Thread: george bataille

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default george bataille

another famous person thread made because i fell in love with one quote i happened across.
    don't know anything about this guy.

(i think @leckysupport might have mentioned him to me at one point but i lost the list of names i asked him for -whoops- so i could be wrong.)

“I don’t want your love unless you know I am repulsive, and love me even as you know it.”

"Intellectual despair results in neither weakness nor dreams, but in violence. It is only a matter of knowing how to give vent to one's rage; whether one only wants to wander like madmen around prisons, or whether one wants to overturn them."

“The need to go astray, to be destroyed, is an extremely private, distant, passionate, turbulent truth.”

“I believe that truth has only one face: that of a violent contradiction.”

“Nothing is more necessary or stronger in us than rebellion.”

“We have in fact only two certainties in this world - that we are not everything and that we will die.”

“Incredible nervous state, trepidation beyond words: to be this much in love is to be sick (and I love to be sick).”

“The sexual act is in time what the tiger is in space.”

“To others, the universe seems decent because decent people have gelded eyes. That is why they fear lewdness. They are never frightened by the crowing of a rooster or when strolling under a starry heaven. In general, people savor the "pleasures of the flesh" only on condition that they be insipid.
    But as of then, no doubt existed for me: I did not care for what is known as "pleasures of the flesh" because they really are insipid; I cared only for what is classified as "dirty." On the other hand, I was not even satisfied with the usual debauchery, because the only thing it dirties is debauchery itself, while, in some way or other, anything sublime and perfectly pure is left intact by it. My kind of debauchery soils not only my body and my thoughts, but also anything I may conceive in its course, that is to say, the vast starry universe, which merely serves as a backdrop.”

“The power of death signifies that this real world can only have a neutral image of life, that life's intimacy does not reveal it's dazzling consumption until the moment it gives out.”

“Above all human existence requires stability, the permanence of things. The result is an ambivalence with respect to all great and violent expenditure of strength; such an expenditure, whether in nature or in man, represents the strongest possible threat. The feelings of admiration and of ecstasy induced by them thus mean that we are concerned to admire them from afar. The sun corresponds to that prudent concern. It is all radiance gigantic loss of heat and light, flame, explosion; but remote from men, who can enjoy in safety and quiet the fruits of this cataclysm. To earth belongs the solidity which sustains houses of stone and the steps of men (at least on its surface, for buried within the depths of the earth is the incandescence of lava).”

“Indeed, the direction of the future is only there in order to elude us.”

“I think that knowledge enslaves us, that at the base of all knowledge there is a servility, the acceptation of a way of life wherein each moment has meaning only in relation to another or others that will follow it.”

“The road to the kingdom of childhood, governed by ingenuousness and innocence, is thus regained in the horror of atonement. The purity of love is regained in its intimate truth which, as I said, is that of death. Death and the instant of divine intoxication merge when they both oppose those intentions of Good which are based on rational calculation. And death indicates the instant which, in so far as it is instantaneous, renounces the calculated quest for survival. The instant of the new individual being depended on the death of other beings. Had they not died there would have been no room for new ones. Reproduction and death condition the immortal renewal of life; they condition the instant which is always new. That is why we can only have a tragic view of the enchantment of life, but that is also why tragedy is the symbol of enchantment.”

“We want to decipher skies and paintings, go behind these starry backgrounds or these painted canvases and, like kids trying to find a gap in a fence, try to look through the cracks in the world.”

“It is clear that the world is purely parodic, that each thing seen is the parody of another, or is the same thing in a deceptive form.”

“A man who finds himself among others is irritated because he does not know why he is not one of the others.

In bed next to a girl he loves, he forgets that he does not know why he is himself instead of the body he touches.

Without knowing it, he suffers from the mental darkness that keeps him from screaming that he himself is the girl who forgets his presence while shuddering in his arms.”

“The warrior's nobility is like a prostitute's smile, the truth of which is self-interest.”

“From incoherent barkings of desire, man can advance to distinct speech now that, labelling the object with a name, he is able to make an implicit connection between the material it is made of and the work required to get it from the old state to the new in which it is ready for use. Thenceforth language firmly anchors the object in the stream of time.”

“My conduct with my friends is motivated: each being is, I believe, incapable on his own, of going to the end of being. If he tries, he is submerged within a "private being" which has meaning only for himself. Now there is no meaning for a lone individual: being alone would of itself reject the "private being" if it saw it as such (if I wish my life to have meaning for me, it is necessary that it have meaning for others: no one would dare give to life a meaning which he alone would perceive, from which life in its entirety would escape, except within himself). At the extreme limit of the "possible", it is true, there is nonsense . . . but only of that which had a prior sense: this is fulguration, even "apotheosis" of nonsense. But I don't attain the extreme limit on my own and, in actual fact, I can't believe the extreme limit attained, for I never remain there. If I had to be the only one having attained it (assuming that I had . . .), it would be as thought it had not occurred. For if there subsisted a satisfaction, as small as I can imagine it to be, it would distance me as much from the extreme limit. I cannot for a moment cease to incite myself to attain the extreme limit, and cannot make a distinction between myself and those with whom I desire to communicate."

not giving it much thought, but iei came to mind as i was digging up quotes.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was me, Lungs. This is my guy. haha

I very much doubt he was IEI. He was quite flamboyant.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    Ni-ENTj 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

He looks like a rapist in the first picture, so I type him SLE.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    He looks like a rapist in the first picture, so I type him SLE.
    I'm fairly sure he was. haha
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    Ni-ENTj 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

SLE confirm.

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

TIM
    Ni-IEI sx/sp
    Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Battaile quote:

“Above all human existence requires stability, the permanence of things. The result is an ambivalence with respect to all great and violent expenditure of strength; such an expenditure, whether in nature or in man, represents the strongest possible threat. The feelings of admiration and of ecstasy induced by them thus mean that we are concerned to admire them from afar. The sun corresponds to that prudent concern. It is all radiance gigantic loss of heat and light, flame, explosion; but remote from men, who can enjoy in safety and quiet the fruits of this cataclysm. To earth belongs the solidity which sustains houses of stone and the steps of men (at least on its surface, for buried within the depths of the earth is the incandescence of lava).”
    Beta wouldn't say that existence is in need of "permanence and stability" and that "violent expenditures of strength" are a threat and something that needs to be watched from afar. What this guys is saying is a total inversion of beta values i.e. he's delta: LSE e6

Little known thing about deltas is that they can be total weirdos when it comes to human sciences, way more bizarre and out there than betas.

edit: Stratievskaya has made this same observation concerning LSEs:

"The other dominant aspect is involutionary sensing of experiences (Si) which is the creative function of LSE – on this aspect the LSE strives to not let in anything that may destroy the already existing order, harmony, and way of life; he wishes to distance from physical and and psychological irritants, to preserve the wholesomeness and beauty of relations, of the person, of the world around him. If harmful elements are brought up for discussion, they are usually mentioned as something that needs to be eliminated from one's environment, and eliminated from one's personality and one's relationships."

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...Stratiyevskaya
    Last edited by silke; 04-07-2014 at 04:59 AM.

Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    Beta wouldn't say that existence is in need of "permanence and stability" and that "violent expenditures of strength" are a threat and something that needs to be watched from afar. What this guys is saying it total inversion of beta values i.e. he's delta: LSE e6

Little known thing about deltas is that they can be total weirdos when it comes to human sciences, way more bizarre and out there than betas.
    I think he's actually Beta, but EIE.

“I believe that truth has only one face: that of a violent contradiction.”

“Nothing is more necessary or stronger in us than rebellion.”

I these these comments explains his other comments, EIE's are very contradictory people and his comments imo are fairly disconnected from the physical. Many of his quotes are associations that can only be made within the framework of the mind, similar to the surrealism that he is associated with. He is a extrovert/negativist for sure and I think intuitive not sensing.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

He's not LSE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged