Thread: Cloud Atlas

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cloud Atlas

Did anyone see this movie? I recently rented it, and then had to purchase it because I wanted to watch it and study it more closely. Plus, I loved the soundtrack.

I've been dying to talk about it, but most people I ask haven't seen it.

If you've seen it, get in here. Let's discuss!

/nerd
    Last edited by applejacks; 06-26-2013 at 10:43 PM.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

A solid movie that is underrated. Without spoiling much of the movie, the main themes of the movie seemed to be about overcoming slavery and the effects of karma, which I liked a lot. They were recurring themes that spanned all of the time periods in the movie. People seem to either love the movie like I did or hate it with very few in between and if I had to guess it will probably be more popular among the / crowd and less popular among the / crowd.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    Solid movie, very underrated. Without spoiling anything of the movie, the main theme of the movie seemed to be about overcoming slavery, which I liked a lot. It was a recurring theme that spanned all time periods in the movie. People seem to either love the movie like I did or hate it with very few in between and if I had to guess it will probably be more popular among the / crowd and less popular among the / crowd.
    YAY! I'm so glad you liked it!

You have a very interesting take on it, I actually hadn't thought about the slavery / repression theme, but you're completely right. That's the beauty of this movie. It's so complex, and there are so many angles to think about it. That, and each movie genre is represented, maybe with the exception of a western... then again, the tribe vs. cannibals segment seemed reminiscent of cowboys & indians.

I was particularly fond of watching each character's progression, be it towards good or evil. There was so much hidden symbolism, especially for each character. For example, Tom Hanks and his fascination, trials, and temptations with jewels & greed.

And everything that I would ever hope to be true about the existence or explanation of True Love was encompassed in this film.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by applejacks View Post
    YAY! I'm so glad you liked it!

You have a very interesting take on it, I actually hadn't thought about the slavery / repression theme, but you're completely right. That's the beauty of this movie. It's so complex, and there are so many angles to think about it. That, and each movie genre is represented, maybe with the exception of a western... then again, the tribe vs. cannibals segment seemed reminiscent of cowboys & indians.

I was particularly fond of watching each character's progression, be it towards good or evil. There was so much hidden symbolism, especially for each character. For example, Tom Hanks and his fascination, trials, and temptations with jewels & greed.

And everything that I would ever hope to be true about the existence or explanation of True Love was encompassed in this film.
    Thanks. Another theme that occurs in the movie is karma on how our actions towards others can help us or hurt us down the road indirectly, which I found very interesting. Yeah, there's so many types of genres due to the varying time periods the movie takes place in that build upon the original themes imo. Very few movies have a strong emotional impact on me like this movie did. It may have little to no effect on some people, but that's why I think it's geared towards a certain audience.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    Thanks. Another theme that occurs in the movie is karma on how our actions towards others can help us or hurt us down the road indirectly, which I found very interesting. Yeah, there's so many types of genres due to the varying time periods the movie takes place in that build upon the original themes imo. Very few movies have a strong emotional impact on me like this movie did. It may have little to no effect on some people, but that's why I think it's geared towards a certain audience.
    I can't remember the last time a movie affected me the way this one did. I walked around dazed for an entire day, unable to stop thinking about it.

The really interesting thing about karma in this movie, I thought, was how they showed difficulty in overcoming previously negative actions, even if in the next reincarnation they WANT to good. By the end of the movie, "good" characters may truly struggle just to make "good" choices, simply because of previous "negative" actions they took in the past. As if to say, siding with evil can bury you so deep in the hole that it can be difficult to see or even act upon what is good or what isn't.

It was beautiful how they captured the essence of each character as well, despite reincarnations. It appealed to that inner romantic in me, how our bodies may change, but our essence is still the same... much like a dream!

I also made associations between love and those that chose to be good. It seemed the closer to evil one became, the less likely they were to find love, and relations either strengthened or dissipated accordingly throughout each time period.

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did you have any thoughts on the comet tattoo?

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I can't remember the last time a movie affected me the way this one did. I walked around dazed for an entire day, unable to stop thinking about it.

The really interesting thing about karma in this movie, I thought, was how they showed difficulty in overcoming previously negative actions, even if in the next reincarnation they WANT to good. By the end of the movie, "good" characters may truly struggle just to make "good" choices, simply because of previous "negative" actions they took in the past. As if to say, siding with evil can bury you so deep in the hole that it can be difficult to see or even act upon what is good or what isn't.

It was beautiful how they captured the essence of each character as well, despite reincarnations. It appealed to that inner romantic in me, how our bodies may change, but our essence is still the same... much like a dream!

I also made associations between love and those that chose to be good. It seemed the closer to evil one became, the less likely they were to find love, and relations either strengthened or dissipated accordingly throughout each time period.
    My sentiments as well. You might find this infographic interesting btw:

did you have any thoughts on the comet tattoo?
    I haven't really noticed them to be honest, but apparently from what I've read they're supposed to link characters from different time periods together regardless of the actor playing them.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a completely delta movie. I would say something beetween a IEE and LSE movie. My gf (LSE) was entirely convinced and really appreciated the stuff..
    "The final delusion is the belief that one has lost all delusion."

-- Maurice Chapelain

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched it. I enjoyed it very much.

I'll add, that watching it resulted in my boyfriend constantly saying " now thats the true true" following any sexual remarks.
    Last edited by InvisibleHim; 07-01-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A visually stunning but disconnected karma'ish' movie about everything being connected which failed to emotionally connect/touch me as a viewer as no storyline or character reached a point where it was emotionally compelling enough to draw me into the movie.

Probably not until the last hour did the movie begin to link together but by then most interest had already been lost with my mind preferring to wander off to ponder more interesting subjects in my head. I wondered frequently why I was bothering to continue to sit & watch such an unemotionally stimulating movie with my feelings not being aroused until the films credits where it was shown all of the roles which the cast played.

Went to bed after it hoping to think of deeper layers etc while I slept but woke up in the morning disappointed knowing there were none.

Tyrant with a side of bacon
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was a terrific concept and fantastic story, but very poorly executed. I also thought the direction and editing were terrible.

Still a decent movie to watch. It's enjoyable on many levels, but it was very disappointing to me as the potential for this movie was phenomenal, but all that opportunity was lost in the production...

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were certain parts that really touched me. One part moved me to tears.
    Mostly dialogue.

“My life amounts to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean. Yet what is any ocean, but a multitude of drops?”

“Our lives are not our own. We are bound to others, past and present, and by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.”

etc

The movie itself was disjointed.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trailer>the movie. Damn you for making me feel/hope for something. The score is flawless though.