Results 1 to 32 of 32

Thread: ISTp depreciation thread

  1. #1
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default ISTp depreciation thread

    Begin.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  2. #2
    dugga dugga dun Narc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    TIM
    Ni-ENTj 8w9 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,288
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    They lower in value as soon as you buy them.

  3. #3
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    I appreciate SLI

    Ok maybe one or two:

    He was relaxed and we used to lay around on the weekends drinking soda and watching sports nearly all day long. We were fairly immobile on the weekends but we did spend a lot of time with family and friends, just the time we did spend was usually at someone's home lounging around.

    He never helped me figure out what I should do; he told me that we would get married and when we did he would work and I'd just be a stay at home mom; I didn't buy into this deal as I needed to do my thing (I'm a bit independent).

    My ex used to change the oil in my classic Honda on time without so much as a fuss or complain that he was doing this for me.

    He would go fill up the gas tank and make sure I never ran out of gas.

    He would pick me up every weekend, a very long drive.

    He always made sure I ate three square meals...and he purchase all the meals. I made good money back then and he always told me to either help my family with it or to save it.

    He was fun, coy, and charming around my sister and brother. They loved him. Took us camping hiking on the weekends.

    Just so many great things.

  4. #4
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Stop hitting on me, Maritsa. Not interested.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, Ca.
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Posts
    693
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Get on my nerves, honestly. Hypocrites. Delusional. Simple. Self-righteous. Think they know it all. Worse with people than I am, yet think they are better. Selfish. Stingy.
    Last edited by jet city woman; 06-05-2013 at 01:47 PM.

  6. #6
    dugga dugga dun Narc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    TIM
    Ni-ENTj 8w9 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,288
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    It's tough to get any sort of emotional connection from them. And they aren't very talkative, so you have to be really patient and warm the conversation up as best as you can if you want them to speak how they really feel. And you have to wait until the right time to do it - if an ISTp is busy working on something, you can forget any sort of chit-chat or small-talk.

    I had dated an ISTp in college, but she didn't give me that connection I was looking for. We agreed on many things and had strong perspectives that were similar, and we never had any huge arguments - but the relationship wasn't particularly fulfilling, either. Overall it felt sort of bland & boring. Perhaps both of us were relying on the other to create a more emotional bond. I think she was more upset when we had broken up - perhaps the introverted partners feels less likely to find someone new. But I think it was better for both of us.
    This sounds a lot like a relationship I had with an INTp.

  7. #7
    Moderated users superunknown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    2 srs, depreciating sense of humor

  8. #8
    lump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Posts
    12,612
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    hard to get them to do anything because they take pride in being independent to a degree that is selfish and counterproductive.

    self-righteous and use their practically useful and "caregiving" behaviors to prop themselves up and gain leverage in relationships.

  9. #9
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Stop hitting on me, Maritsa. Not interested.
    LOL

    I'M INTERESTED IN SOMEONE (I'LL JUST NAME HIM UM SEXINESS) NOW AND THAT'S NOT YOU
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 06-05-2013 at 05:00 PM.

  10. #10
    NSFW RedBeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Desert
    TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I knew one who made strange, infectious noises to amuse himself during lectures.

    Fuck him for making me chime in.
    The trickster is at one and the same time creator and destroyer, giver and negator, he who dupes others, and who is always duped himself.

  11. #11
    Marshmallow Foru-m chriscorey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    At the
    TIM
    Puca
    Posts
    1,458
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    This sounds a lot like a relationship I had with an INTp.
    Then you are extremely bad at 'typing' people or the INTp never felt a real connection with you. Also, in my experience INTps are good conversationalists; perhaps you're boring?
    Amber casts infinity of shadows, and my Avalon had cast many of its own, because of my presence there. I might be known on many earths that I had never trod, for shadows of myself had walked them, mimicking imperfectly my deeds and my thoughts.

  12. #12
    InvisibleJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Si vis pacem
    TIM
    para bellum
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscorey View Post
    Then you are extremely bad at 'typing' people or the INTp never felt a real connection with you. Also, in my experience INTps are good conversationalists; perhaps you're boring?
    'Good' conversation to INFp mostly involves tree-hugging socialite consensus, telling them how attractive they are and other such social dribbling. An educated INTp should avoid these social science con artists based on experience.

  13. #13
    Marshmallow Foru-m chriscorey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    At the
    TIM
    Puca
    Posts
    1,458
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    'Good' conversation to INFp mostly involves tree-hugging socialite consensus, telling them how attractive they are and other such social dribbling. An educated INTp should avoid these social science con artists based on experience.
    I have 0 experience with them that I know of. Thanks for the tip.
    Amber casts infinity of shadows, and my Avalon had cast many of its own, because of my presence there. I might be known on many earths that I had never trod, for shadows of myself had walked them, mimicking imperfectly my deeds and my thoughts.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    TIM
    9w1
    Posts
    2,775
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    could kurt vonnegut be a SLI? Ashez has him down as INFp on socionix but the voices say he's wong.ili maybe.

    Kurt Vonnegut’s 8 basics of Creative Writing:

    Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.
    Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.
    Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.
    Every sentence must do one of two things—reveal character or advance the action.
    Start as close to the end as possible.
    Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them—in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
    Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.
    Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To heck with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.
    unholy water sanguine addiction

  15. #15
    NSFW RedBeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Desert
    TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    'Good' conversation to INFp mostly involves tree-hugging socialite consensus, telling them how attractive they are and other such social dribbling. An educated INTp should avoid these social science con artists based on experience.
    A tree will never betray you. Show one a little respect some time!
    The trickster is at one and the same time creator and destroyer, giver and negator, he who dupes others, and who is always duped himself.

  16. #16
    InvisibleJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Si vis pacem
    TIM
    para bellum
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
    A tree will never betray you. Show one a little respect some time!
    A chicken or a cow would eat me given half the chance. I very much suspect the same can be said for a tree.

  17. #17
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jet city woman View Post
    Get on my nerves, honestly. Hypocrites. Delusional. Simple. Self-righteous. Think they know it all. Worse with people than I am, yet think they are better. Selfish. Stingy.
    Don't make @fen hurt you.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  18. #18
    dugga dugga dun Narc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    TIM
    Ni-ENTj 8w9 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,288
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscorey View Post
    Then you are extremely bad at 'typing' people or the INTp never felt a real connection with you. Also, in my experience INTps are good conversationalists; perhaps you're boring?
    You are not an INTp. Try something with Fe-ego.

  19. #19
    Marshmallow Foru-m chriscorey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    At the
    TIM
    Puca
    Posts
    1,458
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    You are not an INTp. Try something with Fe-ego.

    Amber casts infinity of shadows, and my Avalon had cast many of its own, because of my presence there. I might be known on many earths that I had never trod, for shadows of myself had walked them, mimicking imperfectly my deeds and my thoughts.

  20. #20
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    It's tough to get any sort of emotional connection from them. And they aren't very talkative, so you have to be really patient and warm the conversation up as best as you can if you want them to speak how they really feel. And you have to wait until the right time to do it - if an ISTp is busy working on something, you can forget any sort of chit-chat or small-talk.

    I had dated an ISTp in college, but she didn't give me that connection I was looking for. We agreed on many things and had strong perspectives that were similar, and we never had any huge arguments - but the relationship wasn't particularly fulfilling, either. Overall it felt sort of bland & boring. Perhaps both of us were relying on the other to create a more emotional bond. I think she was more upset when we had broken up - perhaps the introverted partners feels less likely to find someone new. But I think it was better for both of us.
    i can relate to this. Basically, if you have two ppl that are not skilled at creating emotional connections, the relationship will not go anywhere. You remain in this frustrating limbo where you're attracted to them but you're just waiting and waiting for them to connect to you. To tell you how they feel, to hug you to make you feel warm because you can't do it yourself. Well, you could.. But it's unnatural and uncomfortable so you drift around just waiting...WAITING FOR ANYTHING and it never comes until they break up with you and then you realize everything that you did wrong and berate yourself for not being more emotional and loving and cry about someone you never even had a connection with but the fact that the HOPE of it turning into a good relationship is now completely gone so you drink wine and cry like a bitch over someone you weren't really close to but the death of that hope hurt more than anything.


    This happens to me everytime.

  21. #21
    Éminence grise mikemex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Third Planet
    TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    i can relate to this. Basically, if you have two ppl that are not skilled at creating emotional connections, the relationship will not go anywhere. You remain in this frustrating limbo where you're attracted to them but you're just waiting and waiting for them to connect to you. To tell you how they feel, to hug you to make you feel warm because you can't do it yourself. Well, you could.. But it's unnatural and uncomfortable so you drift around just waiting...WAITING FOR ANYTHING and it never comes until they break up with you and then you realize everything that you did wrong and berate yourself for not being more emotional and loving and cry about someone you never even had a connection with but the fact that the HOPE of it turning into a good relationship is now completely gone so you drink wine and cry like a bitch over someone you weren't really close to but the death of that hope hurt more than anything.

    This happens to me everytime.
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    This is written beautifully. I've felt the same way.
    Aha! So you aren't really that cold underneath... you Delta STs just fake it to gain leverage in relationships. And I thought that you were decent people...
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

    You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

  22. #22
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    Aha! So you aren't really that cold underneath... you Delta STs just fake it to gain leverage in relationships. And I thought that you were decent people...
    Mike, who is the young lady in your avatar?

  23. #23
    Éminence grise mikemex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Third Planet
    TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Mike, who is the young lady in your avatar?
    My sweetheart. An ILI. She lives in Russia.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

    You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

  24. #24
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    My sweetheart. An ILI. She lives in Russia.
    Aw, she's pretty.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    You can go for a drink with them and don't have to worry about them leaving, so much for depreciation. Oh and they can feed you till you explode...

    Ahem.

    Something worth investing in mikemex.

  26. #26
    both sides, now wacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    TIM
    9w8
    Posts
    3,282
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    i can relate to this. Basically, if you have two ppl that are not skilled at creating emotional connections, the relationship will not go anywhere. You remain in this frustrating limbo where you're attracted to them but you're just waiting and waiting for them to connect to you. To tell you how they feel, to hug you to make you feel warm because you can't do it yourself. Well, you could.. But it's unnatural and uncomfortable so you drift around just waiting...WAITING FOR ANYTHING and it never comes until they break up with you and then you realize everything that you did wrong and berate yourself for not being more emotional and loving and cry about someone you never even had a connection with but the fact that the HOPE of it turning into a good relationship is now completely gone so you drink wine and cry like a bitch over someone you weren't really close to but the death of that hope hurt more than anything.


    This happens to me everytime.
    I sort of have the opposite problem, where there is to much giving and its such a nice change to find people like you ISTp's who keep it all inside to yourself because its a relief to those who are this way..
    "If this to end in fire, then we should all burn together. Watch the flames climb higher into the night."

  27. #27
    Tyrant with a side of bacon
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    i can relate to this. Basically, if you have two ppl that are not skilled at creating emotional connections, the relationship will not go anywhere. You remain in this frustrating limbo where you're attracted to them but you're just waiting and waiting for them to connect to you. To tell you how they feel, to hug you to make you feel warm because you can't do it yourself. Well, you could.. But it's unnatural and uncomfortable so you drift around just waiting...WAITING FOR ANYTHING and it never comes until they break up with you and then you realize everything that you did wrong and berate yourself for not being more emotional and loving and cry about someone you never even had a connection with but the fact that the HOPE of it turning into a good relationship is now completely gone so you drink wine and cry like a bitch over someone you weren't really close to but the death of that hope hurt more than anything.
    LOL.. The ISTp I work with is on this third marriage. Both of his prior ex wives said he felt "cold" or lacked emotional intimacy. His current wife says the same things- he seems cold, distant or impersonal... which is funny because he loves his wife very much, but he's so traditional and rigid, and serious about the "family" dynamic as well as wants his wife to start things.... like he feels "imposing" or unwelcome without some sort of invitation first.

    I constantly tell him thoughtful and expressive things he should do for his wife that seem so obvious but completely fly over his head otherwise. They've all been met with much better marriage counseling sessions for a month or two.. lol. (His current wife is an ISFp so you can imagine they have a very... turbulent marriage!)

    Honestly, the very nature is expected with an Si-ego personality. The problem is very few then later appreciate the loyalty, attention to detail, rigid fairness, and predictable accountability that also comes with Si ego. I don't see ISTp' volunteering any feelings, but if cornered with query, they will absolutely let it flow naturally when interrogated. I guess maybe that would be a good match for an ISTp - someone who can feel emotionally balanced if they don't mind having to approach and query for that need... at which point they will likely get a healthy, if not overabundant dose.

  28. #28
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Finale View Post
    LOL.. The ISTp I work with is on this third marriage. Both of his prior ex wives said he felt "cold" or lacked emotional intimacy. His current wife says the same things- he seems cold, distant or impersonal... which is funny because he loves his wife very much, but he's so traditional and rigid, and serious about the "family" dynamic as well as wants his wife to start things.... like he feels "imposing" or unwelcome without some sort of invitation first.
    I get told this constantly. Not only by romantic partners, but friends as well and each time they bring it up, I have told them I feel like i'm imposing on them if i initiate first. lol. Like, i'm noticing it's really starting to bother a friend of mine that I don't invite him to do mundane everyday things with me. I told him I went shopping the other day all day and he looked like his puppy had just died or something. But it's funny because I just don't think about inviting people or initiating and it's not because I don't care, I just don't think about it...if they're not calling me, I feel like they don't want to be bothered so I just do my own thing. But yes, I'm realizing the error of my ways and so I've been making an effort to initiate. I hate it so much. Finale I feel like we should be duals.

  29. #29
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,700
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I find with SLIs that you have to constantly invite them to do something or they won't bring it up themselves that they're interested. Though once they finally agree to do it then it appears as if they always wanted to do it to begin with, so I'm not surprised with the responses here.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  30. #30
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    I find with SLIs that you have to constantly invite them to do something or they won't bring it up themselves that they're interested. Though once they finally agree to do it then it appears as if they always wanted to do it to begin with, so I'm not surprised with the responses here.
    I'm genuinely curious because im working on being more um.. Thoughtful to other people's feelings...does this bother you? Because if it were me and someone did what I do to them, I wouldn't give them the time of day. Why are some people ok with this? Doesn't there come a point where it feels too one sided? What do you get out of ppl behaving so aloof?

  31. #31
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,700
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I'm genuinely curious because im working on being more um.. Thoughtful to other people's feelings...does this bother you? Because if it were me and someone did what I do to them, I wouldn't give them the time of day. Why are some people ok with this? Doesn't there come a point where it feels too one sided? What do you get out of ppl behaving so aloof?
    It doesn't bother me much personally because it makes the person seem more mysterious and more interesting to figure out. Also, I can kind of see through the aloofness their true intentions to an extent. Of course, if it goes beyond a certain limit then I would not tolerate it and be abruptly annoyed, but most of the time it is fine.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ..ops
    Last edited by noid; 06-17-2013 at 02:28 AM.
    "The final delusion is the belief that one has lost all delusion."

    -- Maurice Chapelain

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •