TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Audience Responds to Rape Joke at E3's XBox One Event

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-...box-one-event/

On Twitter, the audience reacted right away."Wow. This is really gross. Male overpowering a female in a game, so of course, rape joke. Good one, Msoft,"

Do you think rape jokes are okay?
    The trickster is at one and the same time creator and destroyer, giver and negator, he who dupes others, and who is always duped himself.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've laughed at a few rape jokes, but I usually find them offensive and not okay.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

sometimes they bother me and sometimes they don't.
    i can't even begin to try to quantify why.
    /helpful response

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    sometimes they bother me and sometimes they don't.
    i can't even begin to try to quantify why.
    /helpful response
    Fiiii-lings?
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Tyrant with a side of bacon
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched the clip over and over again and just can not understand how people would perceive this as having any rape connotation.

"Just let it happen. It will be over soon." is typical game smack for when someone is getting frustrated from losing. It's telling the person they might as well just give-up because they are sucking. It is NOT a rape joke.

And the line about the fight stick. There was a long pause and the guy asked if she liked them, and she said No (which is likely why she's using a gamepad).

If anything, I think this video and the response is typical of feminazi rhetoric trying it's very hardest to find it's way into mainstream by defining anything a man says somehow to mythical rape culture. This video is proof of this phenomenon.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i can't watch the video right now but rape culture isn't mythical. steubenville was just a few months ago.

TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

steubenville was just a few months ago.
    So if you play a video of 3 male dolphins raping a female dolphin from just a few months ago, you can apply your model to correlate that there is an aquatic rape culture as well?

I guess we exist in a shoplifting culture, murder culture and ice-cream culture too... so anything that happens is suddenly a culture...

I say when she asked about the fight stick, it was clearly an ice-cream culture reference... CLEARLY.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, rape culture is not a myth. I think many people are hypersensitive and too broad in their application of the term, but that does not negate its existence as a whole.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yah, I guess you two are right. It's not a myth, it's just a fictional thing that some people require so thus they take any commentary they may see and try to misapply it to fit the ideology.

In this case, if any man says anything derogatory or taunting to a woman, it's a rape connotation. But if the man says the same things to another man, it's obviously not.

So the "equality" way of things is men just aren't allowed to taunt females while playing video games, but the reverse is not true. Good to see how "equality" works for some people. :-)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Finale View Post
    So if you play a video of 3 male dolphins raping a female dolphin from just a few months ago, you can apply your model to correlate that there is an aquatic rape culture as well?

I guess we exist in a shoplifting culture, murder culture and ice-cream culture too... so anything that happens is suddenly a culture...

I say when she asked about the fight stick, it was clearly an ice-cream culture reference... CLEARLY.
    i was offering an example of something that actually is representative of rape culture in contrast to that video which (if i can take your word for it) isn't.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Yah, I guess you two are right. It's not a myth, it's just a fictional thing that some people require so thus they take any commentary they may see and try to misapply it to fit the ideology.

In this case, if any man says anything derogatory or taunting to a woman, it's a rape connotation. But if the man says the same things to another man, it's obviously not.

So the "equality" way of things is men just aren't allowed to taunt females while playing video games, but the reverse is not true. Good to see how "equality" works for some people. :-)
    if you have to create a strawman then you must not be really confident in your position.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

meh whatever

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I got ass raped on FIFA online last night

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Finale
    I watched the clip over and over again and just can not understand how people would perceive this as having any rape connotation.

"Just let it happen. It will be over soon."
    lol, i stopped watching somewhere just after the fight out of impatience that the joke didn't come but apparently i had already passed it and not noticed what should incite such outrage.

other thoughts:

boring.

TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you have to create a strawman then you must not be really confident in your position.
    The citing of a singular event as evidence of a "culture" is strawman in itself. I'm citing an equally superfluous association.

There have been dozens of fighting game presentations with smack talking on-stage in the history of E3, but most do not have a woman playing and I can kinda understand why now.

What will ultimately happen from this is it will be discouraged to use women on-stage at E3 since anything said in their presence may be misinterpreted as being an "insert xyz here" culture reference.

TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trickster is at one and the same time creator and destroyer, giver and negator, he who dupes others, and who is always duped himself.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

how do you provide evidence for a culture? what i mean by "culture" is a popular cultural attitude. i like to think the fact that steubenville even got called out means that a permissive attitude toward rape isn't the prevailing culture, but whether or not the rapists or the girl deserved more sympathy was still hotly debated. and the fact that it was a national debate means that it was a finger on the pulse of the popular culture - so, yes, evidence.

there are obviously other instances and facts that could be cited but you're so quick to make a lulzy dismissive "hurr u hate men" stance toward it, it seems pretty pointless to debate it with you.

TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

lungs loves men

TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are obviously other instances and facts that could be cited but you're so quick to make a lulzy dismissive "hurr u hate men" stance toward it, it seems pretty pointless to debate it with you.
    Oh no, I do not mean in any way a "you hate men" stance. I'm simply stating I see no objective truth in the scenario. Opposing a scenario does not instantly mean I support the opposite.

Well, let me ask you two questions then (preferably after you have watched the video):

1. Do you agree with one/both of the assertions as having to do with rape (first comment) and phallus reference (second comment)?

2. To what subjective extent do you consider an event or events to be indicative of a "culture" in our society?

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    lungs loves men
    lol i really do

FOR THEIR DICKS AND THEIR POCKETBOOKS HAHA J/K

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i just got bitched at by a stranger because i was distracted on my phone and didn't acknowledge him when he walked by and said "hey baby" lol

finale maybe ill respond after i can watch the video. from the sound of these posts it seems pretty harmless.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

That joke was way too subtle to be a rape joke imo.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try this? Possibly less "rape culture" and more "leaking misogyny", though that probably depends on who you ask. I know rape fantasy is a thing for some people, but fucking hell, man... >.<
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get it. There was nothing rapey at all about the video.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This issue is what prompted me into finally making an account (although I was going to do so eventually). Just felt like expressing my opinion.

"Just let it happen. It will be over soon." is typical game smack for when someone is getting frustrated from losing. It's telling the person they might as well just give-up because they are sucking. It is NOT a rape joke.

And the line about the fight stick. There was a long pause and the guy asked if she liked them, and she said No (which is likely why she's using a gamepad).
    This.
    I also felt as if I missed the whole thing and was constantly anticipating the rape remark and felt as if it never came.

I can see how, "Just let it happen. It will be over soon." can seem like a rape joke, especially in this context, but that's just seems like competitive banter that you say to anyone when you're whooping their ass bad enough. I've said it to guys in a joking way. It means, you might as well give up. Drop the controller. You'd probably have a better chance that way (Actually, some games automatically block when you're not moving so that's kind of true).
    @Finale The line about the fight stick wasn't, IMO, what the girl was responding to when she said she didn't like it. If you pay attention to the game, you see that he was hitting her with the same attacks which she wasn't blocking before so he says, "Oh, you like those" to which she responds "No, I don't like this." She's just getting whooped. If it were a dude, I don't know if it would be a problem.

I can see how people are taking it for rape jokes and can see how this can seem bad in their eyes but I think this was taken way out of proportion.

If anything, they should have gotten someone better at the game to play him so this could be avoided. Xbox One is already being destroyed by PS4 as it is but now this will likely give them less customers, particularly women.

I do think rape culture does exist but this, for a lack of a better word, just seems like oversensitivity to me but what do I know.