Thread: Ni dominance relation to schizotypy

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ni dominance relation to schizotypy

Since we have an ADD thread and an IEE thread, I think the time is right for sneakily sneaking in my obsession with schizotypy

Basically, it's a phenotype with altered brain structure. Where the autistic phenotype results in an overproduced, understructured brain, schizotypy results in the opposite. Some of the consequences measured include:

poor motivation, introversion, weakened executive function (impulse control, working memory), too much material being drawn into consciousness (hallucinations, illusions, strange bodily experiences), and a preference for alternative realities (the little brother to psychosis).

I suspect a lot of schizotypes are drawn to IEI as being an imaginative, introverted, easygoing type. As such, I'm curious to hear how IEIs (and ILIs) relate to having difficulties with motivation and focus.

To start with, I don't think sehnsucht and actively envisioned long-range goals constitute "focus". I mean momentary focus, such as maintaining concentration on things. I find myself easily absorbed into things and hemorrhaging time, but when I don't want to do something, I'm very aware of my ever-wandering mind. I find it difficult to push myself to do things as well, or contain my intellectual impulses. I suppose it shows in my ever-expanding writing style.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does this have to do with Ni?

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sssonyyy View Post
    What does this have to do with Ni?
    Maybe nothing or maybe something. I'd be curious if those with schizotypy were more common in the IEIs, so let's, you know, observe first and explain later.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ClownsandEntropy View Post
    Maybe nothing or maybe something. I'd be curious if those with schizotypy were more common in the IEIs, so let's, you know, observe first and explain later.
    I'm just gonna be that asshole who says it, a grain of a song of sand is LII through and through. I'd be curious if those with schizotypy were more common among people who didn't first look it up in wikipedia.. I did, and it's a theory, not a thing that you can have.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

maybe not even type-related:

personally i have a lot more motivation to do things when i know that the tasks are necessary to achieve a long-term goal. to actually get these things done in the short-term, it helps me to have deadlines (but even then i do many things late, often to my own detriment)

i'm also usually aware of when i'm procrastinating & doing other things in order to avoid doing something else. i can feel pretty guilty over doing this. the avoidance of a certain task can even be telling, i.e. the procrastination may result in realizations that were previously unconscious: that i really didn't want to do a thing after all, that i place certain things at a lower priority than others, etc.

another thing is that i can be a perfectionist with certain tasks. so it can be difficult to even begin said task, knowing that i'm about to enter the long, arduous process of ensuring that i do a "perfect" job. i am slow, but thorough & conscientious.

sometimes i even wonder if my difficulty with meeting deadlines, being on time, etc. are a product of unconscious "rebellion" against other people's standards & rules.

lately (past several months) my focus has really been lacking. i think things like being on the internet a lot don't help - overall i do better when i'm not distracted by it. now i understand why a lot of people take certain drugs in order to concentrate & be more productive - enough to finish a term paper in one night, for example. though i'm not at the point where i could really be convinced to do that.

i feel that i'm really pretty lazy a lot of the time. but that doesn't mean i don't give a shit, if that makes sense.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually procrastinate and gun it right before the deadline.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i find that i function best when my external environment is providing structure because i won't create it sufficiently myself when left entirely to my devices.

there is a part to me that then hates the imposed structure, but it is not the wiser part.

ps. by structure i do not mean long term goals or a sense of large scale direction, i can manage myself and brook no delegation on that front.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just gonna be that asshole who says it, a grain of a song of sand is LII through and through. I'd be curious if those with schizotypy were more common among people who didn't first look it up in wikipedia.. I did, and it's a theory, not a thing that you can have.
    Pfft, syntax .

But yeah, the traits first struck me as something with which LIIs might identify, but it could also be an ILI or IEI thing too. To be honest I don't really know that much about it at all apart from Wikipedia-ing it. I don't personally - as an LII - identify with the description given (but we're not actually looking for "all LIIs are X", just "some XXXx's have traits which are reminiscent of X") even though I do see how it could be relevant for LIIs, what with the "introverted anhedonia" and "cognitive disorganisation".

As G of S of S said, though, I reckon it's possible that ILIs and IEIs might identify with the descriptions given. Additionally, "Impulsive nonconformity: The disposition to unstable mood and behaviour particularly with regard to rules and social conventions," reminds me of ILI friends who decide that something is a waste of energy and not going to be an effective use of time.

No idea about a grain of a song of sand's type.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't worry, you're not being an asshole. You're allowed to think of me as LII, since type is rather a fleeting and subjective thing. Keep in mind that schizotypy is a measurable trait by various methods, two of which are objective tests which have been evaluated as having good reliability (O-LIFE and SPQ). If you're stuck in a binary mentality, no, you can't "have" schizotypy, like you can have a type. (IMO you can't "have" a type, only a series of certainties about various types.)

Its also irrelevant what type you, or anyone else, thinks I am. I'm curious about what IEIs experience, with an additional bit of curiosity about the traits I mentioned, which according to research can appear in schizotypy. (BTW, this is something you would know if you knew what you were talking about. Wikipedia is not a complete Bible of knowledge.) I'm interested in this latter aspect because, as I said in my post, I think a lot of people with higher levels of schizotypy are drawn to IEI.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Grain of a Song of Sand View Post
    ... hallucinations, illusions, strange bodily experiences ... alternative realities ...
    that sounds very enticing

i've been thinking that cleaning and organizing my living space would be a lot easier if it had a few extra dimensions to it so that i could stuff all the junk there

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've seen, all the extra dimensions are filled with abstract junk, so there's no room for material junk in them. Just look at @hitta. I think all the vedic astrology leaves no room for his extensive cigar collection.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Grain of a Song of Sand View Post
    (BTW, this is something you would know if you knew what you were talking about. Wikipedia is not a complete Bible of knowledge.)
    TOTAL LII patronizing jab hidden amongst calm rhetoric. IEIs do not have so much patience.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do struggle with lack of motivation/focus, but I am generally able to overcome that challenge with a few tools which I associate primarily with Ni and Se.

First---and I also think this is sympomatic of a lot of sort of middle-class/upper-middle class, achievement driven kids like me and most of the people I went to school with---I do much better with positive motivation than negative motivation. In the simplest sense, I respond better to "do this and you'll get a promotion" than "fail to do this and you'll get fired." This can have an upside---I'm driven to really excel and go above and beyond in all the things I really care about, that whole "first to arrive and last to leave" thing. However, that effect often fades after a while, as it's sustained not by duty or by a commitment to excellence (more IJ concepts, imo), but by the propulsion of "this will help me get to the next goal!" If, after a while, it's not helping me get to the next goal, I will almost overnight go from above and beyond to bare minimum. It's a challenge. At least I know it about myself. I relate this to Ni in the sense that Ni is concerned, imo, with final causes. What's the purpose? What's the ultimate objective? This is how I make sense of the (to me) odd notion that Ni is about time. I like to think that NI is about sliding extreme distances on the timeline comfortably. Understanding how the present relates to the future. Understanding how the present was birthed by the past. Not a step by step "this leads to that" but a more general, "this is on the road to that." When I feel like I'm not on the road to my "that," my motivation and focus go to shit.

2) Having other people around and interacting with them as much as possible. I really think I'm an energy vampire. Literally I can work better with other people in the room, even if we're not interacting, than I can by myself. This works less well for family members and housemates, who I am accustomed to ignoring in order to create solitude for myself when necessary. But anyway, other people give me propulsion and energy to act. I associate Ni with the Percy Shelley quote, "I always go on until I am stopped and I am never stopped." Ni is inertial. If we're in motion, we're gonna stay in motion. If we're at rest, we're gonna stay at rest. Thanks to the friction of life, when I'm by myself, I'm going to eventually go into rest state. Rest state is where I am when I'm posting on this forum or reading an article or sliding across facebook. But with other people around, I always have an extra source of energy to keep going. I can keep moving because I'm surrounded by company! I associate this one with Se, because it works best around Se egos who just have that propulsive effect on me. Or at least that's what I think. That might be a lie my socionics forum told me. But for now I think it might be true.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.