View Poll Results: what is Leary's type?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

0 0%
  • SEI (ISFp)

0 0%
  • ESE (ESFj)

0 0%
  • LII (INTj)

1 100.00%
  • SLE (ESTp)

0 0%
  • IEI (INFp)

0 0%
  • EIE (ENFj)

0 0%
  • LSI (ISTj)

0 0%
  • SEE (ESFp)

0 0%
  • ILI (INTp)

0 0%
  • LIE (ENTj)

0 0%
  • ESI (ISFj)

0 0%
  • IEE (ENFp)

0 0%
  • SLI (ISTp)

0 0%
  • LSE (ESTj)

0 0%
  • EII (INFj)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Timothy Leary

Creepy-bg

Default Timothy Leary

Random bits from the wikipedia article...
    Leary attended three different colleges and was disciplined in each.[2] He studied briefly at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts, but reacted badly to the strict training at the Jesuit institution. He also attended West Point but was forced to resign after an incident involving smuggling liquor during a school field exercise and an extended period of a schoolwide "silent treatment."
    In 1965 Leary commented that he "...learned more about...(his)brain and its possibilities....(and) more about psychology in the five hours after taking these mushrooms than...(he)had in the preceding fifteen years of studying doing (sic) research in psychology..."Upon his return to Harvard that fall, Leary and his associates, notably Richard Alpert (later known as Ram Dass), began a research program known as the Harvard Psilocybin Project. The goal was to analyze the effects of psilocybin on human subjects using a synthesized version of the drug--one of two active compounds in the so-called Mexican mushroom--that was produced according to a recipe concocted by Albert Hoffman, a research chemist at Sandoz Pharmaceuticals.
    It wasn't long before any pretense to scientific detachment fell away and controlled experiments were chucked in favor of missionary zeal and contempt for all mundane exigencies. Chaotic tripping parties ensued, involving students, under "spiritual" or "philosophical" pretexts.
    "We saw ourselves as anthropologists from the twenty-first century inhabiting a time module set somewhere in the dark ages of the 1960s. On this space colony we were attempting to create a new paganism and a new dedication to life as art."
    On September 19th 1966, Leary founded the League for Spiritual Discovery, a religion with LSD as its holy sacrament (by doing this, he hoped to legalize LSD based on a "freedom of religion" argument). Although The Brotherhood of Eternal Love would subsequently consider Leary their spiritual leader, The Brotherhood did not evolve out of IFIF.
    In 1970, Leary received a ten-year sentence for possessing two roaches of marijuana, which he claimed were planted by the arresting officer. When Leary arrived in prison, he was given psychological tests that were used to assign inmates to appropriate work details. Having designed many of the tests himself, Leary answered them in such a way that he seemed to be a very conforming, conventional person with a great interest in forestry and gardening.[15]

As a result, Leary was assigned to work as a gardener in a lower security prison, which made escape possible. Leary claimed his non-violent escape was a humorous prank and left a challenging note for the authorities to find after he was gone.
    Other interests

Leary on several occasions flirted with the occult and was a member of the magical order of the Illuminates of Thanateros.

Leary also believed that advances in technology could provide insights similar to those of psychedelic drugs, and lectured in the early 1990's on virtual reality.

Leary's final forecast for the future was encompassed in the acronym "SMI2LE" standing for "space migration", "intelligence increase" and "life extension."

Wikipedia Timothy Leary article
    Leary's 8-circut model of the psyche

Quotes...
    "Civilization is unbearable, but it is less unbearable at the top. "

"If you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove. "

"Learning how to operate a soul figures to take time. "

"Science is all metaphor. "

"Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition. "

"You're only as young as the last time you changed your mind. "

I think the snippets I quoted from the article shows a lack of interrest/respect for authority and hiarchal structures. This to me suggest Alpha, but could also possibly be gamma rebelling against a defective system. As the leader of the psychadelic movement Leary's goal was enlightenment for the masses and to bring about a new social consiousness. In my opinion Leary was aware of the possibilities open to him through LSD to shape a generation into this new consiousness and seized upon it. It has been said at the time the FBI considered Leary to be the most dangerous man in America.

Sooo anyways what's his type? I don't have a clear read on it but I'm thinking INTj, ENTp, or perhaps even INFj. Then again I suck at this sort of thing so I'm open to other suggestions.

Last edited by silke; 04-17-2018 at 01:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he was ENTj.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think he was an extravert, probably intuitive. He was a tireless promoter of his views, kept moving around, starting new projects, etc. And he was bombastic and scandalous, intentionally stirring up controversy. He was magnetic and charismatic and full of himself.

He seems everywhere to have a different face and image. That suggests and usually EIE.

Here's a better article on him:
    http://www.newyorker.com/critics/boo...0626crbo_books

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I would think he was an extravert, probably intuitive. He was a tireless promoter of his views, kept moving around, starting new projects, etc. And he was bombastic and scandalous, intentionally stirring up controversy. He was magnetic and charismatic and full of himself.

He seems everywhere to have a different face and image. That suggests and usually EIE.

Here's a better article on him:
    http://www.newyorker.com/critics/boo...0626crbo_books
    is it just me or have you typed an inordinate amount of people as EIE in the past week or so?

not saying you're wrong here since i have extremely limited knowledge of this guy.

Creepy-bg

Thank you for the link Rick. Wow... weird bit of synchronicity in there. They compare Leary to Wilhelm Reich who I first learned about a month or so ago and have been researching his orgone thing since. That was weird Generally a good article however the author I think is biased against the LSD experience. It really comes out in the final paragraph where he brings up the genetic damage reports without mentioning they were bad science. Whatever though...

Back to Leary... I can accept EIE actually... The more I think about it the more it fits.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    is it just me or have you typed an inordinate amount of people as EIE in the past week or so?

not saying you're wrong here since i have extremely limited knowledge of this guy.
    When a lightbulb goes on, it usually illuminates several people at once . Also, EIE is often overlooked as a possibility by people at this forum. But actually, that's just coincidence. During this time I've added a number of new famous people to my site, and none were EIE.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ew. I think he'd be my supervisor (ENTp) more than anything. He seems like the kind of fucktard that would try to get me to more outgoing or say stupid shit like 'smile more, you'd feel better'. Like he'd constantly see that I have potential but I'd never be 'good enough.' I would be uncomfortable in the same room with him, because he would be like an INFj on crack.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SLeo123083
    Ew. I think he'd be my supervisor (ENTp) more than anything. He seems like the kind of fucktard that would try to get me to more outgoing or say stupid shit like 'smile more, you'd feel better'.
    ILEs very rarely act like this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

user rick should complete his type descriptions. We need more data + confusion, thank you.
    asd

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hint accepted.
    I'll see what I can do about it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hint accepted.
    I'll see what I can do about it.
    i think 'type motivation' could be one of the best ideas for understanding type even with the limited information you've provided. We're hungry rick. starving rick. Don't you have a job to do?
    asd

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Job?? I work out on the fields picking strawberries from 7 a.m. to 20 p.m., and the rest of my waking hours I etch out socionics descriptions on stolen recycled paper. Give me some slack, no?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Job?? I work out on the fields picking strawberries from 7 a.m. to 20 p.m., and the rest of my waking hours I etch out socionics descriptions on stolen recycled paper. Give me some slack, no?
    you took the 'no' right from my mouth to end your sentence.
    asd

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rick, what type do you think Heathiepoo is?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, his (or her?) joking here reminds me of and humor.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EIE is probably right, though he could be both ethical or logical. I'm not sure if logical

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had to chime in. This one is very tough. Timothy Leary is confusing because he is pretending to be someone else. It is admitted that he was working for the government, pretending to take drugs, getting fake arrested and receiving lots of media attention. The purpose was to make the hippies look dumb and get them to take more drugs. Believe me or don't, watch his interviews and see what a shallow faker he sounds like.

He is pretending to be N and pretending to be F. Notice the physical pushiness of his gestures and his face. Also notice how meaty his face and chin are, and the thin tight lips. His mouth and hands and gestures are animated but his eyebrows are stationary. He has no real or spontaneous charisma. See the military bearing behind his words. He sounds like he is reading from a script written by an EIE, but he is not. He pretends to be wishy washy, but he really isn't. He is the dominant Dynamo, ESTP-Se, SLE, the Commander-Coordinator.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think you could just say its an example of IEE with a SLE super ego and drop the conspiracy theory

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

reminds Gulenko

mb both use similar ways to expand the knowledge

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

He's for sure an introvert, just listening to him speak he doesn't 'bounce' off his surroundings but rather his impressions come from inside, as an inner reflection.

Then he started reminding me of Gulenko in that Folsom prison interview. Going with INTj 5w6 contra-flow (sx/so?).