Thread: Two Epidemics of American Society

Creepy-male

Default Two Epidemics of American Society

CAS (Chronic Asshole Syndrome)

and

Obesity

Thoughts, Solutions, Stories?

(please do not troll this thread with carry over from the walmart thread or I will shut it down like the health inspector at some trashy take out place).

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

More gym class and recess in the schools, more paved areas for people to walk on, abolishment of nudity laws with businesses upholding their own standards on the issue within their claimed territories, making it legal for two people to beat the shit out of each other after it's mutually agreed upon explicitly or implicitly; hell, slugging it out with people's gonna be a hell of a workout, and if you wanna win those fights, you better be in shape!
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Asshole-itis is cured by a greater sense of community. We are so "individual" that our community is lost. We reward people for looking like fruit loops weirdos just because it's unique. Too much celebrity worship. Not enough ground-work. Shouldn't obsess over so many people who would never help you move.

A bit of asshole-ness is okay though I suppose, 'utopias' don't work. We all have an asshole and some people are just going to speak with their rectums more than others. But I agree, we shouldn't shit on people so much. We should reward kindness and simple niceness.

As for obesity, we all need to be the change we want to see in the world with that. I think that's a matter of personal responsibility.

I AM AN AMERICAN. I AM EXTROVERTED, OBESE AND STRAIGHT. THAT MEANS I AM ALWAYS RIGHT. LOOK AT MY NARCISSISM!

instead of coddling that attitude we should kick it in the nuts. I should not be a second class citizen still just because I'm gay. If you say my gayness doesn't matter, then don't try to discriminate me from anything because of said gayness. You can't say it doesn't matter and then say i can't get married to a dude. Fuck that shit. I'm gonna marry who i want, bitches!

we should cure homophobia and its brother, misogyny - in more states than just California and some of the new england ones.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raise our daughters with affection, and try to instill a moral foundation for our sons. That alone would change the world dramatically.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be the change you want to see in the world.
    Easy Day

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start by creating a worthless junk food tax on food with no nutritional value? I agree with Woof - more recess and gym class and less sitting on your bottom in school. Teach kids to build stuff and use their bodies as much as they are using their brains. Also, I don't think it is PC any more to tell people, "You are being greedy." But it might help to bring that statement back into fashion. I am pretty sure that no one wants to hear that.

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shang Tsung View Post

and

Obesity

(please do not troll this thread with carry over from the walmart thread or I will shut it down like the health inspector at some trashy take out place).
    But that's what this thread is.. carry over from the walmart thread. I don't know what you want from me. You want an apology written in blood? I've already apologized for going too far.

You're like people who watch dr. phil to be mortified. You should see the ratings on those shows. The worst shows always get the highest ratings... And you should look at how many views the walmart thread got compared to all the other threads at that time.

What is it people get from watching these shows? A vicarious sense of their moral integrity? Hmmm, I wonder why you'd need reassurance of that...

Do you want it to be known that you are the good guy?

Yeah, you're a good person, shang.
    Last edited by rat1; 02-28-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratfugue View Post
    Nah your fine, I don't want an apology. The entire topic is just tongue in cheek, although if you feel persecuted I'd suggest just laying low in this topic at least until things settle.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and

Obesity

Off the top of my head, so would probably need better wording:

* Government funding the wrong kinds of farming/ranching practices. Pushing high grain diets which is also the diet which cattle are fed for quick growths and lots of fat. Add in high growth hormones in the meats commonly available.

* Lack of required home economics classes throughout school. Parents who weren't taught by their parents likely won't teach their own children, who won't teach their own.
    * why schools? Because schools have become geared twoards providing future customers of colleges. Schools also demand full time work from children without pay. Then demand that the children bring their work home, rather than allowing time for family destressing, real meal making, and quality communications. So either schools need to cut back, or provide the quality parenting they are interfering with (or such).

* High stress environments caused by consumerist demands, advertising causing unrealistic social expectations, credit and debt living leading to living beyond means and thus requiring multiple jobs to try to keep up, and over-population. Also add in that people are being trained by the school systems to bring their work home, reducing relaxation time.

* High stress leads to high cortisol levels which leads to all sorts of physio-psychological problems, including fat production to help protect the body, health issues, frustration, and aggravation at anything that might be causing further stresses.

* Anonymity, both via world wide web and over crowded environments.

* Mirror neurons. Seeing people angry and acting like an asshole strengthens neural pathways related to similar actions and attitudes.

* and a few others i forgot as I was typing out the above....
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem or 'perceived' problem?

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Jims signature reminds me of this...

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    Jims signature reminds me of this...
    This is exactly what I do irl. The likeness is uncanny.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Problem or 'perceived' problem?
    Well all problems are technically just 'perceived' problems

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well all problems are technically just 'perceived' problems
    Agreed. So who perceives this to be a problem and why?

Creepy-male

Agreed. So who perceives this to be a problem and why?
    Well that's why I think this topic is a little tongue in cheek, I don't actually care all that much I'm just throwing it out there for people to talk about. You know its perfectly valid for someone to respond to this topic and say something along the lines of "I actually don't think these are problems and here's why..." and so forth.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My type is better than yours Shang Tsung.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that's why I think this topic is a little tongue in cheek, I don't actually care all that much I'm just throwing it out there for people to talk about. You know its perfectly valid for someone to respond to this topic and say something along the lines of "I actually don't think these are problems and here's why..." and so forth.
    No problem at all it's an interesting trend I've been noticing along with other such silly nonsense as 'gaslighting'.

I just think that most people who don't like assholes just want assholes wrapped up in non-asshole presentation.

Effectively the problem isn't assholes, it's that people don't take people as they are and instead try to modify them and act shocked and appauled when it doesn't happen.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    My type is better than yours Shang Tsung.
    Lol you would, wouldn't you? you little troll.

Effectively the problem isn't assholes, it's that people don't take people as they are and instead try to modify them and act shocked and appauled when it doesn't happen.
    Yea that's why its a little odd to develop "solutions" to that problem I think. Really there is no cure other than patience and not letting them get to ya. However I still dislike interacting with them and I'm still curious as to why people think it occurs.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea that's why its a little odd to develop "solutions" to that problem I think. Really there is no cure other than patience and not letting them get to ya. However I still dislike interacting with them and I'm still curious as to why people think it occurs.
    Well, I'm an asshole, I'm just pretty reasonable for an asshole.

Creepy-male

Well, I'm an asshole, I'm just pretty reasonable for an asshole.
    If you were a competent asshole you'd wait to make that claim until someone was upset with you.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lol you would, wouldn't you? you little troll.
    Of course I would, wouldn't I...

Wouldn't, would.
    Last edited by Absurd; 03-01-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Asshole-itis is cured by a greater sense of community. We are so "individual" that our community is lost.
    This is, in a nutshell, indeed the right analysis, according to sociologists. The question is: what brings about a greater sense of community? The only thing that I can think of, is 'economic hardship'. Only when people really need each other in the economic sense, they will start caring about each other more. Except of course, the occasional humanitarian who likes swimming against the current. They try to do it all the time, but these days are not their times.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    The question is: what brings about a greater sense of community? The only thing that I can think of, is 'economic hardship'.
    i think this is when people turn against each other.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    i think this is when people turn against each other.
    It does in the short term, especially when you go from good times to bad times, like we are currently experiencing. But in the long run, economic dependency makes people toe the line more, i.e. conform to social norms that favor community.

This is why I am skeptic about the short term when it comes to asshole-itis.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Creepy-male

I would agree that communal hardship can bring people to together, but if you consider the full ramifications of such an idea its actually quite disturbing. Considering that the only conditions people get along with each other is when they are in hardship -- this means people are either against each other or working with each other but against something else (the forces of nature etc). It means there is always conflict, you are either experiencing economic hardship, or you are in economic prosperity and in competition with your fellow man (human). You assume that states of cooperation are all driven by necessity, which isn't a bad assumption but economics itself is a little shallow-- a species is also driven to cooperate for procreation and the instincts involved with that, which could be considered "economics" in a way but is slightly different. Also there are benefits to cooperation and society like specialization, I don't have to hunt for my food like ancient man, I can focus on something else while someone else covers the supply of food. When a society gets large enough their is a point to which all occupations are reasonably covered and their is a large amount of choice and fluidity concerning what you can do with your life. In ancient times, if you were an inuit you probably had to learn the basic skills for survival in the harsh conditions and there was little choice. Cooperation in this manner drives people's ability to be more individualistic and free.

There was no such thing in simple societies as intellectuals at least resembling academics today, because immediate practical survival needs dominated social roles, there were thinkers, but now its relatively easy for a certain class of people to labor with their minds instead of practical skills, and so the invention of the cubicle worker and the modern consumer etc, in medieval society you probably could only spend your time in study and routine book work if you were a monk, this also came with having to study and accept christian dogma. Royalty would practice the art of politics, knights the art of war, and priests the art of politics via an ideology, craftsmen would practice their arts as well, with non-skilled labor serving as serfs or commoners which may be able to work their way up to a craftsmen of notable skill, but would be forced to accept christian dogma and could be drafted by a king to serve as a man-at-arms, which would especially suck if your king went on a crusade (you weren't getting back to your life for about 10-20 years) or unless you deserted, if the pope demanded it then well refusing it is could be construed as herasey.

In the 100 years war, englishmen had skill with the longbow, which along with sound strategy (even when it rejected the glorification of knights and the class system) helped Henry defeat the French at Agincourt in 1415. Apparently there was a law enacted in which poachers in the Kings wood would be recruited as men-at-arms or put to death for their transgression. This allowed the english to draft large amounts of longbowmen for their campaign. There were even battles fought against the english that took place at sea and involved hundreds of archers on ships that would clash as a result of port blockades. It could get pretty nasty because if your crew made a wrong move you would essentially be trapped in a crossfire of arrows with no escape, retreating to lower decks resulted in being boarded and nasty close quarter fighting. Ships won could be comandeered and utilized by the victor for future campaigns forcing the other king to build more ships and draft craftsmen, marines (men-at-arms aboard ships), and ship crews. England became a naval super-power through the use of pirates later in its history.

So basically I'm glad that in modern day, I don't have to be drafted into some campaign or forced to accept dogmas... society has made progress -- was this ultimately driven by economic hardship?
    Last edited by male; 03-04-2013 at 03:06 AM.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I refuse to believe that this is an American problem but it's quite common for Americans to mix the concepts of "universal" and "American".

I would agree that communal hardship can bring people to together, but if you consider the full ramifications of such an idea its actually quite disturbing. Considering that the only conditions people get along with each other is when they are in hardship -- this means people are either against each other or working with each other but against something else (the forces of nature etc).
    We should plant the ultimate foreign enemy: the invaders from space. People could be working side by side, humanity more united. Through to propaganda, we should also build a starfleet. And as Star Trek teaches us, once the humanity is able to explore the space, we will be more united. To be honest, I think that Star Trek is a better and more approachable moral guidance than the Bible.

Or we could just create a zombie virus. After the onslaught, there will be less people who are more unified and have learned not to rely on the police but on the community.

Another solution is to destroy everything. It's usually my "when in doubt" reaction and it tends to undo the draining complexities modern life tends to have.

We could also start an anarchosurrealist movement. It's a peaceful way to re-examine our patterns through a way cloaked in humor. Some of the possible steps could be:
    -Demand nudity to politicians to counter their credible status.
    -Demand that politicians should do slave labor for a random person for a week. This will culturally reinforce their status as the servants of the people.
    -Destroy all monuments that are older than 100 years. This would accelerate cultural renewal. This maybe needed in a world that changes faster than before. It also debases the authority of our leaders.
    -Hit me as hard as you can and I'll tell you more.

And this I say with all my loving to humanity: We are not out of ideas, the ones we must implement have just become harder.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    I refuse to believe that this is an American problem but it's quite common for Americans to mix the concepts of "universal" and "American".
    Lol I'm already aware of this but I decided to keep the topic simple in scope. I don't really think its a common for just "Americans" to mix the concepts, in fact I think when people are against "America" in politics and expressing Anti-Americanism, what they are more accurately expressing is being against certain aspects and conditions of the modern age (rampart marketing, corrupt corporations, and so forth).

We should plant the ultimate foreign enemy: the invaders from space. People could be working side by side, humanity more united. Through to propaganda, we should also build a starfleet. And as Star Trek teaches us, once the humanity is able to explore the space, we will be more united. To be honest, I think that Star Trek is a better and more approachable moral guidance than the Bible.
    Lol yea that is the basis for such survival, disaster, humanity vs alien, and related stories and film. Humanity bands together and fits off the enemy. Star Trek is also pretty good I have to admit in its approach to human issues, although typically there is a bias of Star Trek being uncool and nerdy so that's a bit unfortunate. Really I don't know why its so nerdy other than a history of over obsessed fans with poor social skills.

Or we could just create a zombie virus. After the onslaught, there will be less people who are more unified and have learned not to rely on the police but on the community.
    Yea another story element with themes of human cooperation versus some major threat.

Another solution is to destroy everything. It's usually my "when in doubt" reaction and it tends to undo the draining complexities modern life tends to have.
    Yea lol, modifications of this for me are either an apathetic feeling of "fuck everything" or simply considering the positive to a sudden mass extinction like getting hit with a rogue gamma ray burst.

We could also start an anarchosurrealist movement. It's a peaceful way to re-examine our patterns through a way cloaked in humor. Some of the possible steps could be:
    -Demand nudity to politicians to counter their credible status.
    -Demand that politicians should do slave labor for a random person for a week. This will culturally reinforce their status as the servants of the people.
    -Destroy all monuments that are older than 100 years. This would accelerate cultural renewal. This maybe needed in a world that changes faster than before. It also debases the authority of our leaders.
    -Hit me as hard as you can and I'll tell you more.
    lol funny

And this I say with all my loving to humanity: We are not out of ideas, the ones we must implement have just become harder.
    Yea, this is interesting though as I think a lot of times when people have the blues about the modern era they sometimes want to regress back to simpler times, thinking that people were better back then and so forth. After studying history, I think this is just the "grass is always greener on the other side" syndrome, as reviewing history-- humanity has improved quite a bit (at least in my opinion). I wouldn't want to live as a serf under some medieval king and its nice that modern society allows me freedom, mobility, and individuality. I just think the problems have become more complex and changed. For example there is still a large amount of what you could call oppression and its not "American" although like I said above it gets confused as that because America is so prominent in the media and spotlight in the modern age. The more modern oppression is more subtle in it's context and involves people being willingly influenced to be beurocratic, safe, consumers that feel apathetic and lacking in their real humanity. It's more like "hey don't worry about that, just relax and buy this stuff, there isn't that nice? Now you don't have to worry about the boring shit life you live because you can watch television and drink starbucks and buy porn". Jokingly this clip is quite revealing of such a thought process by a comedian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6K8yfQYOTQ

The stuff he says towards the end is more relevant to what I'm saying.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol I'm already aware of this but I decided to keep the topic simple in scope. I don't really think its a common for just "Americans" to mix the concepts, in fact I think when people are against "America" in politics and expressing Anti-Americanism, what they are more accurately expressing is being against certain aspects and conditions of the modern age (rampart marketing, corrupt corporations, and so forth).
    Agreed. It does seem to culminate in the USA actually but most of the critizism towards "Americanism" can be just as well used against most Western cultures.
    Star Trek is also pretty good I have to admit in its approach to human issues, although typically there is a bias of Star Trek being uncool and nerdy so that's a bit unfortunate. Really I don't know why its so nerdy other than a history of over obsessed fans with poor social skills.
    I know right! Since I consider myself as a nerd with good social skills I have shown Star Trek to some cool girls like Agarina and my ex. I hope they will make Star Trek rank cooler than it currently is.
    lol funny
    Suppose if some of those would be achievable, would you think that they would be advisable?
    For example there is still a large amount of what you could call oppression and its not "American" although like I said above it gets confused as that because America is so prominent in the media and spotlight in the modern age. The more modern oppression is more subtle in it's context and involves people being willingly influenced to be beurocratic, safe, consumers that feel apathetic and lacking in their real humanity. It's more like "hey don't worry about that, just relax and buy this stuff, there isn't that nice? Now you don't have to worry about the boring shit life you live because you can watch television and drink starbucks and buy porn".
    Agreed. The modern slavery is done through luring people in to entertainingly distracting choices and debt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6K8yfQYOTQ

The stuff he says towards the end is more relevant to what I'm saying.
    Originally I thought this was going to be Bill Hick-ish but this was fairly fresh in how it was conveyed, although people have talked about this for decades.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden