View Poll Results: What do you like on your pizza?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just tomato, basil, and mozzarella (I'm a purist)

11 52.38%
  • Pepperoni

6 28.57%
  • Pineapple

11 52.38%
  • Green peppers, eggplant, spinach, or other vegetables

9 42.86%
  • Ham

4 19.05%
  • Sausage

4 19.05%
  • Jalapenos or other hot peppers

5 23.81%
  • Bacon

2 9.52%
  • Chicken

6 28.57%
  • Other

9 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Pizza

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pizza

I'm in the mood for pizza. I haven't had it in months. This Neapolitan invention has traveled all over the world, and now can be found in forms that are often unrecognizable from the original pizza Margherita. What is pizza like in your region, and what are your favorite variations and toppings?

Here in the D.C. area, we have a local chain called Ledo that serves a unique square pizza with smoked provolone cheese and a really sweet tomato sauce. The crust is thin, crispy, and flaky (almost like pie crust):

Recently, we've had a glut of boutique pizzerias that pride themselves on serving "authentic Neapolitan" pizza with the requisite, certified ingredients imported from Italy and in custom-built ovens. I've only been to one of these restaurants, a place called 2Amys whose pizza looks like this and is pretty good:

We also have a New Haven-style pizza place called Pete's Pizza. New Haven-style pizza is similar to classic New York-style, except the crust is crispier and firmer and they use a much more varied array of toppings. It has really grown on me lately:

I have yet to find a good New York-style pizza in this region, unfortunately.

I don't like Chicago-style (deep dish) or California-style pizza very much. The former is just too doughy and overloaded with cheese and the latter is... not pizza to me. Of the nationwide chains, I used to actually like Pizza Hut's pan pizza, but they've changed the crust and it tastes like cardboard now. Domino's now has a pan pizza that tastes like the old Pizza Hut, but I don't like patronizing that company.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Creepy-bg

the top one looks delicious. I don't go for the big delivery chain pizza anymore (unless it's somebody else ordering), for the past 10+ years i've stuck with this place called Rosati's. they make a tasty thin crust pizza, although it's kind of expensive (about $25 for a large).

not sure about the specifics of the ingredients, but i generally go with just cheese.
    Last edited by bg; 06-28-2013 at 11:23 PM.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really popular for parties around here because the little square slices make good finger-food.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Goat cheese and mushrooms!
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Goat cheese and mushrooms!
    Oh man, that sounds good.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really liked a frozen pizza they used to sell a few years ago (it doesn't exist anymore). It was relatively thin and the topping consisted completely of cheese. It was not a "4 cheese"-type of pizza with mozarella, mould cheese, ect. It was just the one kind of pizza cheese you usually get. But he whole pizza was covered with it. If you got the time exactly right in the oven, the top became slightly crispy and golden while the cheese was still gooey inside. Although the whole thing was a little greasy, it was still awesome.

Another thing I really like is Tarte flambée which may or may not be considered a pizza. The dough is somewhat similar but the topping is different from the typical pizza. I think it's also more crisp and it's a nice alternative to pizza due to the fact that it contains no tomatoes.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

large-grotto-pizza-at.jpegGrotto Cheese Pizza! Be sure to get some the next time you visit the great state of Delaware. Thin crispy crust!
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Pesto, sun dried tomatoes, roasted chicken, bacon, cashew nuts

-
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I had pizza with a sweet sauce once. It was yucky.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tuna.

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gorgonzola, Tuna and Mozzarella die Buffalo are my favorites

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I remember why I don't start or frequent food threads... they make me really hungry. All your pizzas look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa3s View Post
    Another thing I really like is Tarte flambée which may or may not be considered a pizza. The dough is somewhat similar but the topping is different from the typical pizza. I think it's also more crisp and it's a nice alternative to pizza due to the fact that it contains no tomatoes.
    That looks really good. I'm going to find a place around here that makes them.

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favorite Pizza Delivery: Papa Johns' thin crust with double pineapple and garlic/butter dipping sauce.

ls.jpg

Best Frozen Pizza: Ristorante's Vegetable

droetkerpizza.jpg

Latest Pizza Discovery (and new contender): Mellow Mushroom's BBQ chicken pizza

pizzetta1.jpg
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    FSE
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I luv mellow mushroom

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Pesto, sun dried tomatoes, roasted chicken, bacon, cashew nuts

Not to be like, a super mean bully or anything, but while that sounds really good it looks absolutely fucking revolting.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really liked a frozen pizza they used to sell a few years ago (it doesn't exist anymore). It was relatively thin and the topping consisted completely of cheese. It was not a "4 cheese"-type of pizza with mozarella, mould cheese, ect. It was just the one kind of pizza cheese you usually get. But he whole pizza was covered with it. If you got the time exactly right in the oven, the top became slightly crispy and golden while the cheese was still gooey inside. Although the whole thing was a little greasy, it was still awesome.

I laughed so much while reading this. Mainly because I registered everything in Homer's voice. But it sounds delicious. And I'm hungry. So you win.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PrimroseMind View Post
    But it sounds delicious. And I'm hungry. So you win.
    Well, I kinda hate myself for bringing up the memories of this cheese pizza for the same reason.

Hmmmm, cheese pizza.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post
    Not to be like, a super mean bully or anything, but while that sounds really good it looks absolutely fucking revolting.
    Nearly every pizza does - it's all about how you make it.

Chicken, tomato and jalapeño pizza is fine. Eating well is eating well.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mmm, frozen pizzas here are pretty horrible, especially because the cheese is not mozzarella but rather a cheap mixture of crappy fats. There's a couple of good frozen pizzas but they cost 5 €, I'd rather go in a pizzeria then

Here in Germany, I like the chain "Vapiano"; I usually get this pizza:

which is tomato, fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, rucola, parmesan. Really good "fresh" combo.

As Pa3s said, I also think Tarte flambee is really good. I almost prefer tarte flambee to pizza, nowadays, whereby my favorite is a southern-german variant, the Dünnele

from central Baden-Württemberg.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think Pineapple pizza should be made illegal.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Mmm, frozen pizzas here are pretty horrible, especially because the cheese is not mozzarella but rather a cheap mixture of crappy fats.
    I still remember your face when I told you about that.
    It's the industry standard, though. It won't be much different anywhere else except you buy handcrafted or higher quality food.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the industry standard, though. It won't be much different anywhere else except you buy handcrafted or higher quality food.
    Like Dr. Oetker?

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daft21 View Post
    Like Dr. Oetker?
    Well, they don't seem to use cheese analogues (not sure if that's actually true, though). Calling it "Industry standard" might actually be a little exaggerated, as fake cheese is often used by small pizza snack bars to save money.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hawaian Pizza. Food of the gods.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i always get dominoes. i like their crust. sliced sausage and jalapenos. nom.

pineapple on pizza is an abomination. and wtf is this tuna and cashews nonsense.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tuna <3.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Capricciosa: so easy to eat, so difficult to say.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eheh you are indeed right, many pizzerias do use a kind of cheese analogue as well, since you told me that I've been more careful...but if you look at the ingredients of the most expensive frozen pizzas, you usually find "mozzarella", not just "cheese" which imho kind of signals a better quality type of cheese (not necessarily true mozzarella, for sure ). But they cost 5 € each which is not that different from the 6.5 of a restaurant...