Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: The band, RUSH and their Intertype Relations

  1. #1
    mikesilb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default The band, RUSH and their Intertype Relations

    One of my friends referred me to this particular socionics.com article, regarding Mirror types relations. Even though I am admittedly not a large fan of the socionics.com website, I found something really peculiar pertaining to the quote below (and especially, the bolded region):

    Mirror partners are often very good friends. When they work together on the same project, their mutual correction and adjustment becomes a constructive criticism that is usually accepted as useful. The main discomfort in these relations is caused by the difference in Judgement and Perception between the partners. Mirror partners generally agree about setting near future goals, but disagree about global aims. Mirror relations usually lack warm atmosphere between partners. This situation normally changes in presence of a third person who is Dual to one partner and an Activity partner to the other.
    The rock band RUSH (i.e., the three guys in my avatar) fits entirely the bolded region of the quote. They are a triad of extremely talented musicians who are all absolutely part of the alpha quadra. Now, here's the thing: I am pretty definite on two of the three type members (who play the role of Mirrors in this three person arrangement). What I want to know is the role/type of the third person with relationship to the two Mirror members.

    1) Geddy Lee (center in my avatar) is the lead vocalist and bassist of the band. He is very clearly an ILE, and I strongly think that he has some rational subtype (for now, let's just say for argument's sake).

    2) Neil Peart (left in my avatar) is the drummer and lyricist of the band. His nickname is 'The Professor' due to his highly articulate and brainy vibe, yet somewhat emotionally detached member of the band. Definitely an LII. Subtype unsure although my guess is due to his worldly exposure to a wide range of ideas (without actually being an ILE).

    3) Now, the third member, Alex Lifeson (right in my avatar) who is the band's guitarist is a likely alpha SF. In this regard, he will either be Geddy's Dual or Neil's Dual. The question is: Which one is he?

    Taking an initial stab at this, my initial guess is that Geddy and Alex are Activation partners, and hence Neil and Alex are Duals. My reasoning for this is that since they are more 'up-front' in terms of a) their availability for interviews (more than Neil), b) their location at stage right and stage left (respectively) while Neil is slightly more in the background behind his large drumkit, and c) their combined role in laying out the music (while Neil does the lyrics and drums).

    I don't think that this is sufficient evidence to confirm the Geddy-Alex Activation and the Neil-Alex Duality. So I would like to get something a bit more substantial to support or refute this.

    So in a nutshell, is Alex an ESE or a SEI? How does all this fit together? What do you think?
    Last edited by mikesilb; 03-18-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    Mike
    Enneagram: 6w7 so/sx (Tritype: 6w7/9w1/2w3 or 6w7/9w1/3w2)

  2. #2
    Local Hero Saberstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Isle of Man
    TIM
    Robespierre
    Posts
    2,064
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Drats. I do not follow Rush...
     
    God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
    - John Piper


    Socionics -
    the16types.info

  3. #3
    mikesilb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    OK let's start with a few videos...

    Mike
    Enneagram: 6w7 so/sx (Tritype: 6w7/9w1/2w3 or 6w7/9w1/3w2)

  4. #4
    Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,782
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesilb View Post
    ...while Neil is slightly more in the background behind his large drumkit...
    I'm not sure, but something inside tells me this is not type related and that there are other explanations why drummers are in the background behind their drum kits.
    The future of Socionics:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Many black Americans are SEE type.

  5. #5
    mikesilb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    I'm not sure, but something inside tells me this is not type related and that there are other explanations why drummers are in the background behind their drum kits.
    Obviously that alone has nothing to do with determining whether he's an introvert or not. He is an introvert because of things that he does away from his drum kit, not because of the way that the instruments are arranged.
    Mike
    Enneagram: 6w7 so/sx (Tritype: 6w7/9w1/2w3 or 6w7/9w1/3w2)

  6. #6
    Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,782
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesilb View Post
    Obviously that alone has nothing to do with determining whether he's an introvert or not. He is an introvert because of things that he does away from his drum kit, not because of the way that the instruments are arranged.
    So, why are you bringing it up then?
    The future of Socionics:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Many black Americans are SEE type.

  7. #7
    mikesilb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    So, why are you bringing it up then?
    I am bringing up the fact that RUSH fits the description of the quote from the other website and while I feel clear on Geddy and Neil's type, I'm not 100% clear as to Alex's type (other than being an alpha SF). So I'm curious whether he is ESE or SEI and how that typing fits in how he matches with Geddy's type and Neil's type. It's a classic intertype relations' question.
    Mike
    Enneagram: 6w7 so/sx (Tritype: 6w7/9w1/2w3 or 6w7/9w1/3w2)

  8. #8
    Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,782
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesilb View Post
    I am bringing up the fact that RUSH fits the description of the quote from the other website and while I feel clear on Geddy and Neil's type, I'm not 100% clear as to Alex's type (other than being an alpha SF). So I'm curious whether he is ESE or SEI and how that typing fits in how he matches with Geddy's type and Neil's type. It's a classic intertype relations' question.
    That is not an answer to my question. I quote:

    "...my initial guess is that Geddy and Alex are Activation partners, and hence Neil and Alex are Duals. My reasoning for this is that ... b) their location at stage right and stage left (respectively) while Neil is slightly more in the background behind his large drumkit..."

    To me it seems that their positions on stage, is used by you as one of the reasons why "Geddy and Alex are Activation partners, and hence Neil and Alex are Duals".
    The future of Socionics:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Many black Americans are SEE type.

  9. #9
    mikesilb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    That is not an answer to my question. I quote:

    "...my initial guess is that Geddy and Alex are Activation partners, and hence Neil and Alex are Duals. My reasoning for this is that ... b) their location at stage right and stage left (respectively) while Neil is slightly more in the background behind his large drumkit..."

    To me it seems that their positions on stage, is used by you as one of the reasons why "Geddy and Alex are Activation partners, and hence Neil and Alex are Duals".
    You know and I know that the explanation is weak...and I am interested in much more substantial evidence and to an even larger extent, much more substantial discussion in general . Why do you feel the need to pick and probe on a minor detail? Is hijacking threads your honest to goodness pleasure?
    Mike
    Enneagram: 6w7 so/sx (Tritype: 6w7/9w1/2w3 or 6w7/9w1/3w2)

  10. #10
    Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,782
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesilb View Post
    You know and I know that the explanation is weak...and I am interested in much more substantial evidence and to an even larger extent, much more substantial discussion in general . Why do you feel the need to pick and probe on a minor detail? Is hijacking threads your honest to goodness pleasure?
    I was just asking a question, to which you did not respond. And you still don't, you are trying to turns things around by accusing me of picking and probing on a minor detail and hijacking the thread, instead of taking responsibility (in whatever fashion) for what you wrote.
    The future of Socionics:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Many black Americans are SEE type.

  11. #11
    mikesilb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    I was just asking a question, to which you did not respond. And you still don't, you are trying to turns things around by accusing me of picking and probing on a minor detail and hijacking the thread, instead of taking responsibility (in whatever fashion) for what you wrote.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesilb
    You know and I know that the explanation is weak...and I am interested in much more substantial evidence and to an even larger extent, much more substantial discussion in general . Why do you feel the need to pick and probe on a minor detail? Is hijacking threads your honest to goodness pleasure?
    I find the bolded statement (of mine) to be a perfectly 'responsible' response to make. The explanation is weak....weak, weak, weak! How much more do you want out of me?

    I completely and objectively stated what I thought wasn't good enough and what I thought needed more. This totally responded to what you requested.

    Now, why don't you respond to anything that actually pertains to this thread?

    I mean, could you name the most popular album coming from this band? How about even 4-5 songs from that album? Or what tour was this entire album played live?

    Let's talk substance instead of nitpicking or hijacking!
    Mike
    Enneagram: 6w7 so/sx (Tritype: 6w7/9w1/2w3 or 6w7/9w1/3w2)

  12. #12
    Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,782
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesilb View Post
    I find the bolded statement (of mine) to be a perfectly 'responsible' response to make. The explanation is weak....weak, weak, weak! How much more do you want out of me?

    I completely and objectively stated what I thought wasn't good enough and what I thought needed more. This totally responded to what you requested.

    Now, why don't you respond to anything that actually pertains to this thread?

    I mean, could you name the most popular album coming from this band? How about even 4-5 songs from that album? Or what tour was this entire album played live?

    Let's talk substance instead of nitpicking or hijacking!
    I can respond to this thread in any way I like. As far as Rush is concerned, I'm a fan of theirs since the late 70ties. I bet you weren't even born then.
    The future of Socionics:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Many black Americans are SEE type.

  13. #13
    mikesilb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    I'm a fan of theirs since the late 70ties. I bet you weren't even born then.
    Incorrect!
    Mike
    Enneagram: 6w7 so/sx (Tritype: 6w7/9w1/2w3 or 6w7/9w1/3w2)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •