Thread: Erich Fromms Personality Test

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't expect that

You Scored as ExploitativeYou are probably the "Exploitative" character. The exploitative character manipulates others to get his way. These people love to lead, and sometimes disdain those that they feel are below them. Exploitative people are confident in their image and tend to support authority - as long as it works for them.

Exploitative
    65%
    Marketing
    55%
    Hoarding
    50%
    Receptive
    40%
    Productive
    40%
    Necrophilous
    25%

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to take both of those tests, but they never calculated the results for me.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, here are the threads I made about Erich Fromm...

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...-and-Character

'I associated the Receptive Orientation (Accepting) with the "phlegmatic" temperament, the IP Temperament, and the Delta quadra. I associated the Exploitative Orientation (Taking) with the "choleric" temperament, the EJ Temperament, and the Beta quadra. I associated the Hoarding Orientation (Preserving) with the "melancholic" temperament, the IJ Temperament, and the Gamma quadra. I associated the Marketing Orientation (Exchanging) with the "sanguine" temperament, the EP Temperament, and the Alpha quadra.'

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...82-Erich-Fromm
    Last edited by HERO; 06-26-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You Scored as Marketing

Marketing
    85%
    Necrophilous
    60%
    Productive
    55%
    Hoarding
    55%
    Exploitative
    40%
    Receptive
    30%

okay...

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marketing 55%
    Productive 45%
    Hoarding 30%
    Receptive 30%
    Necrophilous 25%
    Exploitative 25%

You Scored as Marketing
    You are probably a "Marketing" character. The marketing character is marked by an extreme desire to fit norms created by family, society, and culture. They are fashionable, dynamic and willing to compromise more than any of the other characters. They often find that morals impede on their lifestyle and goals and are often unprincipled. The marketing character will always look for a way to change himself before demanding social change.

The bolded parts really miss, but I guess there is a tendency to see the fraction of truth and/or usability in status quo and possibly accepting it for lack of ability to improve the fraction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Productive

You are a "Productive" character. This is the "man without a mask," the person who goes about life with little need for possessions, social status, or exterior authority. The productive person is able to reach out to others and love them without condition. To this person, morality is objective and all people are equals. Productive people know that their possessions are unimportant, and that life, love and freedom are underappreciated. Productive people are often the great humanist revolutionaries, whose ideas and actions inspire others. Their idealism is sometimes viewed as a vice.

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Ath
    You Scored as Receptive
    You are probably a "Receptive" individual. These people tend to expect things which they desire to come to them and rarely feel confidant in their own abilities. The receptive character is usually very quiet, and finds it hard to make his or her own decisions, relying on the input of others.

Receptive
    80%
    Marketing
    60%
    Exploitative
    45%
    Productive
    30%
    Necrophilous
    30%
    Hoarding
    25%

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Jesus I'm becoming a woman

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You Scored as Exploitative

You are probably the "Exploitative" character. The exploitative character manipulates others to get his way. These people love to lead, and sometimes disdain those that they feel are below them. Exploitative people are confident in their image and tend to support authority - as long as it works for them.

Exploitative
    60%
    Productive
    55%
    Receptive
    50%
    Hoarding
    40%
    Marketing
    40%
    Necrophilous
    0%

I don't think it's wrong to "manipulate" people if you aren't deceptive, forceful, or harmful. It's important to be considerate of others. Is that exploitative?

TIM
    NeILE ENTP 9w8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RECEPTIVE = 40
    EXPLOITATIVE = 32
    HOARDING = 34
    MARKETING = 43
    PRODUCTIVE = 41

As usual, pretty balanced and close scoring.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

You are probably the "Exploitative" character. The exploitative character manipulates others to get his way. These people love to lead, and sometimes disdain those that they feel are below them. Exploitative people are confident in their image and tend to support authority - as long as it works for them.

Exploitative: 55%
    Receptive: 50%
    Hoarding: 40%
    Necrophilous: 30%
    Productive: 25%

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

These tests are too long!

In short: ILE & Aquarian therefore weird idiot
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    These tests are too long!

In short: ILE & Aquarian therefore weird idiot
    hah
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You Scored as MarketingYou are probably a "Marketing" character. The marketing character is marked by an extreme desire to fit norms created by family, society, and culture. They are fashionable, dynamic and willing to compromise smore than any of the other characters. They often find that morals impede on their lifestyle and goals and are often unprincipled. The marketing character will always look for a way to change himself before demanding social change.

TIM
    IEE-2Ne
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    it's so pretty type
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine was fitting...
    You Scored as Productive

You are a "Productive" character. This is the "man without a mask," the person who goes about life with little need for possessions, social status, or exterior authority. The productive person is able to reach out to others and love them without condition. To this person, morality is objective and all people are equals. Productive people know that their possessions are unimportant, and that life, love and freedom are underappreciated. Productive people are often the great humanist revolutionaries, whose ideas and actions inspire others. Their idealism is sometimes viewed as a vice.

Productive
    70%
    Receptive
    65%
    Marketing
    65%
    Exploitative
    55%
    Hoarding
    45%
    Necrophilous
    25%

TIM
    EII 4w5
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You Scored as Necrophilous
    You are likely a "Necrophilous" character.<br><br> Necrophiles do not take pleasure in lively things: sometimes they find joy in inflicting pain on other people and creatures. Many Necrophiles find themselves drawn to the military, and believe that violence is necessary. The necrophile finds little to love in life and finds subjective or nihilist philosophies very appealing.

Necrophilous
    60%
    Receptive
    49%
    Hoarding
    46%
    Marketing
    46%
    Exploitative
    43%
    Productive
    31%

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Ath's request,

Receptive 70%
    Hoarding 65%
    Exploitative 65%
    Productive 60%
    Marketing 45%
    Necrophilous 30%

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    I don't really understand the test. But np, here you go @Ath

Exploitative 65%
    Necrophilous 60%
    Marketing 50%
    Receptive 50%
    Hoarding 25%
    Productive 15%
    Ah yes producivity, your least common trait.

I'm not taking it, I imagine i would have receptive, then maybe marketing...but idk.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    Fe-INFp 6w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You Scored as Marketing
    You are probably a "Marketing" character. The marketing character is marked by an extreme desire to fit norms created by family, society, and culture. They are fashionable, dynamic and willing to compromise smore than any of the other characters. They often find that morals impede on their lifestyle and goals and are often unprincipled. The marketing character will always look for a way to change himself before demanding social change.

Marketing 80%
    Hoarding 60%
    Exploitative 50%
    Necrophilious 35%
    Productive 35%
    Receptive 20%

On the second test:
    RECEPTIVE = 45
    EXPLOITATIVE = 46
    HOARDING = 31
    MARKETING = 44
    PRODUCTIVE = 37

And on the third:
    Marketing = 69%
    Exploitative = 66%
    Necrophilous = 63%
    Receptive = 57%
    Productive = 54%
    Hoarding = 51%

I actually identify a bit more with how hoarding is described than the last two tests might show. The rigidity and orderliness doesn't match me at all, but the suspicion and desire to hoard what they have does. I identify with that completely. When I have something important to me, I'm usually vigilant towards anyone possibly snatching it. In other words, I get jealous and paranoid way too easily.

Marketing does fit me best, but it's more born out of insecurity than anything else; I usually don't feel like I fit in, but I don't want to be shunned or feel awkward. I also really don't identify with changing myself before demanding change to the outside world, that seems like it just defeats the whole purpose of being accepted. I'll go along with other people, but I don't really change anything inside me. I'm more likely to go "society needs to change!" than anything.

I also don't really think receptive should be last, people often steamroll over me. I also often feel pretty un-confident and self-conscious without a bit of feedback, though empty reassurance never helps.
    Last edited by Strangelove; 11-14-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Elaborated a bit

TIM
    IEI-Fe e4 458 Sx
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For Ath

Receptive
    50%
    Exploitative
    50%
    Marketing
    50%
    Hoarding
    45%
    Productive
    40%
    Necrophilous
    30%
    "Use every ounce of potential you have, raise revolution against what people expect of you, and tell the world this is not a rehearsal. This is the real me. And listen up, ‘cause it could be the most honest incarnation yet."

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You Scored as Receptive
    You are probably a "Receptive" individual. These people tend to expect things which they desire to come to them and rarely feel confidant in their own abilities*. The receptive character is usually very quiet, and finds it hard to make his or her own decisions, relying on the input of others.

Receptive - 65%
    Productive - 60%
    Hoarding - 60%
    Exploitative - 45%
    Marketing - 30%
    Necrophilous - 20%

12 to 24 are low
    25 to 36 low medium
    37 to 48 high medium
    49 to 60 high.

[*.. except I do feel confident of my abilities....]

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

@zap I thought I took this before. I take way too many quizzes to keep up anymore.

Scored highest in these two. The spelling on the website, well... they aren't very detail oriented. I had to fight the urge to correct it before posting.

Marketing orientation: The marketing orientation describes the mindset in which a man perpetally molds himself into society's image in order to fit the expected norms of society. He sees the world as a marketplace, where new symbolizes good and desirous, wheras old becomes ugly and useless to him. Fromm described this mindset as saying, "new is beautiful," as opposed to the historical mindset which has been one of keeping and maintaining possessions for later, commodity - oriented use: "old is beautiful."
    Marketing characters exhibit signs of extreme conformity and solve their problems as if they were simply manifestations of the market. These people look for mates as commodities to be scrutinized for positive traits which may have little to do with love, and create barriers between themselves and others defined by abstractions such as religiosity, monetary value and social status. Families which own or manage businesses or encourage conformity and a scholastic focus on the job market - that is, most families in industirialized nations today - tend to create marketing characters. This personality, Fromm said, only started to emerge with contemporary society and its focus on marketability.

Productive orientation: This is, to fromm, the "man without a mask." He has found a legitimate solution to life, and that is to learn to contintually relate and become one with the world and its dilemmas, thus solving the problem of his disassociation from nature and his knowledge of the self. He also draws a relation to his "spontaneous" character which he described in "Escape from Freedom," who is not chained by the artificial and unrealistic compulsions of social domination, but finds himself rationally and personally responding to problems. This character has managed to escape the confines of dogmatic, staic ideology and finds his ideas continually challenged and is not afraid to change them. By becoming one with his ideas, their health becomes more relevant, and he no longer feels as if they are a static possession, but a tool that if seen to be false must be revised. The productive individual has also learned to love truly; while other personalities find awys to escape love and distance themselves, the productive man has no fear of accepting things and peopel for who they are and loving them accordingly. He recognizes that to love one person you must love all, because the essential nature of man is by and large universal; if one loves a person for not being racist and they wake up tomorrow, has that love truly been real?
    The productive man is also the man of the future; in Fromm's eye's he is Marx's new man. Because he can become one with the external world and his fellow man, he finds relating to others and relieving alienation a simple process that simply follows in his nature. By calling him the "man without a mask," Fromm is in fact saying that at heart we are all socialists, or even communists!

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zap View Post
    Actually Aylen, I only gave u the link so u could read it for insight into your mom. However, I don't mind seeing this topic bumped at all, considering its part of my investigation. A quick search thru my HDD didn't find any of your data from this test. Anyway there might be a correlation between necrophilous & NPA's PA type... jessica & k0rpsy are both, & other than that it makes sense structurally for there to be some correlation.
    My results seem a little contradictory???

Productive was 2 points higher.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my results:

You scored as Receptive

You are probably a “Receptive” individual. These people tend to expect things which they desire to come to them and rarely feel confidant in their own abilities. The receptive character is usually very quiet, and finds it hard to make his or her own decisions, relying on the input of others.

Receptive: 65%
    Marketing: 60%
    Exploitative: 55%
    Productive: 55%
    Necrophilous: 45%
    Hoarding: 45%

Fromm’s Orientation Test Results

RECEPTIVE = 45
    MARKETING = 34
    HOARDING = 34
    PRODUCTIVE = 33
    EXPLOITATIVE = 26

Scores from 37 to 48 are high medium
    Scores from 25 to 36 are low medium

- from Please Understand Me II by David Keirsey; p. 35: [Erich] Fromm had many names for the Artisans [XSXp’s], but he emphasized one of the negative traits that he attributed to them—exploitativeness. Fromm’s term ‘Exploiters’ looks forward to Myers’s notion that Artisans are opportunists, ever on the lookout for advantages or payoffs. On the positive side of temperament Fromm saw Plato’s Artisans as “active,” “initiators,” “claiming,” “proud,” “impulsive,” “self-confident,” and “captivating.”

- pp. 77-78: [Fromm] called the Guardians [XSXj’s] the “Hoarding” type . . . he praised them for their steadfastness and for being “careful,” “cautious,” “composed,” “economical,” “imperturbable,” “loyal,” “methodical,” “orderly,” “patient,” “practical,” and “reserved.”

- p. 120: . . . Fromm examined both sides of personality, the negative as well as positive character traits. When he termed the Idealists [XNFx’s] “Receptive” he considered being a passive recipient of goods and services as bad. But he also praised this type for their responsiveness and other desirable traits, describing them as “accepting,” “adaptable,” “adjusted,” “charming,” “devoted,” “idealistic,” “modest,” “optimistic,” “polite,” “responsive,” “sensitive,” “sentimental,” “tender,” and “trusting.”

- p. 164: Fromm considered the Rationals [XNTx’s] to be “Marketers” . . . he lauded them for their efficiency and other desirable traits. Thus in his view Rationals [XNTx’s] are not only “efficient,” they are also “adaptable,” “curious,” “experimental,” “farseeing,” “flexible,” “generous,” “intelligent,” “open-minded,” “purposeful,” “sociable,” “tolerant,” “undogmatic,” “witty,” and “youthful.”

IMO

Marketing = EXXp (temperament) and/or Alpha and/or XNTx [ENTp, INTj, ENTj, INTp] and/or Creative subtype (DCNH)

Exploitative = EXXj (temperament) and/or Beta and/or XSXp [ESTp, ESFp, ISTp, ISFp] and/or Dominant subtype (DCNH)

Hoarding = IXXj (temperament) and/or Gamma and/or XSXj [ISFj, ISTj, ESTj, ESFj] and/or Normalizing subtype (DCNH)

Receptive = IXXp (temperament) and/or Delta and/or XNFx [INFp, ENFp, INFj, ENFj] and/or Harmonizing subtype (DCNH)

- pp. 120-121 (Erich Fromm's Man for Himself):

RECEPTIVE ORIENTATION (ACCEPTING)

Positive aspect........................Negative aspect

accepting ...............................passive, without initiative
    responsive ............................opinionless, characterless
    devoted ................................submissive
    modest .................................without pride
    charming ..............................parasitical
    adaptable .............................unprincipled
    socially adjusted ...................servile, without self-confidence
    idealistic ..............................unrealistic
    sensitive ..............................cowardly
    polite ...................................spineless
    optimistic ..............................wishful thinking
    trusting ................................ gullible
    tender ...................................sentimental

EXPLOITATIVE ORIENTATION (TAKING)

Positive aspect................................Negative aspect

active ............................................ exploitative
    able to take initiative ......................aggressive
    able to make claims ........................egocentric
    proud ............................................. conceited
    impulsive ........................................rash
    self-confident ..................................arrogant
    captivating ......................................seducing

HOARDING ORIENTATION (PRESERVING)

Positive aspect...................................Negative aspect

practical ........................................... unimaginative
    economical .......................................stingy
    careful ............................................. suspicious
    reserved ..........................................cold
    patient ............................................. lethargic
    cautious ...........................................anxious
    steadfast, tenacious ..........................stubborn
    imperturbable ...................................indolent
    composed under stress ......................inert
    orderly ............................................. pedantic
    methodical .......................................obsessional
    loyal ................................................ possessive

MARKETING ORIENTATION (EXCHANGING)

Positive Aspect...................................Negative Aspect

purposeful ......................................... opportunistic
    able to change ...................................inconsistent
    youthful ............................................ childish
    forward-looking .................................without a future or a past
    open-minded .....................................without principle and values
    social ................................................ unable to be alone
    experimenting ................................... aimless
    undogmatic ....................................... relativistic
    efficient ............................................ overactive
    curious ............................................. tactless
    intelligent ......................................... intellectualistic
    adaptable .......................................... undiscriminating
    tolerant .......................................... indifferent
    witty ................................................ silly
    generous ........................................... wasteful

Here are some more detailed descriptions.

- pp. 70-71 (Man for Himself by Erich Fromm):

(a) The Receptive Orientation

In the receptive orientation a person feels "the source of all good" to be outside, and he believes that the only way to get what he wants--be it something material, be it affection, love, knowledge, pleasure--is to receive it from that outside source. In this orientation the problem of love is almost exclusively that of "being loved" and not that of loving. Such people tend to be indiscriminate in the choice of their love objects, because being loved by anybody is such an overwhelming experience for them that they "fall for" anybody who gives them love or what looks like love. They are exceedingly sensitive to any withdrawal or rebuff they experience on the part of the loved person. Their orientation is the same in the sphere of thinking: if intelligent, they make the best listeners, since their orientation is one of receiving, not of producing, ideas; left to themselves, they feel paralyzed. It is characteristic of these people that their first thought is to find somebody else to give them needed information rather than to make even the smallest effort of their own. If religious, these persons have a concept of God in which they expect everything from God and nothing from their own activity. If not religious, their relationship to persons or institutions is very much the same; they are always in search of a "magic helper." They show a particular kind of loyalty, at the bottom of which is the gratitude for the hand that feeds them and the fear of ever losing it. Since they need many hands to feel secure, they have to be loyal to numerous people. It is difficult for them to say "no," and they are easily caught between conflicting loyalties and promises. Since they cannot say "no," they love to say "yes" to everything and everybody, and the resulting paralysis of their critical abilities makes them increasingly dependent on others.

They are dependent not only on authorities for knowledge and help but on people in general for any kind of support. They feel lost when alone because they feel that they cannot do anything without help. This helplessness is especially important with regard to those acts which by their very nature can only be done alone--making decisions and taking responsibility. In personal relationships, for instance, they ask advice from the very person with regard to whom they have to make a decision.

This receptive type has great fondness for food and drink. These persons tend to overcome anxiety and depression by eating or drinking. The mouth is an especially prominent feature, often the most expressive one; the lips tend to be open, as if in a state of continuous expectation of being fed. In their dreams, being fed is a frequent symbol of being loved; being starved, an expression of frustration or disappointment.

By and large, the outlook of people of this receptive orientation is optimistic and friendly; they have a certain confidence in life and its gifts, but they become anxious and distraught when their "source of supply" is threatened. They often have a genuine warmth and a wish to help others, but doing things for others also assumes the function of securing their favor.

- pp. 71-73:

(b) The Exploitative Orientation

The exploitative orientation, like the receptive, has as its basic premise the feeling that the source of all good is outside, that whatever one wants to get must be sought there, and that one cannot produce anything oneself. The difference between the two, however, is that the exploitative type does not expect to receive things from others as gifts, but to take them away from others by force or cunning. This orientation extends to all spheres of activity.

In the realm of love and affection these people tend to grab and steal. They feel attracted only to people whom they can take away from somebody else. Attractiveness to them is conditioned by a person's attachment to somebody else; they tend not to fall in love with an unattached person.

We find the same attitude with regard to thinking and intellectual pursuits. Such people will tend not to produce ideas but to steal them. This may be done directly in the form of plagiarism or more subtly by repeating in different phraseology the ideas voiced by others and insisting they are new and their own. It is a striking fact that frequently people with great intelligence proceed in this way, although if they relied on their own gifts they might well be able to have ideas of their own. The lack of original ideas or independent production in otherwise gifted people often has its explanation in this character orientation, rather than in any innate lack of originality. The same statement holds true with regard to their orientation to material things. Things which they can take away from others always seem better to them than anything they can produce themselves. They use and exploit anybody and anything from whom or from which they can squeeze something. Their motto is: "Stolen fruits are sweetest." Because they want to use and exploit people, they "love" those who, explicitly or implicitly, are promising objects of exploitation, and get "fed up" with persons whom they have squeezed out. An extreme example is the kleptomaniac who enjoys things only if he can steal them, although he has the money to buy them.

This orientation seems to be symbolized by the biting mouth which is often a prominent feature in such people. It is not a play upon words to point out that they often make "biting" remarks about others. Their attitude is colored by a mixture of hostility and manipulation. Everyone is an object of exploitation and is judged according to his usefulness. Instead of the confidence and optimism which characterizes the receptive type, one finds here suspicion and cynicism, envy and jealousy. Since they are satisfied only with things they can take away from others, they tend to overrate what others have and underrate what is theirs.

(c) The Hoarding Orientation

While the receptive and exploitative types are similar inasmuch as both expect to get things from the outside world, the hoarding orientation is essentially different. This orientation makes people have little faith in anything new they might get from the outside world; their security is based upon hoarding and saving, while spending is felt to be a threat. They have surrounded themselves, as it were, by a protective wall, and their main aim is to bring as much as possible into this fortified position and to let as little as possible out of it. Their miserliness refers to money and material things as well as to feelings and thoughts. Love is essentially a possession; they do not give love but try to get it by possessing the "beloved." The hoarding person often shows a particular kind of faithfulness toward people and even toward memories. Their sentimentality makes the past appear as golden; they hold on to it and indulge in the memories of bygone feelings and experiences. They know everything but are sterile and incapable of productive thinking.

One can recognize these people too by facial expressions and gestures. Theirs is the tight-lipped mouth; their gestures are characteristic of their withdrawn attitude. While those of the receptive type are inviting and round, as it were, and the gestures of the exploitative type are aggressive and pointed, those of the hoarding type are angular, as if they wanted to emphasize the frontiers between themselves and the outside world. Another characteristic element in this attitude is pedantic orderliness. The hoarder will be orderly with things, thoughts, or feelings, but again, as with memory, his orderliness is sterile and rigid. He cannot endure things out of place and will automatically rearrange them. To him the outside world threatens to break into his fortified position; orderliness signifies mastering the world outside by putting it, and keeping it, in its proper place in order to avoid the danger of intrusion. His compulsive cleanliness is another expression of his need to undo contact with the outside world. Things beyond his own frontiers are felt to be dangerous and "unclean"; he annuls the menacing contact by compulsive washing, similar to a religious washing ritual prescribed after contact with unclean things or people. Things have to be put not only in their proper place but also into their proper time; obsessive punctuality is characteristic of the hoarding type; it is another form of mastering the outside world. If the outside world is experienced as a threat to one's fortified position, obstinacy is a logical reaction. A constant "no" is the almost automatic defense against intrusion; sitting tight, the answer to the danger of being pushed. These people tend to feel that they possess only a fixed quantity of strength, energy, or mental capacity, and that this stock is diminished or exhausted by use and can never be replenished. They cannot understand the self-replenishing function of all living substance and that activity and the use of one's powers increase strength while stagnation paralyzes; to them, death and destruction have more reality than life and growth. The act of creation is a miracle of which they hear but in which they do not believe. Their highest values are order and security; their motto: "There is nothing new under the sun." In their relationship to others intimacy is a threat; either remoteness or possession of a person means security. The hoarder tends to be suspicious and to have a particular sense of justice which in effect says: "Mine is mine and yours is yours."

- pp. 117-118 [Man for Himself by Erich Fromm]: The marketing orientation is also based on detachment from others, but in contrast to the hoarding orientation, the detachment has a friendly rather than a destructive connotation. The whole principle of the marketing orientation implies easy contact, superficial attachment, and detachment from others only in a deeper emotional sense.

- p. 118: There is no person whose orientation is entirely productive, and no one who is completely lacking in productiveness.

I think Erich Fromm was ESI-Fi (Normalizing subtype) [ISFj-INTj or ISFj-INFj]
    Last edited by HERO; 07-15-2014 at 12:28 AM.

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RECEPTIVE = 44
    EXPLOITATIVE = 21
    HOARDING = 44
    MARKETING = 33
    PRODUCTIVE = 42

The other test isn't working.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

RECEPTIVE = 45
    EXPLOITATIVE = 27
    HOARDING = 42
    MARKETING = 39
    PRODUCTIVE = 46

Scores from 12 to 24 are low
    25 to 36 low medium
    37 to 48 high medium

Hmmm. I don't feel very productive.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/frommtest.html

RECEPTIVE = 51
    EXPLOITATIVE = 23
    HOARDING = 40
    MARKETING = 36
    PRODUCTIVE = 41
    25 to 36 low medium
    37 to 48 high medium
    and 49 to 60 high.

TIM
    RLOEI 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoarding.

RECEPTIVE = 33

EXPLOITATIVE = 30
    HOARDING = 43
    MARKETING = 37
    PRODUCTIVE = 37

Retake:

RECEPTIVE = 32
    EXPLOITATIVE = 30
    HOARDING = 41
    MARKETING = 36
    PRODUCTIVE = 38

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

RECEPTIVE = 34
    EXPLOITATIVE = 21
    HOARDING = 36
    MARKETING = 34
    PRODUCTIVE = 36
    25 to 36 low medium
    37 to 48 high medium
    and 49 to 60 high.

I think the only test link is working doesnt show necro in its results.

I'm going to add descriptions because older links don't work anymore.

Personality Orientations
    Erich Fromm described 6 major personality orientations: receptive, exploitative, hoarding, marketing, productive and necrophilous. The first four are pathological and self-destructive, while the fifth represents a positive and open personality. The last one is the lover of death, which opposes the rest: while all the others are attempts at defining and understanding life, necrophilia attempts to destroy life.

Receptive orientation: The receptive individual is characterized by a heavy lack of creativity. These people tend to expect things which they desire to come to them and rarely feel confidant in their own abilities. The receptive character is usually very quiet, and finds it hard to make his or her own decisions, relying on the input of others. Often, these people find themselves seeking a parental figure who may take care of them; they tend to be those children that never grew up.
    Families with an overbearing, controlling nature often produce people like this. Often the parents either make no attempt to teach their children how to mature, or the children are simply given everything they request without question. Poor, heavily controlled populations such as in feudal Europe can generate a lot of these people.

Exploitative orientation:The exploitative character manipulates others to get his way. These people love to lead, and sometimes disdain those that they feel are below them. Exploitative people are confident in their image and tend to support authority - as long as it works for them. To these people, taking from others is often more an end than the possession that is gained. Exploitative people have a hopeless alliance with their victims: they are at once enemies and at the same time the exploiter needs them and identifies his own person in relation to how he is able to manipulate the victim. These people hate themselves as much as those that they take advantage of. These people are the ruling class: by either necessity to maintain class or learned motive, they create a fantasy where they are more than one person, losing themselves in the process.

Hoarding orientation: The hoarding character views the world as possessions: people are possessed, ideas are possessed, love is possessed. This kind of person cannot bear losing these "possessions," and relates to them to such a degree that they are their possessions. The hoarder is a conservative: they cannot stand for their environment to be disturbed, and would rather have it be destroyed than become foreign. He cannot stand a lack of order, in the material organization of his life or in his punctuality. This personality finds release from his or her problems by hostility towards the problem or a gradual acceptance and loyalty to the problem. In making the world an object, the creative faulties of the person to relate to the world become irrelevant. In other words, the apparent lifelessness of the hoarder's world creates an atmosphere in which activity is either alienating or possessive and suspicious. "...to them, death and destruction have more reality than life and growth." Fromm describes their orientation as believing that "there is nothing new under the sun."(Man for Himself, Pg. 67)

Marketing orientation: The marketing orientation describes the mindset in which a man perpetally molds himself into society's image in order to fit the expected norms of society. He sees the world as a marketplace, where new symbolizes good and desirous, wheras old becomes ugly and useless to him. Fromm described this mindset as saying, "new is beautiful," as opposed to the historical mindset which has been one of keeping and maintaining possessions for later, commodity - oriented use: "old is beautiful."
    Marketing characters exhibit signs of extreme conformity and solve their problems as if they were simply manifestations of the market. These people look for mates as commodities to be scrutinized for positive traits which may have little to do with love, and create barriers between themselves and others defined by abstractions such as religiosity, monetary value and social status. Families which own or manage businesses or encourage conformity and a scholastic focus on the job market - that is, most families in industirialized nations today - tend to create marketing characters. This personality, Fromm said, only started to emerge with contemporary society and its focus on marketability.

Necrophilous orientation: This kind of person stands alone from the others in that he, instead of attempting to find a solution to life, seeks to destroy it. These people are often fascinated by death, and find war and destruction as not necessary, but desireable. These people have escaped entirely from the problem of man's seperation of nature and his knowledge of hisself. He points to the spanish general Millán Astray's motto, "Viva la Muerte!" and criticism by Miguel de Unamuno, describing the general's words as "a necrophilous and senseless cry." The necrophiliac not only responds to life with destruction, but experiences life itself as death. He sees the world as dead and inanimate, devoid of joyful prospects and fully hopeless. You will find the Necrophiliac speaking heavily in terms of feces, destruction and toilets (Fromm notes that "shit" has become a widespread term, but that it is easy enough to discern those who use in convention as opposed to those who use it due to necrophilic tendancies).(The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness, p.368)
    Another characteristic of the necrophiliac character is his mechanistic character. The necrophile finds more joy in mechanical, lifeless activity and entities than in living, dynamic entities. In this way there is much similarity to the Hoarding character; however, the difference remains that he is not simply a conservative, who wants to maintain the current order of his life and defend against the outside, living world, but seeks to destroy those external entities.

Productive orientation: This is, to fromm, the "man without a mask." He has found a legitimate solution to life, and that is to learn to contintually relate and become one with the world and its dilemmas, thus solving the problem of his disassociation from nature and his knowledge of the self. He also draws a relation to his "spontaneous" character which he described in "Escape from Freedom," who is not chained by the artificial and unrealistic compulsions of social domination, but finds himself rationally and personally responding to problems. This character has managed to escape the confines of dogmatic, staic ideology and finds his ideas continually challenged and is not afraid to change them. By becoming one with his ideas, their health becomes more relevant, and he no longer feels as if they are a static possession, but a tool that if seen to be false must be revised. The productive individual has also learned to love truly; while other personalities find awys to escape love and distance themselves, the productive man has no fear of accepting things and peopel for who they are and loving them accordingly. He recognizes that to love one person you must love all, because the essential nature of man is by and large universal; if one loves a person for not being racist and they wake up tomorrow, has that love truly been real?
    The productive man is also the man of the future; in Fromm's eye's he is Marx's new man. Because he can become one with the external world and his fellow man, he finds relating to others and relieving alienation a simple process that simply follows in his nature.

TIM
    female
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necrophilus OMEGALUL
    lezombbomb

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

RECEPTIVE = 33
    EXPLOITATIVE = 34
    HOARDING = 50
    MARKETING = 46
    PRODUCTIVE = 39

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

RECEPTIVE = 39
    EXPLOITATIVE = 41
    HOARDING = 28
    MARKETING = 48
    PRODUCTIVE = 39

25 to 36 low medium
    37 to 48 high medium
    and 49 to 60 high.
    Please do not take your scores too seriously: the reliability and validity of this test are unknown!
    This is presented only to give you a better sense of Fromm's orientations.
    Receptive score is the sum of column 1
    Exploitative score is the sum of column 2
    Hoarding score is the sum of column 3
    Marketing score is the sum of column 4
    Productive score is the sum of rows 1, 3, 5, 8, 10, and 12, divided by 2.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took the webspace test this time (and/or again):

RECEPTIVE = 41
    EXPLOITATIVE = 26
    HOARDING = 36
    MARKETING = 37
    PRODUCTIVE = 30

25 to 36 low medium
    37 to 48 high medium
    and 49 to 60 high

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RECEPTIVE = 40
    EXPLOITATIVE = 31
    HOARDING = 32
    MARKETING = 38
    PRODUCTIVE = 35

25 to 36 low medium
    37 to 48 high medium
    and 49 to 60 high.

Please do not take your scores too seriously: the reliability and validity of this test are unknown!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12