Thread: What Kind of Music Do You Listen To?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What Kind of Music Do You Listen To?

What kind of music does everyone listen to, and what do you particularly enjoy about the music you're into?

I'm into Jazz, R&B, a little Blues, and a little Pop and Rock.

I like the complexity of Jazz / R&B chord harmonies, rhythms and melodies, and especially the improvisation aspect (p trait of course ) . I also like the feel behind blues, and the energy behind pop and rock.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI subtype

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like jazz for the mechanical ability, manipulation of time, ideas, freedom, and structure. I think it's the best use of acoustic instruments. Pop and rock is pretty uninteresting, although if it dates before 1980 it is sometimes interesting. 80s production was awful, and people tended to use technology before it's time. In example, a lot of 80s pop makes horrible use of drum machines; this includes such offenses as dramatic, too loud drum sounds, cheesy drum sounds, etc etc. Pre-1980s music is sometimes enjoyable because the low quality production, and uneven mixes. Motown is enjoyable pop from the past but after a while it becomes as predictable as any modern radio singer-songwriter. Newer music is really interesting. I stress newer because i think 'new music' can be defined by electronic instruments, digital production, and using technology to really enhance quality of sound. I enjoy hip hop production. it's repetitive, and works well with MCs(great vocalists like mariah carey are hurt by it's use). It introduces a lot of new sounds with synthesizers, and sound manipulation with computer technique and DJ technique. It inspires in that way, and sets the standard for pop music. Hip hop production basically makes the best sound!

I like sounds. Also high quality musicianship is absolutely important to me. If I am going to pay money for music I expect the people who made it to take a somewhat professional approach.
    asd

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always like certain songs, but it's hard to tell why I like them. This is why I like to listen to the radio. Bunch of random songs, some of which I like, some I dislike.

If I don't like a song, I'm usually not able to say why I don't like it. I have tried to gather the songs that I really like, so I do have a playlist in my computer. But it just means that I'll turn on "shuffle" and I'll get random songs, some of which I like, some I don't like anymore.

I have awful taste! And I like lots of outdated music. Right now I'm listening to a song from 1994 and enjoying it as if it was new. The previous song was from 1991 (Chris Isaak - Wicked Game). Next one is from 2004. All from different artists, different style.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I listen to a variety of genre, though I prefer pop, rock and folk pop. I like love ballads of the 80's and early 90's too, like those by george benson, jim brickman, simply red......I don't mind jazz even though the songs sound the same to me sometimes......

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard Rock/Metal/some Prog/Trance/Techno/some Crappy Pop
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Classic Rock (late 60s & 70s) and Modern Indie Alternative Rock. I listen to other mustic as well, but most of my casual listening is one of the two listed prior.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also listen to a wide variety. I like songs that have dicordent sounds, so mostly experimental punk, but I also like hard rock, old rock, classical music or anything that will give me a good synaesthetic experience.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still living in the 80s and early 90s so I mainly like that stuff.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Fi music from all times and disco. I do not like jazz.

Can you associate music with functions? For example John Lennon's Imagine is mainly + . Pink Floyd + very Superid music, mystical and individualistic, irrational.
    School of Associative socionics: http://socionics4you.com/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Olga
    I like Fi music from all times and disco. I do not like jazz.

Can you associate music with functions? For example John Lennon's Imagine is mainly + . Pink Floyd + very Superid music, mystical and individualistic, irrational.
    Interesting thought. So what functions do you think would go with jazz? (although there are many different styles that sound very different even within jazz). I myself listen to some "classic" jazz like Coltrane, Miles Davis, Chick Corea, but really go for modern contemporary jazz with a groove that is more R&B influenced like David Sanborn, Grover Washington Jr., George Benson, Boney James, Kirk Whalum, Chris Botti, Fourplay, David Benoit, Spyro Gyra, etc. and also even further on the spectrum toward the R&B realm, Stevie Wonder, Luther Vandross, Sade, Alicia Keys, Michael McDonald, etc.

I definitely think there's some intuitive component and a person needs to think somewhat abstractly to fully appreciate it.

I'm not sure whether it would be or , because playing jazz and even instrumental R&B requires a person to interpret the melody in their own way, get the overall feel of where the chord changes and the harmonies of the song are going, and be able to improvise and fill in lines to complement it. Maybe there's also some in there.

I think may come out when a person tries to capture the mood of the song and express themselves passionately either through an instrument or through vocals.

What do you think?

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The member Cone had a thread on here for people's crazy ass theories.

So yeah i do think that there are correlations with the type of music you like and the kind of personality you have. For example Ne is associated with new possibilities, and people who have Ne as a prominent function are seen as those who have a conscious predilection towards non conformity and independence. These people might be attracted to punk or some other "rebellious" or "alternative" type of music. (even better if it is experimental punk).

Si and Ni i associate with atmospheric music and these are among my favorite types -- fuzzy noise

Fi i associate with soft rock. hahahhahahahha. i had an enfp friend who liked meatloaf. which is funny.

I also notice that NTs seem to like patterns or at least i like electronic music with lots of loops.

im INTj

oh and steve, i think the expression you explained above might be Fe, not sure.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Major - Metal/Classical/Classic Rock/Psychedelic/Alternative Rock

Minor - Techno/Old School Rap
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like jazz with rich chords and melodics -- not the cerebral, non-emotional ILE kind. For example, I am a big fan of Pat Metheny.

The biggest aspect of my musical tastes is that I like music that has a sense of unpredictability from the very beginning, such as an intriguing but unsteady beat. I have never liked music where I could tell what the entire song was going to be like from the first 5 seconds. I like a sense of mystery, and I like atmosphere music (Deep Forest is cool, and I enjoy Indian music with drums and strange instruments). I don't like music with a formulaic structure.

And it can't be heartless or too mechanical-sounding. King Crimson is cool, but I can't listen to it for long. I am also a big Rush fan, and I love Rachmaninoff's piano music, despite having typed him as LII .

Oh - and I tend to listen to music only if ten years have passed and it's still well-known . I've always been years behind on the culture scene.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Music is irrational in nature one way or the other. Socionincs is to a huge degre irrational as well. What we are trying to do is associative socionics, I think the future of socionics is in associatons as they will provide us with better insight and skill.

It seems to me it depends on many factors what exactly music you choose but still there can be a pattern in the same way like with colours.
    Not all people of the same type will like the proposed colours but there still will be the pattern which initially seems to be irrational.

Because people mentionaed such a huge variaty of music - it would make hours to understand the pattern and individual preferences. May be it is easier to take just on genre with a few most popular pieces of work and to try to attach the leading fucntion or a couple of functions. We culd put forward a few hypotheses:

1. It sounds as if people like music which stimulate their first and second functions. If you want to rtelax it could be the music for your first function as you simply feel like being stimulating. It could be the second if you drained and need energizing. You are less likely to choose music for your "pain" function and you are not really feel like to put more effort in understanding something which calls for your role function. Could be?

2. What is it music? How can we describe this phenomenon in terms of socionics? What is the pupose of this human creation? Is it only our own/rational creation or is it natural (my cat is singing as well). Can we attach one or a selection of leading functions? Your ideas?

Steve6 wrote:
    I think may come out when a person tries to capture the mood of the song and express themselves passionately either through an instrument or through vocals. What do you think?

I always emphasize the special role of first and and the role functions - internal and external collection of info - ("feeding in" process)or a wrapper of a psyche. We do not know enough about their interaction. I would assume that is romantism in feelings and is a srtucture. The structure can be simple or complex. Most of the time I like music which provide me with a simple structure and romantic feelings or simple structure and energizing/powerful music which call for my creative .
    However music would not be born if it would be only on abstract/spiritual level. What about deaf people? Do they know what is it - music?

Music works like a drug - quick access to my feelings and changing them: escape. We do need escape and the most healthy one when you feel down.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Olga
    However music would not be born if it would be only on abstract/spiritual level. What about deaf people? Do they know what is it - music?

That's a great question. And I think you're right. Music is not purely abstract, it's just like other forms of art; it conveys an idea or concept, but does so it a tangible, sensory way that the person can relate to it. Expression that nobody can relate to would just be chaos. The beauty of art is that people can relate to it on some level and that it is not purely random and detached.

Art blends the abstract and the concrete in a way that just makes sense to us internally, and we admire how perfectly they come together.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I like jazz with rich chords and melodics -- not the cerebral, non-emotional ILE kind.
    Typism at it's finest, ladies and gentlemen.

I, for one, enjoy plenty of "emotional charged" music.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could it be because Gilligan and Rick are different types?
    Lots of people like Jazz, it is attached to the time/period as well. But it is not my cup of tea. I wonder Bethoven was deaf but he could right music because it was in his head. And what if he was born deaf, could he then write music? Probably - stupid question like to ask blind people make pictures.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like jazz with rich chords and melodics -- not the cerebral, non-emotional ILE kind.
    Can you give some examples of the cerebral, non-emotional ILE kind?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I shouldn't have said that, since I can't describe the distinction in taste that I've noticed, and don't know that much jazz to give examples.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can listen to everything but for the most part I listen to pretty much hiphop/rap and country...lol

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

weird al
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I like songs that have dicordent sounds..."

Me too, though I prefer Prog and, overall, neatly sounding discordia that, for whatever reason, continuously entertains me with its back and forth nature.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Audible.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like jazz with rich chords and melodics -- not the cerebral, non-emotional ILE kind. For example, I am a big fan of Pat Metheny.
    metheny is cheap. he has employed some interesting musicians though. The drummer on The Way Up, antonio sanchez, is so inventive it's scary. His concept of the drum beat is amazing, he almost never plays any standard fill or beat, it's just insanely original. Maybe it's his latin style over metheny's complex arrangements that makes it seem that way, but regardless, it's really exciting.
    asd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic
    "Me too, though I prefer Prog and, overall, neatly sounding discordia that, for whatever reason, continuously entertains me with its back and forth nature.
    Yay! Someone else can find joy in that.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a music group for clients which was run by a young guy who was natural musician. I was amazed how much he new about music and bands. He must have been intuitive as well, he could go very deep and analyse music patterns. he also said to me thatn he never studies music officially and when he did write music in his mind were different spacios/geometrical positions of his hands on the guitar.

It looks to me that preception of music is different between intuitive and sensorical, logical and wthical. It would be good if Steve6 or anybody will try to summarize the responces so that we could make a sense of those perceptions.

Me and my husband have similar tastes but extra something which he prfers and I prefer. However, I also can listen to music which he does not like or he may prefer classical staff which I am not always in a mood.

We do like quiet romantic tunes. He does not like Pink Floyd. He said to me once: if you do not switch it off he will buy a gun and shoot himself. But I only like a few songs of Pink Floyd. "Wicked game", "On fire" are among my favourites. I (ISFJ) like a few songs of Selen Dion and the like. My husband (INTJ) likes U2 and Elwis.