Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Should You Work Out Today?

  1. #1
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Should You Work Out Today?

    The answer to this question is usually "Yes." But sometimes it's better to skip. So here is a helpful infographic to help you decide.

    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  2. #2
    what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Space
    TIM
    Seer
    Posts
    12,804
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes, working out while recovering from the flu is not a good idea... I've tried before and failed miserably.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

  3. #3
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,631
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No, because I cycled 140 kms yesterday
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  4. #4
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireyed View Post
    Yes, working out while recovering from the flu is not a good idea... I've tried before and failed miserably.
    I can barely walk when I have the flu, lol. I once went to the gym after having been in a car collision that morning. It was on the highway at around 65 mph and I experienced a crushing pain in my chest upon impact but I was all in one piece with nothing noticeably wrong with me. I wanted to work off the stress from the incident. I was fine at first doing some free weights, but then I almost collapsed while trying to do dips. Apparently, I had bruised my ribs. Didn't go back for about three weeks.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  5. #5
    FoxOnStilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    TN
    TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Posts
    780
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I just don't like working out.

  6. #6
    what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Space
    TIM
    Seer
    Posts
    12,804
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    I can barely walk when I have the flu, lol. I once went to the gym after having been in a car collision that morning. It was on the highway at around 65 mph and I experienced a crushing pain in my chest upon impact but I was all in one piece with nothing noticeably wrong with me. I wanted to work off the stress from the incident. I was fine at first doing some free weights, but then I almost collapsed while trying to do dips. Apparently, I had bruised my ribs. Didn't go back for about three weeks.
    Sounds like something I would have done. Once you get into the habit of working out regularly, the most frustrating thing is not being able to because of health issues. You get really addicted to the endorphins.


    Quote Originally Posted by FoxOnStilts View Post
    I just don't like working out.
    You sound like my sister, haha. I once convinced her do a work out tape with me and she complained the entire time like she was about to die. She only did it for two days, but then kept whining the whole week about her ass feeling like it was on fire. lol

    I actually love the feeling of sore muscles.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

  7. #7
    FoxOnStilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    TN
    TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Posts
    780
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireyed View Post
    You sound like my sister, haha. I once convinced her do a work out tape with me and she complained the entire time like she was about to die. She only did it for two days, but then kept whining the whole week about her ass feeling like it was on fire. lol

    I actually love the feeling of sore muscles.
    I actually like the feeling of sore muscles, too. Most of the time, working out is just so boring. I've tried audiobooks and that zombie app but meh. I can do actual work when I have something to keep my mind occupied at the same time. For instance, doing fieldwork is a lot of manual labor that left me very, very sore, but I was also distracted and trying to find things and fix things and pay attention to detail.

    I dunno. I'm sure it'll bite me in the ass someday, but what do we say to the God of Exercise? Not Today.

  8. #8
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireyed View Post
    Sounds like something I would have done. Once you get into the habit of working out regularly, the most frustrating thing is not being able to because of health issues. You get really addicted to the endorphins.
    Yup. I get really antsy when I can't work off the energy somehow. The rest of my life is pretty sedentary so I need an outlet.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  9. #9
    ഗന᎕ᒹ ±ᗉᚔXᙂഗ woofwoofl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern Arizona
    TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Posts
    1,906
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxOnStilts View Post
    I actually like the feeling of sore muscles, too. Most of the time, working out is just so boring. I've tried audiobooks and that zombie app but meh. I can do actual work when I have something to keep my mind occupied at the same time. For instance, doing fieldwork is a lot of manual labor that left me very, very sore, but I was also distracted and trying to find things and fix things and pay attention to detail.

    I dunno. I'm sure it'll bite me in the ass someday, but what do we say to the God of Exercise? Not Today.
    Get an iPod and put some stuff that rules on it!

  10. #10
    Decadent Charlatan Aquagraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Continental Vinnland
    TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Posts
    3,967
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    *gasp* I just realized that I can not follow those lines logically and end up in "Fine, take a rest" every single time!
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

  11. #11
    Robot Assassin Pa3s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Revised version:

    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

  12. #12
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    You did go to the ER after the incident, yes?
    Not immediately afterwards. I was very stupid. I only really felt much pain in the moment of collision. I felt all the air in my lungs escape and the force of the seatbelt and airbags against my chest. I did see the EMTs who gave me a quick once over and checked my heart rate and BP and any external signs of damage, but there was nothing apparent. I went to the hospital that night, though.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  13. #13
    Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Posts
    3,051
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    *gasp* I just realized that I can not follow those lines logically and end up in "Fine, take a rest" every single time!
    Gasp! You can also follow the lines logically, end up at "Go work out!", and STILL not work out! Because it's just a stupid picture!
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

  14. #14
    Decadent Charlatan Aquagraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Continental Vinnland
    TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Posts
    3,967
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Gasp! You can also follow the lines logically, end up at "Go work out!", and STILL not work out! Because it's just a stupid picture!
    It might be a simplistic one but I liked the attitude. And I like yours too.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

  15. #15
    InvisibleHim's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canis Majoris
    Posts
    364
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Don't need to; my physique was personally sculpted by the hands of God.

  16. #16
    Kill4Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Posts
    1,515
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deestructor View Post
    Don't need to; my physique was personally sculpted by the hands of God.
    let's see

  17. #17
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    I work out outside where I see people regularly and dogs; that is a good enough motivator to go to the same spot and run my butt off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •