Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can weak senses make your intuition stronger?

Banned
    TIM
    Enneagram 8
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can weak senses make your intuition stronger?

Let me start off by saying I wear contact lenses and when they are in I rely almost fully on my senses such as sight, smell, taste, etc. But without my lenses I seem to rely on extroverted intuition instead to gather information instead due to the fact my senses have in a sense been crippled. Could this effect the outcome of the information gathering part of a person's personality?
    Last edited by Ron Mexico; 03-09-2014 at 07:07 PM.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Transkar View Post
    Let me start off by saying I wear contact lenses and when they are in I rely almost fully on my senses such as sight, smell, taste, etc. But without my lenses I seem to rely on extroverted intuition instead to gather information instead due to the fact my senses have in a sense been crippled. Could this effect the outcome of the information gathering part of a person's personality? I thought for the longest time I was ILE but now I am pretty sure I am SLI.
    While I think it may be true that prohibiting the sense of sight strengthens other senses, it does not however have any impact on one's personality type. Being an intuitive or a sensor does not mean your senses are weaker or stronger as that is a gross oversimplification. Imo, If you thought you were an ILE and you now consider yourself to be an SLI, then there are most likely other factors that caused the confusion and you should try to figure out what they are.
    Last edited by Raver; 01-08-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: proofreading
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have contact lenses. I wonder what type I used to be.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post
    I have contact lenses. I wonder what type I used to be.
    SEE.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of the Information Elements as they are seen are really based around being able to notice the details of actual objects: Se is more about force and power and control; Si is more about how things personally feel to you. Also, the parts relating to how things appear are probably supplemented in your brain by other senses- like blind people gaining more sensitive hearing. Or Daredevil.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Let me start off by saying I wear contact lenses and when they are in I rely almost fully on my senses such as sight, smell, taste, etc. But without my lenses I seem to rely on extroverted intuition instead to gather information instead due to the fact my senses have in a sense been crippled. Could this effect the outcome of the information gathering part of a person's personality? I thought for the longest time I was ILE but now I am pretty sure I am SLI.
    *sigh* Please explain how touch, hearing, taste, smell and any of the other nontraditional senses attributed to your skin are affected by contact lenses. Then what ClownsandEntropy said.
    Reason is a whore.

Creepy-pikachu

Having sex in the dark = Ni. Check.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is so stupid. my feelings are hurt.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys seem harsh on the new kid...
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

LOL

No. because...because...because...

I find that people who are S types and lose all their capability to experience very immobile and depressed. So it doesn't make them more N, it makes them more volatile to other emotions like depression and stuff that's not type related.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you live in a cave or an area of prolonged darkness for too long, you will go blind, because your brain says "... won't be needing these anymore!"

As such, your brain adjusts your senses much the way a car regulates fluid levels. So when you lose a sense, others get stronger.

Idunno if your intuition gets stronger though. I've always thought intuition is just an aftereffect of conscious or unconscious sensory data.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

When I started to need glasses, my intuition levelled up so much. I don't plan for the future, now.

Because I am the future.

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

If weak senses increase intuition, the inverse is true too: strong sense weakens intuition. I have 20/15 eyes, a very acute sense of smell and am decently athletic. My sense of smell just makes me more aware of the food I don't like, my good eyes mean I can pay less attention to my surroundings and being fit means I can be thinking and daydreaming while I run around the mountains. So basically, I don't think so.

Banned
    TIM
    Enneagram 8
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this should be re-looked at again. You guys can talk all the smack you want, but it would be natural actually to rely more on your intuition with the declination of your senses. Your intuition is the sixth sense, so in actuality when one goes bad the others increase.

So I have a few things to say to you morons on here.

GuavaDrunk - Go get drunk on your own stupidity
    Blackburry - You should instead revel and bathe in your own stupidity
    Narc - Your jokes suck

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Blackburry can pull that off only when she asks for another ban for herself. Crazie rat status is unbeatable so far.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good you're talking back at em. Ideas should be given a chance, damnit. BTW some blind ppl invent echolocation to make up for it.
    Last edited by kopyk; 03-10-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ath View Post
    Good you're talking back at em. Ideas should be given a chance, damnit. BTW some blind ppl invent echolocation to make up it.
    adaptation: the reason why functions exist in the first place

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Chesney View Post
    adaptation: the reason why functions exist in the first place
    Indeed. We can trust our senses cuz if we couldn't, evolution wouldn't have them the way it did. This world is huge, vast, complex. Individual capability is so small, so negligible. One person outta billions ain't special and can do close to nothing, esp if he spreads himself thin i.e. become a jack-of-all-trades. This is why archetypes, types and all that exist in the first place, and why they don't change at the whims of humans... ppl are ultimately only of limited control of what transpire here on earth.
    Last edited by kopyk; 03-09-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed. We can trust our senses cuz if we couldn't, evolution wouldn't have them the way it did. This world is huge, vast, complex. Individual capability is so small, so negligible. One person outta billions ain't special and can do close to nothing, esp if he spreads himself thin i.e. become a jack-of-trades. This is why archetypes, types and all that exist in the first place, and why they don't change at the whims of humans... ppl are ultimately only of limited control of what transpire here on earth.
    exceptionally well-put

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personal anedocte: I have a great eyesight and I'm an N type, my girlfriend has poor eyesight and she's an S type. I can read stuff that's fairly far away from me, notice people I know that are walking far away etc. but she's still much, much better at handling visual details such as if something's missing or out of place in a powerpoint presentation, if something's even just slightly dirty, if a person's hairstyle has changed, and so on. Whereas I notice a whole lot of stuff, 99% of which has absolutely no use and relevance in today's world (for example, I'm awesome at orienteering and remembering maps). I still like it this way
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I know 3 young ppl (including myself) who are myopic. 2 are sensors. Myopia has been correlated to higher intelligence.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me start off by saying I wear contact lenses and when they are in I rely almost fully on my senses such as sight, smell, taste, etc. But without my lenses I seem to rely on extroverted intuition instead to gather information instead due to the fact my senses have in a sense been crippled. Could this effect the outcome of the information gathering part of a person's personality?
    perception is a rudimentary physiological function that, by itself, doesn't correspond to any cognitive function. IEs deal with apperception:

"the mental process by which a person makes sense of an idea by assimilating it to the body of ideas he or she already possesses."

know the difference.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

No
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There may be causation the other way. Intuition means weak Si and possibly ignoring your eyes getting tired of days of reading books or staring in to monitor. Also not caring that your eyesight has gotten worse. I had been at times walking around in glasses at least one degree too weak and also dirty, thinking "I don't need sight. I got vision"...

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

intuition as in guessing things and being better at it or intuition as in Ne and Ni?
    -

Banned
    TIM
    Enneagram 8
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    perception is a rudimentary physiological function that, by itself, doesn't correspond to any cognitive function. IEs deal with apperception:

"the mental process by which a person makes sense of an idea by assimilating it to the body of ideas he or she already possesses."

know the difference.
    Intuition is not physiological...especially because it cannot be physically measured this time.

Nothing is real. So tomorrow doesn't matter.
    TIM
    iei infp type 7?or 4
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could be a clairvoyantique spirit, perhaps
    Without lenses, you are dropped in the physical, to stumble search upon what could fulfil your needs,
    still that part of you cannot trust what you find becos it is not based on what you are about...

Could be wisdom for you or just information..only you would know

So, yes, it could affect your personality, but not all.. now that will be based upon what else they been into...

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intuition is not physiological...especially because it cannot be physically measured this time.
    yes, that's what i said. and neither is Sensing.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this should be re-looked at again. You guys can talk all the smack you want, but it would be natural actually to rely more on your intuition with the declination of your senses. Your intuition is the sixth sense, so in actuality when one goes bad the others increase.

So I have a few things to say to you morons on here.

GuavaDrunk - Go get drunk on your own stupidity
    Blackburry - You should instead revel and bathe in your own stupidity
    Narc - Your jokes suck
    If we were talking about intuition in the colloqual sense your OP makes sense and so does your rage.

Since we're on a socionics forum Intuition means something else (unless you want to retroactively go for colloqual intuition, which, is kinda a weak but legitemate move...). That means your OP makes no sense in the language we're speaking here, it just doesn't relate well to the concepts discussed (Sensing, Intuition as stated above have somewhat different meanings here). So...

Also, dude, agression much?

@Guavedrunk, @blackburry @Narc: Your jokes rule

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know 3 young ppl (including myself) who are myopic. 2 are sensors. Myopia has been correlated to higher intelligence.
    "/.../ it was reported that myopic children regardless of their IQ gain better school achievements /.../"
    Ah, so really, these children have better attention span for reading.

Banned
    TIM
    Enneagram 8
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reficulris View Post
    If we were talking about intuition in the colloqual sense your OP makes sense and so does your rage.

Since we're on a socionics forum Intuition means something else (unless you want to retroactively go for colloqual intuition, which, is kinda a weak but legitemate move...). That means your OP makes no sense in the language we're speaking here, it just doesn't relate well to the concepts discussed (Sensing, Intuition as stated above have somewhat different meanings here). So...

Also, dude, agression much?

@Guavedrunk, @blackburry @Narc: Your jokes rule
    Lol, out of all the ILEs on this forum you have number one spot of sissiest, so I don't mind your rhetoric, Venus Quixote. Learn how to spell too before you speak to me again.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lol, out of all the ILEs on this forum you have number one spot of sissiest, so I don't mind your rhetoric, Venus Quixote. Learn how to spell too before you speak to me again.
    What is Venus Quixote? Is that liek a Quixote, who doesn't wear nappies?

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Direct mechanism sensation is probably not in the domain of socionic information element. IMO, based on the structure of the brain, information process is a fairly new development and mostly a cortex, neo-cortex level development.

However information elements can be connected to pre-cortex functions in the brain, I believe sensing information elements to simply be connected to direct sensation mechanisms, and about direct sensation mechanism where as intuition is the isolation away from direct sensation mechanisms. The key to intuition is actually that it is disconnected from sensation mechanism, this isolation from sensation mechanisms creates a situation where other information can be analyzed in potential, possibility, visions, imagination, concepts, etc. Sensory experience taking priority would mask the potential/unreal with the real and direct sensation mechanism and eliminate this isolation.

Sensation as a information element also has uses in the design of sensory experiences and the execution of physical tasks which requires sensory experience.

One interesting news story about an individual who can only walk if he conscious focus on walking, and only if he sees his feet/thinks about it in minutia, if his hands leave his field of vision or his feet, he falls down. He is normal otherwise, but if he's not focusing ever moment on doing these basic unconscious physical tasks, he just collapses. This shows that the conscious sensory systems in a way overrides and interact with unconscious sensory systems. I think this individual may also have no sensation as well. I'm not sure the exact case but I'll find it. IMO, sensation as we talk about in socionics is quite different than sensation as a whole, which includes a lot more structures than Socionics can describe.

Banned
    TIM
    Enneagram 8
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    What is Venus Quixote? Is that liek a Quixote, who doesn't wear nappies?
    All of us were proud nappy wearers at some point in our lives.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

All of us were proud nappy wearers at some point in our lives.
    I wore leaves.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, you strike me a an unneccesary unappealing character. Consider yourself lucky, you made the ignore list which is more attention than your stupidity should net you.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My job is done here.

Banned
    TIM
    Enneagram 8
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    My job is done here.
    Consider yourself lucky I dont put you on the ignore list!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast