Thread: Can't see the forest for the trees

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can't see the forest for the trees

• A man sets out to build a fence. He is a careful person and wants it to be level and attractive. He hangs a string between the posts for a guide so he can keep the top straight. The ground is uneven, so he measures and cuts each individual picket so it is exactly 1 inch off the ground. The work is done slowly and meticulously. When he is finished, the top of the fence is perfectly level and even. The bottom of the fence exactly follows all of the ups and downs in the yard and looks like a row of jagged teeth. The fence is level but not attractive. The man could see some, but not all, of the big picture. Which functions are in play in this fence-building story? (Not asking for fence-building tips, by the way.)

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

get glasses

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be me.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NTR
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why isn't the fence attractive?
    Too perfect? Needs variety/imperfection?
    If something is too consistent, it is easy to pass by and overlook, even if it is "perfect."

But yeah. I dunno about functions.
    Not sure it's function related.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fen View Post
    Why isn't the fence attractive?
    Too perfect? Needs variety/imperfection?
    If something is too consistent, it is easy to pass by and overlook, even if it is "perfect."

But yeah. I dunno about functions.
    Not sure it's function related.
    The jagged tooth effect at the bottom is what is unattractive. Slightly leveling the ground by shoveling a little dirt in the low spots would have been faster. Then you just put your leveling string at the bottom and you don't have to cut any of the boards off and it goes much faster without all the cutting and measuring. I guess another interesting point of this true story is that this is a very busy guy and he realized he wasted a lot of time that could have been better spent on other stuff he wanted to do.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    The jagged tooth effect at the bottom is what is unattractive. Slightly leveling the ground by shoveling a little dirt in the low spots would have been faster. Then you just put your leveling string at the bottom and you don't have to cut any of the boards off and it goes much faster without all the cutting and measuring. I guess another interesting point of this true story is that this is a very busy guy and he realized he wasted a lot of time that could have been better spent on other stuff he wanted to do.
    Sounds exactly like me. The shoveling thing could either come to me as an afterthought ("shit, I could/should have done that"), or I would have a specific reason why I chose not to do it that way.

I haven't built a fence (yet), but the example is a great illustration of how I've dealt with many projects in the past.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilly's right, though. This could just be human nature more than anything.

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or he could have just hammered the posts into the uneven ground until that the height was all the same. Less work overall.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or he could have just hammered the posts into the uneven ground until that the height was all the same. Less work overall.
    You guys are inventive, I'll give you that. But you're also "all talk and no work", so don't play all smart and shit. It gets on the nerves of those who actually do the job (your duals, duh!), mkay?

*If practical reasons impose to have space between the fence and the ground, hammering the posts into the ground is not an option.

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    You guys are inventive, I'll give you that. But you're also "all talk and no work", so don't play all smart and shit. It gets on the nerves of those who actually do the job (your duals, duh!), mkay?

*If practical reasons impose to have space between the fence and the ground, hammering the posts into the ground is not an option.
    The only reason I can think of is to let in strays and various other critters, like opossums. And let out pets if you have pets.
    But in order to not be annoying, I'll help with the hammering of the posts. Or something.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be me.
    1. Dual notices the jagged tooth effect. 2. Dual gets Park a beer.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only reason I can think of is to let in strays and various other critters, like opossums. And let out pets if you have pets.
    But in order to not be annoying, I'll help with the hammering of the posts. Or something.
    Possums. UGH. It is so awful when you surprise each other out in your yard in the dark and they hiss at you.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will think about those things when I build my ScarJo's fence.

That just goes without saying.

1. Dual notices the jagged tooth effect. 2. Dual gets Park a beer.
    Makes no sense.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes no sense.
    What I was trying to say is that when your dual realizes you screwed up the fence, she brings you a beer.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I was trying to say is that when your dual realizes you screwed up the fence, she brings you a beer.
    A sharp dual will bring that beer and also

a) take note of material conditions and contexts, then point out that keeping the butt-end of the boards at a distance from the ground will reduce their lifetime wear by water intrusion and particle accumulation via wicking water from grass and soil, so it's all good

and/or

b) say it's alright and suggestively plant a mental seed by pointing that the "error" could easily be disappeared with the planting of hedges, flowers, or other attractive vegetation around it.

Further state c is conjectured as that wherein said sharp dual cracks her own beer and undertakes potential & actionable improvements to the fence under her own steam.

State d is that in which she induces others to participate through the praxial example of c, with states e and onward following the previous and/or any another formally bullshitted course so whimsically excreted as to mark one's passage as a supposed human within and through the Wilderness.

Socionick that and we'll have the material for a new card game.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A sensor will be more likely to eyeball it and will come out nicer. This is why Mexican/builders etc. are all Alpha SF.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

A man sets out to build a fence. He is a careful person and wants it to be level and attractive. He hangs a string between the posts for a guide so he can keep the top straight. The ground is uneven, so he measures and cuts each individual picket so it is exactly 1 inch off the ground. The work is done slowly and meticulously. When he is finished, the top of the fence is perfectly level and even. The bottom of the fence exactly follows all of the ups and downs in the yard and looks like a row of jagged teeth. The fence is level but not attractive. The man could see some, but not all, of the big picture. Which functions are in play in this fence-building story?
    basing off theory: process + tactical types (LSE, LSI, ILI, ILE)
    they devote more attention to the process and the selection of steps that they can undertake, and through this risk losing sight of the forest beyond the trees that they are so busy chopping down. i see this most often with LSEs but I may be just a tad biased in this evaluation

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    basing off theory: process + tactical types (LSE, LSI, ILI, ILE)
    they devote more attention to the process and the selection of steps that they can undertake, and through this risk losing sight of the forest beyond the trees that they are so busy chopping down. i see this most often with LSEs but I may be just a tad biased in this evaluation
    Should I retype myself as one if these types?

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Should I retype myself as one if these types?
    LSI is always open if you have ever considered being Gilly's dual
    otherwise you cut through the extraneous bs pretty well to be anything other than SLI

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cutting through the extraneous bullshit... hmm.

Gilly is interesting. He's like fire.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Si with a side of Te
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 03-01-2013 at 04:32 AM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing that tends to attract my attention to Gilly is the huge difference in personalities. Whether we complement or ruin each other is yet to be discovered.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pickets should all be the same length. He was right to leave a space between the bottom of the pickets and the ground to prevent water damage to the fence, but would've been much easier to either level the ground out more, if possible, or build the fence to rise and fall with the land.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by felafel View Post
    how would estj loose sight of the forest for the trees if they are result/goal oriented and Te leading? maybe isfp. or something else non-socionics
    LSE isn't result oriented - they are process, just like their duals the EIIs, so they invest into working out the in-between stages rather than surveying the results. I see this in old smilex's threads for example, the way he meticulously grinds through every socionical aspect. Being Te-leading (rational) would only exacerbate this.

In general, I think it's more related to one's life experience, but speaking within the bounds of socionics I'd expect process tacticals to be most prone to getting into the mix of things while not keeping track of where it's all going.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by felafel View Post
    ^ i think you misunderstood me - i'm not talking about reinin. just behavior aspects of estj i've noticed, in general and not necessarily related to example in the op
    oh I have made some different observations then, from my pov their activities can seem too myopic

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
    to prevent water damage to the fence
    That's what I thought. Wood swells and loses its strength in water very quickly... unless it's marine grade plywood or some other specially treated resilient material.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    LSE isn't result oriented - they are process, just like their duals the EIIs, so they invest into working out the in-between stages rather than surveying the results. I see this in old smilex's threads for example, the way he meticulously grinds through every socionical aspect. Being Te-leading (rational) would only exacerbate this.

In general, I think it's more related to one's life experience, but speaking within the bounds of socionics I'd expect process tacticals to be most prone to getting into the mix of things while not keeping track of where it's all going.
    YES
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't you ask for your account to be deleted? What happened?

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's what I thought. Wood swells and loses its strength in water very quickly... unless it's marine grade plywood or some other specially treated resilient material.
    yes, pressure treated lumber can be used to prevent warping and rotting, but you also have to keep in mind that water could pool around the fence, making a mess of the yard. It's much better to allow run-off to pass under.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Didn't you ask for your account to be deleted? What happened?
    Jadae and I broke up and this has always been MY thing, so I came here for me, my comfort. I love the Si thanks.
    -

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how type even relates to building a fence. "Not seeing the forest for the trees" is a big picture concept, I get that, but you either know how to build a fence, or you don't. If you're not all that experienced and DIY it is common to make mistakes, that's all this seems like it was. If someone points it out to him, he probably won't make it again with a similar project. My guess is that he does something unrelated for a living; nothing wrong with that, but at least he got out there and built it, ugly or not.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, pressure treated lumber can be used to prevent warping and rotting, but you also have to keep in mind that water could pool around the fence, making a mess of the yard. It's much better to allow run-off to pass under.
    Yeah, that makes sense.

I'm not sure how type even relates to building a fence. "Not seeing the forest for the trees" is a big picture concept, I get that, but you either know how to build a fence, or you don't. If you're not all that experienced and DIY it is common to make mistakes, that's all this seems like it was. If someone points it out to him, he probably won't make it again with a similar project. My guess is that he does something unrelated for a living; nothing wrong with that, but at least he got out there and built it, ugly or not.
    And he probably did it a lot better than some random "experienced" guy he could've payed to do it.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Jadae and I broke up and this has always been MY thing, so I came here for me, my comfort. I love the Si thanks.
    I don't care.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And he probably did it a lot better than some random "experienced" guy he could've payed to do it.
    good golly, it would cost an arm and a leg to hire it out, probably pay for 4 people while only one or two actually does the work.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting so much work and effort into a fence that is less than functional (The raised ground would have a shorter fence, which would make it easier for cattle to presumably jump over) and is also less than pleasing to the eye (Non functional, and ugly.)
    Easy Day

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fenceman is either IJ or IP temperament. So that would rule out LSE. He is very judicious, slow and careful in everything he does. I would consider ILI for him, but his values seem more delta than gamma. I don't think he is a sensor - I say that because his general vibe is that he needs to control his physical environment (that is in opposition to him.) He is more about protecting himself from the elements, rather than understanding, enjoying them and working with them. I have had the idea that SLIs feel a harmony with their physical world and are good with the tools they need to accomplish their work, so I ruled out SLI. He is not a beta. I wish I understood process and result better, but on the surface, process seems correct. I wonder if he is EII?

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    A sensor will be more likely to eyeball it and will come out nicer. This is why Mexican/builders etc. are all Alpha SF.
    He is half Mexican, therefore the fence is half straight.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if he is EII?
    If he seems overtly (but subtly?) guarded and "in need of control" of his physical environment then he's probably not SEI either. But why EII > LII?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast