912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Philip Roth

pictures

http://www.google.com/search?q=phili...HevDyAG23oD4Dw

quotes

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/463.Philip_Roth

I don't know anything about him, really, he just caught my attention with the quote in my sig. just from vi my sloppy guess would be ixtx. this thread would be better if I wasn't on my phone but I am so it's not. thank you for participating anyway!

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I guess ILE, just a guess though

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

here are some pictures and quotes right here for people who don't want to click stuff.

“These girls with old gents don't do it despite the age—they're drawn to the age, they do it for the age. Why? In Consuela's case, because the vast difference in age gives her permission to submit, I think. My age and my
    status give her, rationally, the license to surrender, and surrendering in bed is a not unpleasant sensation. But simultaneously, to give yourself over intimately to a much, much older man provides this sort of younger woman with authority of a kind she cannot get in a sexual arrangement with a younger man. She gets both the pleasures of submission and the pleasures of mastery.”

“No matter how much you know, no matter how much you think, no matter how much you plot and you connive and you plan, you're not superior to sex. It's a very risky game. A man wouldn't have two-thirds of the problems he has if he didn't venture off to get fucked. It's sex that disorders our normally ordered lives.”

“Because that is when you love somebody - when you see them being game in the face of the worst. Not courageous. Not heroic. Just game.”

“You put too much stock in human intelligence, it doesn't annihilate human nature.”

“He had learned the worst lesson that life can teach - that it makes no sense.”

“People were standing up everywhere shouting, "This is me! This is me!" Every time you looked at them they stood up and told you who they were, and the truth of it was that they had no more idea who or what they were than he had. They believed their flashing signs, too. They ought to be standing up and shouting, "This isn't me! This isn't me!" They would if they had any decency. "This isn't me!" Then you might know how to proceed through the flashing bullshit of this world.”

“You go to someone and you think, 'I'll tell him this.' But why? The impulse is that the telling is going to relieve you. And that's why you feel awful later--you've relieved yourself, and if it truly is tragic and awful, it's not better, it's worse---the exhibitionism inherent to a confession has only made the misery worse.”

“Nothing lasts and yet nothing passes either, and nothing passes just because nothing lasts.”

“Yes, alone we are, deeply alone, and always, in store for us, a layer of loneliness even deeper. There is nothing we can do to dispose of that. No, loneliness shouldn’t surprise us, as astonishing to experience as it may be. You can try yourself inside out, but all you are then is inside out and lonely instead of inside in and lonely. My stupid, stupid Merry dear, stupider even that your stupid father, not even blowing up buildings helps. It’s lonely if there are buildings and it’s lonely if there are buildings and it’s lonely if there are no buildings. There is no protest to be lodged against loneliness⎯not all the bombing campaigns in history have made a dent in it. The most lethal of manmade explosives can’t touch it. Stand in awe not of Communism, my idiot child, but of ordinary, everyday loneliness.”

“I was gushing and I knew it. I surprised myself with my eagerness to please, felt myself saying too much, explaining too much, overinvolved and overexcited in the way you are when you're a kid and you think you've found a soul mate in the new boy down the street and you feel yourself drawn by the force of the courtship and so act as you don't normally do and a lot more openly than you may even want to.”

“what was astonishing to him was how people seemed to run out of their own being, run out of whatever the stuff was that made them who they were and, drained of themselves, turn into the sort of people they would once have felt sorry for. it was as though while their lives were rich and full they were secretly sick of themselves and couldn’t wait to dispose of their sanity and their health and all sense of proportion so as to get down to that other self, the true self, who was a wholly deluded fuckup.”

“I’m interested in what people do with the chaos in their lives and how they respond to it, and simultaneously what they do with what they feel like are limitations. If they push against these limitations, will they wind up in the realm of chaos, or will they push against limitations and wind up in the world of freedom?”

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

kinda looks like my lii>lsi dad. i think ile is possible.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Axioms axioms axioms axioms axioms axioms axioms axioms axioms blowing everywhere axioms axioms axioms axioms axioms axioms axioms axioms axioms axioms...

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i'll settle on LII.

going once
    going twice

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@labster what say you?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wish i could say i felt a strong kinship with his thinking, but no. a lot of times his emphasis on various things is ordered opposite to what i'd find most helpful and i have to read over his sentences multiple times to "get" him.

i don't see very strong reason to think of him as alpha NT and since a die roll's chance of him being that type is 1 out of 8 i'm going to guess he is not that.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

lol pft ^_^

the new yorker sartre link in your sig is quality lol.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I only read Portnoy's Complaint and it's not something extraordinary imo.

type-wise I think LII E9/1 sp/sx