View Poll Results: Will you teach Socionics to your kids?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 29.41%
  • No

8 47.06%
  • Other

4 23.53%

Thread: Will you teach Socionics to your kids?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Will you teach Socionics to your kids?

Or introduce your kids to typology?

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

no. no no no no no no no.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

probably not.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. But my daughter and I are currently reading about a model of the brain and protocol guide used by our neurofeedback technician. She'll likely learn a bit about the Big 5, and is learning about the employment exploration questionnaires that result in the three letters like Artistic, Realistic, Investigative, Social, Conventional, and Enterprising. She has learned from those questionnaires that she doesn't like Investigative activities at all, even though she has an excellent memory for and enjoyment of scientific details. We are hoping her employment training counselours can figure out how to make best use of that.

When it comes down to it, socionics doesn't have all that much to offer, especially since many of its practitioners keep treating it as a personality trait theory rather than an information processing theory. If I were to consider teaching it to someone, it would be in terms of Aspectonics and I would likely focus on applying those basic types of information to actual activities rather than to people, though there would be an underlying suggestion that some people are better/worse than others at handling the type of info an activity requires. (and of course different ways of trying to do any given activity.)
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Depends on the child and level of development. I don't think all individuals are capable of applying everything they learn but it's not detrimental if they know such things exist. Inevitably they will learn about typology in high-school, college, career. I think most people in the West learned socionics thru MBTI, so ultimately at a certain point I would have to point them away from MBTI.

Statistical marketing has a typology component which is not heavily investigated or explained but that computation is significantly predictive so I think they should understand that first.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's like asking whether you're pro public education versus private one. I mean the question sounds as if people/families lock themselves indoors in secrecy and teach their progeny the art of Socionics, the forbidden fruit banned by authorities, fearing persecution and burning at the stake.

Then an enlightened figure appears and leads the flock out of the dark ages forward into light.

Would I do it? Providing they would be receptive towards such theories in the first place? I'm sure I would teach them or at least to teach/instill in them a grain of critical thinking so they can decide whether it is worthwhile to continue depending on what they're going to encounter in their lives, and only intervene when need be.

Wonder whether Socionics is going to be taught alongside math, physics, law and art in school...
    Last edited by Absurd; 04-03-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would introduce them to typology if I thought they needed it for some reason. Other than that, no.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jet city woman View Post
    I would introduce them to typology if I thought they needed it for some reason. Other than that, no.
    I'm sure given the technology and typologies being widespread on the Internet they wouldn't find it and not know about it beforehand, taking into account kids are fast learners...

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    I'm sure given the technology and typologies being widespread on the Internet they wouldn't find it and not know about it beforehand, taking into account kids are fast learners...
    So, what does this have to do with the initial question, "Would I introduce my children to typology?" If they found it and liked it, no harm in that, depending on how embraced they were. I don't know if I would consider typologies being widespread on the internet; I mean there's some typology there but..... it's not a mainstream activity that people use the internet for. I would say that the use of typology is a bit.... underground actually and definitely uncommon.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jet city woman View Post
    I don't know if I would consider typologies being widespread on the internet; I mean there's some typology there but..... it's not a mainstream activity that people use the internet for. I would say that the use of typology is a bit.... underground actually and definitely uncommon.
    If not the Internet then I would say workplace/school for example. I'm sure certain employers in U.S. didn't 'gauge' one's personality via, say, MBTI.

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    well its not like i'd restrict him from learning about it. that would be silly. i just don't see any reason to tell him about it. and if he discovered it on his own i'd hope its just a short phase lol.
    Fair enough. Wouldn't initiate it as well.
    Last edited by Absurd; 04-03-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

well its not like i'd restrict him from learning about it. that would be silly. i just don't see any reason to tell him about it. and if he discovered it on his own i'd hope its just a short phase lol.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I wouldn't show it to them until they reached at least their early teens. Then I'd let them decide for themselves if they want to take it seriously or not.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would force it down my kids throats and insinuate that characteristics of people in their own quadra are "cool" and "edgy".
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but certainly not this forum, because most of it is crap.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

only if they misbehave

"did you tie the poor cat to the sprinkler again? now you have to read profiles by Stratievskaya"

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I wouldn't go into detail with it unless they specifically requested it (and if they did I may be inclined to direct them to someone else for a more accurate explanation), but I expect it would be part of casual conversation. While normal parents may say, "Oh, you have a new friend. Do you like to play the same games?" I might say, "Oh, you have a new friend. Do you think they might be in your quadra?" Of course, age is an issue and expecting a 4-year-old to type their friends is ridiculous considering how difficult it would be for Jung himself to accurately type a 4-year-old.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Of course, age is an issue and expecting a 4-year-old to type their friends is ridiculous considering how difficult it would be for Jung himself to accurately type a 4-year-old.
    I think 4-year-olds can be typed. But of course you have to be an adult to do it. I've typed my sisters children when they were around 4. They are SEE, ESE and SEI.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wrote a wall-of-shit and then I deleted it, suddenly realizing my answer is definitely "No". I wouldn't mind suggesting psychological types to someone who was philosophically inclined though.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd teach them that people come at things from different angles and there are some parts to their character that don't easily change and you gotta take that in account when dealing with them and not insist too much on them changing at their core.

i'd probably mention some adjectives that personalities can be described in without systemizing it rigidly. i'd describe the paradox of how personality opposites can in different cases both repel and attract. stimulating them to freely think about personalities seems like a helpful and fairly harmless activity.

if there's any personality system i'm inclined to teach them about explicitly it's the Big 5 and the academic research surrounding it.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

probably not. if they found such things on their own, I would caution them against taking it too seriously.

TIM
    EII 4w5
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And have them think I'm their conflictor each time I scold them for something? No thanks. Too much potential for typecasting and expectations of fixed patterns of behavior that aren't actually based on reality. No need to overdiagnose similarities or differences based on theory where none may actually exist.

If they pick up an interest in it on their own, that's fine, but I'm not going to teach them about it.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't teach them socionics as if it was some kind of religion or philosophy. If I get the impression that they are interested in psychology or personality tests, I might tell them about it (not without mentioning that it shouldn't be taken too seriously). And if they like it, I'd tell them all I know.

I still have a positive impression of socionics even if it only serves as a kind of intellectual playground rather than a practical guide for everyday life.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yes, I would teach them how to type early on and suggest a variety of relationships so that my kids are better attuned as to why they gravitate to certain interactions, in certain social environments and encourage them to make choices in certain situations, for example if they needed a benefit for certain times, I would love to discuss with them their options in that area.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have some wonderful discussions with my children on this subject, especially with my 23 year old daughter. Today alone we have texted one another 8 times on the subject.
    My son has learnt so much that he was asked recently by his workplace to run some training sessions within his team in the areas of Socionics and Myers Briggs typologies.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Socionics is a good tool to have. As with every tool, you should use it as it's meant to be used for it's optimal effectiveness.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 04-06-2013 at 02:31 AM.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. Not gonna do it.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I think the knowledge of typology is very high in the United States. It is like taught almost universality at the university level in America, so basically it's impossible to avoid eventually if your child is somewhat educated.

Temperament's been around since classical greek philosophy, Freud/Jung are taught almost universally in intro to psychology at the high school level or university level.

Temperament is basically something that is totally accepted in psychology, and with the discovery of the COMT gene, I think there is going to some major advancements in this topic, because I think the COMT gene is pretty significant to personality.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/ma...anted=all&_r=0

It could be very valid that certain many basic traits can be determined by a small set of genes.

Regardless of whether or not COMT gene relevant to Temperament or socionics, let's not forget that genetics is typology but at a granular scale.

TIM
    LII-H
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If/when I believed they were prepared to understand and apply it responsibly, and they were interested, I would.
    Valued | Devalued
    < | < | Conscious
    < | < | Unconscious

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like hkky said, they are likely to encounter it anyway eventually. I have pointed out some basic stuff about typology or temperament to my son, but in a very roundabout way, to (I hope) make him feel more at ease. For example, some people in his life, from his pov, were at one time making him feel like it was unacceptable to express his emotions, and I explained to him that it is not his fault and that some people are less comfortable than others with outwardly shown emotions. Or I told him that a certain grownup he was asking about is "shy" and might like something about him but not tell him so directly. Stuff like that--generalities, pointing out differences and making it clear that these differences are just a part of life and we can learn to be okay with that.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Nah, probably give it a miss.

TIM
    ILE, E5 so/sx, INTP
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll just tell them to run away from anything written by an author named "Maritsa"
    ILE; INTP
    5w6 so; rcUe|I|;

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

LOL pht...

Um... Socionics has been instrumental in encouraging me to come out of the typical instinctive EII mode; I watch other EII and their shortcomings and especially observe their inability to recognize and verbally express some of their traits (because some of the things we do is subconscious) and my understanding of myself and why/how I do things which are more vocally expressive than a typical EII who tends to be more of a feeling reaction and I thank god that through words I'm able to better express my feelings and reactions, their causes, their results and because of this I'm a more honest person; not honest in the sense of intention but honest in the sense of knowing and understanding not just reacting and expecting everything around me to fall my way. I'm less selfish, much more able to use my gift, my traits for the purpose it was made for. If nature made an EII, Socionics has given me the tools to express this person.
    -