Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Money is everything

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Money is everything...

Does anyone else think this? I'm sorry but money is pretty much all you have in this world other than your body. Without money there is no freedom, there is nothing. Life sucks without money. It's hard living a life that depends only on luck and beauty, which is based on luck anyway. Money is everything

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by babybow View Post
    I'm sorry but money is pretty much all you have in this world other than your body.
    Well, there are immaterial values like knowledge, wisdom, friendship, love, ect. But maybe you're only referring to material values here.

Without money there is no freedom
    That's true.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pattern I've seen is people becoming enslaved to money, and losing their freedom. Rather than money being the end, I'd say it's a means toward freedom, which is my "everything". My mind is most important to me, and my body only to the extent that its demands dull my mind.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say more like, having next to zero money is everything, because you starve and can't do anything. But past making a decent living it becomes progressively nothing.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else think this? I'm sorry but money is pretty much all you have in this world other than your body. Without money there is no freedom, there is nothing. Life sucks without money. It's hard living a life that depends only on luck and beauty, which is based on luck anyway. Money is everything
    Having a certain amount of money means a lot

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people are so poor all they have is money.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would world look like if there was no money?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

no it isn't.

to some people, maybe, but to regular, sane, and normal people it isn't; because normal people are not materialistic and greedy and to greedy and materialist gold-diggers, vain people, money is everything.

I'm a normal human being; to me and my family money is a means to live a comfortable life, take care of the people you love and to take care of yourself.

it doesn't buy love, it may buy a partner, but there's no guarantee that what you're looking for will be in that person.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 06-23-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Money is really important, of course.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    Some people are so poor all they have is money.
    How do I get to be this poor???

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

talking about how unimportant it is to have money is either a condolence of people who need more or a self-indulgent stroking of people who don't. either way its stupid. money is obviously important.

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Studies show happiness increases with salary up til 50k - 70k a year... beyond that there is not much increase in happiness.

Right now my dad is making between 250 - 300k a year ... he is pretty miserable. All he thinks about is how he's losing his money. It's like he has no emotions. They have a huge empty house... it's so bland and lonely.. their marriage is barren. I can see how it's a direct result of the money they have.
    Why would you want a 10 bedroom house out in the country if you're living alone inside it? Then there are maybe 5 or 6 other zombies like you in 10 miles... none of them real people.
    Last edited by rat1; 06-23-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some money is important, money for energy bills, rent (or mortgage), food... the basics... beyond that it's not so important unless you are materialistic. I don't care much for it... it's just a concept for trade, to keep people in the machine... people used to trade in goods...exchange, the Seychelles used to use sea shells for currency. . Value is only in the 'demand' of something, these things wax and wane, some become altogether obsolete others stand the test of time (at least in one format or other).

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Imo, I think the game of life for most people is often a balancing act on whether they want more privilege (money) with more obligation (work) or less privilege with less obligation.
    Last edited by Raver; 06-23-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: typo
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

To all you who don't see money as important, please pass some of your excess this way, paypal account to be added

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AbsurdEnough View Post
    You can always make more money, but you can never get more time. A dying person at their bedside never wishes they spent more time at the office.

Relationships matter. Through people we leave a legacy. Through people we are remembered.

Money is a means to an end. When you're poor, you think about money all the time. When you're wealthy, you think about money very little. The goal should be to have enough money so that you don't have to think about it constantly. It's a great life when you can afford to make decisions and base your thinking on principle, and not obligation.
    lol at principles being related to money, are you in an organised religion I take it?

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Money really is great, isn't it?

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Money isn't everything, but it's damn useful. Being broke sucks.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    Imo, I think the game of life for most people is often a balancing act on whether they want more privilege (money) with more obligation (work) or less privilege with less obligation.
    Eh, some expensive things are just nice for their own value, not just for their prestige. A vacation in a wonderfully placed hotel in a small village, a house in a nice landscape...typically kind of expensive.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Material assets mean a lot. However it might manifest in other forms than currency. I'd rather have a nice house set up than all the money needed to do that.

Most things in life rely on one another. Without money you can't achieve much easily. But without, say, respect you can't get any money. Even the old lady you're robbing has to respect your violent authority over her wallet.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i guess i don't have a problem with the philosophy that money is overrated so much as i do with the usual sorts of people who spout that cliche. and it viscerally strikes me as a thoughtless slap in the face toward poor people even though i know it's not meant that way. like patting a homeless person on the shoulder and walking away feeling self satisfied lol.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Money is just something, not everything...

It's also a predicate for many social interactions and exchanges

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it'd be a fun experiment to be dropped off in some city with nothing but the clothes on my back and see how long it takes to create something for myself. I would find resources without having to revert to crime or violence, and pretty quickly I think. But, I have some experience being homeless, and there are so many free services available.

I have a much greater fear of losing my wits than losing all my worldly possessions/money. I can create more money, but that ability and my life depends on my resourcefulness and ability to think. Money is a nice resource for sure, and makes life easier, but it's not life, and it's certainly not everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, money is a part of everything...but it's definitely not everything. ..

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

so you're after money

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Eh, some expensive things are just nice for their own value, not just for their prestige. A vacation in a wonderfully placed hotel in a small village, a house in a nice landscape...typically kind of expensive.
    I agree. I was talking more about that the more prestigious careers (doctor, lawyer, investment banker) give you a higher salary in exchange for longer working hours. So you get more privilege in exchange for higher obligation, which is why I think most people should strike the balance between the two that works for them. Of course, there comes a point when you're so rich that you no longer have any obligation.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Money is a metric, nothing more. I think you mean wealth.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try living without money for a while, and you'll be surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agarina View Post
    Try living without money for a while, and you'll be surprised.
    if you're not responsible for anybody elses well being and you don't mind leeching off people and you know that if the going really gets tough you can call your parents.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    if you're not responsible for anybody elses well being and you don't mind leeching off people and you know that if the going really gets tough you can call your parents.
    Yeah I can imagine it'd be different for someone who has kids or other people to look after, but I disagree about the having parents as a backup-thing. Having my parents kick me out without anything but the clothes that I was wearing was, in a way, one of the best things that ever happened to me. I learned to take advantage of opportunities, to trust that generally speaking people are very kind and helpful and that things really do have a way of figuring themselves out. I learned to adapt and not be so afraid of all what might happen to me. In the end what you really need the most is food and a relatively safe, preferably dry place to sleep. And you don't really need money to find those, at least not in Europe. To get a first-hand experience of that was supremely liberating to me.

EDT:// Living without money doesn't have to mean leeching off others, either. Dumpster-diving, fishing, growing food and picking berries/mushrooms are good options. You can also collect bottles or do street performances and get a little money from those, too. Sleeping in a tent or on rooftops/parks/abandoned houses is free and doesn't harm anyone. It's also relatively easy to find (a) job(s) and a home if you lower your standards.
    Last edited by willekeurig; 07-08-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

it's great that you guys found being broke to be a liberating and wonderful experience but a lot of people don't.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

lol, william at the welfare office handing out self help books and lollipops.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i do get what you guys are saying about it being liberating to see how little you really need and i don't mean to be a dismissive jerk about your experiences. i just think that well meaning anti materialism can be taken too far. and my experience with first world poverty was mostly as a kid so i have a different vantage point.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that what's on the way of people's happiness is usually not much else but themselves. They refuse to be happy by refusing to let go of things they really don't need but have developed an addiction for. It could be money or a person or a hobby or an object or anything really, the result is the same. People believe it's impossible to feel fully content with life without their object of desire, while this is not true at all. This attitude is actually a big source for suffering. The thing is, we don't get to choose or control our outer environment very much or very effectively, but we can choose how to react to it.

By Finnish standards I'm the poorest of the poor (I life off of the 170e student allowance that I get for 9/12 months of the year), and have no home, but there are millions of people in the world by whose standards I'd be dirty rich. It's all a matter of perspective.
    Last edited by willekeurig; 07-10-2013 at 08:48 AM.
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    i do get what you guys are saying about it being liberating to see how little you really need and i don't mean to be a dismissive jerk about your experiences. i just think that well meaning anti materialism can be taken too far. and my experience with first world poverty was mostly as a kid so i have a different vantage point.
    Yeah, I'm not saying money can't be useful or that life without it couldn't be stressful (especially in the long run or with kids or younameit). But it surely isn't "everything", like the OP suggests, unless you let it become that.
    Johari Nohari

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You don't own your body and when you don't have money, you don't have money and not the other way around. You treat money as if it was air you breathe and food you eat. Problem is money doesn't hang from a tree nor swirls around you.

Looks like you pay to exist and exist to pay.

Anyhow, money is fine when I have it, I can spend it. So much for its usefulness knowing it doesn't perform any function at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Agarina View Post
    But it surely isn't "everything", like the OP suggests, unless you let it become that.
    Yeah, that's easy and OP is the example.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Money is 3 things primarily: Security, Power, and a Way to deal with people.

So without money you are insecure, powerless and you have no real good way to deal with people besides invoking their empathy. I wouldn't call it *everything* but it is important.

I still hate it though. Don't get me wrong. I strive for an ideal world like on Star Trek where poverty and war is stamped out. Trade and some conflict still exists, but money doesn't exist anymore. Socialist utopia.

The only downside of having lots of money is people feeling less and less sorry for you because they obviously know your advantages. It's natural. And a sacrifice you give up by having lots of cash. There's no such thing as having your cake and eating it too. Money is an exchange. You can't say "I can be both a good person and a rich person" like Oprah does and get away with it (at least not as much as a Starving Orphan(tm), because we see that the emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

This universe for better or worse doesn't know how to deal with anything other than a trade-off/sacrifice. The ultimate balancing of the scales. Once everybody learns that their life will be more complete.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truck View Post
    Money is 3 things primarily: Security, Power, and a Way to deal with people.

So without money you are insecure, powerless and you have no real good way to deal with people besides invoking their empathy.
    Patently false. Money is not security at all. Money merely gives the insecure something to hold onto. Nor are you powerless without it. And dealing with other people? Not sure how that could even apply, unless you think that you buy friendship, respect, etc. You don't. Money only buys false friends and sycophants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast