Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: N vs S

  1. #1
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default N vs. S

    I'm writing test questions. For this thread, I want to focus on intuion vs. sensing without getting into introverted vs. extroverted functions. Please offer your opions and suggestions.

    Do you
    -see the physical reality of things, or
    -see with your mind (concepts, theories, foresight, or possibilities)?

    Are you
    -more attracted to the theory than the practice, or
    -more practical and realistic?

    Are you more likely to ask:
    -"That sounds like a good/bad idea. Let's see how it actually works."
    -"That is/isn't working. Let's look at what the concept behind it is."

    Are you more interested in something/some one's
    -current value
    -potential value

    Do you think more about
    -the here and now, or
    -the past and/or the future?
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  2. #2
    XoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,407
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: N vs. S

    Although I think there are such differences between Si/Se, Ni/Ne that it might not be a good idea to put them "back" to one box I will try I take a personal approach to these questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Do you
    -see the physical reality of things, or
    -see with your mind (concepts, theories, foresight, or possibilities)?
    I always have some problems with questions like this. As in I like to think I see the physical reality of things. But perhaps I just see an abstract concept which is an abstraction of such reality. I can identify with "foresight" and "possibilities" rather well. I can't identify that well with "concepts" and "theories" as I wouldn't call my perceptions with those names I think. If you keep the "foresight" and "possibilities" there I would probably choose N. If you take them out and leave only "concepts" and "theories" I would probably choose S because I like to think I'm not out of touch with reality nor want to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Are you
    -more attracted to the theory than the practice, or
    -more practical and realistic?
    This is interesting question. I don't feel too attracted to theory itself but I don't feel very practical either. I think I am realistic, capable of handling theory but not too fond of it, and not very practical. Somehow I still feel more N here. It is the "practical" that does it. It sounds so S. So perhaps "practical" is more related to S than "realism". I mean e.g. ISFps seem unrealistic sometimes but they seem to be very practical.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Are you more likely to ask:
    -"That sounds like a good/bad idea. Let's see how it actually works."
    -"That is/isn't working. Let's look at what the concept behind it is."
    Here I would probably choose the first option. Is this a good question then? I don't know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Are you more interested in something/some one's
    -current value
    -potential value
    Here I would clearly choose the "potential value". I see "current value" being just someone's potential value in current situation. So by indicating I'm interested in someone's potential value I'm also indicating that I'm interested in their current value. I.e. I'm interested in both but I would choose "potential value" because I don't want to narrow myself down to current situation only.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Do you think more about
    -the here and now, or
    -the past and/or the future?
    Here is a clear N for me. This sounds like Se vs Ni question though. How does it work with Si vs Ne?

    Try to make something out of that Little messy I agree. I think I will list here some words that came up when I asked ppl to find single words to define functions...maybe that will help more...I will group them into "N" and "S"...

    Are you more...
    N: Inventive, Novel, Insightful, Timely, Foresightful, Perceptive
    S: Energetic, Forceful, Alert, Observant, Self-aware, Aesthetical (,Practical)

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is exactly the point in which I can't determine.
    ex-nameless ixtp
    *** Warning - Risk of poor communication and late response.

  4. #4
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    the trick is, how do you ask a question about S that won't make Se types think it's not them because it sounds too Si, and vice versa
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    the trick is, how do you ask a question about S that won't make Se types think it's not them because it sounds too Si, and vice versa
    The second is in it. Most people around here seems not interested about difference between and .
    ex-nameless ixtp
    *** Warning - Risk of poor communication and late response.

  6. #6
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    the most difficult questions are the T vs. F ones. How do you write a question that appeals to the Fe types AND the IxFjs?
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  7. #7
    XoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,407
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: N vs. S

    Edited: double post...see below

  8. #8
    XoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,407
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: N vs. S

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Are you more interested in something/some one's
    -current value
    -potential value
    In one of Hugo's tests this was asked...
    - current value
    - hidden value

    I'm not sure if this is what you meant. Hugos's version means something like "this person looks like a total looser at first sight but you can see something in him/her that makes you think he/she could be developed to be a winner in the long run". I didn't think the original question this way. I understood "potential value" mean something like "The strenghts of this person are useless in the current situation but might become important in the future so I better keep him around". So is "potential" more related to "situational potentiality" or "hidden potentiality"? And which is more N? And does this differ between Ni and Ne?

  9. #9
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    They are both intuitive answers... I like "potential value" more, but if people relate better to "hidden value", perhaps that's what it should be.

    I do think that "potential" is more a Ni answer and "hidden" is more a Ne answer. "Potential" means that value will develop due to circumstances or cause and effect relationships, while "hidden" implies that it's already there, but no one has utilized it yet.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    the most difficult questions are the T vs. F ones. How do you write a question that appeals to the Fe types AND the IxFjs?
    How is this?

    -I agree less with people who regard financial things as most important because it can be sometimes evil/cruel/choking/wretched/etc...
    ----and/or
    -I agree less with substantial super-stoicism because it's just boring/unexiting/hypocritical/complacency/less empathizing with neediness/etc...

    I know it's sly to multiple-choicize

    http://the16types.info/forums/viewto...=108853#108853
    Like my above mention, these two contain same value in different situations. How people choose is more important than what they choose, in this case.
    ex-nameless ixtp
    *** Warning - Risk of poor communication and late response.

  11. #11
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  12. #12
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default Re: N vs. S

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I'm writing test questions. For this thread, I want to focus on intuion vs. sensing without getting into introverted vs. extroverted functions. Please offer your opions and suggestions.

    Do you
    -see the physical reality of things, or
    -see with your mind (concepts, theories, foresight, or possibilities)?

    Are you
    -more attracted to the theory than the practice, or
    -more practical and realistic?

    Are you more likely to ask:
    -"That sounds like a good/bad idea. Let's see how it actually works."
    -"That is/isn't working. Let's look at what the concept behind it is."

    Are you more interested in something/some one's
    -current value
    -potential value

    Do you think more about
    -the here and now, or
    -the past and/or the future?
    This seems extremely MBTI-esque. Way too stereotypical.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  13. #13
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I wrote the questions directly from socionics sites' descriptions.

    Do you have any suggestions?
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  14. #14
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    My suggestion would be to avoid these miniature tests in the first place, because it is this type of thing (no matter how accurate) that causes many people to mistype themselves.

    Also, even though I am a definate sensory ( ) type, I can still definately relate to a lot of the things on the N side.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  15. #15
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    no matter how long a test is, if it's testing stuff like E, I, S, N, T, F, j, and p or any combination of the above (IJ, etc), it's worthless imo
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  16. #16
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    no matter how long a test is, if it's testing stuff like E, I, S, N, T, F, j, and p or any combination of the above (IJ, etc), it's worthless imo
    Heh, then that defeats the point of this thread.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  17. #17
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    no. it doesn't.

    look at the whole, not just parts of the whole.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  18. #18
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    no. it doesn't.

    look at the whole, not just parts of the whole.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  19. #19
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm still confused about why anyone who understands Ti thinks that I have Ti in my ego block
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •