Thread: Ne doms and Attention Deficit Disorder or ADD

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Ne doms and Attention Deficit Disorder or ADD

Has anyone noticed a tendency for Ne doms to have ADD?

I can think of four Ne doms that I know well that have all been diagnosed for ADD. Two ILE friends, my mom (IEE) and my stepmom (either ILE or IEE). Is this actually overactive Ne?

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol the only person I can think of that might have ADD is an SEE. Watching movies with him is borderline hilarious and borderline you want to strangle him with your shoe strings.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Imo, ExxPs might be more prone to having it than other types, but of course other types can have it too.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't all murican kids have ADD.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my friends in high school had ADHD and was SEI. I know two other IXEs who have ADD in more of a long-term sense, constantly changing goals when new opportunities arise. Not sure how related this is to type, my instinct is to say not very much.

Quote Originally Posted by labster View Post
    don't all murican kids have ADD.
    http://youtu.be/zDZFcDGpL4U?t=3m34s

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

my lxi dad was diagnosed with adhd way before it was cool. but i wouldn't have known unless he told me.

my sle cousin has it and its VERY obvious. when we were kids he would literally run circles around the house making noises and tearing shit apart like an animal. he doesn't do that anymore (lol) but he still has a pretty palpable nervous energy.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never thought of strangling someone with my shoelace before. and now I have.
    And I'm excited.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SiFe step-bro: adhd.
    NeFi social worker type: add
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've wondered this, as I was exploring for a while the possibility that I had undiagnosed ADD...Then I spent some time on an ADHD forum, and...while my personality does give me some ADHD-ish tendencies, I have never EVER been nearly as impaired as a true ADHD-er would be. You can appear to be ADD/ADHD, but if there's no impairment, you will not be successful at getting a diagnosis.

My husband was diagnosed with ADHD when he was twelve, and the impairment was and still is obvious. He is INTp, but that doesn't explain all his issues. He literally loses huge chunks of time with no idea where the time went. When he was in school, it would take him hours to complete an assignment that would take a normal person minutes to complete. Asking him to switch mental tasks suddenly is like asking an elephant to reverse his course in the middle of a five-foot-wide bridge. When he started on a medication as a teenager was the first time he was actually able to come near to spending the "right" amount of time on his assignments, and start to really meet his full potential as a highly-intelligent and capable individual who just happened to have an executive function disorder. Because that's what ADHD is-- an executive function disorder. No problems with executive function, no ADD. If you don't know what EF is, look it up.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@pianosinger

The four that I was talking about are all diagnosed ADD. Part of the reason I was thinking about this is because while they all seem ADD the only one that actually seems impaired, to me, when not medicated is my stepmom. The others seem like they can more or less still function, things might just take a bit longer. So, then it got me wondering, like, how often are Ne-doms misdiagnosed?? I mean, it could just be that doctors are misinterpreting those Ne behaviors for ADD or ADHD...

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by epheme View Post
    Has anyone noticed a tendency for Ne doms to have ADD?

I can think of four Ne doms that I know well that have all been diagnosed for ADD. Two ILE friends, my mom (IEE) and my stepmom (either ILE or IEE). Is this actually overactive Ne?
    The concept of ADD and ADHD, in the form of the current epidemic, is a hoax and a social construct. Only a minority of people who today are labelled ADD or ADHD have a disorder of a more or less physical nature. All the rest are just people who never learned to constrain their impulses. In a nutshell, there are two sides to this coin, and these two sides are not type related, they are symptoms of our times:

1. The diminished capacity of society to tolerate behavior that just 40 years ago was completely acceptable. Higher demands are being put on people with impulsive attitudes, and instead of recognizing that the norms of society have changed (also in regard to the demands of social mobility), impulsive people are now diagnosed as having a disorder.
    2. The individualization of society, with its eliminated hierarchical structures and resulting decreased emphasis on learning to appropriately constrain ones impulses.

So in effect the pathology of today's society is that people are required to behave more rationally in order to be successful, but that more people than ever have never been taught how to do that.

Now I wonder how many of you will freak out over my statements.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

epheme-- I suppose it's possible your friends have been misdiagnosed. It's also possible that they are not really NE-dom but only seem that way because of the ADHD. It's also possible that they are much more impaired than you are able to tell. Most people who associate with my DH would probably never guess that he has ADHD, because he's learned a lot of coping mechanisms for dealing with it, and it's not as apparent in public/social settings. But his mom can see it. And I can see it. And he's slower at work because of it, and has made a few kinda big mistakes in the past because of it.

consentingadult-- I'm not going to argue with you. What you say is possible, even plausible. I do know, though, from their own accounts, that many who really struggle with ADHD would give up a great deal in order to not be plagued with their disorder anymore. It's one thing when society labels someone simply because he does not meet with its expectations; but when the individual himself doesn't like the way he functions (or doesn't function), that's what the ADHD diagnosis and treatment is there for. And I'm not talking about normal people who want to be "superhuman." I'm talking about people who struggle to even do simple things, like keep track of time, remember whether or not they've had lunch yet, or pay attention to a half-hour lecture that they really wanted to attend.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@pianosinger

You make some good points.
    Thank you for your input.