TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hugging style

Hey guys

i have two friends who tested ISTJ on myers briggs. This was a few years ago so i thought they were both ISTJs (Ti + Se).

Since socionics i realize one is ISTp and the other is ISTj.

And i noticed a marked difference in their hugging style!! the ISTj's is similar to mine.

how are your hugs? Robust or a pat on the back? what's your type? does your style vary within certain groups (such as family)?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I generally keep hugs as distant and quick as I can...

unless it's my mate or my kid, in which case huge hugs are not only comfortable, but appreciated.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disliked being touched by most people. Handshakes are pretty much the only acceptable form of physical contact. Hugs are particularly uncomfortable.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's my child or mate, however, no amount of affection is too much.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI subtype

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I disliked being touched by most people. Handshakes are pretty much the only acceptable form of physical contact. Hugs are particularly uncomfortable.
    this is pretty much the same with me also...unless it's family or the occasional drunk chick that for some reason just wants a hug...lol

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty uncomfortable with it, even handshakes. I tolerate it for my family, but not much for anyone else. Sometimes if I'm in a goofy mood though I'll aggressively hug my husband though :wink:
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Smothering and frequent. Unless it's my mother/father/siblings, then I will do a pat on the back. I tend to be annoyed by touch from my immediate family. (even though, oddly, I enjoy touch from practically anyone else).
    That's me.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty uncomfortable with it, even handshakes. I tolerate it for my family, but not much for anyone else. Sometimes if I'm in a goofy mood though I'll aggressively hug my husband though
    Likewise. I don't like to initiate hugs since I am never sure if by doing so I'm invading a person's personal space and making them feel uncomfortable. But when I know that if the person may be expecting it, I'll try and initiate it so I'll have a greater amount of control over how much or little physical contact is given.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for me, not tolerated in any manner or form, regardless of recipient.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soggy-flakes
    I'm really only comfortable hugging my family members, significant others, or really good friends. I'm not into hugging someone casually. I don't do the casual touch thing. I hate being casually touched by people I hardly know, it feels like my personal space is being violated.
    Me too. I made some enemies in middle school because I would shrug off other's touch (pre-teen girls are very touchy-feely). I'm always amazed at people that touch others that they barely know.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Soft and comforting, and I push up right against the person.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really only comfortable hugging my family members, significant others, or really good friends.
    Agreed. For me it is not because of some desire of physical contact, but because it is almost a social ritual that is expected.

Me too. I made some enemies in middle school because I would shrug off other's touch (pre-teen girls are very touchy-feely). I'm always amazed at people that touch others that they barely know.
    In this way, society has actually benefited male LII's, since males are not expected to be "very touchy-feely." I can't help but feel sorry for those female LII who are expected to be more physically open to hugs and such.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fever
    i don't see any harm in hugging someone or being hugged. if i feel like hugging someone, i do it. i dislike fakery or people that hug just to appear 'nice' or whatever.
    The fakery is some of the reason I don't like it. Fake or sincere, howver, its just not like me to engage in it.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smothering and frequent. Unless it's my mother/father/siblings, then I will do a pat on the back. I tend to be annoyed by touch from my immediate family. (even though, oddly, I enjoy touch from practically anyone else).
    Ditto.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hugs are alright. I don't enjoy it when people bigger than me give me a bear hug and crush me(i have a friend who does this a lot). He does it to be physically imposing. it's absolutely unneccessary and it sometimes makes me nauseous, or it crushes my ribs and gives me pain or problems breathing for 10-15 seconds. I was a small child which basically means adults can adjust your relation to the immediate surface at will. I learned to expect the worst from hugs because of my size.
    asd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't generally hug but it depends on the circumstance. I sometimes will touch someone's arm or some other physical thing smaller than a hug if I feel they need comforting/whatever.

Some people want to hug every time they see me and that makes me a bit uncomfortable.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like sincere friendly hugs . I hate uptight, stiff, cold hugs

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

mhmm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seriously herzblut i find it funny but you need to stop

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with topaz; I like open hugs, don't like closed hugs.

Creepy-

I really do not like physical contact unless it is with someone I've known for years and have a positive relationship with. I am sensative to touch in an odd way though I mostly do not react.

My ESFp friend, who I've known for a few years, complained to me about not hugging her goodbye as I offered my gloved hand for a handshake.

The psychological distance of formality indicates handshakes, and that is what I prefer. Fist pounds is okay if I'm with guys at sporting events or similar. But hanshakes usually.

With someone I am really close to, as in a close relationship, then I really like deep long hugs. But no one else. The idea of being physically possessive of the other person is somewhat intriguing at times. If it is someone I'm very close to, then I would never turn down a hug intentionally. But if it is not her, or not someone in my immediate family, then you've got no chance. If I am single, though, and you are someone that I deem huggable, then I won't refuse one necessarily.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have possibly claimed this and that about hugging but I could summarize it like this: in relationships I hug fairly often, other than that I gladly respond to other people hugging me (unless they do somekind of surprise hug in which case I usually just get scared) but I never initiate a hug even if it is a friend. How I hug? I try to imitate the hugging style they are using. If it is a "distant" hug then I do that too. If it is a squeeeeeze hug then I squeeeeeze hug too basically. In case of a distant hug I usually try to make it a bit warmer by patting their back or something like that. Too distant and formal hugs are blah And I don't need hugging to feel loved

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    My ESFp friend, who I've known for a few years, complained to me about not hugging her goodbye as I offered my gloved hand for a handshake.
    I think I feel more awkward with handshakes then with hugs, but that might be because its used more frequently with men than women. I prefer a slight nod of acknowledgement to anything else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This whole thing about hugging is especially weird for me, as when I hug someone I don't think about it...

For me it's based on common distance and how close they're comfortable being in general.

And I'd generally consider myself to hug close, but to only do so if I'm comfortable with the other person completely.

Also I always "let go" before I hug... it's not very controlled.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol you total uncorteous ass
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been suggested to me on several occasions that I could make a living out of hugging

I also think this is a cultural thing. We, the Dutch, aren't the greatest huggers in the world, but when we see Americans do it, we think it's outright pathetic! :wink:
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult
    It's been suggested to me on several occasions that I could make a living out of hugging

I also think this is a cultural thing. We, the Dutch, aren't the greatest huggers in the world, but when we see Americans do it, we think it's outright pathetic! :wink:
    DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDdd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maxtheax
    haha,

Yeah, I think it’s a cultural thing too…

I live in Latin America, so I’m a bit distant for being latinamerican, but maybe in the United States I might seem like more of a warm person?
    You might scare the shit out of them... it always looks like they are trying to avoid catching some contageous disease. Not good when you're in The Netherlands, since here, we kiss three times on the cheeks when greeting a friend...

(that's in addition to eating raw fish called herring and raw red meat called "Filet Americain" :wink: )
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... and another three times when we leave and say goodbye... :wink:

But seriously: I recently had a discussion like this on a totally different kind of site, and it struck me that typically introverted types don't seem to appreciate physical contact as much as extroverts do.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Lol you total uncorteous ass

... I first took off my glove, hesitantly.... (half wondering if she would just want me to take off m y glove)
    but she continued her look anways, and sought a hug
    so eventually I did hug her

Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult

I can believe it.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My family is more into hand-shakes than hugs (except for my ISFp brother.) When my ENFp friend requests a hug, I usually give a half-hug. They're my specialty. I like to hug little kids because they're adorable and because it doesn't make them uncomfortable; they're used to it. Lately I've wanted to hug my INTp friend, but I stick to the handshake so I don't accidently give him or .
    Last edited by DirectorAbbie; 11-25-2008 at 11:00 PM.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mmmm hug

Creepy-

Hugs... hmm. If it's someone I care about and the time is right, I enjoy a good hug.

Today I hugged someone "goodbye" whom I'm not going to see again for a long time, and it was a very nice hug, if bittersweet....

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't enjoy hugs of any sort. Not even those from significant others. Creepy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i looooooooooooooooooove hugs. how can people not?!
    well, okay, if it's like an extended family member/friend of the family and i'm expected to give the person a hug- especially during a greeting- then it's sort of forced and quick and awkward. But, like, with my friends I really like hugs. i'll just hug people randomly during a conversation if i'm feeling particularly close to the person. i also really like cuddling and sitting on people.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast