Thread: Large or small psychological distances

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Large or small psychological distances

Can anyone give examples of how psychological distance manifests in the different types of relationships, from your own experience?

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics is about psychological distance - or at least an important aspect of it which is quarta and sociotype relations. Other forms of distance could be from other factors, but as far as universals, that is what this theory is about.

God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
    - John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

is there any way to rephrase that question? i don't understand it.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be more specific, the different relationships are characterized as having either a large or small psychological distance.

Here is a link to a relationship chart that show whether a relationship has small or large psychological distance:

http://rickdelong.com/socionics/theo...ionships.shtml

For example: activity relations, which are favorable, have a large psychological distance. Super ego relations, which are unfavorable, have a close psychological distance.

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

interesting, never noticed intertypes defined in those terms before. whats being called large and small psychological distance is whether or not rationality and irrationality line up. i'll let somebody else talk about that o/

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know what "psychological distance" means. Is that when I'm next to a girl and I feel things?

TIM
    Fi/Te 641 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    I dont know what "psychological distance" means. Is that when I'm next to a girl and I feel things?
    yes.

*tosses a stick*

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It means (in the context used in the link provided) that two people are slighty out of sync with each other - in a manner that they will not completely let down their guard. In the regular world, it is has a looser sense of not being familiar or on familiar terms with somebody.

God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
    - John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I feel close does it usually mean she feels close too?

edit: yes. yes it does, except when its clearly one sided. .
    Last edited by Azure Flame; 01-28-2013 at 08:16 PM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

there are so many relationships. Can I just give you examples of a few as they relate to me?

LSI and EII: the distance is like this

EII expect LSI to be like LSE in that they want an LSI to talk about their family, relationships, etc; but the LSI being reserved, they don't talk, they keep things close to their breast and don't easily share information.

Because the LSI doesn't talk and the EII can't relate, and because EII can't be fake nice and charm them in other ways there's a huge psychological distance created by not relinquishing information and talking about what informational aspects one prefers.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    To be more specific, the different relationships are characterized as having either a large or small psychological distance.

Here is a link to a relationship chart that show whether a relationship has small or large psychological distance:

http://rickdelong.com/socionics/theo...ionships.shtml

For example: activity relations, which are favorable, have a large psychological distance. Super ego relations, which are unfavorable, have a close psychological distance.
    According to Rick DeLong himself, all of that stuff is BS, because Socionics is BS. But anyway: It's like the definitions on that page state:

EP + EP = short
    EP + IP = short
    EJ + EJ = short
    EJ + IJ = short

all other combinations are long psychological distance. If you want to understand better (on each page, look for the descriptions of interaction with other temperaments):

http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...EP_temperament

http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...IP_temperament

http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...EJ_temperament

http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...IJ_temperament

Another way of defining long and short psychological distance you will frequently encounter in Socionics, has to do with the kind of interaction between types:

long distance: casual interaction, e.g. friends, in situations not working on realizing a common goal.

short psychological distance: situations where people have to work together, share a common space etc. Basically all kinds of situations where people have to accommodate one another, define goals and carry out plans together, instruct or teach each other, etc.
    The future of Socionics:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Many black Americans are SEE type.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You were asking for practical examples: I had quite some Delta/Gamma IJ-friends in the past. It was often difficult to make a short term appointment with them if you spontaneously wanted to go do something together. A good IJ friend of mine always wanted to come along, provided I asked him three weeks in advance. But I don't plan that far ahead, so we only went to see concerts together, since those require you to buy tickets way in advance.
    Last edited by consentingadult; 01-30-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    The future of Socionics:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Many black Americans are SEE type.

TIM
    EIE-Se
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That chart actually looks pretty accurate. There are often tiffs or little flare-ups with the "close psyche distance" group IME but they get resolved quickly and easily in most cases. In the case with the latter half, if there's any resentment it slowly builds until relations simply break. Also, a lot more formality is required when dealing with them, which can make relations seem precarious.
    Dandelion Fluff Upon a Spoon

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Meh I wish there was an option for medium psychological distance? I get too lonely having far psychological distance with ppl, and too involved/codependent when close.

To answer your question though I am not sure exactly what you are looking for... I kinda think for Fe types the closeness is more potent but more changing or something. I don't know how to explain it in a very brain-y way, just some people I feel comfortable with reaching over and touching their dick and snuggling against their chest, whereas others I know I would get punched in the face for that... I think humans generally speaking trust lowering their boundaries by the amount the other person genuinely protects their vulnerabilities. (which can fluctuate a lot because people are two-faced and backstabby) So idealistically that would make dual 'the best' but right now I am trying to have the best psychological distance with myself before anybody else.

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah well you want some complicated brainy answer I know but life just isn't that interesting, sorry. =p

Socionics probably doesn't exist. Don't let it go to your head.