurrence, the dead plants fertilizing the new. This has been the natural way of things since the beginning. (Eating cows isn't natural, but it sure is legal!)

Plants do evolve. Most things do. But it's known as minor evolution and remains within the same species.
    I've been in the habit of attacking evolution in general, but it exists. I'm sure everyone's been told of the moths on the trees who changed from white to black. Those genes to be black were always there; they just hadn't come out. The moths were never anything but moths. And a flower will remain the same type of flower when mutated, just a different variety. Kinda like dog-breeding I guess.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes! I should have realized it before. Plants were created with seeds to "produce after their own kind." Some plants are annuals. God created plants to die and regrow as a regular occurrence, the dead plants fertilizing the new. This has been the natural way of things since the beginning. (Eating cows isn't natural, but it sure is legal!)

Plants do evolve. Most things do. But it's known as minor evolution and remains within the same species.
    I've been in the habit of attacking evolution in general, but it exists. I'm sure everyone's been told of the moths on the trees who changed from white to black. Those genes to be black were always there; they just hadn't come out. The moths were never anything but moths. And a flower will remain the same type of flower when mutated, just a different variety. Kinda like dog-breeding I guess.
    If eating cows is not natural, why are there predators that survive by hunting them?

Is there a reason why minor mutation is possible, but minor mutation over millions of years amounting to major mutation is not possible? There are extensive fossil records to suggest this does happen. Do you simply consider the fossil records inadequate?

What do you think about the detailed fossil records of fish progressively adapting to live in shallow water, developing legs, and slowly moving onto the land as frogs? Why do these fossils exist and why do they occur in properly tiered timeframes?
    Last edited by rat1; 07-22-2013 at 08:31 PM.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I thought you'd understand. It was understandable that you had this impression.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa3s View Post
    I hold the opinion that everyone should follow their own concepts of morale and personal values. I, too, feel that my opinions on certain issues are much different from the general perception. Social alienation can be the price for a self-created value system.
    Ye, well, no need to enforce them on anyone. I'm sure they have their own brain and if they accept your or any one one else's point of view it's on their own accord and acceptance of it. Nothing more, nothing less. Besides, majority on here does not know what I go with, and this is the beauty of it. I can sit in a row, in cinema, eat some popcorn, and watch the mob on screen go out of their ways to "prove" something. Seriously, it's like watching a film. So let's assume to consume.

I liek action films by the way...

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Is there a reason why minor mutation is possible, but minor mutation over millions of years amounting to major mutation is not possible? There are extensive fossil records to suggest this does happen. Do you simply consider the fossil records inadequate?

What do you think about the detailed fossil records of fish progressively adapting to live in shallow water, developing legs, and slowly moving onto the land as frogs? Why do these fossils exist and why do they occur in properly tiered timeframes?
    Hoo boy, an evolutionary debate. I hate these things because they make me feel like I'm surrounded by idiots. I don't like feeling like I'm surrounded by idiots.

The fossil record is inadequate. You claim to have records that don't exist. That "Lucy" was a chimpanzee skeleton posed to look human.
    The whole idea of evolution is illogical. It claims that things slowly evolved functioning body parts because it gave their species an advantage, but it dod so very slowly over millions of years because each mutation was small. So somewhere along the line there must have been a creature that had partial wings. It couldn't fly yet. How could this give it any advantage? By weighing it down so other predators could catch it? But ostriches have wings and can't fly. They are fast enough to escape predators! Still, what advantage could a fast runner possibly get from a couple extra bones sticking out for potential wings?
    What about partial legs on fish? "I'm superior to you all because I have a mutation that increases my drag!"

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoo boy, an evolutionary debate. I hate these things because they make me feel like I'm surrounded by idiots. I don't like feeling like I'm surrounded by idiots.
    I have not called you an idiot, nor do I think you are an idiot.
    The fossil record is inadequate. You claim to have records that don't exist. That "Lucy" was a chimpanzee skeleton posed to look human.
    If the ancient fossil records are inadequate evidence of major evolution, how do you explain the ancient fossils existence at all? By your reasoning animals cannot change form. But the fossils we discover are separate species, separate forms. There are major structural differences between the skeleton Lucy and a chimpanzee, for instance.
    If major evolution is impossible, than fossils should closely resemble todays current species. Yet there are not ancient fossils of todays current species in their current forums. Instead we find fossils much different than todays current species.

The whole idea of evolution is illogical. It claims that things slowly evolved functioning body parts because it gave their species an advantage, but it dod so very slowly over millions of years because each mutation was small. So somewhere along the line there must have been a creature that had partial wings. It couldn't fly yet. How could this give it any advantage? By weighing it down so other predators could catch it? But ostriches have wings and can't fly. They are fast enough to escape predators! Still, what advantage could a fast runner possibly get from a couple extra bones sticking out for potential wings?
    Evolution occurs in stages. If an ostrich were to evolve into a flying species it would first need to evolve to be lighter and much smaller. There are many environmental influences which could select for both traits. A lighter smaller frame is an advantage because it requires less calories to sustain.
    An ostrich as we know it would not be directly growing large wings and then beginning to fly, that is too large of an evolutionary leap to happen all at once.
    What about partial legs on fish? "I'm superior to you all because I have a mutation that increases my drag!"
    Fish evolving in shallow water and coming out onto land is one of the most complex and difficult examples of major evolution, since we are dealing with a water creature becoming a land creature. So to understand this, we're going to have to read. Here are a few links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphibi...ionary_history
    http://chem.tufts.edu/science/evolut...transition.htm

Fish living in a shallow environment adapted to use their bottom fins to help steady themselves on the shallow ground and maneuver. They developed a strong, sturdy bottom set of fins over time, and eventually these became long and muscular. There are still species of fish alive today with these traits, which you can watch in the video I am posting.

So we have fish living in this shallow environment, while food is readily available on land. The fish have the means of maneuvering themselves on land via their strong fins. So here is evolutionary incentive to be able to hold you breath as a fish. Fish normally "drown" in air. The gills stick together in air, and the blood vessels inside them that gather oxygen are no longer exposed so they suffocate. There are some fish that can survive outside of water though.
    Over time the fish are able to hold their breaths for longer periods.

Now here is a short video on the development of lungs in fish:

So the breathing aparatus was very moist and held water, allowing the fish to survive for prolonged periods while breathing air. Through diffusion the fish began extracting very small amounts of oxygen from the air as well.

There are also known species of fish living today that have lungs, and can maneuver on land and breath both water and air.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lungfish
    Last edited by rat1; 07-23-2013 at 08:56 PM.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If the fossil records are inadequate evidence of major evolution, how do you explain the fossils existing at all? By your reasoning animals cannot change form to a new species. Then the fossils we discover should exhibit the same skeletal structure of the animals today, yet many of them do not resemble the animals of today at all. There are major structural differences between the skeleton Lucy and a chimpanzee, for instance.
    Fossils exist because of the flood. Most of the animals on the planet were suddenly covered in mud. They didn't have time to be exposed and rot. Even if scavengers had been around they couldn't reach them. And the mud had minerals in it that fossilized the skeletons after a few years.

When I was in school, the biology textbook had a picture of funny-looking horses. I'm assuming that's what you're referring to. Well, Noah only had room for two of each species on the ark, except for a few special cases of clean animal that he took 7 of. He took 2 horses and the rest died. A lot of genetics were lost to the world. There were so many breeds, and now we have only those that came from those two he brought. But I'll bet you don't find many funny cow skeletons we don't have animals similar to today, 'cause Noah got to take 7 of them.

Fish evolving in shallow water and coming out onto land is one of the most complex and difficult examples of major evolution, since we are dealing with a water creature becoming a land creature. So to understand this, we're going to have to read.
    I don't have time for links today. I'm taking breaks from work to post, and I probably shouldn't, considering my deadline. So maybe we can have this discussion next month (after my deadline), okay?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think of the idea that Jesus and God were not identical beings; rather, that they were distinct, but loosely connected entities united as one hypostasis in the body of Christ?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Religion split forum again it seems. Oh well, Atheism is a belief as well, so ye 'non-faithful' can find something there as well. Hah!

Follow the bouncing bunny rabbit in a silk dress and give your lYfe meaning, oh my...

Kafka missing.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    What do you think of the idea that Jesus and God were not identical beings; rather, that they were distinct, but loosely connected entities united as one hypostasis in the body of Christ?
    I'm not sure what your question is. I think of the trinity as a green triangle. Three sides, three people, make up the greenness. But each is green on its own. and nothing else in the universe is truly green. But since humans were made after God's image we're sort of teal, which is still more green than anything else. Does that answer your question, whatever it was?

Religion split forum again it seems. Oh well, Atheism is a belief as well, so ye 'non-faithful' can find something there as well. Hah!
    Actually this is all taking place in my questionnaire thread, which had a lot of this sort of stuff in the first post, so I guess it's still on-topic.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Actually this is all taking place in my questionnaire thread, which had a lot of this sort of stuff in the first post, so I guess it's still on-topic.
    Never said it is off-topic. I just wrote religion split the thread again. Just look, wake up. Wanky wanky, rinse and repeat. Keep it going though, I would like to see more intellectuals(?) post in this thread. It is still missing a few I know they would want to write a thing or two.

Maybe some idiot, I mean respected forum member, is going to post a vid of Carlin again? I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast