Thread: The perfect relationship

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The perfect relationship

Spending time in socionics and mbti forums starts to make relationships sound formulaic, or like trying to piece together a jigsaw puzzle. Go on a date, if it seems like its gonna be too much work, they're not your "type."

My EII friend, married to an IEE, told me, "Its not about interests, its about similar lifestyles and overall behaviors."

When asked about the key to a successful and happy marriage, Johnny Cash said, "Separate Bathrooms."

An article I once read that "one common trait listed in successful happy marriages was that the center of the brain responsible for anxiety, had almost no activity."

In my experience, no matter how different the partner was, when I give them a chance and tried to like what they liked, I started to eventually appreciate them more for who they were. I think issues arose because the other partner wasn't willing to put as much effort into compromise as I was.

So with that being said, what are your thoughts on the subject?
    What sorts of things do you think create "the perfect relationship"?
    Are there specific things about duality or enneagram compatilities that make them ideal?
    Last edited by Azure Flame; 02-05-2013 at 06:51 PM.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NOW you sounded authentic.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Perfection" in relationship grows out of myriad number of variables and the best I could do is to list many of them. However, that would seem as simplifying answer as "duality" is.

I don't like to give vague answers but it just seems that we should go out open-minded, ready to get hurt and loved. We will learn what we don't want and through that what we want. The intuition of experience will guide us, although the illusion of love will blind us.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No such thing. A normal relationship involves conflict, and having the ability to deal with conflict in a way that does not doom the couple is what makes it work. I suppose the rationale in socionics is that where communication is easiest, conflict is easiest to work with and the opportunities for meaningful connection are greater.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COMFINED View Post
    No such thing. A normal relationship involves conflict, and having the ability to deal with conflict in a way that does not doom the couple is what makes it work.
    In my view the lack of conflict isn't part of the definition of perfection.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    In my view the lack of conflict isn't part of the definition of perfection.
    I sort of assumed that from your responses and I think I get it. From my pov, even a great relationship can feel so far from perfection that the word itself has become unhelpful to me.

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me personally, I don't think there is are varying degrees of love. I think you either are or you aren't. The heightened moments are chemical, the low moments are mental.

To me, I suppose a perfect relationship is about mutual responsibility, and giving without expecting anything in return. Don't get mad at your partner because they forgot it was your birthday. You might be upset, but remind them that it meant something to you. If they love you they'll want to make it up to you.

I think we try to "change" others to our liking, because we are scared that the person won't actually love us or put forth any effort to love us for what we are or enjoy what we enjoy with us.

I personally will listen to the other person's music as much as I can and try to enjoy it. Sometimes... I can't (panic at the disco). At that point I decide if that particular thing is worth the effort or not.

For example, at some point I'd like to buy land and build a house from scratch on that land with whatever income I have, while living in a tent and generally giving myself a good struggle to overcome. I think it would be AWESOME if the girl I was with, joined me in the whole thing. But that won't always happen. But if she came out to be with me for just a little bit and partake in the thing, I'd love her for it just because she tried and I wouldn't expect her to stick around for the whole thing.
    Last edited by Azure Flame; 02-05-2013 at 08:06 PM.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sort of assumed that from your responses and I think I get it. From my pov, even a great relationship can feel so far from perfection that the word itself has become unhelpful to me.
    When you're in the heights of all the passion unimaginable, can't you say that it ain't perfect?

I don't want to live in a world without any perfection in any association so I like to think that sometimes there a experiences that I can define perfect. To me, it's a feeling, not an absolute.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you're in the heights of all the passion unimaginable, can't you say that it ain't perfect?

I don't want to live in a world without any perfection in any association so I like to think that sometimes there a experiences that I can define perfect. To me, it's a feeling, not an absolute.
    Sure. I hope everyone gets to have the experience of intimacy so mind-boggling they literally want to ask, how is this even possible? The real experience of love is more than I ever dreamed it could be. I guess I just don't put much stock in the concept of perfection? Imperfect seems richer to me. Might just be semantics, might be more.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I just don't put much stock in the concept of perfection? Imperfect seems richer to me. Might just be semantics, might be more.
    I know what you mean but I feel like that the perfection lies in imperfection.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what you mean but I feel like that the perfection lies in imperfection.
    OH MY GOD IN HEAVEN, WE AGREE. WE WERE SAYING THE SAME THING ALL ALONG. *Whew.*

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HI

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

*Look of horror at all these meatbags being social*

*shiver*
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I really hate saying this because it's something that I myself *hate* to hear when other people say it to me but:

The key is self-confidence. Self-confidence, self-confidence, self-confidence. You don't have to go over every emo-ish thing about yourself or other people, nobody cares and it sounds awkward. you just have to like yourself enough to be liked by others.

how do you like yourself? It's hard actually but here is what you have to do:

(1. you can't live in 'the media' (books/anime/video games/the internet) you have to live in the real world

(2. you have to know the cool suave ways that girls like to be manipulated with the 'strong macho jock that lives in the real world' and not the poor compassionate final fantasy gamer that can't get a date. you have to prove you can deal with the sort of 'Real' concerns women are involved with even though we all like to be entertained by media occasionally.

(3. You have to get over yourself enough to live in the PHYSICAL WORLD not YOUR OWN HEAD.

(4. self-confident people won't tear anybody else down but they won't baby and coddle others either. There's no point, everybody learns everything on their own anyway, etc. So when you are self-confident you will try to help others when you can, you will better see somebody's real problems the more you yourself are selfconfident.

5. You won't need an audience. Real self-confident people don't need everybody to agree with them. That's why i don't think Oprah is self-confident *at all*. Narcissists do not really like themselves, etc.

(6. You won't be a victim. When somebody teases you about something you'll be able to 'laugh it off' a girl will find that incredibly sexy and want you around like crazy, you will be able to pick out her desire for you because you're not analyzing everything. You will be able to pinpoint your natural male insight rather than have it be all over the map like what happens when we are insecure.

7. You will still be sensitive, but in ways that feel incredibly deep, meaningful and spiritual rather than things that make you weak. You will be emo in a VERY, VERY, VERY GOOD WAY. Ironically, the more the enneagram 4 fag lives in the real world, the better art they make.
    Last edited by Hot Scalding Gayser; 02-06-2013 at 07:11 AM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

anyways it's easy to get mad at what im trying to say its not easy to say this and i really loathe when other people tell me this but it's always *true* when you experienced it in real life. I met the man of my dreams (literally) because i got over my emoness but i can't be with him in this lifetime sadly.

the key to everything is self-esteem. End of story.

you can't do anything at all without it,- and when you do have it, everything becomes a piece of cake.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    An article I once read that "one common trait listed in successful happy marriages was that the center of the brain responsible for anxiety, had almost no activity."
    That kind of vague neuro-nonsense is a good indicator that this little factoid is a harebrained fabrication.

Nothing since it doesn't exist. However, a couple can go far with shared values, cooperation, and good communication.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vois View Post
    When I think of good relationships in general (not necessarily romantic ones) I think of something natural, welcoming, and without possessiveness (they are friends; not objects for your fantasy). When people say "perfect relationship" I think of an idealized goal, like the perfect job or house, full of grandeur but empty of fulfillment and likely to be a source of stress and hopelessness. With out the connotations, I can't think of a "best" relationship, only different usually-temporary kinds. I've always liked the idea of partners moreso than "true love" or any of that schtick.
    Finally.

This thread.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The older I get, the more I realize how ridiculous and flawed I am. To be loved by someone in spite of that, and to be able to be forgiven by someone when you have messed up, is the best thing in the world. That is the best kind of relationship you can have. I don't believe there are perfect relationships.

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    The older I get, the more I realize how ridiculous and flawed I am. To be loved by someone in spite of that, and to be able to be forgiven by someone when you have messed up, is the best thing in the world. That is the best kind of relationship you can have. I don't believe there are perfect relationships.
    Something quite beautiful about this. Very honest too.

I'm an idealist, i'm attracted to romantic notions in general and i believe in love.

EDIT: I have gone through various phases of idea's of what the best/perfect/most workable relationship may be. I'm not sure it can be explained tangibly ... i think there are trends, we are definitely in a phase where (most of the western) world do not stay with one life partner...this changes things... having choice.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

Creepy-male

Pretty much a myriad of what other people have said. Yes there is perfection in the imperfection, but to go a bit deeper I think there is actually a reason they call it imperfection. Conflict is just natural and its less about the fact that it arises but more so how it is dealt with, I think love is partially defined by such, when a person has there back to the wall and the only thing they can be is themselves and they try to make it work. In relationships or the self. My problem is a lot of times when people start promoting the imperfection of others and saying "all is right with the universe" and stuff like that, then I look at my life and how disappointed I am about some things. Then I think "well gee if all is right with the universe, then I guess my unhappiness is exactly what the universe demands, oh well...." and that just seems like bullshit. What about will and creation, making things happen and choosing your own path. I understand thinking in terms of "all is right with the universe" in order to alleviate anxiety but when you feel like you don't belong in the universe and people hate you and would cheer at your death, then its a little conflicting. You feel like its a mistake you exist or its a mistake you put up with the same bullshit over and over again, yet you are supposed to believe all is right with the universe and imperfection is perfection. It's not, but to me part of the immense joy in success is what one has to go through to obtain it. If I lived in a world were everything was served to me on a silver platter I would probably hate that as well, become bored and unappreciative of what I have. I instead like the fact that real challenges exist and that you can either fight the good fight and win or die off in some god awful tragedy. This idea of all is right with the world, is more like a virus to me. In movies and fantasy the people meet and live some happy life, in real life you are lucky if such a thing exists, and you may find yourself unfairly dying at the hands of some asshole that did the most injust and merciless act to you, he may even be praised at the time as a badass or hero. Ages pass and then history reverts and now instead of the hero he's the villian and people like him are hunted, and so forth. Everyone builds these systems of morality to say this is fair or that is fair, but the point is life is life. Sometimes life sucks and I think that's part of the ultimate beauty in relationships and love, its like the single force that's working against all this stuff trying to pull people down, people want to merge and connect and harmonize, but its always more difficult and challenging than that and requires will and effort, its a mutual striving to keep the dream alive, and when its alive its good and things seem perfect for a little bit until you wake up to the next thing that tries to destroy it, and sometimes battle are lost and all that remains are memories, and in those situations it matters little what the result is but rather the fact that one merely tried.

Now when people start talking about how perfect their relationship is it makes me want to vomit.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A glass of cider and a shared laugh.

Are there specific things about duality or enneagram compatilities that make them ideal?
    In Big5 a person has to be neurotic in the middle.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The perfect relationship is between two persons who love themselves and also love each other.

Love is not obtained, love is induced and the source of love for others is the love for yourself.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

-Reciprocity: A healthy relationship will give and take.
    -Don't waste anytime being a martyr for another person, but don't dominate people to your will either. Sometimes the imbalance is very easy to discern right off the bat, other times it may take years, but eventually that imbalance will cause the relationship to fail. It doesn't matter if it is a family member, friend, or lover.
    -Be honest with expectations but don't go overkill with them. One person cannot possibly fullfill all one's needs.
    -Divide your needs among many different types of relationships so as to not overburden one person. It's okay that they don't share all your interests; that's what friends are for.
    -LOTS of sex
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DJA, you've got to stop elevating things to unrealistic, undeliverable proportions. If it works then it works, warts and all.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bullshit labeled as science annoys me. As do articles with misleading headings. The article says you have to be physically present with another person in order to experience the connection they decided to label as love and then uses brain images taken while people are listening to a recorded story as proof of the phenomena, and later show solitary mediation to increase these feelings. The so-called scientist they interviewed says, "My conception of love," which demonstrates that it's merely one person's conception of love. Opinion. A label given to moments of connection. There are thousands of different opinions on what love is and how people experience it - and none of them can be called science. The studies that focus on people who report feelings of love (not connection, not resonance, not good listening skills) and subsequent brain imaging are far closer to being called a scientific view of the human experience of love - and those do show that it can be a very long-lasting, even lifetime state a person's brain goes into when looking at or thinking about a particular person.

I've no doubt that people experience many moments of resonance with others, and that's cool, and the vagus nerve stuff, and brain mirroring is very interesting, but it doesn't follow from anything said that "There is no such thing as everlasting love" and that statement certainly wasn't shown with science. Anyway, connection with others, and being able to increase your ability to feel connection with others through meditation is very interesting - but has nothing to do with the article's title.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Bullshit labeled as science annoys me. As do articles with misleading headings.
    I'm glad somebody read the article.

Creepy-male

You know the greeks have three words to explain love, eros and agape and something else. Why only 3, you could make it infinitely complex or infinitely simple.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They also had philia and storge.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned