Thread: Interview me?

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Interview me?

I vaguely suspect I'm a Ni type, but this might be a transient fancy from listening to too many postmodernists on Resonance FM talking about their artistic alternate reality filled with things that may be trains or may be islands, all the while ignoring the fact that the things are neither: they're vinyl records. Fake derision aside, I found that particular discussion to be very interesting, especially one of the artist's comments about blurring the boundaries between the artistic world and the "real" one. The bleeding of myth and reality seems to be a prominent theme in my life lately, and it's one that's quite intoxicating. I'm sure I sound quite naive to the true sophisticates among you, though.

Speaking of art, I've been getting a lot of attention for my copper jewelry. I think of myself as a walking artwork, and a snide little jab at the world around me, at that. It tickles me to think that my absurd appearance garners next to no thought from people around me. Win-win, though, I'd love if someone actually managed to formulate something, no matter how tangential, from the weird guy who thoroughly abuses the concept of clothing. I've been thinking of ways to make the "walking artwork" idea more literal, like a vine suit, but an active implementation of that, or any of my other long-runners, is not forthcoming.

In Jungian terms, I more firmly believe I'm a Ni type. The description of a mind without a self, wandering a garden sown with the seeds of myth and story, resonates quite powerfully with me. I also find comfort in admonishments of being a most fruitless of men, a failed genius, and a wise idiot. Tell 'em, Jung, this men has no fruits to bear for our rampantly positivistic, scientific-expansionalist society!

Quadra values and relationships are also about as meaningful as a fundamental frequency of white noise. I don't really interact with people, except for dipping into my university computer club a few times a month if I have something I want to pick their brains for, like an implementation of 1000 Blank White Cards. That one got derailed by the local philosopher into a set-theory inspired game of nomic, defining the set of all games. Awesome.

That said, I had quite the crush on an ILE. She was so interesting and enthusiastic about things, with such a novel way of looking at the world. It felt like she had a rich culture as a person; a true individual. Unfortunately my reserved exterior seemingly drove her away. Something did. Of course, distance makes the heart grow fonder, and our most passionate relationships are with ideas and memories, so I doubt I truly felt that strongly about her to begin with.

It's quite possible I'm depressed, or sliding deeper into what might euphemisticaly be termed "reclusive artistry", because I'm finding I don't feel very strongly about most anything anymore, except as a function of my blood caffeine concentration. Of course, we are also bound by our language. Persona here aside, I try to think of the world in moderated language, and I believe it has evolved within me an accordingly moderated worldview.

Also, here's my blog:

http://whisperedsongsofsand.wordpress.com/

If you want to laugh at the first post, please spare my feelings and do so privately. I wanted to remember the melody, and had to take lyrics down very quickly and without much polish or thought. There's also a verse missing, so don't take it as being anything but a suggestion of a true trajectory, which it quite fairly is.

How do you feel about EIE? If you are ego you don't seem like an irrational type to me. The way you approach things, seems very structured to me.

In general you seem to have a very clear personal stance, opinion on all the things and people you laid out there. You seem to interpret people and the motivations and thoughts behind other people easily, with confidence. And you dabble, play with an abstract representation of reality, of people and their interpretations. I'd say you definitely have a Feeling IE blocked with an Intuitive IE in your ego. I'd say EIE over EII with IEI and ILI as a possibility. What do you think?

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's quite amusing that my writing makes me seem structured, since I perceive myself as being quite torpid and disorganised. I have great difficulty focusing on things, and I generally tend toward inactivity, like idly tapping out great volumes of text, reading, or watching TV or playing games. Even though I have enough of an imagination to come up with plans, I very seldom implement them.

That actually leads to another point. It's interesting that I come across as confidently and easily interpreting people's motivations and thoughts, as I don't actually feel that way. A feeling of confusion and unpredictability stands out particularly in my mind, but I suppose this usually follows a sense of certainty in evaluating why people act the way they do. I think you've made a good insight, actually. More often than not, I tend to make evaluations of people's feelings and motivations quite quickly.

Actually, I want to revisit the torpor. On the one hand, it's because I find it difficult to focus on things, or to motivate myself. On the other, especially in the social sphere, it's because I have a tendency toward analysis paralysis. I tend to want to hang back and observe, because acting would change the state of things. The idea of being a "fly on the wall", watching people in the wild, being able to study them without altering how they see me, appeals to me.

I think most of my relationships are with reflections of people within my mind, though. Amusingly, I knew another gentleman like this. We were both best friends, but with our imaginary representations of the other. Similarly, with that girl from my post, my love had a nostalgic character for who she gradually became in my imagination. Inside your mind, it's easy to dwell on the happy memories, interesting moments, and to study someone else's character. I love psychological fiction for that reason.

I considered ILI for a while, but I've since ruled it out. PoLR seems to be represented as outwardly restrained emotionality. To the contrary, I have a tendency to become quite overstimulated in large groups. I'm also quite happy joining the fun if someone is trying to elicit some kind of reaction from me. That said though, I'm not very sociable, and don't interact with people very frequently. Solitude is bliss. (Though there is an element of fear and grief to that... I haven't been coping with the losses in my life very well.) I suppose that makes IEI an adequate type in its own right, rather than merely a compromise.

As for EII, I haven't put much thought or research into it, so I can't say one way or another. I suppose my writings could be seen to suggest and an IJ temperament.

You sound like a old man with a cane telling his story and I can't tell if it's genuine of you just want to be perceived as deep, artistic, mysterious. As there is a sort of intensity, a kind of latent drama in the way you talk about things, a deliberate attempt at eliciting a specific reaction, emotional response from the reader. I'm not sure if you're an EIE (possibly IEI) performing a role or if you're a depressed EII. What's your relationship to and ?

And I know I said that it seemed to me like you create an abstract representation of reality, but ignore that for a second and tell me, in your opinion, do you have an abstract representation of reality or an abstract interpretation of reality?

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, many things could be said of me, but actively affecting the artist is not one of them. What you see is my sincere expression of how I see the world. I don't want so much to be perceived as a person as a collection of ideas, statements, and questions. I want people to see the world differently, like I do, and the little whisper of naive idealism in my mind hopes that I'm another nudge toward that new vision. Realistically, though, I think people, when they notice me at all, think "oh it's That Guy again".

I suppose that idealism disappears when I actually interact with people. I feel passive in real life, like I'm merely adapting to the cues of the world around me. It's not a bad feeling, by any stretch, but I think it speaks against an Extraverted temperament.

When you ask of my relationship to and , what do you mean by "relationship", and what do and mean to you? At most, I can offer that I feel I need to challenge myself in order to "grow". It's never enough, though. I'm always aware of who I feel is better than me, and I always feel as if I can never catch up. I feel like the more I fight, the more I fight myself, and the more I hold myself back. Consciously and actively making life harder for yourself doesn't harden you, it seems, it only holds you back while everyone else surges on ahead. I have quite a defeatist attitude, I suppose. I see myself as having an innate inability to focus or apply myself. At the moment, I'm trying for a life of minimal responsibility to see if having more freedom allows me to achieve the satisfaction in myself I normally lack, because I notice responsibility and the prospect of objective failure tends to stifle my enthusiasm and passion.

As for a representation versus an interpretation, the world I perceive through my senses is literal, if emotional, but the world I inhabit in is internal. With so little contact with the outside world, my imagination is what is relatively more real to me. It's a world of feelings, magic and enchantment, living spirits, conspiracies, and unseen futures--most of which seem like a procession of bleak outcomes.

Without knowing what you put into the terms "representation" and "interpretation", I would say "interpretation". If you took five different people, I'm sure you could find twelve different ways of seeing the world. The world I naturally live in is one where symbols are readily available to me, and feelings about. I'm aware that I'm something of a fantasist, but imagination, fiction, fantasy, and nostalgia are far more satisfying than the outside world. It's inside my imagination that the emptiness of things begins to fill, be it with wonder or sadness.

Well in that case I would say EII for you, possibly ILI. The following is my compiled interpretation of your behavior, tell me what you think.

You write in a very focused, deliberate manner which I find indicative a rational IE. Everything is structured and deliberate. Every sentence and uttered sentiment seems to be “in place”, serving it's purpose and connected to another. This is what I mean when I say you seek to evoke a deliberate response from the reader. It could be nothing more the just trying to convey a specific meaning. However I wasn't sure exactly what it entails, the scope of it, what you were tying to do with it. I now think it's was to convey a thought, idea, concept.

I've since through about it and I don't think you make an abstract representation of the world. You don't have a “vision”, I think you have an interpretation. As you yourself say, a fly on the wall view of the world.

When you express yourself you seem to express a focus on + information as your passion seems to be the how and why of individual perception. You view situations and the people in them and comprehend the situation itself and try to understand the people inside their own little bubble of personal stances and options and in the context of the situation itself. Or differently put you “size up” the people and the world around them. And I see you doing this with yourself as well.

This threw me off in the beginning a little bit because I found it very odd for a beta NF to behave this way. I figured you being an artist perhaps the atmosphere you're in is like that and you adapted. Like how a ego might seem to focus on in environments with a heavy emphasis on information like say academia. You learn to behave in a socially acceptable way. Why I said EIE over EII and EIE instead of EII over IEI. But then I wouldn't expect you to keep it up and would expect you to show a lack of preference for it. But to me you seem to prefer to sit back and interpret in a way as oppose to expressing, expecting or demanding a reaction in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by A Grain of a Song of Sand View Post
    Consciously and actively making life harder for yourself doesn't harden you, it seems, it only holds you back while everyone else surges on ahead. I have quite a defeatist attitude, I suppose.
    I like this. Personally I have a “What doesn't kill you scars you for the rest of your life” as my excuse moto for avoiding any and all discomfort in life.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

One's writing does not indicate their type; their reactions, emotional expressions to things that are of right and wrong, good or bad in judgement of what others do may be considered a form of
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lots of text. some pics please

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFx... on feeling+ limited tiny voice discussion. Can not explain this now.

Edit: Oh, interview you. Umm.... tell us what you want to be when you grow up...and why.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, @Tropski Bolest.

Wherever authors collectively make specific claims, I can eliminate types. EII and ILI are straight off the list, in the first instance, because EIIs are mostly described as being hard workers, and in the second, because ILIs are described as having constricted emotional expression. On the other hand, the IEI is described as being a very sporadic and feckless worker. This is part of what led me to the type in the first place.

On the other hand, if you are inclined to dissociate outward behaviour from type (which, and I hope this doesn't insult you, I don't see any authors actually doing), and say that a type is purely an attention toward given information elements, EII is potentially quite a good typing, unless you allow for the focus to be coming from elsewhere. IEI is also quite adequate in that my social behaviour is less about getting to know people very well, and more about mainting a friendly distance and avoiding creating enemies.

I'm also not so much an artist, or even involved with an artistic crowd. The group I hang out with are all computer science folks. I am one of the three "punks" of the group, though, who dresses with extravagant strangeness and tries to challenge the way people see the world.

@Geminatronix

I want to be in splendid isolation. I have my eye on the Azores, hopefully where America's sphere of influence isn't. I hope to be a web development contractor so I can stay in my home and not have to go outside or interact with people.

Now, what do I want to do? I want to work on artificial intelligence. A couple of years ago, someone infected me with the dream of an artificial artist that can invent worlds and games. I want such a constantly dynamic game to exist so that people can interact with it and form their own meanings from its creations. As per truck's advice, I've also started working on an RPG with a friend of mine, who I think is ILI.

In general, if you're inclined to interpret the types as having correlation with Big Five traits, I would definitely go for IEI.

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@sssonyyy you have a stronger opinion of me as LII now. Would you care to go into more detail about that?

Also bump. I've been on the forum a while now. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on my type.

It's not like I know about Socionics, but something is telling me IEI.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm interested in reading your posts about philosophy. I can relate to them with ease. However, I'll let the socionists type you, this is just me saying hello.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Also bump. I've been on the forum a while now. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on my type.
    I'm leaning towards LII 9w1 at the moment. It's a bit difficult to tell because point 9 of enneagram is often confused for Ni due to its rather labyrinthine expression style and common interests in subjects of mystical and philosophical nature, as well as its main vice of laziness and un-ambition that are often attributed to IPs, which blurs the picture of your type somewhat.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    I'm leaning towards LII 9w1 at the moment. It's a bit difficult to tell because point 9 of enneagram is often confused for Ni due to its rather labyrinthine expression style and common interests in subjects of mystical and philosophical nature, as well as its main vice of laziness and un-ambition that are often attributed to IPs, which blurs the picture of your type somewhat.
    You beat me to it on the 9! And yeah on the Alpha NT grouping, I got Ne-ILE so far; looking at both the overall vibe of the writing/posts reminds me of Chuck Klosterman and David Foster Wallace, and I got 'em both at Ne-ILE, and then there's the lyrics and all, in which a thing was referenced for its "essence" multiple times, internal statics of objects being what they will; I knows it when I sees it; saw it in Klosterman writing about Bob Rock pulling into Metallica's place driving a Lexus, as if there was something really relevant about the car being a "Lexus", and that's the instance of that kinda thing that stuck in my head the most. In a few posts back I went over likely Ti-LII The Undertaker having similar things going on with hearses and himself. There's this huge thing on aesthetics and vertical positioning on the Enneagram I got in mind I wanna get to sometime, but once again, I ain't got the words for it yet. Felt it big time in a recent jam with my bandmates. I'm going w Sand at Ne-ILE 9w1, int and disint to 3 and 6 makes loads of sense too.
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@siuntal , @woofwoofl

I have the pleasure of confidently disagreeing.
    Ne is crispy. Ni is smooth.
    A lot of words to communicate a sense, a field, not points to define boundaries of abstract bodies.
    He is loads more bohemian than academic. Variation of IEI being the stereotype of bohemian.
    He regularly tries to manage the emotional reception of his posts as a presumptuous afterthought. Creative, though a bit crude Fe.
    The attention he gives aesthetics of his appearance fits Si role.
    Admission of being useless practically - Te PoLR.
    Last edited by Esaman; 07-18-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@sssonyyy you have a stronger opinion of me as LII now. Would you care to go into more detail about that?

pretty much what siuntal said. (i don't know how to do that mention thing.) also you seem pretty unruffled by me telling you you're not a certain type, i would probably get pissed if someone did that to me

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm flattered that everyone is trying to kick me out of their self-typing I suppose it means I'm an individual.

For Enneagram, Nine seems to be described as a very relationship-oriented type. In this sense, I could see myself fitting Five or Four, since I'm fairly distant and only feel like I can relate to people either through my imagination or through my thoughts. Four also becomes a good type, since I used to be very prone to lapsing into fantasies about who I am, what I've done, how I feel (I still do, to an extent, but I can generally tell when it's happening after a while). I think. That might be my imagination as well A relative fact though is that I'm very self-conscious of being too glum, too strange, too philosophical, too whatever, and alienating people. On top of that, I'm always very painfully aware of what it is that other people have that makes them my superiors. Usually it's work ethic, or pure talent.

On the other hand, the fantasising could be a Nine's daydreaming. That said, in support of Four over Nine, with respect to fantasising, I have a definite preference for the vibrant colours and feelings found in the imagination. It's hardly an insight that reality never delivers what your imagination does.

It's largely dependent on the author, but I can see myself in Five and Four to varying degrees. I suppose Nine could be a good type, but after R&H's condemnation of Nines as idiots, I find the type repulsive and offensive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    I don't think wanting to birth an artificial artist contitutes lack of ambition I think a Five's asceticism applies to my lifestyle. I dislike having an excess of things, and the idea of having to work harder and harder just to be enslaved to things I don't need is aversive to me. Free time and a free mind are very important things to me.