Thread: Top 20 TV Shows of All Time (in the mind of hitta)

Hybrid View

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Top 20 TV Shows of All Time (in the mind of hitta)

Note that I'm basing the shows on where they are situated, and don't have to necessarily be in their completion.
    You will disagree, get over it.

20. Suits
    19. Community
    18. House M.D.
    17. Luther
    16. X-Files
    15. Dr. Who
    14. Sherlock
    13. 24
    12. Battlestar Galactica
    11. Twin Peaks
    10. Rome
    09. Homeland
    08. Lost
    07. Dexter
    06. Sopranos
    05. Arrested Development
    04. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    03. Game of Thrones
    02. Six Feet Under
    01. Breaking Bad
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Honorable Mention: Firefly(too short), Fringe, Justified, Shameless, Curb Your Enthusiasm. Psych, Person of Interest, White Collar, Life, Pushing Daisies, Quantum Leap, Parks and Recreation
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never saw a single on of those shows! (I do not have a TV!!)

God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
    - John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bionichitta View Post
    Note that I'm basing the shows on where they are situated, and don't have to necessarily be in their completion.
    You will disagree, get over it.

20. Suits
    19. Community
    18. House M.D.
    17. Luther
    16. X-Files
    15. Dr. Who
    14. Sherlock
    13. 24
    12. Battlestar Galactica
    11. Twin Peaks
    10. Rome
    09. Homeland
    08. Lost
    07. Dexter
    06. Sopranos
    05. Arrested Development
    04. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    03. Game of Thrones
    02. Six Feet Under
    01. Breaking Bad
    You put Breaking Bad before Twin Peaks, which is shameful to your taste and appraisal of acting skill. It over-uses over-dramatic music and is kind of hypertypical of modern media in the way it is just drama after drama, problem after problem. Very predictable, tiresome, and yet not endearingly or sentimentally embracing itself for being formulaic in the way that House or Dexter does, both of which are obviously more well-done shows overall in my opinion. I also disagree that it is in any way superior to Game of Thrones, especially when it comes to originality of writing and character interactions, and cohesiveness of plot content. Sure it has an original theme; the premise of the show is perhaps the best and most unique and original out of all of these. But its execution falls short in my opinion.

Of the ones I have seen here, I would say, in order of actual overall quality:

1. Twin Peaks
    2. Dexter
    3. House M.D.
    4. Game of Thrones
    5. The Sopranos
    6. Breaking Bad
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Out of all the shows I've seen, the one I've watched recently : Six Feet Under is my personal favorite. Like its not the best show, but its like my favorite if that makes sense. I sort of adored it, and the time I finished its like I literally missed the characters.

I don't think a show has ever been masterfully done as well as Breaking Bad though. It's sort of pure perfection, and only gets better as it goes on.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

also Buffy included campiness with cruelty really well. Like campy and cruelty are natural opposites and Buffy really mixed it very well. They existed in the same reality.

i've found the other shows have this snobby stuck upness to anything campy, so you think it's good just because its trolling your feelings, making you think they are weaknesses, and you struggle to be a good guy yourself but the hollywood tv show isn't really teaching you how to do that in a way that is the most psychologically healthy - they just have the goal of making you want to watch the conflicts. Which isn't something one should necessarily get morally offended by, but I prefer somebody trying to inspire *me* in a pure way.

I've tried to get into those shows people say but I end up like getting mad kind of at what the writer is trying to do and how they will be ignoring a certain psychological point in favor of raw shock value or something.

Trust me I wish i could broaden my horizons but I have selective tastes.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    You put Breaking Bad before Twin Peaks, which is shameful to your taste and appraisal of acting skill. It over-uses over-dramatic music and is kind of hypertypical of modern media in the way it is just drama after drama, problem after problem. Very predictable, tiresome, and yet not endearingly or sentimentally embracing itself for being formulaic in the way that House or Dexter does, both of which are obviously more well-done shows overall in my opinion. I also disagree that it is in any way superior to Game of Thrones, especially when it comes to originality of writing and character interactions, and cohesiveness of plot content. Sure it has an original theme; the premise of the show is perhaps the best and most unique and original out of all of these. But its execution falls short in my opinion.

Of the ones I have seen here, I would say, in order of actual overall quality:

1. Twin Peaks
    2. Dexter
    3. House M.D.
    4. Game of Thrones
    5. The Sopranos
    6. Breaking Bad
    If I was basing Twin Peaks on the first season and a half of the show, it'd be way up there towards the top of the list. Unfortunately, after the murder was solved was incredibly boring, though it ended on a pretty dramatic note. It's pretty well known knowledge that they had no clue what to do(as admitted by the writers) after the murder was solved... and it showed.

House was rather repetitive, and too formulaic to be considered at the top of my list; Dexter had a big lul the previous two seasons before its last season. Breaking bad has been consistently good and has only gotten better. There are a few shows I'd love to put on the list but I haven't completed them.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bionichitta View Post
    If I was basing Twin Peaks on the first season and a half of the show, it'd be way up there towards the top of the list. Unfortunately, after the murder was solved was incredibly boring, though it ended on a pretty dramatic note. It's pretty well known knowledge that they had no clue what to do(as admitted by the writers) after the murder was solved... and it showed.
    Yes but the acting and music is fantastic, and David Lynch still manages to inject his eery magic into just about everything.

House was rather repetitive, and too formulaic to be considered at the top of my list;
    But the acting! Hugh Laurie is a fucking maniac, the man can act his fucking ass off and he never misses a beat. I never would have known he had any kind of non-American accent if I hadn't seen the first few episodes.

Dexter had a big lul the previous two seasons before its last season.
    Yeah Dex has its ups and downs in terms of plot, but overall Michael C. Hall is amazing, and the character development is exceptionally well portrayed across the entire main cast, who are all perfectly chosen for their respective roles.

Breaking bad has been consistently good and has only gotten better. There are a few shows I'd love to put on the list but I haven't completed them.
    I agree in terms of plot content it seems solid, and admittedly I have only seen most of the first season, but the main character is simply not as good an actor as the leads in the other shows we are discussing, and as far as writing goes, the characters are more stereotyped, less complex, and somewhat prone to tasteless post-modern/bro/hipster half-dry comedy that I find boring and uncreative.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsy View Post
    Where the hell are Connections, Cosmos, Pee Wee's Playhouse, and Frontline?
    Cosmos <3

Carl Sagan is like, my intellectual Jesus.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

tbh the only show i ever really liked was Buffy just because of how much it included so many perceptions without really gaslighting any one. It was like.. pure feminine inclusiveness.

i liked how it showed women struggling with their own darkness. we always view women as lower than men, physical - not man of the sun, but made of the earth, and so on a lower dimension... like it was so political about the feminist message but at the same so realistic. like so much pain and serious heartbreak. It didn't really give a corny 'feminist speech' until the very end of the series, making it feeling completely and totally - earned. Which was so cool and ironic. The female energy built up the male energy to be okay to make a grand gesture statement like that when at the time, it would be nothing more than a gaslight.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

as long as twin peaks and game of thrones are included its acceptable.

house is overrated and boring. grumpy guy solves medical mystery. omg, what happens next? grumpy guy solves medical mystery.

dexter and buffy are a couple shows ive had in the back of my mind to check out at some point (well season 1 of buffy is seeding now)

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nip/Tuck?
    American Horror Story?
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Nip/Tuck?
    American Horror Story?
    No Ryan Murphy show should be in any Top List of TV Shows. The man takes good ideas, and then commences to run them into the ground until they're a burning wreck of suck. But the last season of AHS was pretty good, but mostly because of the cast and not the writing.

My favorite show atm is Shameless.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    No Ryan Murphy show should be in any Top List of TV Shows. The man takes good ideas, and then commences to run them into the ground until they're a burning wreck of suck. But the last season of AHS was pretty good, but mostly because of the cast and not the writing.

My favorite show atm is Shameless.
    I love Ryan Murphy and will forgive him anything forever and forever because he saved my dog.

(But even before that, I LOVED Nip/Tuck through its entire run. Glee was really run into the ground. AHS is so wacky that he can do pretty much anything. But ok, the aliens really were not necessary...)
    ― Anais Nin

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I love Ryan Murphy and will forgive him anything forever and forever because he saved my dog.

(But even before that, I LOVED Nip/Tuck through its entire run. Glee was really run into the ground. AHS is so wacky that he can do pretty much anything. But ok, the aliens really were not necessary...)
    Wait... he saved your dog?
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Wait... he saved your dog?
    Yes! He adopted a dog from a rescue group and then donated a lot of money to them. With that money, they rescued a bunch of dogs, one of which I fostered and then adopted (I didn't know that she was a "Ryan Murphy dog" at the time). She needed expensive surgery when she was rescued, so without his money, they wouldn't have been able to take her and she most likely would have been euthanized.

If you save dogs, I will forgive a crappy episode here and there.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    as long as twin peaks and game of thrones are included its acceptable.

house is overrated and boring. grumpy guy solves medical mystery. omg, what happens next? grumpy guy solves medical mystery.

dexter and buffy are a couple shows ive had in the back of my mind to check out at some point (well season 1 of buffy is seeding now)
    But Hugh Laurie! He's so good!

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    But Hugh Laurie! He's so good!
    Particularly when he starts operating on his own leg in the bath tub. I don't watch a lot of TV, but finding that randomly one evening was rivetting.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Particularly when he starts operating on his own leg in the bath tub. I don't watch a lot of TV, but finding that randomly one evening was rivetting.
    Fuck yeah. House is crazy as fuck lol.

Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-bg

Oprah!