Thread: Knowledge is power or Ignorance is bliss?

TIM
    ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Knowledge is power or Ignorance is bliss?

I say both.

Which do you find better for your own personal ....journey through...life?

TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    631 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

interesting question. knowledge is power.
    maybe ignorance is bliss but when i catch a scent i always end up following it, otherwise it drives me nuts.

TIM
    ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same!!!

I'll go digging for truth, even if I don't have a question yet because I like to know everything. but usually I will torture myself by pondering that I'd probably be happier not knowing, after I know.

I try to curb it. but most of the time I don't even want to because though I may despise the hypocrisy of humans, I also like it.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how they would collide. Most proverbs people say feel true in the context but there are often opposite proverbs.

Two's company, Three's a crowd.
    The more, the merrier.

Never judge a book by its cover.
    Clothes make the man.

The best things in life are free.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Silence is golden.
    The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Wisdom is the thing that lies between these opposites.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    ESI-Se 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wisdom may be knowing that the answer depends on the circumstance? That nothing is universal, nothing [involving humans] is complete black/white. And empathy goes a long way until it doesn't.

Creepy-pikachu

Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    I say both.

Which do you find better for your own personal ....journey through...life?

lol, the Portland metro is seriously Delta-ville, USA.

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae View Post
    lol, the Portland metro is seriously Delta-ville, USA.
    Yeah, it sure is neat how Deltas like to "know things"
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

Creepy-pikachu

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Yeah, it sure is neat how Deltas like to "know things"
    You bein bitchy again?

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae View Post
    You bein bitchy again?
    GUESS
    "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -Roald Dahl

http://forum.socionix.com/
    It's pretty cool

Creepy-pikachu

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    GUESS
    Yes.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Imo, Ignorance may make you happy in the moment, but knowledge will make you happy in the long run.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

Creepy-male

The mythological tale of Prometheus -- He stole fire from the gods to give man technology but was punished for it by having his liver eaten out everyday for the rest of his existence. Or how Odin gave a single eye to gain wisdom and something involving a crow ?? But the point is many myths have reflected this theme that knowledge comes at a cost or price. I guess the real question is why do people seek knowledge =p

(also this theme is reflected in the judeo-christian system where the forbidden fruit is the fruit of knowledge or enlightenment and is the reason for man's separation from god and paradise)

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It depends. There are two kinds of ignorance.

1. Not knowing and not being aware that you don't know. Just "being". This would be the more blissful type.

2. Not knowing but thinking that you do. This type is just, well.... ignorant.

Knowledge is indeed power. But maybe the more you know, the more you know that you don't know (hey, another cliche!). And the more you know makes you aware that you are not even aware of the things you don't know. Thus, leading back to ignorance type 1 and more bliss.

But this last part is just speculation. Does ^ make sense to anyone? Because it makes sense in my head, but when I read it out loud it doesn't.

cunnilingus epilepsy inducer
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shang Tsung View Post
    The mythological tale of Prometheus -- He stole fire from the gods to give man technology but was punished for it by having his liver eaten out everyday for the rest of his existence. Or how Odin gave a single eye to gain wisdom and something involving a crow ?? But the point is many myths have reflected this theme that knowledge comes at a cost or price. I guess the real question is why do people seek knowledge =p

(also this theme is reflected in the judeo-christian system where the forbidden fruit is the fruit of knowledge or enlightenment and is the reason for man's separation from god and paradise)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anansi#...rsal_of_wisdom

Anansi and the dispersal of wisdom

Anansi was already very clever, but he decided to gather together all the wisdom he could find and keep it in a safe place.With all the wisdom sealed in a pot, he was still concerned that it was not safe enough, so he secretly took the pot to a tall thorny tree in the forest (in some versions the Silk Cotton tree). His young son, Ntikuma, saw him go and followed him at some distance to see what he was doing.

The pot was too big for Anansi to hold while he climbed the tree, so he tied it in front of him. Like this the pot was in the way and Anansi kept slipping down, getting more and more frustrated and angry with each attempt.

Ntikuma laughed when he saw what Anansi was doing. "Why don't you tie the pot behind you, then you will be able to grip the tree?" he suggested.

Anansi was so annoyed by his failed attempts and the realisation that his child was right that he let the pot slip. It smashed and all the wisdom fell out. Just at this moment a storm arrived and the rain washed the wisdom into the stream. It was taken out to sea, and spread all around the world, so that there is now a little of it in everyone.

Though Anansi chased his son home through the rain, he was reconciled to the loss, for, he says: "What is the use of all that wisdom if a young child still needs to put you right?"

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shang Tsung View Post

You mixed everything together and it doesn't make any sense.

Anyhow, everyone having access to world's information is power which means staying ahead of various developments and knowing where the market is going?

Ignorance [is bliss] would be the opposite of that...