Thread: What Type Am I?

TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation What Type Am I?

Help me discover my type by asking me well formulated questions, for I am unsure of myself. Discover the riches to be had from within you and I.
    The trickster is at one and the same time creator and destroyer, giver and negator, he who dupes others, and who is always duped himself.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your type field says Fe-IEI 4w5 sx/so, so I guess you're just looking for attention.

TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Your type field says Fe-IEI 4w5 sx/so, so I guess you're just looking for attention.
    Isn't that virtually what all "type me" threads are about?

Anyway, have you reached any conclusions?
    The trickster is at one and the same time creator and destroyer, giver and negator, he who dupes others, and who is always duped himself.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

How do you act on busy pedestrian roads?

Is it harder for you to relax, or harder for you to start working?

What are your opinions on the band Radiohead?

Is there such thing as objective truth or is everything subjective?

TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    How do you act on busy pedestrian roads?
    I smile at homeless people, punch stop light buttons repeatedly, and I'm a chump for people who ask me for change.

Is it harder for you to relax, or harder for you to start working?
    It's harder for me to start working most definitely.

What are your opinions on the band Radiohead?
    Where Tool pioneered mainstream progressive metal, Radiohead pioneered mainstream progressive alternative. I like them both. I like Tool more, and I don't think that's Tool's success was as accidental. My comparison of the two comes across as bizarre, I'm sure, but at least they're comparable in their level of uniqueness.

At the moment, I don't entirely know what to make of Radiohead when I attempt to develop a complex opinion about them. Your avatar looks like one of the members, so if it's any consolation, it's a bit like I'm being pressured to conform to your tastes.

I could sing/dance/masturbate to at least 5 of their songs and regret nothing.

Is there such thing as objective truth or is everything subjective?
    If "everything is subjective", isn't that still a claim about the objective nature of things? There must be a thing as objective truth.

addendum: the success of this conversation depends on the answer to the last question. If your intent in asking it was to assess the potential success, good on you. However, I'm guessing maybe it relates more to a preference for introversion/extraversion, feeling/thinking.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
    I smile at homeless people, punch stop light buttons repeatedly, and I'm a chump for people who ask me for change.
    How are you with walking to places? Do you take on a more decisive sort of pace and walk forward straight, or do you weave around people (assuming they're facing you and can see you coming)?

It's harder for me to start working most definitely.
    Alpha or Delta.

Where Tool pioneered mainstream progressive metal, Radiohead pioneered mainstream progressive alternative. I like them both. I like Tool more, and I don't think that's Tool's success was as accidental. My comparison of the two comes across as bizarre, I'm sure, but at least they're comparable in their level of uniqueness.

At the moment, I don't entirely know what to make of Radiohead when I attempt to develop a complex opinion about them. Your avatar looks like one of the members, so if it's any consolation, it's a bit like I'm being pressured to conform to your tastes.

I could sing/dance/masturbate to at least 5 of their songs and regret nothing.
    Both bands started out playing a more commercial variant of their current style, Tool had Undertow and Radiohead had Pablo Honey and The Bends. I think if Radiohead had gone straight from The Bends to Kid A, they wouldn't have had as much success. But OK Computer married the rock side to the electronic side and acted largely as a larval stage album, bridging the gap between the two styles. I think that may have had some hand in the fact that Radiohead are still very popular.

If "everything is subjective", isn't that still a claim about the objective nature of things? There must be a thing as objective truth.
    There are people that would argue that everything is subjective based on the fact that objectivity operates on a factual basis, and that facts are interpreted, thus those interpretations will always be subjective, but certain minds will see structures such as mathematics giving rise to things like the fact that one item being held in your held is objectively one item, based on that construct, even if it was manmade.

Also, classifications like "all cheetahs have spots and a coat of fur that is generally a mix of yellow and off-white". But subjectivists might argue that "maybe there are examples of cheetahs that don't fit these characteristics, but we haven't found them yet" or "those descriptions are manmade and therefore can never be objective". At this point, the objectivist has probably begun trying to beat the subjectivist to death with his cock. You get the picture.

Anyway, the objective quadras (meaning ones that use Te/Fi) are Gamma (SEE, ESI, LIE, ILI) and Delta (IEE, EII, LSE, SLI). Subjectivist quadras (meaning ones that use Fe/Ti) are Alpha (ILE, LII, ESE and SEI) and Beta (SLE, LSI, EIE, IEI).

You seem to think you're a Fe/Ti type, though. Why?

addendum: the success of this conversation depends on the answer to the last question. If your intent in asking it was to assess the potential success, good on you. However, I'm guessing maybe it relates more to a preference for introversion/extraversion, feeling/thinking.
    My intention is to help type you, but I don't want to show all my working.

TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are you with walking to places? Do you take on a more decisive sort of pace and walk forward straight, or do you weave around people (assuming they're facing you and can see you coming)?
    I weave around people and quite enjoy it. Even when I'm walking with friends, I display this tendency, which I perceive to be an inherent "follower" kind of quality.

Alpha or Delta.
    I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion.

Both bands started out playing a more commercial variant of their current style, Tool had Undertow and Radiohead had Pablo Honey and The Bends. I think if Radiohead had gone straight from The Bends to Kid A, they wouldn't have had as much success. But OK Computer married the rock side to the electronic side and acted largely as a larval stage album, bridging the gap between the two styles. I think that may have had some hand in the fact that Radiohead are still very popular.
    Tool released an even more commercial sounding album: "Opiate", before their better known "Undertow" was released. They fleshed out their style from the ground up.

Thom Yorke seems to be a polarizing character in that he alienates fans; many fans "get" this proclivity and love him even more for it. Something about one of his newer music videos from "The King of Limbs" practically exudes a gloating sort of quality, like he knows just how "hype" he is and any foolish thing he might do will be interpreted as hot shit.

There are people that would argue that everything is subjective based on the fact that objectivity operates on a factual basis, and that facts are interpreted, thus those interpretations will always be subjective, but certain minds will see structures such as mathematics giving rise to things like the fact that one item being held in your held is objectively one item, based on that construct, even if it was manmade.

Also, classifications like "all cheetahs have spots and a coat of fur that is generally a mix of yellow and off-white". But subjectivists might argue that "maybe there are examples of cheetahs that don't fit these characteristics, but we haven't found them yet" or "those descriptions are manmade and therefore can never be objective". At this point, the objectivist has probably begun trying to beat the subjectivist to death with his cock. You get the picture.
    I've experienced bouts of both subjectivist attitudes and objectivist attitudes. Even when I experiment with an objectivist's tool-set, it's really more like I practice deconstructionism and structuralism from an essentially subjectivist viewpoint. Even though I recognize the limits of subjectivism, especially in the sense that objectivists tend to exemplify hardy, stable, productive, and seemingly healthy lifestyles more than subjectivists do, I believe I'm at heart a subjectivist who enjoys playing Devil's Advocate. (A blow to my ego.)

Anyway, the objective quadras (meaning ones that use Te/Fi) are Gamma (SEE, ESI, LIE, ILI) and Delta (IEE, EII, LSE, SLI). Subjectivist quadras (meaning ones that use Fe/Ti) are Alpha (ILE, LII, ESE and SEI) and Beta (SLE, LSI, EIE, IEI).

You seem to think you're a Fe/Ti type, though. Why?
    I initially went with IEI because I'm confident that I'm an INFP in the Meyer's Brigg's system (IEI is the typical, if not just logical corresponding type), and because the Socionics Ni/Fe descriptions resonate with me. I also considered IEE, but after learning that IEE's boast a serious demeanor with a playful interior, I decided against that. I tend to approach life tongue-in-cheek.

I doubt you could if you tried. Time permits for only so much.
    Last edited by RedBeard; 05-21-2013 at 05:07 AM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Describe your living habits...are you organized, like to have places for things; are you disorganized and messy...etc.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Describe your living habits...are you organized, like to have places for things; are you disorganized and messy...etc.
    I'm mostly disorganized, but once every full moon, I inexplicably clean everything in one fell swoop. There's variation in between, and for that I just try to assort and categorize things as crudely as possible to avoid scorpion infiltration.

One of the little fuckers fell asleep in my jeans once...

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to help him, stop misapplying dichotomies with idiotic questions.
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thePirate View Post
    If you want to help him, stop misapplying dichotomies with idiotic questions.
    LOL. If you want to help Fen, take that tasteless avatar down.

Unless, of course, you like picking on little girls... then by all means...

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I weave around people and quite enjoy it. Even when I'm walking with friends, I display this tendency, which I perceive to be an inherent "follower" kind of quality.
    This is supposedly tied to irrational types (EP, IP temperament), whereas the rational ones plow forward

Tool released an even more commercial sounding album: "Opiate", before their better known "Undertow" was released. They fleshed out their style from the ground up.

Thom Yorke seems to be a polarizing character in that he alienates fans; many fans "get" this proclivity and love him even more for it. Something about one of his newer music videos from "The King of Limbs" practically exudes a gloating sort of quality, like he knows just how "hype" he is and any foolish thing he might do will be interpreted as hot shit.
    Opiate is just a 30-something minute EP, but yeah, I get what you mean, they definitely sounded a lot different starting out.

I think first and foremost, people seem to hate Thom's voice, it's the most common complaint. But Radiohead seems to be attacked a lot for being "pretentious", even by music fans that listen to stuff that would similarly be considered "pretentious". I think as far as the music fans are concerned, it's just that Radiohead might be considered overrepresented amongst alternative music fans, so there's this inclination to cut them down, it's a bit of a shame, they're quite an enjoyable band if you give them a chance. I can't really comment on how they handle the hype, because I'm n

I initially went with IEI because I'm confident that I'm an INFP in the Meyer's Brigg's system (IEI is the typical, if not just logical corresponding type), and because the Socionics Ni/Fe descriptions resonate with me. I also considered IEE, but after learning that IEE's boast a serious demeanor with a playful interior, I decided against that. I tend to approach life tongue-in-cheek.
    The Socionic functions are different to the MBTI ones, though I trust you've read up on them a bit before deciding. The general consensus seems to be that introvert types could go in either the judging or perceiving direction, depending on the person in a case by case basis.

It's hard to rely on profiles because some of them aren't translated well from Russian. There's also that whole "XXXxs are known for _____, but sometimes they will do the complete opposite!" rigmarole. There are moments of insight, but keep that in mind. Also, Forer's effect.

I doubt you could if you tried. Time permits for only so much.
    Welcome to Socionics.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't that virtually what all "type me" threads are about?

Anyway, have you reached any conclusions?
    What he said was a joke because of the typings. IEI and 4 are probably pretty attention-seeking. 4s at least are. To quote, "The baby that doesn't cry doesn't get fed."

edit- and the actual functional equivalent to INFP in MBTI would be INFj or EII. You have to flip the p/j in introverts to get the right order of functions. But that doesn't always translate to socionics because the functions have different definitions, especially the feeling ones.

TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before this thread tapers off into inactivity, I would like to fulfill my end of the bargain and make it NSFW.

This is supposedly tied to irrational types (EP, IP temperament), whereas the rational ones plow forward
    Sounds about right.

There are times when I sort of bounce back, anticipate someone's movements, and make a judgment about them without going with the flow. I'm assuming some Fe is at work here. Then a feedback process happens and I run into them.

Opiate is just a 30-something minute EP, but yeah, I get what you mean, they definitely sounded a lot different starting out.

I think first and foremost, people seem to hate Thom's voice, it's the most common complaint. But Radiohead seems to be attacked a lot for being "pretentious", even by music fans that listen to stuff that would similarly be considered "pretentious". I think as far as the music fans are concerned, it's just that Radiohead might be considered overrepresented amongst alternative music fans, so there's this inclination to cut them down, it's a bit of a shame, they're quite an enjoyable band if you give them a chance. I can't really comment on how they handle the hype, because I'm n
    Dude, I don't know how anyone could reasonably jump to the conclusion that they're "pretentious". It seems like maybe the alternative sludge from whence they (sort of) came bit at their ankles. After all, the grunge scene was born in resistance to the "glam" scene of L.A. with Motley Crue, Guns 'N' Roses, etc. While Radiohead's style is wildly more contemporary, they seem to relish aesthetic appeal. iirc, Yorke actually depreciated himself for his voice in a live interview; closely examined, the "pretentious" label is full of holes.

To anyone who legitimately thinks Radiohead is pretentious, I would say they're being pretentious for catering to Radiohead's income, whether it's through buying their albums, encouraging P2P sharing, or even giving the band credit despite the fact that they supposedly dislike it. Even P2P sharing generates enthusiasm, which in tern stimulates the musical industry when it influences retail and merchandise.

The Socionic functions are different to the MBTI ones, though I trust you've read up on them a bit before deciding. The general consensus seems to be that introvert types could go in either the judging or perceiving direction, depending on the person in a case by case basis.
    I find this to be bizarre. Not that it's not possible, but I would like to figure out how the defining characteristics of each overlap and diverge. And, if the I/E dichotomies differ in each system, what would prevent the possibility of say, an INTp accurately scoring as an ENTP in MBTI? The sequence falls into disarray, and the corresponding types for each system seem arbitrary, if only present for the sake of nostalgic perceptions about particular people.

It's hard to rely on profiles because some of them aren't translated well from Russian. There's also that whole "XXXxs are known for _____, but sometimes they will do the complete opposite!" rigmarole. There are moments of insight, but keep that in mind. Also, Forer's effect.
    The only tenable way to avoid the Forer effect is to disregard past experiences and perceptions, whether they are meant to define one trait or another. One must also forget themselves as well. In the end, I feel most certain just sort of digesting the information and seeing what my gut says. It's just as a reliable deciding faculty as any when dealing with these sorts of "sciences".

Welcome to Socionics.
    Thank you, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxOnStilts View Post
    What he said was a joke because of the typings. IEI and 4 are probably pretty attention-seeking. 4s at least are. To quote, "The baby that doesn't cry doesn't get fed."

edit- and the actual functional equivalent to INFP in MBTI would be INFj or EII. You have to flip the p/j in introverts to get the right order of functions. But that doesn't always translate to socionics because the functions have different definitions, especially the feeling ones.

(tbh I've heavily considered E6, but I'm comfortable with E4 as a tentative typing).
    Last edited by RedBeard; 05-21-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno dude, I saw you on tinychat the once. I have no idea what you're typing is. Fe-ish perhaps.