Thread: Shape Shifting Hipsters

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Shape Shifting Hipsters

Hipsters are fascinating subjects to observe. Characterized by their unwillingness to cultivate an authentic identity or sense of purpose, they are either insufficiently courageous or inadequately self confident to search for meaning within themselves and their own histories. Instead, with winking insincerity, they avail themselves of an eclectic assortment of borrowed signifiers of identity and purpose, hoping thereby they will obscure the spiritual rot that grows within.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by chrisalys; 03-03-2013 at 05:12 AM.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

“We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow k0rpsy, deep thoughts...

God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
    - John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Anyways, I'll attempt to answer your post seriously. Imo, I think hipsters are largely a result of cognitive dissonance residing within that individual in that the person has a yearning to be unique and fit in simultaneously. They don't like the social isolation that being truly unique entails and they don't like to feel like sheep following the herd either. The ironic thing is that by becoming a hipster they end up achieving both negative aspects regardless. I'm not friends with any hipsters, but I've run into them like most other people.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the vibe that they are male ESIs. The lady form of such a creature is Lungs, the boy form is the hipster.

- John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

ESIS

HIPSTERS

IDENTITY

THE UNIVERSE

Creepy-male

We should define hipster because its definition and application vary. It can sometimes be used as a strategic insult. However here you are talking about them lacking an identity, which is more on the philosophical side. They may lack an identity because of the development of the "consumerist" mentality post industrial revolution, taken to the extreme they place their identities around what they consume: what music they listen to, what things they place on their facebook wall, what clothes they wear, what car they drive. Their appearance may be immaculately tailored to given a very clear picture of who they are to the world, yet its not a real picture but a facade and not the essence of their being. When this is confused, the cycle can act in reverse and society starts to characterize their own identities out of these possessions or their functional equivalents.

The hipster is one who tries to out "hip" someone by having cooler things or better possessions, particularly that aren't mainstream. They feel like have insider knowledge into where the real quality stuff is at, and you are still stuck in yesterday with stuff that isn't quality, you aren't in the loop etc. This is all a mindless competition though because things don't characterize people but the reverse... a tool is used by artisans. Interestingly enough this is the origin of the word TOOL as well. Someone who is so characterized by their environment, they are pretentiously fake. Hipsters are all tools in this sense. However not all tools are hipsters.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

people can't seem to decide whether they want to call rich, ~bohemian~ pseudo-intellectuals hipsters, or every person interested in counter-culture of some sort / having eclectic tastes.

Creepy-male

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisalys View Post
    Hipsters are fascinating subjects to observe. Characterized by their unwillingness to cultivate an authentic identity or sense of purpose, they are either insufficiently courageous or inadequately self confident to search for meaning within themselves and their own histories. Instead, with winking insincerity, they avail themselves of an eclectic assortment of borrowed signifiers of identity and purpose, hoping thereby they will obscure the spiritual rot that grows within.

What are your thoughts?
    I wonder when people are going to stop making the whole "hipster" thing out to be more than just another commercially driven fad. It makes me fucking sick to see abstract philosophical ideals pinned on the tail of retards who wear dorky glasses and nintendo t-shirts while drinking PBR and pretending to be a part of something bigger than themselves.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually a hipster means "someone who's in the know"...it doesn't mean those people wandering around with scarves etc. That's just a disguise for certain people. Some people have called me a hispter but it's not true.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

who cares

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I walk around with scarves... it is winter!

- John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

Creepy-male

Here is the definition on urban dictionary which has the most thumbs up (it also has 26k thumbs down versus its 105k thumbs up). Its spun to be sympathetic to hipsters versus against it, which is unfortunate because I think to be balanced it should include the typical criticisms against the cultural phenomena.

Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities. Consequently many hipsters tend to have jobs in the music, art, and fashion industries. It is a myth that most hipsters are unemployed and live off of their parent's trust funds.
    Hipsters shun mainstream societal conventions that apply to dating preferences and traditional "rules" of physical attraction. It is part of the hipster central dogma not to be influenced by mainsream advertising and media, which tends to only promote ethnocentric ideals of beauty. The concepts of androgyny and feminism have influenced hipster culture, where hipster men are often as thin as the women they date. The muscular and athletic all-American male ideal is not seen as attractive by confident and culturally-empowered hipster women who instead view them as symbols of male oppression, sexism, and misogyny. Likewise, culturally-vapid sorority-type girls with fake blond hair, overly tanned skin, and "Britney Spears tube-tops" are not seen as attractive by cultured hipster males who instead see them as symbols of female insecurity, low self-esteem, and lack of cultural intelligence and independent thinking. Hipsters are also very racially open-minded, and the greatest number of interracial couples in any urban environment are typically found within the hipster subculture.
    Although hipsters are technically conformists within their own subculture, in comparison to the much larger mainstream mass, they are pioneers and leaders of the latest cultural trends and ideals. For example, the surge of jeans made to look old and worn (i.e. "distressed"), that have become prevalent at stores such as The Gap, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister, were originally paraded by hipsters who shopped in thrift stores years before such clothing items were mass produced and sold to the mainstream consumer. The true irony here is that many of the detractors of hipster culture are in fact unknowingly following a path that hipsters have carved out years before them. This phenomena also applies to music as well, as many bands have become successful and known to mainstream audiences only because hipsters first found and listened to them as early-adopters of new culture. Once certain concepts of fashion and music have reached mainstream audiences, hipsters move on to something new and improved.
    Because of the rise of various online photo-blog and social networking sites, insights into urban hipster culture is reaching sheltered suburban audiences at an exponential rate. Cultural "norms" have been deconstructed by hipster culture as a whole. Hipsterism is often dismissed as just an image thing by some, but the culture as a whole is effecting changes in society, leading to feelings of insecurity and resentment in people who are no longer a part of the cultural ruling class. For example, a lot of anti-hipster sentiment evidently comes from culturally-clueless suburban frat boy types who feel that the more sensitive, intelligent, and culturally aware hipster ideal threatens their insecure sense of masculinity. Anti-hipster sentiment often comes from people who simply can't keep up with social change and are envious of those who can.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Liberal Art Degrees' = Well Educated?

What a hoot.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    'Liberal Art Degrees' = Well Educated?

What a hoot.
    Yea lmao

I guess the point though is hipsters on the positive pole are more interested in heady/intellectual things. On the negative pole they are pretentious psuedo-intellectuals. That is as a cultural movement, we could compare this to say "rednecks" who are proudly unintellectual, on the positive they are more practical, but on the negative they revere mediocrity with their minds.

The intellectualism of hipsters is nothing new (just a rehashing of intellectualism in another subculture), universities themselves are famous for pretentious psuedo-intellectuals, subcultures, and politics within academia... but it would be incorrect to associate that to hipsterism as they are different social movements.

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't tell what you people consider to be a hipster. Old music is just objectively better than new music, and recognizing that makes me a hipster by some of these definitions. The united states is a fucked up country with fucked up policies... and realizing that also makes me a hipster? Hmmm, seems like a good thing so far. I don't really have a style of dress, at all, though. So I guess I'm out.

Creepy-male

I should mention I'm from Austin, TX. There are well known cess-pools of hipsters operating out of certain locations. The University is one of them, go to the university and you will see the bypasser who dons skinny jeans, v-neck t shirts, has a scarf even when its hot outside (because it's ironic). The Music scene is another, mainly progressive rock for white kids in their 20-30's, the independent aspect of this will spawn some hipster's as well.

In addition there are some other networks operating out the city for a variety of reasons. The redneck, the hippie, all variety of university student, westlake suburbanites, north austin tech suburbanites, and then the partitioning of neighborhoods based on race and socioeconomic class.

For example, when I worked at a software company: star wars was an aspect to the "nerdy" software subculture as well as being an aspect to some hipsters. In the rare occasion that I would have had the chance to play my instrument at work (the trumpet) I learned the star wars throne room song as it was one of the most badass fanfare's I could think of. This in a way has made me a hipster, and therefore due to the negative aspects of that, I'm resentful towards this influence so sometimes I characterize it jokingly as a "plague" or spread of "cess-pools" that must be purified.

I've become a hipster

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

as far as i can tell in everyday conversation "hipster" is just a word for "something not represented in popular culture that i don't really care for."

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hipster just means you wear plaid and have a beard, nothing more.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    as far as i can tell in everyday conversation "hipster" is just a word for "something not represented in popular culture that i don't really care for."
    Something not represented in popular culture that i don't really care for?

but hipster has the suffix -ster and is supposed to refer to a person. You used "something", an object. This is because the notion of a hipster has become objectified in society as an idea when it first began as a social movement of people. Once this occurs subcultures reach a different stage in their evolution.

The spread of such an evolution is connected through lines of communication which have different latency. So in an isolated area from hipsters there may be some lag with how the subculture evolve, overtime the disparity in evolution becomes so disjointed that in fact the understanding of the terms becomes split and two new cultures form which are now in conflict. Either peaceful resolutions result which develops itself into a new understanding or conflict results in which one term cuts the other out and only one remains to develop itself.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i see it as a catch all term for boring people who draw attention to themselves.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's actually not quite right Vois. Some of it is, some of it is just American pop culture which is decidedly different than hipster-ism.
    Easy Day

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by labster View Post
    i see it as a catch all term for boring people who draw attention to themselves.
    Yea that's basically what it is when used as a diss.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't really noticed much of a hipster trend here in the UK, but perhaps that's because I remain blissfully unaware (and too old to care - damn kids).

One hilarious (and painfully obvious) thing I observed about subcultures in my teen years is how incredibly counter productive they appear to be. Apparently, some people 'subscribe' (if you will) to certain fashions, trends, whatever... in an attempt to assert their individuality. Eh?

How they're too stupid to see this contradiction is genuinely beyond me.

My friends used to scald me for having my own identity (read: jeans and a fucking t-shirt - shocking) back in the day. They'd be wearing baggy pants, hoodies, etc. Scruffy gits, basically. Yet they'd call me "Gay" for wearing more upmarket attire that made me look like a normal human being who took care of his appearance instead of a bleating, unimaginative (and somewhat smelly) cunt.

*shrug*

People, eh?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    LSE