Thread: Which types/IEs are good at improvising devices and fixing things?

TIM
    Ni-ENTj 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Which types/IEs are good at improvising devices and fixing things?

Fixable things in this instance could include items that are mechanised such as stamps, pipes, crooked furniture, flashlights, circuitry and even cars.

Improvised devices being things like makeshift items being put together with a series of nearby found objects due to an current lack of proper peripherals like door handles, things to hold doors open, microphone stands made from masking taping things together like tables and crates, think McGyver style combinations.

I know a guy that can do this kind of thing without a second thought and it just leaves everyone else nearby a bit gobsmacked. He was with me last week at a campus music night and he just sort of calmly solved all these logistical problems and fuckups that everyone else was just scratching their heads at. I'm decent at this kind of thing, but not quite as fast or confident at it as this guy.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really good at that stuff. According to family lore my mother used to rely on me to set up appliances from the time I was three. I built my first computer when I was ten out of shit I found on the curb. I'm *still* fixing shit for people. Whenever I go to the States to visit my family I'm greeted by all this broken shit they want me to fix. Most recently I made a tablet stand for my boyfriend out of an old tri-pod, a nut, and a sewing machine belt.

I must therefore conclude: EII.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

not type related

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    not type related
    You're just saying that because you think you're EII and you can't fix stuff.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Different types can all be fantastic at this for different reasons.

TIM
    IEI-Ni, 4-5-9
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand how all types can be equal when it comes to this. I know they can be, but I am saying on average. I'm not saying it isn't true, I just don't understand it and am wondering if someone can explain it well.

How is just as proficient as, say, when it comes to fixing "mechanised items"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

members of the muslim brotherhood, army rangers

the real answer is xLI, maybe SLE

TIM
    IEI-Ni, 4-5-9
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rahmyn View Post
    I don't understand how all types can be equal when it comes to this. I know they can be, but I am saying on average. I'm not saying it isn't true, I just don't understand it and am wondering if someone can explain it well.

How is just as proficient as, say, when it comes to fixing "mechanised items"?
    ::chirp chirp:: ::chirp chirp::

C'mon this is a reel socionix question guyz.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm good (bordering on really good) with the improvised devices not that great with fixable things.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once my windshield wiper broke when I was driving on the freeway. It was a rainy day and I couldn't simply go without it or it would have been way too dangerous. So I stopped at a service area and strapped the broken part together with a small leather band (similar to the band of a wristwatch) which kept the address tag of a bag in place before. Later I couldn't find a fitting wiper in my local hardware store. I simply bought the largest one (my car has only one instead of two wipers) and combined it with a part from the old wiper which was not broken. This part connected the wiper to the car.

It still works today.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There are universal wipers.

TIM
    Ni-ENTj 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I was actually lying before, I was the improvisation guy. I just didn't want Maritsa to get the opportunity to tie it to SLIs or something. My coworkers constantly put things on my desk to just fix, so I ended up with a reputation for it. I can't fix cars, though. Not to say I've tried.

My favourite contraptions have been using an ornamental birdcage sat on a table with a microphone poking through the spokes as a mic stand, and fixing masking tape to the end of a ruler to grab things from high up shelves.

I assume it's just something that comes better to logical types.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    I assume it's just something that comes better to logical types.
    Mmm I don't know about that. More likely not type related in the first place.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think of it like a career. Anyone can make a career out of mechanics the same way anyone can make a career in mathematics.

The question is less "What types would be good at 'X' action?"

And more "Why would type X take an active interest in this topic and pursue it to mastery?"

To use mathematics as my example, some possibilities include; A love for Descartes, Their mother is an active math professor and scholar, they find beauty in numbers, they like things that don't generally deal with people, they want to use numbers to help people, they want to get a lucrative career to help their family and this is what they are good at, or a great love of counting sand.
    Easy Day

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    Think of it like a career. Anyone can make a career out of mechanics the same way anyone can make a career in mathematics.
    And even a tone deaf person can learn the notes...

My favourite contraptions have been using an ornamental birdcage sat on a table with a microphone poking through the spokes as a mic stand, and fixing masking tape to the end of a ruler to grab things from high up shelves.
    Sounds like some kind NT inventor to me.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    And even a tone deaf person can learn the notes...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categoryeaf_musicians

If completely deaf individuals can find a way, I'm sure the minor handicap of being simply tone deaf is far easier to overcome.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Fixing things and improvised devices are kinda of two different sort of behavior, although one can "jury-rig" something thru improvisation.

I think improvisation is correlated with irrational function. How this improvisation is done can be different based on what flavor of irrational function.

Fixing things, depending on the goal can be related to improvisation. Fixing something to OEM spec would be a rational activity, as you would need to order the parts required or approximate part, and perform the sequence of technical activity to fix it. Fixing something with duct tape and some glue would be a improvised fix and related to irrationality.

However beyond fixing things there is improving things, which is related to both rational and irrational functions.

However because every individual has irrational functions and rational functions they can perform in these areas to some degree depending on how developed they are.

Most people like to put the NTR stamp on everything but improvisation and following spec is actually one of the most distinct areas where rational elements and irrational elements differ. Rationals will naturally focus on technique. the "right" tools, efficiency, refinement, standardization, precision and consistency among-st other values while irrationals will naturally focus on creativity, novelty, individualizing something and getting the job done.

However, as people develop their creative function, they gain a proficiency which allows them to engage in the activities in a synthetic collaborative fashion. Individuals that develop both their rational and irrational function will display proficiency in improvisation, creativity, refinement, consistency, efficiency that is desired. WIth that said, you often find rationals with poorly developed irrational functions have a terrible time improvising, and irrationals vice versa unable to attain a level of satisfactory consistency.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i bet if a random person is good at those two things it's more likely that they have Si in their ego block than any other socionics function

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fixable things in this instance could include items that are mechanised such as stamps, pipes, crooked furniture, flashlights, circuitry and even cars.

Improvised devices being things like makeshift items being put together with a series of nearby found objects due to an current lack of proper peripherals like door handles, things to hold doors open, microphone stands made from masking taping things together like tables and crates, think McGyver style combinations.

I know a guy that can do this kind of thing without a second thought and it just leaves everyone else nearby a bit gobsmacked. He was with me last week at a campus music night and he just sort of calmly solved all these logistical problems and fuckups that everyone else was just scratching their heads at. I'm decent at this kind of thing, but not quite as fast or confident at it as this guy.
    I thought you were smarter than this?

Good at problem solving and experience of musical electronics is the combination, not type related.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was actually lying before,
    Right. Not to say I've tried.

I can't fix cars, though.

Instead of fixing things, invent the next slice of bread or the next wheel.

TIM
    Ni-ENTj 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Right. Not to say I've tried.

Instead of fixing things, invent the next slice of bread or the next wheel.
    I need to identify a problem first, that tends to be the impetus of my invention. I can't spontaneously come up with something like say, the Uno motorized unicycle.

TIM
    ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty great at making improv decives... not so great at actually fixing things though (I'm probably the one who broke it in the first place and need a quick way to redeem myself...or buy me time until I can replace whatever is it I broke).

my LIE ex was brilliant at this. though he once fucked up my laptop more by trying to "fix it".... but overall in a jam, he could grab whatever and make it into something useful.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty good at improvising in that fashion. I've been known to miss the obvious solution sitting in front of me, though (as per the post in Delta Lounge).
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my EIE mom and me are both brilliant at this as long as you don't care about the looks.

I often fix tights with duct tape. I justify it by thinking I look more punk that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    If completely deaf individuals can find a way, I'm sure the minor handicap of being simply tone deaf is far easier to overcome.
    I think you're missing the point.

Some people may answer "I can read" when confronted with the question "can you read?"

But I wonder whether they know what they read.

This forum is no different and if you're looking for an example, just look what you posted.
    Last edited by Absurd; 06-06-2013 at 12:31 PM.