Thread: what is the deal with this phenomenon?

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default what is the deal with this phenomenon?

this is sort of a boring question but it's been tickling the back of my brain for days & i don't even know what sort of keywords i would use to google something like this.

so there are a lot of those games where you pop bubbles or line up squares or something like that. i was sort of addicted to zuma for awhile and now its 7x7. whenever that happens, i see the patterns playing themselves out in my head even when i'm not playing. i lie down to sleep at night and i have trouble drifting off because i see little red squares lined up against little blue squares and i'm moving them around and lining them line up or disappear or watching little green bubbles pop as more bubbles come out. the other night i forced the images out of my head and as i was drifting to sleep i noticed i was dreaming of bright yellow pineapples crushing against bright red apples. it just wouldn't go away.

i'm assuming this isn't just me that it happens to (i hope not lol). is it an instinctive mechanism to help with learning? does it actually help you play better? or is it just mild ocd? aldfjkalsd. does it happen to you too?

cunnilingus epilepsy inducer
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This phenomena is pretty common for me when it comes to video games in general.

TIM
    IEI-Fe 9w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was still in school I went through a phase where I played a bit too much Tetris. All I could see whenever my teachers wrote something on the whiteboard was how the letters could fit together. I thought I was going crazy.

TIM
    Ni-IEI sx/sp
    Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

There have been studies done on this that show that dreaming aids in learning and problem solving: Naps and Dreams Boost Learning, Study Finds & Naps Clear the Mind, Help You Learn

During the study, 99 participants were taught to navigate a virtual maze on a computer screen. Half were then allowed to nap for two hours, while the other half remained awake. Later that day, all participants were re-tested on the maze task.

Those who reported dreaming about the maze significantly improved their performance. They did better than people who had slept, but did not dream. And better than those who stayed awake rehearsing the task in their minds. Specifically, the dreamers bettered their performance more than six times the improvements of all other participants.
    Back in school I used to study late into the night and then recall myself dreaming about the homework problems I was working on. I would wake up with solutions to them in the morning, then spend the rest of the day wondering how I ever got there, since the intermediate steps were lost somewhere within the dream.

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lol... I also used to dream about Tetris.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of my dreams are spatial fantasy-adventures of an original generation, so I don't understand why this doesn't happen more often with actually good video games like Silent Hill, Dark Souls and Zelda. Game dreams seem to stick with mathematical patterns and equations. It's annoying and makes sleep a nightmare, but luckily only happens in phases where my E5 brain is overtaking my day.
    Last edited by 717495; 03-15-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Creepy-male

Yes this happens, its natural. My dreams are also largely influenced by my environment, which is why its good to explore more so you don't end up dreaming the same shit over and over.

Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Hello Aiss.

Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I dream about solving algorithmic problems constantly, there's actually a couple couch in the office for that very reason...