Thread: How to turn a bad day around?

TIM
    IEI-Fe 9w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to turn a bad day around?

I'm having a really bad day and I need some advice. How do you usually turn a bad day around?

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't know about you but when I'm having a bad day, the hardest thing to do is exactly what helps, which is to stop moping and engage in some kind of activity that is physically and mentally engaging enough to provide a distraction to tide me over.

some ideas that might provide that:
    calling a friend and going out
    creating something - a painting, a scrapbook, a recipe, a snowman. something that requires time away from the computer.
    going somewhere you've never been before to check it out. maybe a new store or restaurant has opened up recently nearby.
    exercise. hahaha. I never do this one.

the worst part is getting over the hump of motivation when I'm in a sorry state to actually get my ass up. but once that hump is over its usually smooth sailing because I've placed myself in a situation where I'm adequately distracted enough to stop dwelling pointlessly. and if something specific is wrong I can come back to it later in a better frame of mind.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a pizza and watch cute animal videos.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Get a pizza
    Feel fat..
    and watch cute animal videos.
    ..and ugly.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kick small animals, harass children on the street with knives and rusty 17th century farming tools, run into a packed shopping mall or movie theater and scream about a bomb or some kind of apocalyptical event happening outside. Always puts a kick in my step.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually sprint until all the oxygen is depleted from my body and my legs are shaking then collapse into a warm bath and meditate.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    I usually sprint until all the oxygen is depleted from my body and my legs are shaking then collapse into a warm bath and meditate.

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah that's wierd, haha

go ahead and cap a vid of that lemme know how it goes.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Feel fat..
    ..and ugly.
    Why would cute animals make you feel ugly?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    yeah that's wierd, haha

go ahead and cap a vid of that lemme know how it goes.
    My friend's girlfriend's aunt's weird Austrian boyfriend Gerhardt used to ingest his own semen once a week, "for medicinal purposes." We pestered him about it to get to the bottom of his interest in this goofy activity and finally made him admit he only did it because he liked it.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lunarpine View Post
    I'm having a really bad day and I need some advice. How do you usually turn a bad day around?
    It turns itself around. Or it doesn't. No other way.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do what you like to do to get your mind off things.

TIM
    IEI-Fe 9w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsy View Post
    Do drugs.
    I saw that one coming, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fireyed View Post
    Go home, put on warm pajama bottoms, make hot tea (or hot coco), and some delicious food. Snuggle in warm blanket and proceed to watch Disney movies.
    Ah, a pure shot of Disney, couldn't have said it better myself.

Turns out a run in the sunshine is another way of curing a bad day

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Puppies!
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think about your problems obsessively until you've solved them

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

My friend's girlfriend's aunt's weird Austrian boyfriend Gerhardt used to ingest his own semen once a week, "for medicinal purposes." We pestered him about it to get to the bottom of his interest in this goofy activity and finally made him admit he only did it because he liked it.
    I don't think it matters what excuse one would have for that, that is not something anyone should ever tell other people.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rarely ever have what I'd categorically call a "bad day." The trick for me is to see life in full color: don't think in black-or-white terms. Don't let isolated negative events color your whole day. Each day is a diverse banquet of various experiences, but sometimes we'll tend to let a few consecutive instances of bad luck glom together in our mind as one monolothic overlay of suckitude. Try to let isolated instances remain discrete little events; a handful of many that fill your day.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, although I think the mental attitude helps support whatever you turn to for instant mood gratification. Without that, I'd probably end up ruminating or obsessing over what went wrong, and any attempt to shift gears would be thwarted. Although, sometimes you can channel that energy into something, like anger and working out. Some of my best workouts have come out of anger, lol.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would cute animals make you feel ugly?
    Let's put it this way:
    I'm 6'3 hairless ape man with flat-feet and an unhealthy microwave meal in my hands, a real ape is cute, natural and inspires sympathy.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    lmao!

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    perfect.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

spankit
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nil View Post
    I don't think it matters what excuse one would have for that, that is not something anyone should ever tell other people.
    Then I would be short one less strange anecdote to share. Now that I think about it, I wonder whether Gerhardt ever tried jenkem.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lunarpine View Post
    One suggestion I've read is to review the day and find 3 positive things about the day. (eg a lesson learned, a smile, etc)
    Also, find 3 interesting things about the day. (eg i wonder what would happen if I call her back and say "", or what would it be like to have experienced ..[insert something positive or alternative pov]...)

Also, finding music or movie that puts out the same feelings you are. If angry...angry music, etc. this is an easy way to feel 'sympathized w, w/o bothering anyone else.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEI-Fe 9w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on the other hand it's always nice to know that there are people out there who are far crazier than me

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always a bonus.

We eventually took to calling Gerhardt "Wig-Hard" because he flipped his shit on mushrooms during a camping trip and his naked and raving ass had to be forcibly held on the ground to prevent him from injuring himself or anyone in mid-freakout. Austrians are kinda weird anyhow.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Find a dual or, activity partner.

A good friend works to.

Call them up, text, visit, play.

Also try: complain, feel sorry for yourself, play some music, laugh, food, face in the wind, splash water on face, quite time, a nap, tears full on, tears in the vehicle, tears, then a smile, read a book, call your most deppressing friend (hardens resolve), get outside, sun on your face, play with some family, jump on a trampoline, run on a treadmill, lift something heavy, swear, laugh, laugh, laugh, eat some fruit, juice, go shopping, don't go shopping, water - be in it.

Finally, sometimes you just have a bad day, just the way it is. There are thousands more ahead of you. (:

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on just how bad your day is going, sometimes duvets ice cream and films are the only way to get through till the next day which is usually always brighter.

If you have to get motivated...e.g you have some important things to do and or you just want to beat this thing then yes... what other people said about getting yourself moving...physically..it helps..go outside.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    IEI-Fe 9w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wacey View Post
    Find a dual or, activity partner.
    haha, that's not exactly the easiest thing to do

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah....

Do you know how to personally recognize them?
    That's the first thing.

TIM
    IEI-Fe 9w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wacey View Post
    Yeah....

Do you know how to personally recognize them?
    That's the first thing.
    what an idiot, mixed with complete awe = possible dual
    I love spending time with you, now get away from me = probably activity partner

to be honest I feel like the trickiest part isn't recognizing them, it's finding them and entering their territory

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i could be wrong but i think bad days come from feeling entitled to others and then sort of that disappointing wave when you realize that you can't fix others and the stuff you try to help isn't appreciated at all, like as a human you naturally want to be rewarded for being the selfless/giving one but realistically that type of person just ends up feeling suckered/taken advantage of.

i think ironically you have to let yourself get obsessed about something. You have to let yourself get interested in something that you want to do, and probably not worry about others so much. Badness is the yearning for wanting a friend to go on a journey and be into the same things you are but then the reality hits and you are all alone, then you feel bad for being alone- and you put yourself in a ditch. See what happens? Catch-22/conundrum.

the real solution is something that is actually difficult, and i think a problem with all of humanity as a whole- you've really hit on a deeper topic. the trick is to not hold on to when people are genuinely nice to you and say heartfelt comments. But see how hard that is? in a sea full of manipulation and evilness and hatred- we naturally take a friend's kind word really far and deep... and hold on to that and that ironically causes pain like buddha says. and we see GOODNESS not as something independent within ourselves, that's how we see EVIL - we see evil as being independent and strong and goodness as being cooperative. and so 'im having a bad day'- i feel alone, but i try to hold on to other people making me happy- and they end up always dissapointing me, putting me in the same situation i found myself in.

"being okay with your own loneliness" is like the trick for all spiritual masters you know?

TIM
    IEI-Fe 9w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    i could be wrong but i think bad days come from feeling entitled to others and then sort of that disappointing wave when you realize that you can't fix others and the stuff you try to help isn't appreciated at all, like as a human you naturally want to be rewarded for being the selfless/giving one but realistically that type of person just ends up feeling suckered/taken advantage of.

i think ironically you have to let yourself get obsessed about something. You have to let yourself get interested in something that you want to do, and probably not worry about others so much. Badness is the yearning for wanting a friend to go on a journey and be into the same things you are but then the reality hits and you are all alone, then you feel bad for being alone- and you put yourself in a ditch. See what happens? Catch-22/conundrum.

the real solution is something that is actually difficult, and i think a problem with all of humanity as a whole- you've really hit on a deeper topic. the trick is to not hold on to when people are genuinely nice to you and say heartfelt comments. But see how hard that is? in a sea full of manipulation and evilness and hatred- we naturally take a friend's kind word really far and deep... and hold on to that and that ironically causes pain like buddha says. and we see GOODNESS not as something independent within ourselves, that's how we see EVIL - we see evil as being independent and strong and goodness as being cooperative. and so 'im having a bad day'- i feel alone, but i try to hold on to other people making me happy- and they end up always dissapointing me, putting me in the same situation i found myself in.

"being okay with your own loneliness" is like the trick for all spiritual masters you know?
    You're definitely onto something

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Read about prison conditions in overcrowded American and Asian jails. Makes you feel much better by comparison.

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Watch 'Groundhog Day'

You get to watch Bill Murray be hilarious
    AND
    it's also a step-by-step guide in how to turn a bad day into a good one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast