Thread: American stereotypes

TIM
    IEI-Fe 9w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default American stereotypes

Is everything wrapped in bacon? Will I get shot in the street?

What are some American stereotypes and is there any truth to them?
    I'm moving to america by the end of this year and I want to know what to expect

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lunarpine View Post

America is a rather big country. It depends on where you're moving within the country as to what you can expect.

TIM
    IEI-Fe 9w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    America is a rather big country. It depends on where you're moving within the country as to what you can expect.
    the thing is that I don't know where I'll end up yet, so my mind is open for anything

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God loving, loud mouthed, overweight, largely unintelligent and completely incapable of thinking for themselves; blind to the truth because of patriotism.

America - the greatest social experiment of our time.

/British view of Americans.

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

where i live (suburban midwest) you're very unlikely to get shot in the street and i've never been offered anything wrapped in bacon. lots of people are overweight. lots are of the loud religious-conservative persuasion but lots are also not, so its not exactly difficult to avoid that sort of thing. but i can only speak for here and what squark said was true.

i haven't traveled much so someone can correct me if i'm wrong but i think a lot of the embarrassing stereotypes are kinda centered in the bible belt in the south. the coasts are more progressive and the mid-north (midwest) is inbetween. speaking in very broad strokes of course.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

America is basically a degraded Europe. Similar to how various Asian countries are a degraded China. But Asia is like another planet, man.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the thing is that I don't know where I'll end up yet, so my mind is open for anything
    Okay, from my experience, I'll start on one coast and work towards the other.

My east coast experience is limited. I've spent some time in VA not far from DC, and abt a year in NC in Charlotte when I was a kid. Charlotte sucked, don't move there. Crime was high, we joked that the city motto should be, "A day late and a dollar short" because there was no urgency to anything, everything took forever and people completely half-assed it. The majority of the people there were very physically unhealthy, and we noticed a lot of plant mutations - probably not a great environment. Spent a week on Jekyll Island, GA which was nice, but long enough ago that I don't remember much except for finding cool shells on the beach. It seemed very peaceful and far more friendly than surrounding areas though if I remember correctly. VA towards the DC area is crowded, traffic sucks and the drivers are assholes. Very green, lots of plant life, somewhat humid. Virginia Beach is nice, but touristy. Annapolis, MD is a kind of interesting city, and I wouldn't mind exploring it some more. Can't say much as I was only there for a day. Once you get out of the city area of VA, and start heading towards Roanoke or the Shenandoah Mts, it becomes pretty. Spent a few days camping in Shenandoah Nat. park, and there are tons of deer, cool little waterfalls and stuff, all forested and very pretty. The surrounding area is long sweeps of green pasture mostly for horses.

Which brings me to a similar area of TN. From Nashville and heading south is similar to the horse area of VA in that there are long stretches of green rolling hills divided by white fences and primarily holding horses. Big houses and lots of space. You're in a very very bible area there though. Huge churches practically on every corner in Nashville, and you'll see a lot of people praying in public - before meals, before a baseball practice, it's just very common. Food is of the southern variety, where "tea" automatically means sweet iced tea with a ton of sugar, and they do add bacon to everything. Everything. Bacon in your vegetables, in your eggs, in your grits, anywhere you could think to add bacon, and a lot of places you wouldn't - it's there. Traffic in the area isn't bad, and the drivers are super polite. Mind-numbingly polite. People are very friendly, and you may have strangers just jump into the middle of a conversation you're having as though you've always been friends. They don't keep their distance, and act like everyone is part of a family. Can be disconcerting if taken unprepared. Leave Nashville and head to Memphis though, and you enter the asshole of TN. Crime is exceptionally high there, particularly murder. Stay out of Memphis.

Missouri is not a great place in general. Authoritarian police, stifled atmosphere, some cool areas but imo feeling suffocated and watched constantly isn't worth it. Gah, too many states to cover. I could describe MN and the Dakotas with a lot of detail, but you're unlikely to go there so on to the Rockies. . .

Rocky Mtn area (MT, WY, CO) the people will keep their distance from you. They are very independent, take care of themselves, and are also rather reluctant to extend a hand to anyone else. There are some very beautiful areas. Breathtaking. You'll be in awe. But, in between there is a lot of bare space. Empty, dry, high mountain desert, with only sagebrush and antelope. This region has the healthiest, most outdoorsy people in the states. You can't call them friendly - because they're not, and you might feel odd with the way people will stare at you in any new town, staring, watching, but saying nothing. Like curious but wary animals - checking you out and seeing if you're a threat or not. Food is rather non-descript for the most part, but you'll be more likely to find wild game on the menu here than in most places. If you like to be alone, and like outdoor activities like hiking, skiing, mountain climbing, and appreciate people leaving you alone - then you'll like the Rocky Mts. Politics are conservative (more fiscally than socially) except in some localized areas, but the conservatives lean more libertarian than toward strict bible-thumping authoritarianism.

Texas. . . there's enough other people here that will probably fill you in that I'm skipping this one.

Pacific Northwest (WA, OR, far north CA) Land of the deltas/some alphas. Lots of microbreweries, artisans and craftspeople of various sorts, liberal hippieish attitudes. Plenty of rain, not as much sun, lots of green, and fairly decent temps year-round. Interesting beaches with rocks and tide pools, some amazing areas (giant sequoias, etc.) pretty drives only the coast (but not for me. I HATE driving along the coast because so much of it is curve, trees, curve, trees, trees, trees, curve, trees - drives me mad) It's pretty, and it's interesting, but I feel like a foreigner among the people there. There's nothing wrong with them . . . I guess they're mostly nice and all, but I personally feel uncomfortable.

On to CA. San Fran - haven't been there enough times to give a lot of detail, but it's well-traveled, as in a lot of visitors from lots of different places, lots of tourists, and very multi-cultural. There are some cool things to see, and the atmosphere is one of an old port city. The cool old houses and buildings and all the travelers make it seem as though the city is stuck in time, as though you could look back in time 100 years and see the same bustling port. I stayed in an old hotel near the downtown area, and there were a lot of homeless people and some drug deals etc, but it wasn't violent. The people have a sort of detached quality, neither friendly nor hostile. People approached me some, making casual conversation, and one lady approached me to ask for help reading a map and finding directions someplace, but mostly people just carry on minding their own business. In some areas, right by the ocean, it gets VERY crowded and touristy, with sidewalk performers and lots of little shops. I hate when you're walking down a sidewalk and there are bodies all around you on all sides - I need SPACE. But, only one area we went was really bad like that. I spent one morning just walking by myself - several hours worth of walking, just looking around nowhere in particular, and there are quiet areas, and some places with really cool views. It has an interesting atmosphere, and I remember thinking early one morning that it's a good place to write. I mean, there's always something to observe, interesting details to notice, a rich setting and characters ready-made. The history, the architectural interest and details and styles, there's a lot there. It makes me think of those archaeological digs where they find multiple cities stacked on top of each other in one area, just building and rebuilding over time. It feels like that. Like the history is there under the surface, and the modern city has just been built on top of it. Don't know if I'm explaining well.

All right, Southern CA. Lived here a few years, have a ton of relatives here as it's where my mom and her siblings all grew up, and it's what people usually think of when they think of CA. Umm, someone else can describe it. I need to get going - just realized I spent more time on this than I intended. Hope it was helpful, or at least interesting.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    America is basically a degraded Europe.
    *Smack*...

TIM
    LII-H
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The theory of integral types might be of some use in preparing you for the psychological differences between cultures. Basically the idea is that groups of people large enough that people might not know one another personally, but use their common inclusion in the group as a basis for interaction tend to have a socionic type that defines the way information is naturally structured within that group, helping to provide a basis for people to get along smoothly. Note that this type doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the statistical distribution of the types of the members of the group, but rather the "default language" of the group. Most kinds of groups can be thought of this way, but for the moment nations are the groups of interest. The US seems to be LIE type, while England is more like LSE, Germany is LSI, while Japan, by consrast, is SLI. Interestingly "the west" seems the be rational while "the east" seems to be irrational. But I'm veering off topic, the US is LIE, so you're going to see more and less than you're used to from the UK. (according to this theory anyway. I should ask my sister who lives there if she agrees)
    Valued | Devalued
    < | < | Conscious
    < | < | Unconscious

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Alpha NT 5w4 so/sx
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tejing View Post
    The theory of integral types might be of some use in preparing you for the psychological differences between cultures. Basically the idea is that groups of people large enough that people might not know one another personally, but use their common inclusion in the group as a basis for interaction tend to have a socionic type that defines the way information is naturally structured within that group, helping to provide a basis for people to get along smoothly. Note that this type doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the statistical distribution of the types of the members of the group, but rather the "default language" of the group. Most kinds of groups can be thought of this way, but for the moment nations are the groups of interest. The US seems to be LIE type, while England is more like LSE, Germany is LSI, while Japan, by consrast, is SLI. Interestingly "the west" seems the be rational while "the east" seems to be irrational. But I'm veering off topic, the US is LIE, so you're going to see more and less than you're used to from the UK. (according to this theory anyway. I should ask my sister who lives there if she agrees)
    No.
    OPERATION POOPLAIR

Now conscripting, for more information come here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...48#post1003048

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Homeless men and women of various ethnic background yelling at passersby in languages as of late untranslated by modern man, defecating in alleyways and laughing so hard the alcohol on their breath causes local vegetation to wilt.
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every single state is different and so is every city and every town and every neighboorhood. Some you have a higher probability of getting shot at and some not, just learn where the bad areas are and don't go there. I dunno, I notice the U.S is a lot less friendlier and a lot more fast paced and rude and loud and dumb in comparison to other countries.

And be prepared to see an abundance of fat people. Everywhere.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)