Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 56

Thread: Proof of God's Existence

  1. #1
    Cone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,717
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Proof of God's Existence

    I found this link on a math forum and thought I'd throw a monkey wrench into the fray of your own rationality.

    http://www.geocities.com/tagonist/god.html

    Now explain this one.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

  2. #2
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wow. And he chose to speak English too.

    I think it's a bit coincidence and a bit editing the rules to fit what the person wanted.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  3. #3
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Incredible coincidence? Clever mathematical manipulation? Interesting nonetheless.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  4. #4
    oyburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    somewhere overthere
    Posts
    2,528
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah... I'm convinced

    Its the same nonsense as when they say that the bible has a code that talks about Hitler and Osama.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    forget the absurdity of the code. forget that it's somewhere hidden in the depths, past at least the 200th decimal digit of pi.


    what does pi have to do with god???

  6. #6
    MysticSonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I thought pi was only three digits.

    (For those who don't know, that is a previously held Christian belief.)
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

    "Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

  7. #7
    oyburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    somewhere overthere
    Posts
    2,528
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    forget that it's somewhere hidden in the depths, past at least the 200th decimal digit of pi.
    Why do none of the other numbers contain a message?
    And I think its fascinating that, like Slacker Mom/Nicky pointed out, god's language is apparently English.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That is some weird reasoning there ...

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    703
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I guess I'll play devil's advocate (oh the irony) for the sake of discussion.

    Perhaps it is in English as, per God's ability to know everything, he knew who might stumble across this and when, and so he chose a language suitable to deliver the message. Perhaps upon further investigation, this same message can be discovered in other languages. Perhaps there are other messages. Maybe he'll even tell us who's right and who's wrong about him. Pi could be the modern bible.

    Of course, perhaps one should find out if this sequence actually occurs in pi before there is further investigation.
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

  10. #10
    Cone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,717
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    forget that it's somewhere hidden in the depths, past at least the 200th decimal digit of pi.
    Why do none of the other numbers contain a message?
    And I think its fascinating that, like Slacker Mom pointed out, god's language is apparently English.
    Good point, but is this proof still significant? Can you prove that it is incorrect?
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

  11. #11
    Cone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,717
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Of course, perhaps one should find out if this sequence actually occurs in pi before there is further investigation.
    It doesn't. The proof is bullshit. I just wanted to see people's reactions to a supposed proof against their beliefs, a proof that they cannot immediately disprove.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    703
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    Of course, perhaps one should find out if this sequence actually occurs in pi before there is further investigation.
    It doesn't. The proof is bullshit. I just wanted to see people's reactions to a supposed proof against their beliefs, a proof that they cannot immediately disprove.
    Well, that ruins my fun.

    And I was imagining courthouses everywhere, with individuals swearing an oath on pi.
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

  13. #13
    oyburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    somewhere overthere
    Posts
    2,528
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    forget that it's somewhere hidden in the depths, past at least the 200th decimal digit of pi.
    Why do none of the other numbers contain a message?
    And I think its fascinating that, like Slacker Mom pointed out, god's language is apparently English.
    Good point, but is this proof still significant? Can you prove that it is incorrect?
    No; it was his reasoning that bothered me.

    Quote Originally Posted by niveK
    And I was imagining courthouses everywhere, with individuals swearing an oath on pi.
    In pi we trust
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It is actually not really that hard to make a mathimatical proof about any sort of abstract concept, since abstract concepts for the most part have absolutly nothing to do with reality. Not to mention that since God as people imagine him/her/it really doesn't exist in the real world anyways, so it is pretty easy to see God as an abstract concept that can be proven using such proofs is someone really was out to find justification for God. It is a pretty flawed approach, though.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cone

    It doesn't. The proof is bullshit. I just wanted to see people's reactions to a supposed proof against their beliefs, a proof that they cannot immediately disprove.
    false. this proof can be immediately disproven due to the fact that it has no meaning; the digits of pi are not an acceptable medium for a bible or a perfect interpretation of reality. if pi were a medium, then why pi? because it's "more important" than e or phi or any one of the infinite irrational numbers which exist?

    the fact that pi is an irrational number represents a natural phenomenon, not divine intervention.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    actually, it occurs to me that, somewhere in the digits of ANY irrational number, if you dug deep enough, you would eventually find this exact sequence of numbers. you would also eventually find every single other finite sequence of numbers that you could think of an infinite number of times.

    so you could just as accurately develop the prooof which contained the statement by this code that indicated that "It is inherent in the universe that God does not exist."

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmcnew
    It is actually not really that hard to make a mathimatical proof about any sort of abstract concept, since abstract concepts for the most part have absolutly nothing to do with reality. Not to mention that since God as people imagine him/her/it really doesn't exist in the real world anyways, so it is pretty easy to see God as an abstract concept that can be proven using such proofs is someone really was out to find justification for God. It is a pretty flawed approach, though.
    the problem with this is that this argument for the existence of god is in no way mathematical. it takes some digits of pi and doesn't do anything with these digits at all except translate them into a code.


    and you can't mathematically prove a concept like this; you can only define the mathematical framework by which it might run.

  18. #18
    Cone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,717
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone

    It doesn't. The proof is bullshit. I just wanted to see people's reactions to a supposed proof against their beliefs, a proof that they cannot immediately disprove.
    false. this proof can be immediately disproven due to the fact that it has no meaning; the digits of pi are not an acceptable medium for a bible or a perfect interpretation of reality. if pi were a medium, then why pi? because it's "more important" than e or phi or any one of the infinite irrational numbers which exist?

    the fact that pi is an irrational number represents a natural phenomenon, not divine intervention.
    I agree with you, but the proof is not immediately disproven. The phrase, "birds exist", could just as likely appear in the digits of pi, but the proposition is true. But I know what you mean, that this isn't really a proof at all.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    703
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone

    It doesn't. The proof is bullshit. I just wanted to see people's reactions to a supposed proof against their beliefs, a proof that they cannot immediately disprove.
    false. this proof can be immediately disproven due to the fact that it has no meaning; the digits of pi are not an acceptable medium for a bible or a perfect interpretation of reality. if pi were a medium, then why pi? because it's "more important" than e or phi or any one of the infinite irrational numbers which exist?

    the fact that pi is an irrational number represents a natural phenomenon, not divine intervention.
    I'm confused. Are you saying this sequence DOES occur in pi?

    EDIT: I realize now you're saying "false" to the idea that it couldn't be immediately disproven.

    And even so, your argument detailed in this post is based upon your opinion that pi is not a acceptable medium for a divine message. You also assume pi would be chosen because it's "more important." Why can it not be chosen because it's more prolific? It seems to me if you wanted a message to be found in an irrational number, you would choose the one most observed, thus increasing the likelihood of its discovery. And you also work under the assumption that this is the only "message" to be found.

    I much prefer Cone's disproof based on the simple fact that the sequence isn't found in pi. It's straightforward and conclusive, based on observable testable facts, unlike your argument based upon opinions and assumptions that impose unjustified limits.

    Furthermore, pi being irrational proves nothing about the existence of the divine. However, a large, coherent message found in such a number would be quite amazing if one were to simply suppose it was entirely coincidence.
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

  20. #20
    Cone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,717
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No, he is right, niveK. This proof is not a proof because a proof shows that something logically derives from something else. This "proof" basically says God exists because pi says God exists.

    However, if such a long message in fact does exist in pi AND no other messages that say otherwise exist in pi, then it is at least very probable that God exists based on the fact that it is a naturally occurring pattern that has no other reason for existing other than God actually put it there.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cone

    I agree with you, but the proof is not immediately disproven. The phrase, "birds exist", could just as likely appear in the digits of pi, but the proposition is true. But I know what you mean, that this isn't really a proof at all.
    ok, yes. technically the proof is very sound in and of itself.

    however, the proof depends upon the notion that this phrase being in pi somehow connotes to the existence of god. this is a stupid assumption and in it lies the fallacy of the proof.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    703
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    No, he is right, niveK. This proof is not a proof because a proof shows that something logically derives from something else. This "proof" basically says God exists because pi says God exists.
    Ahh yes, it's not a proof in the strict sense. I misunderstood him, thinking that he discounted the total meaning of such an event.
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niveK
    And even so, your argument detailed in this post is based upon your opinion that pi is not a acceptable medium for a divine message. You also assume pi would be chosen because it's "more important." Why can it not be chosen because it's more prolific? It seems to me if you wanted a message to be found in an irrational number, you would choose the one most observed, thus increasing the likelihood of its discovery. And you also work under the assumption that this is the only "message" to be found.
    all right, i guess that's fair enough. but the problem is that irrational numbers are theoretical and not determined by god. would it be possible for god to change the value of pi such that the ratio between the diameter and circumference of a circle were exactly 7?

    I much prefer Cone's disproof based on the simple fact that the sequence isn't found in pi. It's straightforward and conclusive, based on observable testable facts, unlike your argument based upon opinions and assumptions that impose unjustified limits.

    Furthermore, pi being irrational proves nothing about the existence of the divine. However, a large, coherent message found in such a number would be quite amazing if one were to simply suppose it was entirely coincidence.
    actually it is found in pi and in every irrational number. since it is a finite sequence of digits, and all irrational numbers have an infinite number of digits, every single irrational number will contain this sequence (and all finite sequences) an infinite number of times.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    703
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    all right, i guess that's fair enough. but the problem is that irrational numbers are theoretical and not determined by god. would it be possible for god to change the value of pi such that the ratio between the diameter and circumference of a circle were exactly 7?
    One could not say whether reality could exist in a completely different manner in which pi could be something else. Such a reality would definitely be beyond our comprehension.

    actually it is found in pi and in every irrational number. since it is a finite sequence of digits, and all irrational numbers have an infinite number of digits, every single irrational number will contain this sequence (and all finite sequences) an infinite number of times.
    Is it a property of irrational numbers that all sequences of numbers of any finite length will occur within the digits of irrational numbers? Is there a section of pi that consists of 3042 zeroes in a row? Or perhaps the integers from 0 to 943 occur consecutively? My mathematical ignorance may be showing.
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yes, there is. it's too deep into the digits of pi probably for anybody to ever pinpoint it, but there is.

    pi has an absolutely infinite amount of digits. these digits never fall into any sort of pattern.

    consider if you had a finite sequence of say 1000 totally random digits. the probability that the sequence 984309850934 will occur somewhere in these digits is not very high. however, if you extend this sequence from 1000 digits to an infinite amount of digits, then after you crunch enough digits, you will eventually find the sequence 984309850934; consider it a probability problem with a numerator of infinity, where the denominator (if finite and nonzero) is irrelevant since the expression, again with a finite and nonzero denominator, is necessarily equal to infinity or negative infinity.

  26. #26
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Nivek, the underlying principle being discussed here is that irrational numbers consists of an infinite sequence of decimals, so therefore if the sequence continues indefinitely, every possible combination of numbers imaginable will eventually occur.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    703
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    Nivek, the underlying principle being discussed here is that irrational numbers consists of an infinite sequence of decimals, so therefore if the sequence continues indefinitely, every possible combination of numbers imaginable will eventually occur.
    Yeah, I got that from niffweed's post. However I still wonder, since pi is calculated instead of generated truly at random if it's possible that a finite sequence of numbers would never occur, as there are an infinite number of finite-length sequences. I did a thought experiment in which I chose a simple pattern that could continue infinitely (every positive integer consecutively), but in any instance where a selected sequence occurred, the sequence would be omitted. Thus it could continue infinitely, but the chosen sequence would never occur. Admittedly, such a number is entirely an artificial construct, and it's doubtful such a number "occurs naturally". I'll accept that irrational numbers do contain all possible sequences of numbers.

    Of course, this means that using the code provided in this "proof," the entire contents of the Bible, the Koran, and any other number of religious texts exists in all irrational numbers. As well as the contents of the Origin of the Species and any other book, fiction or non-fiction, known to man. Furthermore, classics yet to be written would also exist already in the "pi code" (snazzy name, eh? ). Now I'm just rambling...
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

  28. #28
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Theoretically, yeah, it's all true...
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    703
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    Theoretically, yeah, it's all true...
    Then irrational numbers in fact contain every idea that has ever or will ever exist using any "translation" for any language, natural or artificial. It seems so deep, yet so meaningless. Fun.

    And I always thought math was boring...
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niveK
    Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    Nivek, the underlying principle being discussed here is that irrational numbers consists of an infinite sequence of decimals, so therefore if the sequence continues indefinitely, every possible combination of numbers imaginable will eventually occur.
    Yeah, I got that from niffweed's post. However I still wonder, since pi is calculated instead of generated truly at random if it's possible that a finite sequence of numbers would never occur, as there are an infinite number of finite-length sequences. I did a thought experiment in which I chose a simple pattern that could continue infinitely (every positive integer consecutively), but in any instance where a selected sequence occurred, the sequence would be omitted. Thus it could continue infinitely, but the chosen sequence would never occur. Admittedly, such a number is entirely an artificial construct, and it's doubtful such a number "occurs naturally". I'll accept that irrational numbers do contain all possible sequences of numbers.
    no. this is very important: what i said applies only to finite sequences of numbers. what you are describing here applies to an infinite sequence of numbers. exactly one infinite sequence of numbers could ever occur in an irrational number or an infinite sequence of randomly selected digits (ill call this a number as opposed to a sequence to attempt to reduce ambiguity), namely the sequence of numbers you started with. no other infinite sequence could ever apply, because there would always be a digit in the number which is not included in the sequence. the only exception is the sequence of numbers which is precisely defined by the number.

    as an analogy, the only number which is exactly equal to pi is pi. the number 3.2415926... (converging infinitely to some value with the remaining digits equal to that of pi) is not equal to pi since it has one error, even though the remainder of its digits are identical to those of pi. no matter how many digits that conform to a specified infinite sequence, there will always be at least one digit that is not part of the sequence, unless the sequence itself is being defined.

    this means that using the code provided in this "proof," the entire contents of the Bible, the Koran, and any other number of religious texts exists in all irrational numbers. As well as the contents of the Origin of the Species and any other book, fiction or non-fiction, known to man. Furthermore, classics yet to be written would also exist already in the "pi code" (snazzy name, eh? ). Now I'm just rambling...
    isn't it fun to know that everything you've ever said can be described in terms of pi?

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    703
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    no. this is very important: what i said applies only to finite sequences of numbers. what you are describing here applies to an infinite sequence of numbers. exactly one infinite sequence of numbers could ever occur in an irrational number or an infinite sequence of randomly selected digits (ill call this a number as opposed to a sequence to attempt to reduce ambiguity), namely the sequence of numbers you started with. no other infinite sequence could ever apply, because there would always be a digit in the number which is not included in the sequence. the only exception is the sequence of numbers which is precisely defined by the number.

    as an analogy, the only number which is exactly equal to pi is pi. the number 3.2415926... (converging infinitely to some value with the remaining digits equal to that of pi) is not equal to pi since it has one error, even though the remainder of its digits are identical to those of pi. no matter how many digits that conform to a specified infinite sequence, there will always be at least one digit that is not part of the sequence, unless the sequence itself is being defined.
    No, I understood the "finite" limitation on the sequences. I should have specified that in the last sentence of that paragraph.

    On a side note, shouldn't there be a dialog to verify if you want to log out of Windows, should you accidentally hit the key combination because of awkward wireless keyboard position and not actually want to log out? I'm a little angry that I had to retype an entire post because my keyboard slipped and I got logged out against my will...
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

  32. #32
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    On a side note, shouldn't there be a dialog to verify if you want to log out, should you accidentally hit the key combination because of awkward wireless keyboard position and not actually want to log out? I'm a little angry that I had to retype an entire post because my keyboard slipped and I got logged out against my will...
    Put this in the "Site Discussion" forum.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    703
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    On a side note, shouldn't there be a dialog to verify if you want to log out, should you accidentally hit the key combination because of awkward wireless keyboard position and not actually want to log out? I'm a little angry that I had to retype an entire post because my keyboard slipped and I got logged out against my will...
    Put this in the "Site Discussion" forum.
    Err, once again I fail to make myself completely clear. I did not mean I logged out of the forum. I accidentally logged out of Windows. To my knowledge, there are no key combinations that are intended log one out of the forum.
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niveK
    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    no. this is very important: what i said applies only to finite sequences of numbers. what you are describing here applies to an infinite sequence of numbers. exactly one infinite sequence of numbers could ever occur in an irrational number or an infinite sequence of randomly selected digits (ill call this a number as opposed to a sequence to attempt to reduce ambiguity), namely the sequence of numbers you started with. no other infinite sequence could ever apply, because there would always be a digit in the number which is not included in the sequence. the only exception is the sequence of numbers which is precisely defined by the number.

    as an analogy, the only number which is exactly equal to pi is pi. the number 3.2415926... (converging infinitely to some value with the remaining digits equal to that of pi) is not equal to pi since it has one error, even though the remainder of its digits are identical to those of pi. no matter how many digits that conform to a specified infinite sequence, there will always be at least one digit that is not part of the sequence, unless the sequence itself is being defined.
    No, I understood the "finite" limitation on the sequences. I should have specified that in the last sentence of that paragraph.
    ok, but the "thought experiment" which you described was not finite and didn't work because it was not finite, and as a result of this was internally inconsistent.

  35. #35
    Cone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,717
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Uh, 0.3333... is an irrational number, and given any sequence of an arbitrary length, it will only be composed of 3's. An irrational number is not necessarily the set of all permutations of everything conceivable.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    703
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    Quote Originally Posted by niveK
    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    no. this is very important: what i said applies only to finite sequences of numbers. what you are describing here applies to an infinite sequence of numbers. exactly one infinite sequence of numbers could ever occur in an irrational number or an infinite sequence of randomly selected digits (ill call this a number as opposed to a sequence to attempt to reduce ambiguity), namely the sequence of numbers you started with. no other infinite sequence could ever apply, because there would always be a digit in the number which is not included in the sequence. the only exception is the sequence of numbers which is precisely defined by the number.

    as an analogy, the only number which is exactly equal to pi is pi. the number 3.2415926... (converging infinitely to some value with the remaining digits equal to that of pi) is not equal to pi since it has one error, even though the remainder of its digits are identical to those of pi. no matter how many digits that conform to a specified infinite sequence, there will always be at least one digit that is not part of the sequence, unless the sequence itself is being defined.
    No, I understood the "finite" limitation on the sequences. I should have specified that in the last sentence of that paragraph.
    ok, but the "thought experiment" which you described was not finite and didn't work because it was not finite, and as a result of this was internally inconsistent.
    The "number" was not to be found in another irrational number. It was to BE an irrational number that did not contain a specified sequence. If it was finite, the whole thought would be meaningless, as irrational numbers have infinite digits.
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    703
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    Uh, 0.3333... is an irrational number, and given any sequence of an arbitrary length, it will only be composed of 3's. An irrational number is not necessarily the set of all permutations of everything conceivable.
    An irrational number cannot be represented in the form of a/b. 1/3 makes .333.... a rational number. A repeating decimal, yes, but not an irrational number.

    On my "thought experiment": The idea was simply to consider whether an irrational number could exist and not contain all possibile finite sequences. I succeeded, but one might call my design "cheating." I call it "using creative means to achieve results that might not be achievable if limited to traditional methods."
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    Uh, 0.3333... is an irrational number, and given any sequence of an arbitrary length, it will only be composed of 3's. An irrational number is not necessarily the set of all permutations of everything conceivable.
    as nivek said, not irrational.

    edit: this is actually a misconception i've seen with alarming frequency. it seems like i've talked to seven or eight people in the last couple weeks who haven't known that a number like 1/3 is an rational number.

    is this not covered in your standard sixth grade education?

  39. #39
    the flying pig Capitalist Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    5,929
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    This website was obviously a joke. I echo Sycophant's words, as an INTp: you guys really fucking need to get out more.

  40. #40
    Cone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,717
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    Uh, 0.3333... is an irrational number, and given any sequence of an arbitrary length, it will only be composed of 3's. An irrational number is not necessarily the set of all permutations of everything conceivable.
    as nivek said, not irrational.

    edit: this is actually a misconception i've seen with alarming frequency. it seems like i've talked to seven or eight people in the last couple weeks who haven't known that a number like 1/3 is an rational number.

    is this not covered in your standard sixth grade education?
    We were all probably not listening when they said that.

    So I looked it up and found out that an irrational number is any number that cannot be written as a ratio. An irrational number is necessarily an infinitely repeating sequence of whole numbers, but it is not implied that, like I said before, it is the set of all permutations of the set of all permutations of n-length sequences, where n is 1 to infinity, which, as far as I can see, is the semi-formal definition of what you are trying to say.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •