Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Audience Responds to Rape Joke at E3's XBox One Event

  1. #1
    NSFW RedBeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Desert
    TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Audience Responds to Rape Joke at E3's XBox One Event

    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-...box-one-event/



    On Twitter, the audience reacted right away."Wow. This is really gross. Male overpowering a female in a game, so of course, rape joke. Good one, Msoft,"

    Do you think rape jokes are okay?
    The trickster is at one and the same time creator and destroyer, giver and negator, he who dupes others, and who is always duped himself.

  2. #2
    So fluffeh. Cuddly McFluffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've laughed at a few rape jokes, but I usually find them offensive and not okay.
    Johari/Nohari

    "Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

    Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

  3. #3
    lump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Posts
    12,628
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    sometimes they bother me and sometimes they don't.
    i can't even begin to try to quantify why.
    /helpful response

  4. #4
    So fluffeh. Cuddly McFluffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    sometimes they bother me and sometimes they don't.
    i can't even begin to try to quantify why.
    /helpful response
    Fiiii-lings?
    Johari/Nohari

    "Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

    Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

  5. #5
    Tyrant with a side of bacon
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I watched the clip over and over again and just can not understand how people would perceive this as having any rape connotation.

    "Just let it happen. It will be over soon." is typical game smack for when someone is getting frustrated from losing. It's telling the person they might as well just give-up because they are sucking. It is NOT a rape joke.

    And the line about the fight stick. There was a long pause and the guy asked if she liked them, and she said No (which is likely why she's using a gamepad).

    If anything, I think this video and the response is typical of feminazi rhetoric trying it's very hardest to find it's way into mainstream by defining anything a man says somehow to mythical rape culture. This video is proof of this phenomenon.

  6. #6
    lump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Posts
    12,628
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    i can't watch the video right now but rape culture isn't mythical. steubenville was just a few months ago.

  7. #7
    Tyrant with a side of bacon
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    steubenville was just a few months ago.
    So if you play a video of 3 male dolphins raping a female dolphin from just a few months ago, you can apply your model to correlate that there is an aquatic rape culture as well?

    I guess we exist in a shoplifting culture, murder culture and ice-cream culture too... so anything that happens is suddenly a culture...

    I say when she asked about the fight stick, it was clearly an ice-cream culture reference... CLEARLY.

  8. #8
    So fluffeh. Cuddly McFluffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Agreed, rape culture is not a myth. I think many people are hypersensitive and too broad in their application of the term, but that does not negate its existence as a whole.
    Johari/Nohari

    "Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

    Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

  9. #9
    Tyrant with a side of bacon
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yah, I guess you two are right. It's not a myth, it's just a fictional thing that some people require so thus they take any commentary they may see and try to misapply it to fit the ideology.

    In this case, if any man says anything derogatory or taunting to a woman, it's a rape connotation. But if the man says the same things to another man, it's obviously not.

    So the "equality" way of things is men just aren't allowed to taunt females while playing video games, but the reverse is not true. Good to see how "equality" works for some people. :-)

  10. #10
    lump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Posts
    12,628
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Finale View Post
    So if you play a video of 3 male dolphins raping a female dolphin from just a few months ago, you can apply your model to correlate that there is an aquatic rape culture as well?

    I guess we exist in a shoplifting culture, murder culture and ice-cream culture too... so anything that happens is suddenly a culture...

    I say when she asked about the fight stick, it was clearly an ice-cream culture reference... CLEARLY.
    i was offering an example of something that actually is representative of rape culture in contrast to that video which (if i can take your word for it) isn't.

  11. #11
    lump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Posts
    12,628
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Finale View Post
    Yah, I guess you two are right. It's not a myth, it's just a fictional thing that some people require so thus they take any commentary they may see and try to misapply it to fit the ideology.

    In this case, if any man says anything derogatory or taunting to a woman, it's a rape connotation. But if the man says the same things to another man, it's obviously not.

    So the "equality" way of things is men just aren't allowed to taunt females while playing video games, but the reverse is not true. Good to see how "equality" works for some people. :-)
    if you have to create a strawman then you must not be really confident in your position.

  12. #12
    ■■■■■■ Radio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,574
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    meh whatever

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Posts
    2,489
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I got ass raped on FIFA online last night

  14. #14
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Finale
    I watched the clip over and over again and just can not understand how people would perceive this as having any rape connotation.

    "Just let it happen. It will be over soon."
    lol, i stopped watching somewhere just after the fight out of impatience that the joke didn't come but apparently i had already passed it and not noticed what should incite such outrage.

    other thoughts:

    boring.

  15. #15
    Tyrant with a side of bacon
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    if you have to create a strawman then you must not be really confident in your position.
    The citing of a singular event as evidence of a "culture" is strawman in itself. I'm citing an equally superfluous association.

    There have been dozens of fighting game presentations with smack talking on-stage in the history of E3, but most do not have a woman playing and I can kinda understand why now.

    What will ultimately happen from this is it will be discouraged to use women on-stage at E3 since anything said in their presence may be misinterpreted as being an "insert xyz here" culture reference.

  16. #16
    NSFW RedBeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Desert
    TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The trickster is at one and the same time creator and destroyer, giver and negator, he who dupes others, and who is always duped himself.

  17. #17
    lump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Posts
    12,628
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    how do you provide evidence for a culture? what i mean by "culture" is a popular cultural attitude. i like to think the fact that steubenville even got called out means that a permissive attitude toward rape isn't the prevailing culture, but whether or not the rapists or the girl deserved more sympathy was still hotly debated. and the fact that it was a national debate means that it was a finger on the pulse of the popular culture - so, yes, evidence.

    there are obviously other instances and facts that could be cited but you're so quick to make a lulzy dismissive "hurr u hate men" stance toward it, it seems pretty pointless to debate it with you.

  18. #18
    Tyrant with a side of bacon
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Posts
    2,489
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    lungs loves men

  20. #20
    Tyrant with a side of bacon
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    there are obviously other instances and facts that could be cited but you're so quick to make a lulzy dismissive "hurr u hate men" stance toward it, it seems pretty pointless to debate it with you.
    Oh no, I do not mean in any way a "you hate men" stance. I'm simply stating I see no objective truth in the scenario. Opposing a scenario does not instantly mean I support the opposite.

    Well, let me ask you two questions then (preferably after you have watched the video):

    1. Do you agree with one/both of the assertions as having to do with rape (first comment) and phallus reference (second comment)?

    2. To what subjective extent do you consider an event or events to be indicative of a "culture" in our society?

  21. #21
    lump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Posts
    12,628
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    lungs loves men
    lol i really do

    FOR THEIR DICKS AND THEIR POCKETBOOKS HAHA J/K

  22. #22
    lump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Posts
    12,628
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    i just got bitched at by a stranger because i was distracted on my phone and didn't acknowledge him when he walked by and said "hey baby" lol

    finale maybe ill respond after i can watch the video. from the sound of these posts it seems pretty harmless.

  23. #23
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,704
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    That joke was way too subtle to be a rape joke imo.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  24. #24
    So fluffeh. Cuddly McFluffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    there are obviously other instances and facts that could be cited but you're so quick to make a lulzy dismissive "hurr u hate men" stance toward it, it seems pretty pointless to debate it with you.
    Try this? Possibly less "rape culture" and more "leaking misogyny", though that probably depends on who you ask. I know rape fantasy is a thing for some people, but fucking hell, man... >.<
    Johari/Nohari

    "Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

    Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

  25. #25
    InvisibleJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Si vis pacem
    TIM
    para bellum
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't get it. There was nothing rapey at all about the video.

  26. #26
    Olly From Wally World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Wally World
    Posts
    822
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    This issue is what prompted me into finally making an account (although I was going to do so eventually). Just felt like expressing my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Finale View Post
    I watched the clip over and over again and just can not understand how people would perceive this as having any rape connotation.

    "Just let it happen. It will be over soon." is typical game smack for when someone is getting frustrated from losing. It's telling the person they might as well just give-up because they are sucking. It is NOT a rape joke.

    And the line about the fight stick. There was a long pause and the guy asked if she liked them, and she said No (which is likely why she's using a gamepad).
    This.
    I also felt as if I missed the whole thing and was constantly anticipating the rape remark and felt as if it never came.

    I can see how, "Just let it happen. It will be over soon." can seem like a rape joke, especially in this context, but that's just seems like competitive banter that you say to anyone when you're whooping their ass bad enough. I've said it to guys in a joking way. It means, you might as well give up. Drop the controller. You'd probably have a better chance that way (Actually, some games automatically block when you're not moving so that's kind of true).
    @Finale The line about the fight stick wasn't, IMO, what the girl was responding to when she said she didn't like it. If you pay attention to the game, you see that he was hitting her with the same attacks which she wasn't blocking before so he says, "Oh, you like those" to which she responds "No, I don't like this." She's just getting whooped. If it were a dude, I don't know if it would be a problem.

    I can see how people are taking it for rape jokes and can see how this can seem bad in their eyes but I think this was taken way out of proportion.

    If anything, they should have gotten someone better at the game to play him so this could be avoided. Xbox One is already being destroyed by PS4 as it is but now this will likely give them less customers, particularly women.

    I do think rape culture does exist but this, for a lack of a better word, just seems like oversensitivity to me but what do I know.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •