Thread: Earning your living — choose your niche

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Earning your living — choose your niche

[1] It is essential for you to do what you want. Your work has to match your goals and ambitions. How much you make is of lesser priority than doing something that is in line with your personal motivations and aspirations, something which brings you closer to your goals. You persist.

[2] It is essential for you to make money and be continuously involved in something. Your work shapes your goals and ambitions, not the other way around. What you do is of inferior importance as long as you make a good living and lead a good life. You adapt.

[EDIT] I constructed this dichotomy to reflect two opposing philosophies and personality inclinations I've been thinking about lately. They are clearly separated in my mind but, judging by the responses so far, I'm not sure I've done the greatest job in translating my thoughts into words. Try to infer the opposing implications and decide where you stand.
    Last edited by Park; 05-25-2013 at 11:59 PM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liking the opening post doesn't answer the poll, unfortunately.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dumb.

Creepy-bg

i don't like either, but 1 would be the closest.

[1] It is essential for you to do what you want. Your work has to match your goals and ambitions be interesting enough to keep you occupied while there, while staying out of your life outside (unless when choosing to think/plan extra about it. How much you make is of lesser priority than doing something that is in line with your personal motivations and aspirations, something which brings you closer to your goals. work is work, outside of work (personal motivations, aspirations, and goals) is outside of work.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Dumb.
    Nice to meet you.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

OK, well I don't think reducing it to a dichotomy covers all the bases, what bg did was pretty good, I just went for the shorthand answer, now I explain some more....

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post

[1] It is essential for you to do what you want. Your work has to match your goals and ambitions. How much you make is of lesser priority than doing something that is in line with your personal motivations and aspirations, something which brings you closer to your goals. You persist.

[2] It is essential for you to make money and be continuously involved in something.Your work shapes your goals and ambitions, not the other way around. What you do is of inferior importance as long as you make a good living and lead a good life. You adapt.
    The bolded fits me. I think I'm a combination of the two. I have to do what I want.... at the same time, I have to make a certain amount of money doing it. So my wants are to have a certain amount of money while following a career I'm interested in and one that I like and want to do. I also have clearly-defined goals for the next two years, but after that, it's more fuzzy as to where I will actually end up, so I will adapt according to money, opportunity, and interest. Once I've chosen a goal, I persist until I have completed that goal, then I make a new goal.
    Last edited by jet city woman; 05-26-2013 at 02:46 AM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I would say 1).
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely 1 for me.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[2] It is essential for you to make money and be continuously involved in something. Your work shapes your goals and ambitions, not the other way around. What you do is of inferior importance as long as you make a good living and lead a good life. You adapt.
    I'm not sure my answer would be helpful, but here it is.

It is essential that I enjoy what I am doing and/or that it aligns with my motivations and/or ideals. More so than the income it does or doesn't supply. In fact, I have preferred homelessness rather than staying in something that countered my ideals. So 1>2.

I don't have long term goals nor ambitions, but I do feel a need to be involved in doing something, even if that something constantly changes. Because that something constantly changes, and because I lack sufficient persistence, I adapt to suit the changing circumstance, even if adapting means dropping it and pursuing something completely different. So 2>1.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    Your daul
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know. I don't think it's that simple.

I spent the first eight/six months after high school doing tests and interviews for a local airline to be accepted into their pilot program. Passed everything. Failed the medical exam. I wore glasses and apparently that was an issue for them. The deal was pretty good, which is why graduates from all over the country applied for the opportunity to work there. I only went through it because that was the only thing going for me at the time. It was either two years of that or private college.

I haven't actually chosen a profession until I applied for college, which I guess what most people do? I picked what seemed interesting to me. I had a little programming background. I wanted to work on developing games/animation, etc. so I chose IT. My interests widened - in and outside of IT. I ended up specializing as a web programmer, and picked up a minor in business.

For me, the question of money is of utmost importance. I don't want to do something that is not going to push me forward, as I have a desire to work for my own eventually - doing a lot of things. But I do believe I can make lots of money doing anything so this isn't really something I'm worried about. While I see a future in some of the things I'm interested in, I'm also realistic about the opportunities I get. Thankfully, my interests are big enough, and I'm not really set on my ways so they are always evolving, that I don't have to worry about doing something I don't like, for the time being.

I was going to say dumb thread btw. Sorry. I wrote this because I haven't actually went back and evaluated any of this before, I guess.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

1.5. I bolded the aspects I could relate to from each point. It sounds like a contradiction, but is it?
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Tyrant with a side of bacon
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I persistently adapt.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jet city woman View Post
    The bolded fits me. I think I'm a combination of the two.
    The point of the survey IS that you can't just say I'm a combination of the two, otherwise it's too easy "I want to do something I love and earn a shitload of money".

Anyway, for me, 1 more than 2.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    The point of the survey IS that you can't just say I'm a combination of the two, otherwise it's too easy "I want to do something I love and earn a shitload of money".
    Why can't I?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why can't I?
    Of course you can in real life but this is not the point of this kind of survey...are you playing dumb?

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course you can in real life but this is not the point of this kind of survey...are you playing dumb?
    No, I just answered the survey truthfully. I really don't care what the point of the survey is or was. I just did what I wanted to....
    I don't follow Te rules, sorry.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just did what I wanted to....
    Oh, you're such a rebel!
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Tyrant with a side of bacon
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or perhaps the survey is too polarizing or too simplistic? Or maybe even only applies to very simple people?

For example, a poll on "How do you primarily eat food? For nutritional value or for taste?" Simpletons may have such black & white values for their food intake (and likely die early because of it), but health minded or more adult people take both into account with every food choice.

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, I didn't want to try to explain why, finale, so I just answered that way.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Finale View Post
    Or perhaps the survey is too polarizing or too simplistic? Or maybe even only applies to very simple people?
    Are you trolling? Everyone here knows it's simplistic. All polls are, especially dichotomous ones. It's the point to choose one of both options, despite the mixed impression you might have. If you answer with something like "a bit of 1, a bit of 2" there wouldn't be any reason to make a poll. It's about priorities.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa3s View Post
    Are you trolling? Everyone here knows it's simplistic. All polls are, especially dichotomous ones. It's the point to choose one of both options, despite the mixed impression you might have. If you answer with something like "a bit of 1, a bit of 2" there wouldn't be any reason to make a poll. It's about priorities.
    I think you missed the point.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if you can then it's not truly dichotomous is it? SOCIONICS SPOILER.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or perhaps the survey is too polarizing or too simplistic?
    Yes. That's the point of such a survey.

Or maybe even only applies to very simple people?
    No. You can always reply with an approximated preference.

For example, a poll on "How do you primarily eat food? For nutritional value or for taste?" Simpletons may have such black & white values for their food intake (and likely die early because of it), but health minded or more adult people take both into account with every food choice.
    YOU TAKE BOTH INTO ACCOUNT BUT YOU MAY HAVE A PREFERENCE FOR ONE OR THE OTHER. EVEN 51-49.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I just answered the survey truthfully. I really don't care what the point of the survey is or was. I just did what I wanted to....
    You're retarded.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That escalated quickly.

What if its 50/50 across the uncertainty error margin

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're retarded.
    The truth is, I've never thought you were smart either, so we're on even ground. I think you're gross and cheesy, and tacky.

YOU TAKE BOTH INTO ACCOUNT BUT YOU MAY HAVE A PREFERENCE FOR ONE OR THE OTHER. EVEN 51-49.
    So I suppose you, or whomever is taking the poll, knows what percentage your/their preference is, if it's 51% one way or the other?

To me, neither is a good fit, and that was the point of my original post, which apparently, you missed. I'm a combination of the two. I generally don't fit into neat, simple little boxes, if you haven't noticed.

I think the OP is trying to convey a meaning, but missing at description. At the same time, I think he's possibly the only one here who fits perfectly into one of them lol..... He's explained himself if you notice in his initial post.....
    Last edited by jet city woman; 05-26-2013 at 12:38 PM.

TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1] It is essential for you to do what you want. Your work has to match your goals and ambitions. How much you make is of lesser priority than doing something that is in line with your personal motivations and aspirations, something which brings you closer to your goals. You persist. [2] It is essential for you to make money and be continuously involved in something. Your work shapes your goals and ambitions, not the other way around. What you do is of inferior importance as long as you make a good living and lead a good life. You adapt.
    [EDIT] I constructed this dichotomy to reflect two opposing philosophies and personality inclinations I've been thinking about lately. They are clearly separated in my mind but, judging by the responses so far, I'm not sure I've done the greatest job in translating my thoughts into words. Try to infer the opposing implications and decide where you stand.
    I think you've done a decent job of describing the dichotomy, but it's concise enough to be interpreted as simplistic and even false. I would be most successful in the camp of "1"; it denotes that I've learned enough from the experiences earned from mode "2" to gain momentum in life with satisfaction. By successful, I mean that I would feel like I was living healthily in at least one aspect of my life - arguably the most fundamental aspect. It would be an active and stimulating challenge. Being in mode 1 for anyone with refined taste probably means that you had to carry a cross on your shoulder until you narrowed down the feasible possibilities that spoke to you. Both camps demand that you incorporate a sense of realism and logical deduction in order to get anywhere professionally. EDIT: I'm at odds about what the gist of the question is. Is this kind of like a typological muse, or are you giving us two options to consciously choose from? Dichotomies get really hairy when you deal with any dynamic thing, especially when recounting every instance that applies to either dichotomy becomes tedious and time consuming. Anyone with even a modicum of life experience would scratch their head thinking about this question for a while if they took it as a serious "type me" thing.
    Last edited by RedBeard; 05-26-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    The trickster is at one and the same time creator and destroyer, giver and negator, he who dupes others, and who is always duped himself.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa3s View Post
    Then based on that logic there was no point in making the poll, hence you are illogical for participating in the poll.

Meanwhile away from la la land, no one is holding a gun to our heads I hope if someone decides not to choose either/or.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decidificate or the curse of the Fabio will be upon thee!

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So simple, yet so hard to understand.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The truth is, I've never thought you were smart either, so we're on even ground. I think you're gross and cheesy, and tacky.
    I don't care. Honestly. Get your daily drama from someone else.

So I suppose you, or whomever is taking the poll, knows what percentage your/their preference is, if it's 51% one way or the other?
    I just "estimate" it's like that right now. It's not unchanglable.

To me, neither is a good fit, and that was the point of my original post, which apparently, you missed.
    No, we all got that point, very clearly.

I'm a combination of the two. I generally don't fit into neat, simple little boxes, if you haven't noticed.
    Everyone is a combination of the two (hopefully!). This is just a survey not a final categorization of human beings?

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fabio enters thread - check
    Fabio calls people names - check
    Fabio claims people are causing drama - check

Ones average experience of Fabio played out in one thread.

Im about 72% Category 2 on the Parkogram.

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Shut Up and Go Away FDG.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post

Ones average experience of Fabio played out in one thread.
    Well well, at least I'm not making things boring

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Then based on that logic there was no point in making the poll, hence you are illogical for participating in the poll.

Meanwhile away from la la land, no one is holding a gun to our heads I hope if someone decides not to choose either/or.
    Nah, the illogical(?) bit would have to go the thread maker first and foremost and only then to participants in it, especially the ones who are ambivalent and can't make up their mind between an apple and carrot.

Simply put it is judicious/decisive dichotomy Park plays with here. I can be wrong though - it's still a Socionics forum last time I checked so...

But like I said, I can be totally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    That's how LIE roll.

I would pick "with a fork."
    Last edited by Absurd; 05-26-2013 at 01:26 PM.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well well, at least I'm not making things boring
    less than 3

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Nah, the illogical(?) bit would have to go the thread maker first and foremost and only then to participants in it, especially the ones who are ambivalent and can't make up their mind between an apple and carrot.

Simply put it is judicious/decisive dichotomy Park plays with here. I can be wrong though - it's still a Socionics forum last time I checked so...

But like I said, I can be totally wrong.
    Following orders isn't an excuse, unless we want to blame Reinin not threadmaker (blaming Reinin for his crappy dichotomies is not a bad idea). Well spotted though even if you are wrong.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree with you, except that the dichotomy added other descriptions to choose from than simply interest vs money.

It also included persisting vs adapting. But it failed to take into account the people who persist through a job they don't care for because it provides more money. Nor the people who adapt their lifestyle to better suit a lowered income so they could continue in the job they love.

He also added in being continuously involved in something vs having goals/aspirations. Consider the type of person who is constantly trying out new things. They aren't doing it for the money cuz there's really not much money in constantly switching jobs (unless the job involves constant change). Nor would they necessarily be persisting towards some overall long term goal/aspiration.

The best way to make his dichotomIES simpler and more accurate is to keep each dichotomy to one non-conjunctive sentence.
    interest vs money
    persisting vs adapting
    goals vs busywork vs new experiences
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast