Thread: Base function numbness?

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Base function numbness?

Do you think its possible that personalities grow numb to their own base function?

For example: I spent most of my teen years doing fast paced extreme sports, video games, etc. These all got boring, and eventually I dropped the expensive addictive sensory stimulating activities and went for more "meaningful" experiences.

As an Se dom, I also experience pressure of objects around me at all times. I can sense their trajectories, pressures, weights, textures, viscosity etc. For this reason cafeterias make me nearly autistic because everything is wet and you don't know what anything is but I can sense it all around me. When I was young, I used to get very powerful pleasing sensations when staring through colored glass. I'd hold transparent lego pieces up to my eyes to make the world a different color, I'd look through grape soda bottles to see the distorted colored reality. As the years progressed these pleasing sensations dropped until at this point I almost never feel them anymore. I used to have this daydream where I'd sit in a black hallway with colored columns that lit the hallway and cast diamonds of green light on the ground while a deep bass hum reverberated in the background. These sorts of pure sensory experiences no longer come to me anymore as I get older. I did it again recently and focussed on the colors really hard, and actually managed to artificially get that excited feeling I used to get. But its still very hard to accomplish.

I know several Feeling dominant personalities who will watch extremely fucked up anime's and listen to music that is "disturbing" simply because it makes them feel SOMETHING.

Do you think its possible that personalities eventually grow bored of their base function and try to experience other things? If so, is there anything similar you experience?
    Last edited by Azure Flame; 01-14-2013 at 03:33 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here. Into my teens, I'd do a lot of athletic things until dark, always kind of pushing how long I could be out. I also got into more trouble just being curious/getting my hands in stupid shit. That's the only way I learned. Some of it got the adrenaline pumping, so you could say it's similar to sports. There's a lot of solid reasons why it changed though. I wouldn't chalk it up to just boredom or something type related.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure about this. On one hand, I have lost sight of how I feel about many things after getting caught up in trying to react correctly so everyone would like me and never leave. On the other hand, I'm still very focused on relational distance between myself and others and on whether they like me. So... no?

Like I said to Niffweed earlier, I've really come to understand about the Base function being a cognitive lens. It's not something I can shut off; it's just how my mind works.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I still use Se on a regular basis, and I tend to focus on one goal at a time until it reaches completion or an insurmountable obstacle, but there are other sensory things about me that I have come to lose touch with.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Ryene said, it is just how your mind works. How you think and perceive the world. You can't get bored of it. You can get bored of activities/sensations/ideas/routines etc. etc. etc. and people do of course. All the time. We all want variety and interest and new challenges and experiences. But your brain doesn't get tired of being your brain.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Do you think its possible that personalities grow numb to their own base function?

For example: I spent most of my teen years doing fast paced extreme sports, video games, etc. These all got boring, and eventually I dropped the expensive addictive sensory stimulating activities and went for more "meaningful" experiences.

As an Se dom, I also experience pressure of objects around me at all times. I can sense their trajectories, pressures, weights, textures, viscosity etc. For this reason cafeterias make me nearly autistic because everything is wet and you don't know what anything is but I can sense it all around me. When I was young, I used to get very powerful pleasing sensations when staring through colored glass. I'd hold transparent lego pieces up to my eyes to make the world a different color, I'd look through grape soda bottles to see the distorted colored reality. As the years progressed these pleasing sensations dropped until at this point I almost never feel them anymore. I used to have this daydream where I'd sit in a black hallway with colored columns that lit the hallway and cast diamonds of green light on the ground while a deep bass hum reverberated in the background. These sorts of pure sensory experiences no longer come to me anymore as I get older. I did it again recently and focussed on the colors really hard, and actually managed to artificially get that excited feeling I used to get. But its still very hard to accomplish.

I know several Feeling dominant personalities who will watch extremely fucked up anime's and listen to music that is "disturbing" simply because it makes them feel SOMETHING.

Do you think its possible that personalities eventually grow bored of their base function and try to experience other things? If so, is there anything similar you experience?
    The reason for this "base function numbness" it that you have removed yourself from social settings that require you to make a lot of use of Se (such as the military). Now that you no longer are forced to use it, you natural inclinations take over. I.e. you are in the transformation process of becoming your true self.

I have spoken.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking